Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
GEORGE GRISTWOOD RIP 14:59 - Oct 18 with 3565 viewsSonofNorfolt

Sadly George has passed away at the age of 94.
The term 'legend' is used all too frequently nowadays, however in terms of supporting our team, I would suggest that the term is appropriate here.
Home and away with Rangers and England almost his entire life, undeterred by the coach journey to Sunderland on a January evening even into his 80's his passion never waned.
He would recall matches from during the war, some even pre-war, and the promotion sealing trips to Bournemouth in 1948 and Villa in 1968 amongst the more obvious ones, including all the games at Wembley in 1966.
The QPR LSA awarded him supporter of the year in 2015, although frankly he could have been nominated every season.

The picture shows George on the left with another R, Bill, his older brother who left us earlier in the year.

The end of an era.

This post has been edited by an administrator
GEORGE GRISTWOOD RIP on 15:14 - Oct 18 with 3220 viewsPadulas_Shampoo

Rest easy George and thank you for your help in making this club so wonderful.
GEORGE GRISTWOOD RIP on 15:21 - Oct 18 with 3182 viewsMick_S

Mel, Please pass my best wishes to Danny.

I’m gutted.

Pm mate.
[Post edited 18 Oct 15:23]

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

GEORGE GRISTWOOD RIP on 15:26 - Oct 18 with 3160 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam uasal.

Rest easy.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

GEORGE GRISTWOOD RIP on 16:03 - Oct 18 with 3052 views222gers

That's what I call a supporter
GEORGE GRISTWOOD RIP on 16:07 - Oct 18 with 3042 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Such dreadfully sad news.

George and his family lived around the corner from me in Greenford; I've known them all my entire life and can only echo Mel's words. It wasn't just that he was a great QPR supporter, he was a great man first and foremost.

On my first travels with a mate I sat with at QPR, we met this lad from Manchester who lived in Perth. He was heading back to Aus after a few months in Europe, and had been traveling on his own at Italia90, until he met George and Danny, after which they took him under their wing and looked after him. He couldn't stop raving about how great they were.

I met up with Danny when I was back earlier this year to bury my mum and learned that George was not well, and I guess we knew this was coming; but it's still sad to learn.

Thank you George, you really were a legend. May you rest in peace dear friend.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

GEORGE GRISTWOOD RIP on 16:35 - Oct 18 with 2901 viewsqpr_1968

RIP GEORGE....LEGEND.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

GEORGE GRISTWOOD RIP on 17:01 - Oct 18 with 2755 viewsloftboy

RIP George

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

GEORGE GRISTWOOD RIP on 17:10 - Oct 18 with 2703 viewsRs_Holy

QPR LEGEND… Rest In Peace
Login to get fewer ads

GEORGE GRISTWOOD RIP on 17:14 - Oct 18 with 2692 viewsmarky67

rest in peace george.
GEORGE GRISTWOOD RIP on 17:33 - Oct 18 with 2582 viewscharmr

Knew the gristwoods from being regulars at the swimming pool behind West End school in Northolt. Danny’s mum taught me to swim.

Hung out with George and Danny in Sardinia, Italia 90. LSA coaches as well. Havent seen Danny since he was working at a school in Hayes 2000 s

George was loved by many and an unforgettable man once you met him.
[Post edited 18 Oct 17:34]
GEORGE GRISTWOOD RIP on 17:39 - Oct 18 with 2547 viewsthemodfather

Sad news RIP George , a gentleman who was on many LSA coaches over the years , condolences to his family , a huge loss to the QPR family
GEORGE GRISTWOOD RIP on 18:28 - Oct 18 with 2389 viewsGosportHoops

I remember him from the upper Loft, QPR what a club it infects you and people like this gentlemen are exactly what it's all about, rest easy George God bless you mate up the f*cking R'sss
GEORGE GRISTWOOD RIP on 18:40 - Oct 18 with 2353 viewsflynnbo

Used to teach with Adrienne and we chatted about George. RIP.
GEORGE GRISTWOOD RIP on 19:56 - Oct 18 with 2133 viewsw7r

That is indeed sad news, RIP George, some supporter!

I think that Danny Gristwood was the Mr Gristwood that taught my daughter at St Gregories school in Ealing, small world.
[Post edited 19 Oct 10:57]
GEORGE GRISTWOOD RIP on 20:44 - Oct 18 with 2012 viewsFearless

Thanks for the call earlier Mel, much appreciated

Danny, I’ve sent you my condolences. But words are never enough
George lived an amazing life and you shared so much of it with him

RIP George from LU and beyond
GEORGE GRISTWOOD RIP on 20:55 - Oct 18 with 1990 viewsHammersmithR

Condolences to Danny and all the family. George was an absolute legend at QPR. Would go home and away with QPR as well as England. So many at England knew him as well. He travelled on the LSA bus since it started. Everyone knew George. He was Mr QPR. Had an incredible knowledge of QPR games and he’s right up there with some of the biggest fans our great club has ever had. Saw him at the Euro final against Italy and he was there when we won the World Cup in 66. There can’t be many who were at both games. Here’s an article from The Sun from the day of the Euro final. RIP George:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/15550225/england-euro-2020-superfan/amp/
GEORGE GRISTWOOD RIP on 21:57 - Oct 18 with 1783 viewsqueensparker

Played cricket with Danny for years, top bloke.

RIP George and love to the whole family.
GEORGE GRISTWOOD RIP on 22:20 - Oct 18 with 1732 viewsLogman

May he rest in peace George - though form the sound of it, he will be following us fervently form above.

Nice tribute Mel
GEORGE GRISTWOOD RIP on 22:50 - Oct 18 with 1649 viewsLblock

Can’t recall an away game I’ve attended where I didn’t see him

RIP

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

GEORGE GRISTWOOD RIP on 23:45 - Oct 18 with 1541 viewslightwaterhoop

He will be sorely missed

RIP George
GEORGE GRISTWOOD RIP on 07:30 - Oct 19 with 1285 viewsthehat

Sounds a great man and enjoyed a wonderful long life following our beloved Hoops.

Rest easy our Legend.
GEORGE GRISTWOOD RIP on 10:09 - Oct 19 with 1017 viewsSimonJames

Amazing man. RIP

100% of people who drink water will die.

GEORGE GRISTWOOD RIP on 11:53 - Oct 19 with 772 viewsBWAS

Dear All,
First of all I would like to say that I am a very, very long time reader of this forum. I probably spend far too long on this site reading every text, sharing in all your ups and downs over the years. It has kept me sane in an otherwise insane world - and Club. This is my first post ever- Cheddar of course- I’ve put off posting in the past as once the dam breaks I’ll probably spend even more time on this site.
George Gristwood is my father. The reason I’m on this site. I want to thank everyone for your very kind words at this sad time. I have many things that I would like to share with you about my father later if I may be a bit self indulgent. I can’t do this at the moment as unbelievably my eldest brother- George’s son- died unexpectedly last week as well.
Suffice to say that my dad had been going to Rangers for ten different decades. He followed Rangers everywhere- first team, reserves, youth team. You name it he was there. I actually checked and he has 2,973 loyalty points. Not bad! As Mel has already mentioned he was awarded LSA Supporter of the Year in 2015- something he was so proud of. He always went to the matches with his Irish mate, John Shaw, and his brother Bill. He was also a massive England Fan- travelling all over Europe. He even got an award from the FA for being their oldest regular England Fan. It was a shirt presented to him by a Olly Murs- although he didn’t have a clue who he was!
I’ll be there today and I will tie a scarf around his seat and no doubt shed a tear for my lovely dad.
May he Rest In Peace- of course it might help if we get three points today!
GEORGE GRISTWOOD RIP on 13:40 - Oct 19 with 587 viewsNorthantsHoop

GEORGE GRISTWOOD RIP on 11:53 - Oct 19 by BWAS

Dear All,
First of all I would like to say that I am a very, very long time reader of this forum. I probably spend far too long on this site reading every text, sharing in all your ups and downs over the years. It has kept me sane in an otherwise insane world - and Club. This is my first post ever- Cheddar of course- I’ve put off posting in the past as once the dam breaks I’ll probably spend even more time on this site.
George Gristwood is my father. The reason I’m on this site. I want to thank everyone for your very kind words at this sad time. I have many things that I would like to share with you about my father later if I may be a bit self indulgent. I can’t do this at the moment as unbelievably my eldest brother- George’s son- died unexpectedly last week as well.
Suffice to say that my dad had been going to Rangers for ten different decades. He followed Rangers everywhere- first team, reserves, youth team. You name it he was there. I actually checked and he has 2,973 loyalty points. Not bad! As Mel has already mentioned he was awarded LSA Supporter of the Year in 2015- something he was so proud of. He always went to the matches with his Irish mate, John Shaw, and his brother Bill. He was also a massive England Fan- travelling all over Europe. He even got an award from the FA for being their oldest regular England Fan. It was a shirt presented to him by a Olly Murs- although he didn’t have a clue who he was!
I’ll be there today and I will tie a scarf around his seat and no doubt shed a tear for my lovely dad.
May he Rest In Peace- of course it might help if we get three points today!

Danny
Condolences to you and the Gristwood family for the loss of your Dad and your elder brother. Many fond memories of meeting your Dad at away games in the 1980s and seeing him in the upper loft in recent years.
Regards
Rich Jobling
GEORGE GRISTWOOD RIP on 17:02 - Oct 19 with 378 viewsDamo1962

RIP George. You were the "right sort"...unlike the ones in the shirt today.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024