Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Car insurance question 22:03 - Jan 3 with 1442 viewsstowmarketrange

My neighbour has had her driving licence suspended due to her ongoing cancer treatment and she obviously can’t drive her car.Her son has his own comprehensive insurance policy and can therefore drive her car with permission and on 3rd party terms normally,but does her not being able to drive herself invalidate her car policy?That means that the car won’t be insured and liable to be seized by the police.
Any help would be appreciated.Thanks.
Car insurance question on 10:26 - Jan 4 with 1229 viewsfrancisbowles

I don't know for sure but isn't it the driver who needs to be insured, not the car. Maybe citizens advice could provide accurate information.
Car insurance question on 11:43 - Jan 4 with 1112 viewsstowmarketrange

Car insurance question on 10:26 - Jan 4 by francisbowles

I don't know for sure but isn't it the driver who needs to be insured, not the car. Maybe citizens advice could provide accurate information.

I thought every car had to have a policy as well as the driver to be used on the road.If the car hasn’t got a policy covering it the car can be seized.
She hasn’t spoken to her insurance company yet so that might the way to go first.Thanks.
Car insurance question on 11:52 - Jan 4 with 1091 viewskensalriser

Def call the insurance company. However, just because she can't drive the car on public roads doesn't mean she can't have insurance on the car - what about damage or theft?

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Car insurance question on 11:59 - Jan 4 with 1083 viewsqprmike

Definitely speak to her insurer but there is no need to cancel the policy. Also be careful driving other cars extension isn't on all policies and excludes fire and theft it's only really there as an emergency. Probably better to be added to her policy.
Sorry to hear her news.
Car insurance question on 12:40 - Jan 4 with 1023 viewsqpr85

Worked for a car insurance company for 8 years and yes he will be fine to drive the car on a third party basis.
However the insurance company must be told that the licence has been suspended which will then change the policy. The price may go up or even invalidate the insurance depending on the answers given.

Should they allow to continue the it's always best to change the regular driver anyway as third party only is rubbish in terms of cover. If you change the regular driver then you will have to change insurers anyway.

If she feels, and I hope the best for her, that she will be driving within 2 years then change the regular driver as her no claims discount bonus can be held for 2 years.

If it's only short term and they want to risk it the other option is adding on as a secondary driver and he will be covered the same as her current policy. This does mean neglecting to tell the insurers about the suspension to her license.
I do have to warn this is fraud but if she's not driving it's pretty much the same as not telling the insurance company about the "wicked new alloys" you've gotten off eBay or the specs being changed on the car.

If in any doubt call the insurance company.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024