Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Same old Rochdale 07:11 - Mar 2 with 10810 viewsdean7321

Winning against the big teams them losing against the smaller teams

Poll: best ever center back

Same old Rochdale on 12:45 - Mar 3 with 2494 viewsTalkingSutty

Same old Rochdale on 08:24 - Mar 3 by fitzochris

Nobody is saying that bigger crowds give the opposition an advantage on the day (although I wouldn't completely discount that). Look at my earlier post. I categorically state that we can get too caught up in the stature of the clubs we are playing against and what we deem "big and small".

However, at the same time, I'll always maintain it is worth remembering that most teams in this division are better resourced than us.

The fact we compete at this level at all is cause for celebration and hat-tipping towards the coaching staff.

Most teams in league two and some in the National League have bigger budgets than us, we all know that, it's always been the same. I don't think we need reminding, it's ingrained in us.

In every fixture there are financial differentials between opposing teams but at league one level it isn't something that effects the final result on a consistent basis. If that was the case Clubs like Sheffield United and Portsmouth (2) would have been promoted a long time ago and Burton wouldn't be top of the pile.

Consistency throughout the Club is important and in Hilly we have one of the best managers in the lower leagues. He isn't above criticism,but in general we would be hard pushed to get anybody better.
[Post edited 3 Mar 2016 12:49]
Same old Rochdale on 13:03 - Mar 3 with 2439 viewsfitzochris

Same old Rochdale on 12:45 - Mar 3 by TalkingSutty

Most teams in league two and some in the National League have bigger budgets than us, we all know that, it's always been the same. I don't think we need reminding, it's ingrained in us.

In every fixture there are financial differentials between opposing teams but at league one level it isn't something that effects the final result on a consistent basis. If that was the case Clubs like Sheffield United and Portsmouth (2) would have been promoted a long time ago and Burton wouldn't be top of the pile.

Consistency throughout the Club is important and in Hilly we have one of the best managers in the lower leagues. He isn't above criticism,but in general we would be hard pushed to get anybody better.
[Post edited 3 Mar 2016 12:49]

I think some people do need reminding about our resources when I read certain comments on here.

The rest of your post sees us in agreement, though. We have a good coach that allows us to compete at this level while living within our means.

You raise good points about the bigger clubs foundering at this level. I can't comment on any detail about how those clubs are run, but I'd bet there are issues that could be managed better. A lot have the attitude that chucking money at the issue will guarantee success.

Burton are (as far as I can tell) living within their means. They're doing the surprise package thing really well and haven't been derailed by JFH's departure. They've gone about things the right way and their success is a genuine one. In his post-match interview, Hill said the best season to achieve a top six finish in League One is your first. After that, everyone knows what you're about.
[Post edited 3 Mar 2016 13:07]

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Same old Rochdale on 13:33 - Mar 3 with 2389 viewsTalkingSutty

Same old Rochdale on 13:03 - Mar 3 by fitzochris

I think some people do need reminding about our resources when I read certain comments on here.

The rest of your post sees us in agreement, though. We have a good coach that allows us to compete at this level while living within our means.

You raise good points about the bigger clubs foundering at this level. I can't comment on any detail about how those clubs are run, but I'd bet there are issues that could be managed better. A lot have the attitude that chucking money at the issue will guarantee success.

Burton are (as far as I can tell) living within their means. They're doing the surprise package thing really well and haven't been derailed by JFH's departure. They've gone about things the right way and their success is a genuine one. In his post-match interview, Hill said the best season to achieve a top six finish in League One is your first. After that, everyone knows what you're about.
[Post edited 3 Mar 2016 13:07]

Stability is the key I think. Stability in the boardroom and most importantly in the managerial seat.
Same old Rochdale on 21:25 - Mar 3 with 2242 viewsrochdaleriddler

Same old Rochdale on 08:27 - Mar 2 by TalkingSutty

Players playing for contracts should ensure there's no taking the foot off the gas,lets see what happens. As a manager you want players who detest losing games,even the meaningless ones,if there is such a thing.

as i travelled to the game, i feel that i wasted my time and money. There was v little effort on show, and that is inexcusable. I am now not going to go to Coventry, as i cannot justify the expenditure. Im not being negative, i can forgive defeat, but not the ineptitude i saw tuesday

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Same old Rochdale on 07:47 - Mar 4 with 2176 viewshowy10

Same old Rochdale on 21:25 - Mar 3 by rochdaleriddler

as i travelled to the game, i feel that i wasted my time and money. There was v little effort on show, and that is inexcusable. I am now not going to go to Coventry, as i cannot justify the expenditure. Im not being negative, i can forgive defeat, but not the ineptitude i saw tuesday

Very well said. We know the players can beat the best. It is whether they can be arsed for certain games. The difference between us and Burton is the latter have a desire to win every single game and they probably hurt on the rare occasion that they fail to win. Do we?
Same old Rochdale on 08:34 - Mar 4 with 2147 viewsTalkingSutty

Same old Rochdale on 07:47 - Mar 4 by howy10

Very well said. We know the players can beat the best. It is whether they can be arsed for certain games. The difference between us and Burton is the latter have a desire to win every single game and they probably hurt on the rare occasion that they fail to win. Do we?

I don't know the answer to that but I know in the past we have had certain characters in the team who wouldn't allow that to happen. We haven't had a leader in the team since Dawson departed.

What was the excuse for not matching Shrewsburys intensity? Maybe it's a subject we touched on last week, they are playing in League One for a reason and consistent performances is something they struggle to achieve. We expect too much maybe.

[Post edited 4 Mar 2016 8:50]
Same old Rochdale on 09:11 - Mar 4 with 2124 viewsdingdangblue

Same old Rochdale on 08:34 - Mar 4 by TalkingSutty

I don't know the answer to that but I know in the past we have had certain characters in the team who wouldn't allow that to happen. We haven't had a leader in the team since Dawson departed.

What was the excuse for not matching Shrewsburys intensity? Maybe it's a subject we touched on last week, they are playing in League One for a reason and consistent performances is something they struggle to achieve. We expect too much maybe.

[Post edited 4 Mar 2016 8:50]

I mentioned it earlier - but the fact we had just won the last 2 probably led to Tuesdays non performance? The players should have been buzzing and up for it but it seems this current lot haven't got it in them to put a winning run together.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Same old Rochdale on 09:49 - Mar 4 with 2102 viewsTalkingSutty

Same old Rochdale on 09:11 - Mar 4 by dingdangblue

I mentioned it earlier - but the fact we had just won the last 2 probably led to Tuesdays non performance? The players should have been buzzing and up for it but it seems this current lot haven't got it in them to put a winning run together.

It must be driving Hill mad. I can't imagine he didn't reinforce to the players prior to leaving the changing rooms that Shrewsbury will be fighting for their league one lives and to expect them to be right in their faces. The players should have realised that themselves,are too many of them in the comfort zone,are they hungry enough?
[Post edited 4 Mar 2016 9:53]
Login to get fewer ads

Same old Rochdale on 10:02 - Mar 4 with 2080 viewsDaleiLama

Same old Rochdale on 09:49 - Mar 4 by TalkingSutty

It must be driving Hill mad. I can't imagine he didn't reinforce to the players prior to leaving the changing rooms that Shrewsbury will be fighting for their league one lives and to expect them to be right in their faces. The players should have realised that themselves,are too many of them in the comfort zone,are they hungry enough?
[Post edited 4 Mar 2016 9:53]

Listening to some of his recent interviews, it's clear when he refers to individual performances that not everyone Is pulling their weight every week - something of a novelty during his time at Dale. I sense he is frustrated reading between the lines, but he sees the bigger picture and is biding his time.

I'm leaning toward Fitz's view - there could be several new faces brought in during the summer with a view to (a) bringing greater consistency and (b) getting a message across.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Same old Rochdale on 10:07 - Mar 4 with 2076 viewsaleanddale

Same old Rochdale on 10:02 - Mar 4 by DaleiLama

Listening to some of his recent interviews, it's clear when he refers to individual performances that not everyone Is pulling their weight every week - something of a novelty during his time at Dale. I sense he is frustrated reading between the lines, but he sees the bigger picture and is biding his time.

I'm leaning toward Fitz's view - there could be several new faces brought in during the summer with a view to (a) bringing greater consistency and (b) getting a message across.

C. Putting a run together of wins ( more than 2 )

Did we manage 3 league 1 wins on the trot last season?

9/9 points is massive when your looking to retain league one status. It means you only need 43 points from the other 43 games.
Same old Rochdale on 10:19 - Mar 4 with 2067 viewsdingdangblue

Same old Rochdale on 10:07 - Mar 4 by aleanddale

C. Putting a run together of wins ( more than 2 )

Did we manage 3 league 1 wins on the trot last season?

9/9 points is massive when your looking to retain league one status. It means you only need 43 points from the other 43 games.

Yes 3 great runs last season:
Sept:
Walsall 4-0
Coventry 1-0
Orient 3-2

Oct/Nov:
Swindon 3-2
Yeovil 3-0
Preston 3-0

March: Won 4/5
Crewe 4-0
Colchester 2-1
Fleetwood 0-1
Notts 2-1
Scunthorpe 3-1

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10

Same old Rochdale on 10:30 - Mar 4 with 2060 viewsTalkingSutty

Col suggested in a post that he seemed to think Hilly wouldn't be releasing many players at the end of the season ( Apologies Col if I have read that wrong). I will be very dissapointed if that's the case.

There are not enough players knocking down the door to cement a place in the starting eleven. Loads on the periphery who come up with the occasional little cameo then dissapear again. It's a falicy to suggest there are no players out there who we could attract and not an excuse to just settle with what we have. We have plenty of players in the squad who have failed to progress this year and are really just using up a wage.
Same old Rochdale on 10:42 - Mar 4 with 2041 viewsdingdangblue

Same old Rochdale on 10:30 - Mar 4 by TalkingSutty

Col suggested in a post that he seemed to think Hilly wouldn't be releasing many players at the end of the season ( Apologies Col if I have read that wrong). I will be very dissapointed if that's the case.

There are not enough players knocking down the door to cement a place in the starting eleven. Loads on the periphery who come up with the occasional little cameo then dissapear again. It's a falicy to suggest there are no players out there who we could attract and not an excuse to just settle with what we have. We have plenty of players in the squad who have failed to progress this year and are really just using up a wage.

Rose, Kennedy, RNL, Lancashire to go?
Bennett hasn't improved but has been injury prone again - can we carry such a player? He seems to like Bunney and he wont be on much of a wage - will that save him? Tanser has been injury prone/out of form also. I imagine Lillis will be going also.

Same old Rochdale on 10:43 - Mar 4 with 2039 viewsfitzochris

I have to say, my view is based on nothing more than a reading between the lines of Hill's comments during the transfer window.

To my mind, he was saying he tried to shift people on at that point but they were content to sit on their contracts until the summer, at which point he would release them.

A lot can happen between now and then to change his mind, but I do think a freshening up of the squad is necessary at the season's end.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Same old Rochdale on 10:59 - Mar 4 with 2005 viewsTalkingSutty

Same old Rochdale on 10:42 - Mar 4 by dingdangblue

Rose, Kennedy, RNL, Lancashire to go?
Bennett hasn't improved but has been injury prone again - can we carry such a player? He seems to like Bunney and he wont be on much of a wage - will that save him? Tanser has been injury prone/out of form also. I imagine Lillis will be going also.

Some are contracted ( not sure who) so my list won't be possible to enforce. These are the ones I would release. I might have missed the odd one off the top of my head.

RNL
Mendez Laing
Rose
Alessandra
Tanser
Bennett
Kennedy
Lancashire
McDermott
Bunney
Andrew
Bell
Diba

I could be persuaded regarding Rose and Bunney to give them another season, Rose is a handy squad player and keeps himself fit. Andrew is a decent target man but doesn't score enough, maybe playing a league above his level. The rest I have never rated or seen no progression.

My main reason for releasing 5 or 6 of those is their inability to complete a full football match, their lack of stamina and constant inability to stay fit. It means we are carrying them for the duration of the season and those wages could be better utilised. There's no excuse for a professional footballer to waddle around a football pitch after half an hour of exertion.

The whole squads a mish mash and needs a good sorting out. Obviously Hilly can only do so much with the budget he's afforded,and at the end of the day it now looks as though league one status will be secured. Which he should be given big credit for.
[Post edited 4 Mar 2016 11:50]
Same old Rochdale on 11:52 - Mar 4 with 1780 viewsdingdangblue

Same old Rochdale on 10:59 - Mar 4 by TalkingSutty

Some are contracted ( not sure who) so my list won't be possible to enforce. These are the ones I would release. I might have missed the odd one off the top of my head.

RNL
Mendez Laing
Rose
Alessandra
Tanser
Bennett
Kennedy
Lancashire
McDermott
Bunney
Andrew
Bell
Diba

I could be persuaded regarding Rose and Bunney to give them another season, Rose is a handy squad player and keeps himself fit. Andrew is a decent target man but doesn't score enough, maybe playing a league above his level. The rest I have never rated or seen no progression.

My main reason for releasing 5 or 6 of those is their inability to complete a full football match, their lack of stamina and constant inability to stay fit. It means we are carrying them for the duration of the season and those wages could be better utilised. There's no excuse for a professional footballer to waddle around a football pitch after half an hour of exertion.

The whole squads a mish mash and needs a good sorting out. Obviously Hilly can only do so much with the budget he's afforded,and at the end of the day it now looks as though league one status will be secured. Which he should be given big credit for.
[Post edited 4 Mar 2016 11:50]

I can see your point about Mendez-Laing and McDermott having their 'fitness issues' but both have been matchwinners for us more than once this season. We don't want to end up with 18 players who can just run for 90 mins. I would give both another year if wages aren't an issue - cant see either being top earners?

Same old Rochdale on 12:11 - Mar 4 with 1750 viewsTalkingSutty

Same old Rochdale on 11:52 - Mar 4 by dingdangblue

I can see your point about Mendez-Laing and McDermott having their 'fitness issues' but both have been matchwinners for us more than once this season. We don't want to end up with 18 players who can just run for 90 mins. I would give both another year if wages aren't an issue - cant see either being top earners?

They can be match winners i agree with that, but they can't stay on the pitch long enough. These are the reasons for the inconsistencies, the managers constantly having to change the team even during games,often not for tactical reasons.

Using substitutions at half time because players are knackered,or only being able to introduce them as substitutes because they can't last a match.I can never remember a season when we had so many players incapable of lasting a full ninety minutes or seemingly constantly injured.
Same old Rochdale on 12:20 - Mar 4 with 1727 viewsD_Alien

If I were RNL, NML and possibly McD I'd be shitting myself at the thought of one of Hilly's pre-season training schedules.

Holty showed what can be done by playing through the 90+ minutes on Tuesday. He must've been dead on his feet at the end, but he's made it clear how much he wanted it.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Same old Rochdale on 12:35 - Mar 4 with 1702 viewsTalkingSutty

Same old Rochdale on 12:20 - Mar 4 by D_Alien

If I were RNL, NML and possibly McD I'd be shitting myself at the thought of one of Hilly's pre-season training schedules.

Holty showed what can be done by playing through the 90+ minutes on Tuesday. He must've been dead on his feet at the end, but he's made it clear how much he wanted it.

Great point, he's obviously carrying a bit of timber and knocking on in age but that's the type of thing that winners do, and Holtys a winner!!
Same old Rochdale on 13:12 - Mar 4 with 1651 viewsdingdangblue

Same old Rochdale on 12:20 - Mar 4 by D_Alien

Weren't RNL and McDermott with us this pre season though?

Same old Rochdale on 15:30 - Mar 4 with 1600 viewsD_Alien

Same old Rochdale on 13:12 - Mar 4 by dingdangblue

Weren't RNL and McDermott with us this pre season though?

Aye. Fat lot of good it did RNL

Didn't McD pick up a knock pre-season which delayed his fitness programme? Or did I just imagine that?

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Same old Rochdale on 15:55 - Mar 4 with 1566 viewsChaffRAFC

McDermott has shown glimpses of the quality he has. He's a very good player and has had more of an impact this season than quite a few of the other lads. He came to us in piss poor condition by all accounts but I doubt we'll ever actually see him fully fit on a regular basis. Much like we never saw Paddy McCourt fully fit and for a few of the same reasons. We've got an option on his contract and for me, I'd be extending his stay here for another year. Plus the fact, I don't think he's on a big wage at all.

Nathaniel Mendez-Laing is another who's shown us how good he can be. He's put in a couple of outstanding displays and would probably benefit from a full pre-season with us so I reckon he's worth another year as well.

Reuben on the other hand, is a different story. This lad flattered to deceive last season and this was supposed to be the year we saw the best of him and we haven't. I know he's still only young but he's not done anywhere near enough to deserve a new deal and he'd be one of the first on the released list for me.

As it happens, the following players are out of contract this summer and here's what I'd do with their situations:

Jamie Allen (We have an option on his deal so would offer a new two year deal)
Calvin Andrew (Release, doesn't offer enough consistently and on a decent wage)
Rhys Bennett (Offer a new one year deal on reduced terms. Injury prone)
Joe Bunney (Release, doesn't offer anywhere near enough)
Ashley Eastham (Offer new one year deal on reduced terms)
Grant Holt (Offer one year deal, still offers enough to warrant a new one year deal)
Oliver Lancashire (Release, not good enough)
Josh Lillis (Release, on the basis we can get better than him, too expensive to be a no2)
Donal McDermott (Offer new one year deal)
Nathaniel Mendez-Laing (Offer new one year deal on reduced terms)
Reuben Noble-Lazarus (Release, not good enough, at all)
Joe Rafferty (Offer new one year deal, decent enough full back at this level)
Michael Rose (Release, always liked Rose but age is against him and isn't good enough anymore)
David Syers (Release, decent enough first game but done cock all since)

Then there's Niall Canavan who's out of contract at the end of the season but we've seen a couple of poor mistakes from him despite a couple of very impressive performances. Possibly a decent option but would expect us to look at better options for our centre half position.

So that's seven I'd release and I'd also offer Lewis Alessandra for transfer if Hill's not going to play him. He's the second highest earner at the club, or was before Holty joined and we need to spend that wage on someone who will be invaluable.

We're weak at the back, we're desperate for a holding midfielder if he isn't going to play Camps or Allen there on a regular basis and we can't keep playing Michael Rose as he spends most of his time giving the ball away. Letting Bunney, Andrew and Alessandra being out of the picture means we need to bring in another striking option as well. Obviously we need a keeper as well and I'm still hopeful that will be Conrad Logan. If we can do these things then I can see us challenging for a minimum of a top half position.

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

Same old Rochdale on 16:08 - Mar 4 with 1544 viewsaleanddale

3rd year syndrome!!

Let's get to 52 points!!

A busy summer looking at the above post. One where we need to trust hill to get it right. He usually does!.
Same old Rochdale on 18:32 - Mar 4 with 1467 viewsTalkingSutty

Same old Rochdale on 15:55 - Mar 4 by ChaffRAFC

McDermott has shown glimpses of the quality he has. He's a very good player and has had more of an impact this season than quite a few of the other lads. He came to us in piss poor condition by all accounts but I doubt we'll ever actually see him fully fit on a regular basis. Much like we never saw Paddy McCourt fully fit and for a few of the same reasons. We've got an option on his contract and for me, I'd be extending his stay here for another year. Plus the fact, I don't think he's on a big wage at all.

Nathaniel Mendez-Laing is another who's shown us how good he can be. He's put in a couple of outstanding displays and would probably benefit from a full pre-season with us so I reckon he's worth another year as well.

Reuben on the other hand, is a different story. This lad flattered to deceive last season and this was supposed to be the year we saw the best of him and we haven't. I know he's still only young but he's not done anywhere near enough to deserve a new deal and he'd be one of the first on the released list for me.

As it happens, the following players are out of contract this summer and here's what I'd do with their situations:

Jamie Allen (We have an option on his deal so would offer a new two year deal)
Calvin Andrew (Release, doesn't offer enough consistently and on a decent wage)
Rhys Bennett (Offer a new one year deal on reduced terms. Injury prone)
Joe Bunney (Release, doesn't offer anywhere near enough)
Ashley Eastham (Offer new one year deal on reduced terms)
Grant Holt (Offer one year deal, still offers enough to warrant a new one year deal)
Oliver Lancashire (Release, not good enough)
Josh Lillis (Release, on the basis we can get better than him, too expensive to be a no2)
Donal McDermott (Offer new one year deal)
Nathaniel Mendez-Laing (Offer new one year deal on reduced terms)
Reuben Noble-Lazarus (Release, not good enough, at all)
Joe Rafferty (Offer new one year deal, decent enough full back at this level)
Michael Rose (Release, always liked Rose but age is against him and isn't good enough anymore)
David Syers (Release, decent enough first game but done cock all since)

Then there's Niall Canavan who's out of contract at the end of the season but we've seen a couple of poor mistakes from him despite a couple of very impressive performances. Possibly a decent option but would expect us to look at better options for our centre half position.

So that's seven I'd release and I'd also offer Lewis Alessandra for transfer if Hill's not going to play him. He's the second highest earner at the club, or was before Holty joined and we need to spend that wage on someone who will be invaluable.

We're weak at the back, we're desperate for a holding midfielder if he isn't going to play Camps or Allen there on a regular basis and we can't keep playing Michael Rose as he spends most of his time giving the ball away. Letting Bunney, Andrew and Alessandra being out of the picture means we need to bring in another striking option as well. Obviously we need a keeper as well and I'm still hopeful that will be Conrad Logan. If we can do these things then I can see us challenging for a minimum of a top half position.

Excellent post, i dont agree with all of it but your opinions are similar to mine.We need to let quite a few go and a few others are skating on very thin ice.

The ones with general fitness issues such as blowing out of their arses after an hour would be the first out of the door,some have had a full season to get up to speed and still cant. Its the type of thing that happens at non league level and they let down the rest of the team.
Same old Rochdale on 20:24 - Mar 4 with 1396 viewsnordenblue

Same old Rochdale on 18:32 - Mar 4 by TalkingSutty

Excellent post, i dont agree with all of it but your opinions are similar to mine.We need to let quite a few go and a few others are skating on very thin ice.

The ones with general fitness issues such as blowing out of their arses after an hour would be the first out of the door,some have had a full season to get up to speed and still cant. Its the type of thing that happens at non league level and they let down the rest of the team.

By all accounts Donald McD will never be a 90 minute type of player,he apparently lives life/trains at a 1000 miles an hour and as a result burns out regularly.

He's a bit of a headache it seems,very talented player no doubt at all,just a shame he can't get his head properly into it.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024