Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
On "Blocking" or "Ignoring" Posters 14:32 - Aug 8 with 9340 viewsDavillin

On "Blocking" or "Ignoring" Posters

First and foremost, I'm writing about a tiny minority of posters on PlanetSwans. There are dozens of posters who are always courteous even in contention, and who not only disagree with me, often vigorously, but teach me while doing so, and there is another huge block of posters who can and do remain courteous at all times, even when not contending.

But, oh, the madness of some posters on PlanetSwans. One poster insults or disparages another poster, or misrepresents another poster's words, and the poster so put-upon blocks him. And who gets blamed for -- what? being inconsiderate? -- not the insulter, but the insulted.

What is offensive here? Blocking one who can't be civil? Or letting it be known that someone has been blocked?

Why is there an "ignore" feature on PlanetSwans? As a condiment to be put on hot dogs, perhaps? To be cut out and hung on a Christmas Tree (with apologies for bringing religion into this)?

As hard as this might be for a few to understand, I do not post on here or read posts in order to watch human beings attacking each other like rabid dogs. I do so in order to share thoughts about the Swans, to be amused by Welsh humour, and to engage in some intelligent discussions about important matters.

I do not appreciate foul language replacing argument, or being treated discourteously, or having my words twisted and the dishonest "misinterpretation" being used as if I said it. Those are the basic reasons why I block someone. Not having to read them helps me to maintain my peace of mind -- probably the main goal of my life in these troubled days.

To be quite honest, I would be deeply grateful to all of those who have either an unkind, sometimes even hateful, attitude toward me, or who feel intimidated [which is their fault, not mine], just block me! Please.

Unlike a few on here who think ill of me for blocking, I will appreciate being blocked. Even being told. Especially being told.

How often recently have we read many posters expressing concern about the deterioration of the discourse on PlanetSwans? So, let's start another "campaign." Everyone block people who are discourteous and twist words.

There would be two worthwhile results: (1) peace of mind for the blocker, and (2) shut down the real offenders -- kinda like voting them out with the "ignore" button.

I don't care. I'm old. I don't have to.
Poll: In which hemispheres will China's space station [or biggest piece] crash?

On "Blocking" or "Ignoring" Posters on 21:08 - Aug 9 with 1133 viewsperchrockjack

I've blocked, unblocked and then forgot whom I hated

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

On on 22:58 - Aug 9 with 1091 viewsMrSwerve

I haven't read half of the posts towards the end of this thread, but as an educator, I would be embarrassed to be called arrogant or pompous. If you want to put across an opinion, or argument, this is one of the worst things to be labelled as.

Intelligence doesn't always come into it; you have to put across your opinion and deal with the counter arguments without throwing your toys out of the pram.

There is a lot of hypocrisy in this thread.
[Post edited 9 Aug 2014 22:59]

Poll: Decision day - who wins the PL title?

On on 01:34 - Aug 10 with 1064 viewsDavillin

On on 22:58 - Aug 9 by MrSwerve

I haven't read half of the posts towards the end of this thread, but as an educator, I would be embarrassed to be called arrogant or pompous. If you want to put across an opinion, or argument, this is one of the worst things to be labelled as.

Intelligence doesn't always come into it; you have to put across your opinion and deal with the counter arguments without throwing your toys out of the pram.

There is a lot of hypocrisy in this thread.
[Post edited 9 Aug 2014 22:59]

Fascinating post.

Do you not see a difference between being arrogant or pompous and being "called" arrogant or pompous? Especially in a thread filled with ad hominem attacks?

When in a discussion on an intellectual level, don't you think it is in extremely poor taste to call the other party names? Like "arrogant" or "pompous"? In educated circles, I would be absolutely horrified to hear myself calling someone names, like "arrogant" or "pompous" -- even if he was both to an egregious level.

You wrote, "If you want to put across an opinion, or argument, this [arrogant or pompous] is one of the worst things to be labelled as [sic]." Worse than liar? Crude? Discourteous? Plagiarist? Misrepresentation of another's words? False accuser?

You wrote, "...you have to put across your opinion and deal with the counter arguments without throwing your toys out of the pram." I always deal with counter arguments when they are presented rationally and without rancour, insult, or false statements of what I write. I don't throw my toys out of the pram -- I block posters who don't know how to have a rational discussion. The posters who resort to ad hominem arguments and insult are 'throwing their toys out of the pram."

Do you know what an ad hominem argument is? Do you not see them being used over and over again in this thread -- always against me -- in spite of your not having read "half of the posts towards [sic] the end?. Do you think it intellectually honest to make judgments about me based on having read only half of the posts towards [sic] the end in one thread?

p.s. "As an educator," you should know not to use a preposition to end a sentence with.

I am not at all impressed.
[Post edited 10 Aug 2014 1:38]

On on 01:43 - Aug 10 with 1027 viewsJackoBoostardo

On on 01:34 - Aug 10 by Davillin

Fascinating post.

Do you not see a difference between being arrogant or pompous and being "called" arrogant or pompous? Especially in a thread filled with ad hominem attacks?

When in a discussion on an intellectual level, don't you think it is in extremely poor taste to call the other party names? Like "arrogant" or "pompous"? In educated circles, I would be absolutely horrified to hear myself calling someone names, like "arrogant" or "pompous" -- even if he was both to an egregious level.

You wrote, "If you want to put across an opinion, or argument, this [arrogant or pompous] is one of the worst things to be labelled as [sic]." Worse than liar? Crude? Discourteous? Plagiarist? Misrepresentation of another's words? False accuser?

You wrote, "...you have to put across your opinion and deal with the counter arguments without throwing your toys out of the pram." I always deal with counter arguments when they are presented rationally and without rancour, insult, or false statements of what I write. I don't throw my toys out of the pram -- I block posters who don't know how to have a rational discussion. The posters who resort to ad hominem arguments and insult are 'throwing their toys out of the pram."

Do you know what an ad hominem argument is? Do you not see them being used over and over again in this thread -- always against me -- in spite of your not having read "half of the posts towards [sic] the end?. Do you think it intellectually honest to make judgments about me based on having read only half of the posts towards [sic] the end in one thread?

p.s. "As an educator," you should know not to use a preposition to end a sentence with.

The funny thing is, arrogant people don't see themselves as arrogant. Everyone else is to blame see!

Mr Swerve blocked now?

And we're Swaaaaanseeeea Ciiiityyyy! Swaaaansseeeaaa Ciiiityyy F C! We're not necessarily the greatest team in football, the world has ever seen (but we're possibly the most honest and resilient). - On behalf of The Campaign For Realistic Crowd Chanting
Poll: How could Van Persie survive such an horrific attack were it to happen again?

On "Blocking" or "Ignoring" Posters on 02:09 - Aug 10 with 1015 viewsLiam

I don't understand this Davillin guy it seems he tries too hard to sound smart. He comes out with these long winded posts and when anyone challenges him because he's wrong he just asks loads of rhetorical questions and posts a massive post.

If he's genuinely looking for intellectual debate why the fck does he come on a football forum?

Don't worry, he's already blocked me.
FAO OLD BEAN on 02:59 - Aug 10 with 974 views_

On "Blocking" or "Ignoring" Posters on 02:09 - Aug 10 by Liam

I don't understand this Davillin guy it seems he tries too hard to sound smart. He comes out with these long winded posts and when anyone challenges him because he's wrong he just asks loads of rhetorical questions and posts a massive post.

If he's genuinely looking for intellectual debate why the fck does he come on a football forum?

Don't worry, he's already blocked me.

Nobody understand him or likes him that much, apart from the transgender Dickrockcockjock and the hopeless hairy tramp Teabag.

All this talk of courtesy and the fine people in Wales he's met, who gives a motherfacking monkeys chuff Old Bean?

You'll meet all sorts in this world and not all will be dancing down to your Dixie tune; so step down off ya horse and drink your milk like a good little boy and heisht the fack up....

Peace and love
[Post edited 10 Aug 2014 3:00]

You're all out of time....the past was yours but the future's mine.
Poll: With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans

On "Blocking" or "Ignoring" Posters on 07:27 - Aug 10 with 981 viewsApeShit

The OP seems to have gone downhill since someone took his "Davillin Stats" thread off the sticky thread list.
On on 09:37 - Aug 10 with 965 viewsMrSwerve

On on 01:34 - Aug 10 by Davillin

Fascinating post.

To be fair Dav, I don't care if you are impressed or not. Yes, there is a fair bit of ad hominem in this thread but can't you see that with lines such as "I am not impressed" it makes you come across like we should be trying to impress you. Someone posted a polite reply to you earlier in the thread and you replied with something like "if that is too hard for you to understand...".

Oh and thanks for the help with the educator bit, luckily I don't teach English, but I do teach Maths and Physics to hundreds of people every year.

I have never attacked you with foul language (or attacked you at all for that matter), some of us are just trying to feedback how you come across, just as you feedback to many people how they come across. Personally, I don't care what people think of me, but I'd like to think that I come across courteous.

Have a great day, I'm off to make a nice cup of Rombouts.
[Post edited 10 Aug 2014 9:40]

Poll: Decision day - who wins the PL title?

Login to get fewer ads

On "Blocking" or "Ignoring" Posters on 10:27 - Aug 10 with 940 viewsperchrockjack

TBH to see the stuff Dav comes up with and the reactions forthcoming compared with some who simply utterly chuck clear abuse around is simply amazing.
Not all want to come on here and act like hard nosed playground bullies or foul mouthed know it alls.
I can be as arrogant as anyone on here;I d gie anyone a go for their money but Im dammed if I can anything at all worthy of the approbrium Tony gets.

I ve posted daft, posted to annoy and yeah used foul mouthed rants but he s one of the few to really retain my respect on here.
And finally, we ve had discussions on which we disagree

On "Blocking" or "Ignoring" Posters on 12:20 - Aug 10 with 876 views_

On "Blocking" or "Ignoring" Posters on 10:27 - Aug 10 by perchrockjack

TBH to see the stuff Dav comes up with and the reactions forthcoming compared with some who simply utterly chuck clear abuse around is simply amazing.
Not all want to come on here and act like hard nosed playground bullies or foul mouthed know it alls.
I can be as arrogant as anyone on here;I d gie anyone a go for their money but Im dammed if I can anything at all worthy of the approbrium Tony gets.

I ve posted daft, posted to annoy and yeah used foul mouthed rants but he s one of the few to really retain my respect on here.

You and the Yank should p1ss off to a different forum, do us all a favour.

You're all out of time....the past was yours but the future's mine.
Poll: With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans

On "Blocking" or "Ignoring" Posters on 14:10 - Aug 10 with 863 viewsDavillin

On "Blocking" or "Ignoring" Posters on 10:27 - Aug 10 by perchrockjack

You may rest assured that the disagreements I get into with you and many other posters, even when rather "snappy," never include disrespect, and that far outweighs abuse from a handful of others.

On "Blocking" or "Ignoring" Posters on 17:09 - Aug 10 with 821 viewsperchrockjack

Nah Christ. It's you who is the flea the parasite on this site that lives off posts.
You have no grace, no decency and your tasteless crap knows no limits.its also a sad case of never knowing your wrong.

Do you not even respect what Swansea Jill did for our club.
I'd offer. Her an apology but you wont

On on 14:26 - Aug 11 with 756 viewsDavillin

O.K., I decided that, inasmuch as my blocking people causes so much unnecessary aggravation in some quarters, I will no longer announce it when I do.

Except to say two things. I did block one lackwit this morning [gratingly discourteous once too often]. The field is narrowing, so my crusade is almost finished, and peace is now in sight.

O.K., Four things.

O.K, five. Let the squealing now begin [again].
[Post edited 11 Aug 2014 14:28]

On on 14:29 - Aug 11 with 749 viewsJackfath

On on 14:26 - Aug 11 by Davillin

O.K., I decided that, inasmuch as my blocking people causes so much unnecessary aggravation in some quarters, I will no longer announce it when I do.

Except to say two things. I did block one lackwit this morning [gratingly discourteous once too often]. The field is narrowing, so my crusade is almost finished, and peace is now in sight.

O.K., Four things.

O.K, five. Let the squealing now begin [again].
[Post edited 11 Aug 2014 14:28]

Would you be prepared to furnish us with a list of those posters who you have deemed to be rude and therefore have entered your ignore room?

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

On on 14:52 - Aug 11 with 722 viewsShaky

On on 14:29 - Aug 11 by Jackfath

Would you be prepared to furnish us with a list of those posters who you have deemed to be rude and therefore have entered your ignore room?

I can volunteer my own name on that list.

And if you want some background, that came about after I had expounded on something to do with monetary policy, whereafter St Dav made the entirely unsubstantiated allegations that:

1. I was Dimi.
2. I had plagerised the entire text I had just written.
3. Even though it was a copy and paste job it was all wrong anyway due to reasons that were too complicated for St Dav to go into.

I then responded with my own charge that St Dav was an idiot, which I believe most posters here would agree is significantly more meritorious, whereafter he claimed he blocked me.

In reality I am pretty sure that was a fib at the time, and that he continued peeking until my actual placement on the ignore list some time later.

Misology -- It's a bitch
Poll: Greatest PS Troll Hunter of all time

On on 16:17 - Aug 11 with 705 viewsDavillin

On on 14:29 - Aug 11 by Jackfath

Why? The entire matter is now completely private, and I do not want any more sh!t from stalkers.

p.s. I know you're a very intelligent man and can readily spot posts addressed to me which contain insults, foul language as a substitute for reason, or intentional misrepresentation of what I write. When you do see this, and you see that I do not reply, and when you see that that is a pattern, it will be clear that he deserves blocking, although whether he is or not blocked will be locked in my vault of privacy..

I have said many times on here that I enjoy contention in discourse. I do not, however, appreciate insults, foul language as a substitute for reason, and intentional misrepresentation of what I write.

On on 16:20 - Aug 11 with 700 viewsJackfath

On on 16:17 - Aug 11 by Davillin

Why? The entire matter is now completely private, and I do not want any more sh!t from stalkers.

p.s. I know you're a very intelligent man and can readily spot posts addressed to me which contain insults, foul language as a substitute for reason, or intentional misrepresentation of what I write. When you do see this, and you see that I do not reply, and when you see that that is a pattern, it will be clear that he deserves blocking, although whether he is or not blocked will be locked in my vault of privacy..

I have said many times on here that I enjoy contention in discourse. I do not, however, appreciate insults, foul language as a substitute for reason, and intentional misrepresentation of what I write.

I am just glad you responded to me.

It's all rather exciting and I await to see any patterns in the future!

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.

On on 16:24 - Aug 11 with 684 viewsShaky

On on 16:20 - Aug 11 by Jackfath

I am just glad you responded to me.

It's all rather exciting and I await to see any patterns in the future!

F*ck me, it's just like the Godfather.

St Dav in his fedora has respected you, and you have responded in kind by admiringly respecting him.

All that remains now is for you to kiss his ring.

Misology -- It's a bitch

On on 16:25 - Aug 11 with 693 viewsJackfath

On on 16:24 - Aug 11 by Shaky

F*ck me, it's just like the Godfather.

St Dav in his fedora has respected you, and you have responded in kind by admiringly respecting him.

All that remains now is for you to kiss his ring.

Would you like to watch?

On on 16:33 - Aug 11 with 678 viewsShaky

On on 16:25 - Aug 11 by Jackfath

Would you like to watch?

Careful St Dav doesn't block you and your lewd deviancy.

Misology -- It's a bitch

On on 16:40 - Aug 11 with 679 viewsJackfath

On on 16:33 - Aug 11 by Shaky

Careful St Dav doesn't block you and your lewd deviancy.

I'll take that as an excited "Yes, Please!!!"

On "Blocking" or "Ignoring" Posters on 16:43 - Aug 11 with 680 viewsllangyfelach

The Blockfather

Has a ring to it

Poll: Sugar on Weetabix?

On "Blocking" or "Ignoring" Posters on 16:46 - Aug 11 with 677 viewsDavillin

On "Blocking" or "Ignoring" Posters on 16:43 - Aug 11 by llangyfelach

The Blockfather

Has a ring to it

Thanks, LF, but I don't wear rings, sorry to disappoint.

On "Blocking" or "Ignoring" Posters on 16:47 - Aug 11 with 672 viewsllangyfelach

On "Blocking" or "Ignoring" Posters on 16:46 - Aug 11 by Davillin

Thanks, LF, but I don't wear rings, sorry to disappoint.

Hehehe

Poll: Sugar on Weetabix?

On "Blocking" or "Ignoring" Posters on 17:10 - Aug 11 with 654 viewslifelong

On "Blocking" or "Ignoring" Posters on 16:47 - Aug 11 by llangyfelach

Hehehe

Shaky sleeps with the fishes.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024