Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bikes in London 18:46 - May 28 with 9234 viewsGloucs_R

Been coming into London more recently with work. The bike situation seems to have gone mad. Never seen so many.

But..... When did the rules of the road stop applying to them? None wait at Red lights and the take away food bikes seen to be the worst.

Poll: Are we staying up?

Bikes in London on 19:32 - May 28 with 3598 viewsNed_Kennedys

Most ignore red lights. I have seen a number of incidents local to me where pedestrians have been hit by these idiots. At least delivery mopeds still obey traffic lights.
Bikes in London on 19:39 - May 28 with 3589 viewsJuzzie

Been like this for years in London. Probably a few threads on it or posts covering it.

Whether their own bikes or the Lime etc rented ones, they just don’t care. Red lights, no entry, one way streets etc mean nothing to them and it’s everyone else who have to react to avoid an accident.
Strangely the one place they do seem to stop is on the Regent’s Park outer circle junction by Hanover Gate. Possibly because there are cameras everywhere due to the US residence just by there.
Bikes in London on 19:45 - May 28 with 3558 viewsloftboy

When I moved to London in 2017 and was delivering all over central London it was eye opening to say the least! London Bridge heading south was unbelievable.
On a side note one of my daughters was run over by a bike after the Swansea home game debacle in 2012, broke her toe and had to have an operation, a few days later I was crossing the strand with my son at traffic lights, the man went green, just as we started to cross a prick on the bike decided he didn’t have to stop, with my daughters accident still fresh in my mind I clothe lined the fúcker.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Bikes in London on 20:11 - May 28 with 3485 viewsGloucs_R

Sorry to hear that.

I gave one guy a mouthful last week as he almost hit a young boy whilst we were crossing next Piccadilly. No remorse and told me to F off in broken English.

Poll: Are we staying up?

Bikes in London on 20:24 - May 28 with 3419 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Bikes in London on 19:45 - May 28 by loftboy

When I moved to London in 2017 and was delivering all over central London it was eye opening to say the least! London Bridge heading south was unbelievable.
On a side note one of my daughters was run over by a bike after the Swansea home game debacle in 2012, broke her toe and had to have an operation, a few days later I was crossing the strand with my son at traffic lights, the man went green, just as we started to cross a prick on the bike decided he didn’t have to stop, with my daughters accident still fresh in my mind I clothe lined the fúcker.

Fair play.
Bikes in London on 20:29 - May 28 with 3407 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Is it a matter of time before bike owners (particularly e-bikes) have to register? Seems like the only way to curb this anti-social behaviour (other than employing a squad of loftboys to clothe line offenders).
Bikes in London on 20:43 - May 28 with 3378 viewscolinallcars

I wonder what our forebears would think - green bikes lying on the pavement or blocking entrances, conventional bikes chained to rails but with bits missing.
Someone was killed by a cyclist in a London park but there were no charges that could be brought.
When cycles first appeared there was a charge of “furious riding” that could be used but it must have disappeared off the statute book donkey's ago.
Bikes in London on 20:54 - May 28 with 3351 viewsChrisNW6

I mostly ride a motorbike to work but do Cycle, when the weather's good, so will see from both sides. I rarely use the cycle lanes as feel safer, as there are too many bad cyclists and things like those three wheel tourist taxis!! Nothing beats a couple of hours at the weekend doing laps at Regents Park and as Juzzie said the vast majority do stop at lights or slow down to a walking pace if safe.

Not sure registering and insurance is the solution, but they do need to come down heavy on stuff like Lime bike users on phones at 25mph or cyclists going full speed through lights.
Login to get fewer ads

Bikes in London on 21:11 - May 28 with 3286 viewsrobith

I starred cycling a few months ago, and whilst a lot of other cyclists' behaviour is pretty dispiriting, I gotta say, drivers in London are absolutely unhinged and far more dangerous (statistics would back that too).

The other week I was knocked off my bike at a combined cycling Nd zebra crossing in Hackney. There were some school kids crossing and I could see the driver wasn't stopping in time so cycled in front of it so it would hit me first. Luckily I was unharmed but as I stood up and remunstrated the driver said "sorry, I wasn't looking".

Partially I know I'm wasting my breath here, but it's easy to point at one group and say they're the problem, but on my way to and from work I'm constantly put in harms way by drivers failing to give way at junctions or doing dangerous over taking or illegal turns by people who value their convience over my safety or even the law.

Why am i saying this? Because for some reason in Britain across all generations there is a selfishness that is now completely unbound - I want what I want, I want it now, and I don't care if you get hurt for me to get it. This is much deeper than cyclists vs drivers, but tell yourself that if it makes yourself feel better
Bikes in London on 21:13 - May 28 with 3271 viewsrobith

Bikes in London on 20:24 - May 28 by Benny_the_Ball

Fair play.

Crime is cool when I like the people doing it
Bikes in London on 21:47 - May 28 with 3128 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Bikes in London on 21:11 - May 28 by robith

I starred cycling a few months ago, and whilst a lot of other cyclists' behaviour is pretty dispiriting, I gotta say, drivers in London are absolutely unhinged and far more dangerous (statistics would back that too).

The other week I was knocked off my bike at a combined cycling Nd zebra crossing in Hackney. There were some school kids crossing and I could see the driver wasn't stopping in time so cycled in front of it so it would hit me first. Luckily I was unharmed but as I stood up and remunstrated the driver said "sorry, I wasn't looking".

Partially I know I'm wasting my breath here, but it's easy to point at one group and say they're the problem, but on my way to and from work I'm constantly put in harms way by drivers failing to give way at junctions or doing dangerous over taking or illegal turns by people who value their convience over my safety or even the law.

Why am i saying this? Because for some reason in Britain across all generations there is a selfishness that is now completely unbound - I want what I want, I want it now, and I don't care if you get hurt for me to get it. This is much deeper than cyclists vs drivers, but tell yourself that if it makes yourself feel better

This wasn't about cyclists versus motorists; you're taking it there.

I'm a motorist, cyclist and pedestrian and I think cyclists are by far the worst of the bunch. The vast majority in London do not obey the rules, refusing to stop at red lights or zebra crossings, cutting across busy junctions with no care for others, riding on pavements, etc.

Yes, there are some selfish drivers out there but pound-for-pound cyclists are worse because they're not registered and therefore can't be traced.

It's high time we introduce a registration scheme for bikes to control this epidemic as well as charging them tax to use the road.
Bikes in London on 21:58 - May 28 with 3089 viewskensalriser

Some people are just tw@ts and they're tw@ts whatever they're doing. I've been riding a bike around London since the early 80s and generally it's safer now than it ever has been, the 20mph zones have stopped people roaring around at 40+ and there's more awareness of other road users than there used to be.

Some of the electric bike and scooter users do seem to be on suicide missions though, it's a daily spectacle seeing Lime bike riders bombing through red lights while on the phone.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Bikes in London on 22:01 - May 28 with 3075 viewsHayesender

I used to cycle to work until an amazon van pulled out of a side street without looking by Acton central station a couple of years ago. I could see it happening almost in slow motion and managed to jump clear, but my bike was fcked. Luckily I only had a few scratches and bruises. Ps, I always stopped at lights

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Bikes in London on 22:12 - May 28 with 3021 viewsSK_hoops

I cycle to work every day and can say that the absolute worst offenders are people walking in cycle lanes. I go a different way and actively avoid the Hanger Lane subway now, as there are a few blind corners and it's virtually 50/50 as to whether someone will be right there walking on the cycle path the other side.
Bikes in London on 22:14 - May 28 with 3016 viewsChrisNW6

Chris Boardman summed it up, with the analogy that more people are killed each year by cows and lightning than cyclists.

Cyclists can be a pain in the arse but there are far more dangers on the road, which weigh a lot more, go a lot faster and do far more damage.
Bikes in London on 22:18 - May 28 with 3005 viewsstowmarketrange

During my walks from Liverpool st to QPR last season I got to see an awful lot of cyclists and scooters.I think the behaviour of some of them is dangerous,regularly jumping red lights and no entry roads.I’ve seen a few near misses with all forms of transport though,but bikers seem to get away with breaking the law more than motorised traffic does.
Bikes in London on 22:20 - May 28 with 2988 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Bikes in London on 22:01 - May 28 by Hayesender

I used to cycle to work until an amazon van pulled out of a side street without looking by Acton central station a couple of years ago. I could see it happening almost in slow motion and managed to jump clear, but my bike was fcked. Luckily I only had a few scratches and bruises. Ps, I always stopped at lights

The delivery community in general (whether van or bike) are on another level and warrant a separate conversation.

Last week I was waiting at a red light at the East Acton junction of the A40, heading towards HQ. When the lights turned to green an Uber cyclist suddenly cut across everyone, causing absolute mayhem. He proceeded to cut across the entire junction, riding through on-coming traffic before mounting the pavement by Lidl and disappearing into the flats behind.

I had to hit the brakes to avoid him, resulting in the lady behind rear ending my vehicle. I was left to sort out an insurance claim in the middle of a super busy junction whilst that twit disappeared into the sunset to deliver a peperoni pizza. Carry on like that and he'll soon be a pavement pizza.
Bikes in London on 22:31 - May 28 with 2949 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Bikes in London on 22:14 - May 28 by ChrisNW6

Chris Boardman summed it up, with the analogy that more people are killed each year by cows and lightning than cyclists.

Cyclists can be a pain in the arse but there are far more dangers on the road, which weigh a lot more, go a lot faster and do far more damage.

Oh, quelle surprise. Professional cyclist sticks up for cycling community using fake statistics. I wonder how many accidents were caused by cyclists who rode away into the sunset leaving carnage behind them (such as the example I just cited above). As cyclists do not have to register their bikes or themselves, they are untraceable and unaccountable. Consequently, the statistics that Boardman is relying on simply do not exist.
Bikes in London on 22:34 - May 28 with 2943 viewsHayesender

Bikes in London on 22:20 - May 28 by Benny_the_Ball

The delivery community in general (whether van or bike) are on another level and warrant a separate conversation.

Last week I was waiting at a red light at the East Acton junction of the A40, heading towards HQ. When the lights turned to green an Uber cyclist suddenly cut across everyone, causing absolute mayhem. He proceeded to cut across the entire junction, riding through on-coming traffic before mounting the pavement by Lidl and disappearing into the flats behind.

I had to hit the brakes to avoid him, resulting in the lady behind rear ending my vehicle. I was left to sort out an insurance claim in the middle of a super busy junction whilst that twit disappeared into the sunset to deliver a peperoni pizza. Carry on like that and he'll soon be a pavement pizza.

Amazon, deliveroo etc are a massive pain in the arse. The bloke who drove out in front of me was looking at his phone or iPad thingy, obviously looking at his next address instead of concentrating where he was going. If I had tried to stop I'd have ended up either splattered on the side of his van, or underneath it, hence I had to bail at 20 odd mph.

Yes, those fckers really could be a whole other thread.

Ps, it's not entirely their fault. A lot of the fault lies with this everything has to be delivered yesterday mentality of the general public who are too lazy to walk round the corner for their eggs and milk

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Bikes in London on 22:41 - May 28 with 2891 viewsrobith

Bikes in London on 21:47 - May 28 by Benny_the_Ball

This wasn't about cyclists versus motorists; you're taking it there.

I'm a motorist, cyclist and pedestrian and I think cyclists are by far the worst of the bunch. The vast majority in London do not obey the rules, refusing to stop at red lights or zebra crossings, cutting across busy junctions with no care for others, riding on pavements, etc.

Yes, there are some selfish drivers out there but pound-for-pound cyclists are worse because they're not registered and therefore can't be traced.

It's high time we introduce a registration scheme for bikes to control this epidemic as well as charging them tax to use the road.

It absolutely was about that now, come on.

Incredible claim to say they're pound for pound the worst then in the same sentence say there's no data. Tfl data shows that 80% of people killed in incidents on Londons roads aren't in cars.
Bikes in London on 22:50 - May 28 with 2872 viewsChrisNW6

Bikes in London on 22:31 - May 28 by Benny_the_Ball

Oh, quelle surprise. Professional cyclist sticks up for cycling community using fake statistics. I wonder how many accidents were caused by cyclists who rode away into the sunset leaving carnage behind them (such as the example I just cited above). As cyclists do not have to register their bikes or themselves, they are untraceable and unaccountable. Consequently, the statistics that Boardman is relying on simply do not exist.

I said killed by cyclists, which Is on average 3 per year.
Unless you think we have a problem of cyclist killers riding off into the night.

The real problem for me are the electric bikes, delivery riders and scooter riders on CBTs, who don't follow the laws.

Your average cyclist commuter is dicing with death on a daily basis and it's stacked against them.

I'll leave this thread now as there have been numerous other debates on this subject
Bikes in London on 22:58 - May 28 with 2856 viewsChrisNW6

Bikes in London on 22:41 - May 28 by robith

It absolutely was about that now, come on.

Incredible claim to say they're pound for pound the worst then in the same sentence say there's no data. Tfl data shows that 80% of people killed in incidents on Londons roads aren't in cars.

80% of road deaths are pedestrians, cyclists or motorcyclists and what do we think is killing them?

Bigger heavier, shinier things with airbags.

People in cars are generally safer and rarely get killed by pedestrians, cyclists or motorcycles.

[Post edited 28 May 23:12]
Bikes in London on 00:44 - May 29 with 2702 viewskensalriser

Bikes in London on 22:14 - May 28 by ChrisNW6

It's harder to start culture wars and get people all frothed up against cows and lightning though.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Bikes in London on 01:35 - May 29 with 2687 viewsBoston

Bikes in London on 19:45 - May 28 by loftboy

A few years ago, we had a pedestrian hit and killed in Central Park NY by a cyclist who was racing to beat his quickest time to work.
She was actually the wife of a 'someone', but nothing came of it, no jail time, just a slap on the wrist for the gent who, according to numerous witnesses, berated the dying women for getting in his way when she had the right of way at a crossing.
It's beyond a joke.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Bikes in London on 06:23 - May 29 with 2596 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

Try driving through Richmond Park! 20mph, yet cyclists are going well over that, yet never get stopped.
They also have a habit of either using your car as a slipstream so all bunch behind it, or swarm around it. Very dangerous, yet say anything and you get verbal from them.

Most are middle aged men who I imagine think they are in the Tour de France. £20k on a bike!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024