Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What's needed then? 18:03 - Aug 10 with 6684 viewsRoChDaLe

What's everyone's thoughts on what we need to add to the squad after two competitive games then?

Firstly, i feel we definitely need a holding midfielder who's got some height and strength because at the moment we really aren't competitive enough (physically) with a midfield of Allen,Cannon and Mcdermott/Camps. Teams will quickly pick up on this lack of height and power in the midfield and it'll become a bigger problem. Secondly, a proper left back is a must as Mcnulty (despite playing well last night) will get found out there and goals will be conceded due to his obvious lack of pace... every through ball either on the outside of him or in between him and Canavan looks a threat every time as proven by Peterborough's first goal. Finally and the most obvious one is we definitely need another CB to add cover or push for a starting place. Thoughts?

how is anthony elding still in league one?

What's needed then? on 22:13 - Aug 16 with 1469 viewsSaxonDale

Haven't been so far this season so could be very far off, apologies if that is the case. However through comments on here/Daleplayer/ highlights I reckon we need,

- A left back. It is clear that McNulty is being targeted down the left hand side and unfortunately after a good end to the season is becoming exposed. I haven't seen Tanser for about 12 months but he did look like he had regressed then, if that's the case bring someone new in.

- A holding midfielder. Someone who's a bit nasty. I saw Jason Taylor was released earlier by Northampton and although he may no longer be the player he was a few years ago he's the style of player I would like. We've got one of the best midfields in the league but we seem to be missing bite. Get someone who allows Allen, Camps, Cannon and Lund to concentrate on their game.

- A goalscorer. Yes I'm probably dreaming too much but we need someone who simply knows how to put the ball in the net. We don't have an option in the entire squad of someone who will take the chances consistently if presented to them and I think too often we don't have enough game changers coming off the bench.

- A leader. Maybe this is already in the squad, but we need someone who will bollock players for giving away stupid free kicks, who will bollock players for not sticking with their man on corners. As a team we're not doing the basics right and it seems we need someone on the pitch making sure we start doing them again.
What's needed then? on 22:15 - Aug 16 with 1465 views442Dale

What's needed then? on 22:13 - Aug 16 by SaxonDale

Haven't been so far this season so could be very far off, apologies if that is the case. However through comments on here/Daleplayer/ highlights I reckon we need,

- A left back. It is clear that McNulty is being targeted down the left hand side and unfortunately after a good end to the season is becoming exposed. I haven't seen Tanser for about 12 months but he did look like he had regressed then, if that's the case bring someone new in.

- A holding midfielder. Someone who's a bit nasty. I saw Jason Taylor was released earlier by Northampton and although he may no longer be the player he was a few years ago he's the style of player I would like. We've got one of the best midfields in the league but we seem to be missing bite. Get someone who allows Allen, Camps, Cannon and Lund to concentrate on their game.

- A goalscorer. Yes I'm probably dreaming too much but we need someone who simply knows how to put the ball in the net. We don't have an option in the entire squad of someone who will take the chances consistently if presented to them and I think too often we don't have enough game changers coming off the bench.

- A leader. Maybe this is already in the squad, but we need someone who will bollock players for giving away stupid free kicks, who will bollock players for not sticking with their man on corners. As a team we're not doing the basics right and it seems we need someone on the pitch making sure we start doing them again.

Add a centre half to that list.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

What's needed then? on 22:16 - Aug 16 with 1443 viewsSaxonDale

What's needed then? on 22:15 - Aug 16 by 442Dale

Add a centre half to that list.

Oops, that was supposed to be top of my list. Agree centre half is essential.
What's needed then? on 22:25 - Aug 16 with 1387 viewsrich_dale

What's needed then? on 22:13 - Aug 16 by SaxonDale

You could argue we've got this already if we get some confidence and stability in the team and play people in the right positions. Tanser may just need faith put in him and confidence building back up; Hendo is a good finisher and a 20 goal a season player when played in the right position, and should be played further forward; Lund is a tenacious midfielder and can play the holding role, and Logan can certainly be vocal and organise the defence. We do need CB cover but McGahey and Cav need time to gel too. Wouldn't rule out giving McGahey and McNulty a go as a partnership too - always thought Jim looks decent at CB with the right partner.
What's needed then? on 22:30 - Aug 16 with 1341 viewsD_Alien

What's needed then? on 22:25 - Aug 16 by rich_dale

You could argue we've got this already if we get some confidence and stability in the team and play people in the right positions. Tanser may just need faith put in him and confidence building back up; Hendo is a good finisher and a 20 goal a season player when played in the right position, and should be played further forward; Lund is a tenacious midfielder and can play the holding role, and Logan can certainly be vocal and organise the defence. We do need CB cover but McGahey and Cav need time to gel too. Wouldn't rule out giving McGahey and McNulty a go as a partnership too - always thought Jim looks decent at CB with the right partner.

As you say. All it needs is for Hill to stop farting about and select a starting eleven where each player can have confidence in the job they're asked to do. What he's done so far is the opposite, and it's no good any of us having a go at individual performances under such circumstances.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

What's needed then? on 22:32 - Aug 16 with 1325 viewsNinco

I'm not normally one to diss Keith Hill, but I think it was a mistake to make that comment at the end of last season saying that he wouldn't rush in to signing anyone and would wait to see what's available in August. By that time, anyone worth signing had gone to other clubs and we end up with the cheap leftovers that nobody wants. We now have a defence which is so slow that they look outclassed every week. We are playing McNulty at left back when he would be more use sat in the stands or collecting the stray balls from Denehurst Cemetery. I would certainly either put Tanser there or sign a recognised left back. I also wouldn't pick Lillis week in and week out. He is making mistakes. I would give Conrad Logan a run out and if Lillis then goes on to perform well in training, by all means let him win his place back, but he needs to win it back on merit and not just be given the place every week regardless of how he plays. I also don't think that Keith Hill publicly saying he could have gone to another club is a good idea. If I was a player, it wouldn't give me any incentive to stay at the club if I knew the manager wasn't interested in staying. The only other thing I would like to see is a faster tempo. For me, that worked, then they decided to slow it down a bit.
What's needed then? on 06:14 - Aug 17 with 1197 viewsfitzochris

Last night's line-up made it clear we don't have enough quality cover for key areas of the pitch. We have a lot of make-do players for these positions.

The entire backline needs cover and a first choice left back, and we need a proper striker. Arguably we need even more than that.

Incidentally, for those musing the "Championship player" Hill wanted on loan, two of those mooted - Davies and Hugill - both featured for their clubs last night.
[Post edited 17 Aug 2016 6:15]

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024