Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lee Hoos - Podcast Interview 10:35 - Feb 9 with 12680 viewsBAWHoops

The QPR Podcast sat down with Lee Hoos to discuss everything from the stadium, FFP, club structure and more

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/qpr-podcast/id968873601?i=1000598807226

http://blogandwhitehoops.wordpress.com/

Lee Hoos - Podcast Interview on 12:29 - Feb 10 with 2401 viewsGloucs_R

I wonder how much the youth team set up costs.

It's not delivering anything. Close is down, switch to a b team. Isn't this what Brentford did?

Poll: Are we staying up?

Lee Hoos - Podcast Interview on 12:43 - Feb 10 with 2342 viewsderbyhoop

It wasn't his best performance and I thought he sounded frustrated, as well as ill.
LR is a bit of a millstone. It's tired, needs significant maintenance/refurbishment and too small for a Championship club.
We can't do events, catering is compromised by the size and any improvements are minimal.
The lack of progress on LCS and the unavailability of alternatives backsvus into a very tight corner.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Lee Hoos - Podcast Interview on 12:53 - Feb 10 with 2318 viewsQPROslo

Lee Hoos - Podcast Interview on 12:06 - Feb 10 by Monkey_Roots

Yeah I agree - Rob (I think) kept banging on about a free pie, and then his statements/questions went in so many different directions I couldn't keep up with the original point he was trying to make.

Rob's passion comes through, so that's fantastic, but it was a tough listen in places.

I'm not sure LH came across as well as LF did in his interview, but then that might be to do with the interviewer... (Clive, did I say it the way you wanted me to?)

Definitely yes. Clive's questions were clear and direct with sharp follow ups. I wasn't sure what the questions were in the short time I listened to the Hoos podcast.
Lee Hoos - Podcast Interview on 12:59 - Feb 10 with 2308 viewsPinnerPaul

Lee Hoos - Podcast Interview on 08:48 - Feb 10 by Ad99

Agree totally with the sentiment of your post here [about 'rolling up to buy the club'] but, being devil's advocate for a moment, it is worth remembering the misplaced investment, the FFP fine and the lack of progression compared to neighbouring clubs is also the fault of the ownership's own mess/malaise.
[Post edited 10 Feb 2023 8:49]

Yes that's true, but just because an owner of a house hates DIY and lets the garden go to a jungle, doesn't make it any more saleable!
Lee Hoos - Podcast Interview on 13:02 - Feb 10 with 2288 viewsPinnerPaul

Lee Hoos - Podcast Interview on 10:00 - Feb 10 by robith

Yeah agreed mate, I never cross the road any more cos I heard there was a car crash once.

Plenty to criticise Les about without getting madly indignant about him and our head of recruitment going scouting, isn't there? Makes you look a tad unhinged doesn't it

Its getting a bit like that on here

"Say something", "No not THAT"

"Do something" , "No not THAT"

"Sign someone", "No not HIM"
Lee Hoos - Podcast Interview on 13:14 - Feb 10 with 2228 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Lee Hoos - Podcast Interview on 12:29 - Feb 10 by Gloucs_R

I wonder how much the youth team set up costs.

It's not delivering anything. Close is down, switch to a b team. Isn't this what Brentford did?

It’s delivered 30 players who’ve played first team football and a net transfer income.

The majority of those platers are the likes of Dalling and Bettache but nonetheless it’s a start.
Lee Hoos - Podcast Interview on 13:54 - Feb 10 with 2153 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

I found it difficult to continue after Hoos laughed in their face about five minutes in. Will listen again when I'm in a better mood.
Lee Hoos - Podcast Interview on 14:06 - Feb 10 with 2146 viewsAntti_Heinola

Lee Hoos - Podcast Interview on 22:25 - Feb 9 by BazzaInTheLoft

This post needs to be bookmarked 😆

Imagine we had this attitude before we signed Faurlin.
[Post edited 9 Feb 2023 22:27]

I believe we did.

Bare bones.

Login to get fewer ads

Lee Hoos - Podcast Interview on 14:19 - Feb 10 with 2124 viewsBlue_Castello

Lee Hoos - Podcast Interview on 08:48 - Feb 10 by Ad99

Agree totally with the sentiment of your post here [about 'rolling up to buy the club'] but, being devil's advocate for a moment, it is worth remembering the misplaced investment, the FFP fine and the lack of progression compared to neighbouring clubs is also the fault of the ownership's own mess/malaise.
[Post edited 10 Feb 2023 8:49]

Yup we know that and the owners know that, they have openly said they have made mistakes in the past, they have agreed to pay the fine outside FFP , they are continually converting the monthly debt into shares which stops the club owing money as they are the shareholders, they haven't walked away and are actually investing their money into the training ground, there's plenty of worse examples out there, mistakes were made but it is the past.
This thread is about Hoos tenure at the club, he took over after the car crash of Phil Beard, Mark Hughes and Harry Redcrap, I can't begin to think how bad things would be if Beard was still in charge, so yes the bad debt was accrued before Hoos arrived he was just given the task of sorting out the mess....
Lee Hoos - Podcast Interview on 14:39 - Feb 10 with 2039 viewsstainrods_elbow

Lee Hoos - Podcast Interview on 13:54 - Feb 10 by BazzaInTheLoft

I found it difficult to continue after Hoos laughed in their face about five minutes in. Will listen again when I'm in a better mood.

I wouldn't waste your time, mate. That gale of laughter tells us all we need to know about that f*cking imposter.

Poll: How many points will we manage from our first 5 games with this squad?

Lee Hoos - Podcast Interview on 14:51 - Feb 10 with 2041 viewsNorthantsHoop

Let's face it the state of football below the Premier League is in a bit of a financial mess. The Covid pandemic has not helped and we all know that the EFL are in a battle with the Premier League for more access to funds down the pyramid from the TV and media money. I just feel with Rangers we are caught in a vortex of innertia on the pitch and with the ground generally. Too many conditions attached to everything and nothing moves forward.
Lee Hoos - Podcast Interview on 15:02 - Feb 10 with 2018 viewsbosh67

I thought Hoos spoke pretty well considering how ill he is at the moment. He always comes across pretty well and isn't afraid to take the questions. I think Charlie Wise is right, I think he is really struggling to keep it all going because there seems to be a lack of vision around the club and he is struggling to find a direction. It all feels reactive rather than proactive. Luton, Brentford and Bournemouth have all seemed to concentrate on making the playing team sustainable, ownable and productive. We seem to be stuck in a lace where we are totally unsure what we are, where we are going and what to do about it.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Lee Hoos - Podcast Interview on 16:24 - Feb 10 with 1905 viewsHooping_Mad

Lee Hoos - Podcast Interview on 07:23 - Feb 10 by Northernr

I think Colombia is one of those places that scores weirdly well on our new Brexit points system because of the strength of its international team. When we interviewed Andy Belk he said some European markets that had been fertile ground for Championship clubs - Denmark, German second division, Poland - were now more difficult, but it had opened up some South American markets. Another Championship club signed a Colombian from Colombia on deadline and I'm trying to remember who it was.

Only other Columbian I could find was at Watford, Yasser Asprilla.

Chairman of the Junior Hoilett appreciation society

Lee Hoos - Podcast Interview on 16:27 - Feb 10 with 1898 viewsHooping_Mad

Lee Hoos - Podcast Interview on 09:01 - Feb 10 by BazzaInTheLoft

Re read my post. Cannot see anywhere that I’ve suggested Les signed Faurlin.

Work permits for Colombians are doable. Easier than a lot of Europeans in most cases. Estupinan (Hull) and Lerma (Bournemouth) recent cases.

We need to look further than Margate for signings. If he didn’t go, you would be attacking him for that no doubt.

Les also didn’t sign Niko, not that it makes a difference.
[Post edited 10 Feb 2023 10:14]

With respect I didn't mention Margate Baz.

I don't tend to take the attack dog approach, sarcasm now there I am guilty.

Those facts again eh?
[Post edited 10 Feb 2023 16:32]

Chairman of the Junior Hoilett appreciation society

Lee Hoos - Podcast Interview on 20:05 - Feb 10 with 1736 viewsQPR_Jim

Just listened to it and thought he did ok, answered quite honestly and obviously quite sick.

I thought it was quite right that he laughed off that question, like he said people believed that the rail seating will solve the atmosphere and now this. Scoring a goal will improve the atmosphere, winning games will improve the atmosphere. So a free pie if you turn up early and have some beers in the ground, does seem a bit far fetched as a cure all for both finances and atmosphere.

When we were discussing a new stadium I was told we can't compete with local hotels with conferencing facilities. Which can be as basic as coffee facilities and sandwiches, some seats, wifi and a screen on the wall. But within the current ground we can compete with the pubs around SB which form a part of most fans pre-match ritual but we can entice them away with a free pie.... I doubt it.

After all that, if another company is doing the catering, we won't necessarily see much if any money back from the extra revenue anyway.

I thought targeting students was a good idea though, Imperial College has so many students halls near by that it makes sense to ensure they're aware of our presence. They might be the type of audience that would come mid-week but not on a Saturday.
Lee Hoos - Podcast Interview on 22:03 - Feb 10 with 1590 viewswombat

Lee Hoos - Podcast Interview on 20:05 - Feb 10 by QPR_Jim

Just listened to it and thought he did ok, answered quite honestly and obviously quite sick.

I thought it was quite right that he laughed off that question, like he said people believed that the rail seating will solve the atmosphere and now this. Scoring a goal will improve the atmosphere, winning games will improve the atmosphere. So a free pie if you turn up early and have some beers in the ground, does seem a bit far fetched as a cure all for both finances and atmosphere.

When we were discussing a new stadium I was told we can't compete with local hotels with conferencing facilities. Which can be as basic as coffee facilities and sandwiches, some seats, wifi and a screen on the wall. But within the current ground we can compete with the pubs around SB which form a part of most fans pre-match ritual but we can entice them away with a free pie.... I doubt it.

After all that, if another company is doing the catering, we won't necessarily see much if any money back from the extra revenue anyway.

I thought targeting students was a good idea though, Imperial College has so many students halls near by that it makes sense to ensure they're aware of our presence. They might be the type of audience that would come mid-week but not on a Saturday.

Also a way of getting more staff at the ground esp catering etc,

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Lee Hoos - Podcast Interview on 22:13 - Feb 10 with 1581 viewsGloucs_R

Lee Hoos - Podcast Interview on 13:14 - Feb 10 by BazzaInTheLoft

It’s delivered 30 players who’ve played first team football and a net transfer income.

The majority of those platers are the likes of Dalling and Bettache but nonetheless it’s a start.

Is it more cost effective than just having a b team though?

I'm not convinced it is.

Poll: Are we staying up?

Lee Hoos - Podcast Interview on 23:13 - Feb 10 with 1517 viewsQPR_Jim

Lee Hoos - Podcast Interview on 22:13 - Feb 10 by Gloucs_R

Is it more cost effective than just having a b team though?

I'm not convinced it is.

The club also talk about pathways, I understand that with the GK situation and CM signing that's a bit of a nonsense too. But hypothetically if we have a better training facility than we used to have, a more professional feel to the set up and a pathway to first team football then we might have a chance of some players deciding to stay rather than leave for CAT 1. After all the rules are they can talk to them but the players still have a choice to stay if they want. I think previously our Heston facility probably didn't compare as favorably to the CAT 1 academies as the new ground will.

It's worth a try before upgrading to CAT 1 perhaps. I think you're ultimately right though, in the preview Clive mentioned Bristol City having all these academy players coming through, but I guess they have less clubs poaching players off of them due to restrictions on how far kids are willing to travel to train. So our location must effect how efficient the development model can be.
Lee Hoos - Podcast Interview on 01:08 - Feb 11 with 1415 viewsconnell10

Lee Hoos - Podcast Interview on 20:05 - Feb 10 by QPR_Jim

Nope sorry you never laugh at paying customers in public , totally unprofessional and really dumb thing to do considering the feeling around the club at the moment.

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Lee Hoos - Podcast Interview on 10:40 - Feb 11 with 1245 viewsBurnleyhoop

Lee Hoos - Podcast Interview on 15:02 - Feb 10 by bosh67

I thought Hoos spoke pretty well considering how ill he is at the moment. He always comes across pretty well and isn't afraid to take the questions. I think Charlie Wise is right, I think he is really struggling to keep it all going because there seems to be a lack of vision around the club and he is struggling to find a direction. It all feels reactive rather than proactive. Luton, Brentford and Bournemouth have all seemed to concentrate on making the playing team sustainable, ownable and productive. We seem to be stuck in a lace where we are totally unsure what we are, where we are going and what to do about it.

We develop kids at our fancy new training facilities for other clubs to buy for peanuts.

I’m surprised everyone is not utilising this strategy, it’s genius.

No wonder we aren’t making any progress.
Lee Hoos - Podcast Interview on 11:15 - Feb 11 with 1187 viewsDamo1962

Lee Hoos - Podcast Interview on 13:16 - Feb 9 by Hayesender

With you on this. Never really listened to him before, and I only lasted 18 minutes before having to turn him off.

Comes across very arrogant imo. Not impressed

Me too. Just one of many at the club who get away with mediocrity...at best.
Lee Hoos - Podcast Interview on 12:33 - Feb 11 with 1065 viewsPinnerPaul

Lee Hoos - Podcast Interview on 10:40 - Feb 11 by Burnleyhoop

We develop kids at our fancy new training facilities for other clubs to buy for peanuts.

I’m surprised everyone is not utilising this strategy, it’s genius.

No wonder we aren’t making any progress.

So what's the alternative?

We can't legally stop players being taken - Simon D has shown us the £s don't make that much difference Cat 2 v Cat 1.

Parents/kids are going to want to go to a bigger club if given the chance.

So is it a vote for the Brentford model of no one under 16 in the building?
Lee Hoos - Podcast Interview on 12:56 - Feb 11 with 1024 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Got to laugh with Brentford and Fulham set for the European Super League. Those free pies better be tasty.
Lee Hoos - Podcast Interview on 13:43 - Feb 11 with 976 viewsBurnleyhoop

Lee Hoos - Podcast Interview on 12:33 - Feb 11 by PinnerPaul

So what's the alternative?

We can't legally stop players being taken - Simon D has shown us the £s don't make that much difference Cat 2 v Cat 1.

Parents/kids are going to want to go to a bigger club if given the chance.

So is it a vote for the Brentford model of no one under 16 in the building?

I was under the impression that our billionaire owners are itching to invest but we’re constrained by FFP rules. That’s true when it comes to the playing staff, but not investment in training facilities or infrastructure. It seems bizarrely short sighted to go for a category two facility that has resulted in the club losing 13 of our best prospects for paltry sums, rather than stumping up and going for cat 1.

Just how are we supposed to develop youngsters, give them a pathway to the first team and sell them on for a profit when they are poached by other clubs?

Agree that kids will want to go to bigger clubs ( and in all likelihood never get a game in the first team), but at least they go for a price that is acceptable to Qpr.

The strategy is set up to fail, which exactly what it is doing and nobody is taking accountability for it.

I haven’t read Simon D’s analysis, so I could be entirely wrong in my assumptions, in which case….I will get my coat.
Lee Hoos - Podcast Interview on 14:33 - Feb 11 with 944 viewsqprd

Lee Hoos - Podcast Interview on 23:06 - Feb 9 by nick_hammersmith

Miles wide, sorry
The club needs a cheque for nearly two million written every month and you think that your season ticket is paying his wages!

You might be covering the bill for washing the socks for a month at best!

The catering is outsourced, so the club would make hardly anything if 10,000 people turned up 8 hours early and ate all the pukka pies possible
In fact in that situation the club would probably lose money as they would have to pay OT for all the stewards etc…

This is one of the most accurate posts in this thread

Having listened to this, I feel actually pretty bad for Lee hoos

The problem is that he is from a commercial background and providing a business explanation for why things are a certain way. You then have fans, who have zero experience in business, contracts or the commercial side of sports, providing their over simplistic views…

Take the catering thing and the ideas presented. Lee hoos literally explained the economics of the licensing deal with Elior- yet the one podcast interbiewers literally failed to understand (or just ignored) what he said re who gains the revenue from catering and contractual limitations in the agreement, insisting on silly points like free pies and beers.

Would you as a patient give advice to your cardiologist who is smart enough to even qualify for the job, then goes through rigorous training and yesrs or experience in the job? This is basicaly what was done here to Lee hoos

At the end of the day, hoos was right that the best marketing is good results. no one was talking abt these issues when we were first … now that we’re in a bad form everyone has a gripe
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024