Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Another Yank 01:11 - Jan 13 with 5946 viewsJaySun

Just another Yank who has been lurking since BB started. Still lurking now that he's rightfully gone. I've been a football fan, player and now coach of my three sons.

I say all of this because while I know that most of you won't care, I have become a serious admirer of the community that you folks have developed. I am envious of the passion that I see in the threads I read and can only hope that one day my little town develops the same feelings for our local club that I have been a part of since 1989.

I watch all the Premiere matches every weekend and will now be following Swansea in hopes that you folks stay afloat this season. If not, I will be following in the Championship. I've been following the team I adopted years ago (Newcastle) hoping to be able to see them play next season.

Keep fighting for your club...With all sincerity, Jason

This post has been edited by an administrator
Another Yank on 01:20 - Jan 13 with 4353 viewsE20Jack

Levien?

Poll: 6 point deduction and sellouts lose all their cash?

Another Yank on 01:28 - Jan 13 with 4346 viewsTummer_from_Texas

Welcome, Jason.

Where are you from?

POTY 2015
Poll: Biggest signing so far in January? (just curious what Planet Swans thinks)

Another Yank on 02:41 - Jan 13 with 4295 viewsJaySun

Another Yank on 01:20 - Jan 13 by E20Jack

Levien?

Hardly... I think he probably has better things to do than lurk here.
Another Yank on 02:42 - Jan 13 with 4294 viewsJaySun

Another Yank on 01:28 - Jan 13 by Tummer_from_Texas

Welcome, Jason.

Where are you from?

Small town in the panhandle of Florida. Just outside of Pensacola.
Another Yank on 03:28 - Jan 13 with 4264 viewsKilkennyjack

Welcome Jason.

Have you seen 'jack to a king' the film ?
They may have to make a sequel about our rapid decline .....

It seems we will swap places with the Barcodes next season.

Beware of the Risen People

Another Yank on 04:00 - Jan 13 with 4251 viewsLoyal

Another Yank on 03:28 - Jan 13 by Kilkennyjack

Welcome Jason.

Have you seen 'jack to a king' the film ?
They may have to make a sequel about our rapid decline .....

It seems we will swap places with the Barcodes next season.

Jack to a King.
Don't encourage him to believe that shit.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Another Yank on 04:20 - Jan 13 with 4241 viewsNeiltheTaylor

Another Yank on 02:42 - Jan 13 by JaySun

Is it a dry county? Nice complement in the OP anyway - no need to feel envious - just give up the silly Toon stuff, grab a pitchfork and join in! Libations optional.

Joe_bradshaw -I thought the cryochamber was the new name for Cardiff's stadium.

Another Yank on 04:46 - Jan 13 with 4223 viewsTummer_from_Texas

Ah, beautiful beaches all around there. I was born at Tyndall Air Force Base near Panama City, FL.

POTY 2015
Poll: Biggest signing so far in January? (just curious what Planet Swans thinks)

Login to get fewer ads

Another Yank on 04:55 - Jan 13 with 4211 viewsJaySun

Another Yank on 04:20 - Jan 13 by NeiltheTaylor

Is it a dry county? Nice complement in the OP anyway - no need to feel envious - just give up the silly Toon stuff, grab a pitchfork and join in! Libations optional.

Ha! It's as if you have been here. My county used to be beer/wine only but we have graduated to spirits now and soon we'll be able to get them on the Sabbath as well.

As for the Magpies, I had a football coach in high school who also coached at the local university. He was from the UK and was a Newcastle die hard. I bought in and haven't looked back. As I said in the OP, I was keen to see if BB would be able to...do something and after finding this forum realized the situation and the stakes for the fans and knew that it wouldn't work out.

FWIW, I'll be following the Swans whether it's in the PL or Championship. I sincerely hope Clement can stabilize things.
Another Yank on 04:59 - Jan 13 with 4208 viewsJaySun

Another Yank on 04:46 - Jan 13 by Tummer_from_Texas

Ah, beautiful beaches all around there. I was born at Tyndall Air Force Base near Panama City, FL.

Yes, lovely beaches and warm weather most of the year. I know exactly where Tyndall AFB is.
Another Yank on 05:15 - Jan 13 with 4195 viewsNeiltheTaylor

Another Yank on 04:55 - Jan 13 by JaySun

Ha! It's as if you have been here. My county used to be beer/wine only but we have graduated to spirits now and soon we'll be able to get them on the Sabbath as well.

As for the Magpies, I had a football coach in high school who also coached at the local university. He was from the UK and was a Newcastle die hard. I bought in and haven't looked back. As I said in the OP, I was keen to see if BB would be able to...do something and after finding this forum realized the situation and the stakes for the fans and knew that it wouldn't work out.

FWIW, I'll be following the Swans whether it's in the PL or Championship. I sincerely hope Clement can stabilize things.

Yeah I wanted to give BB as much time as we could to work out, seems a decent fella etc., but those heavy losses - he couldn't stay.

I'm in upstate NY BTW (from Swansea originally though). I work at a x country ski center here and a fella was staying from downstate this week who was very into his soccer (actually his son works for DC Utd but I'll say no more in case I get someone in sh1te). He still thought BB was treated badly. I had him agreeing with me that BB had to go when he did by the end of the week though.
[Post edited 13 Jan 2017 5:17]

Joe_bradshaw -I thought the cryochamber was the new name for Cardiff's stadium.

Another Yank on 05:39 - Jan 13 with 4169 viewsDavillin

Careful, JaySun. Following Swansea will get habit-forming before long. Somewhere over 20 years for me. And I don't know how many trips over to beautiful Swansea in that time.

Never a dull moment. Welcome to PlanetSchizophrenic.

[p.s. Pennsylvania born and raised and still.

I don't care. I'm old. I don't have to.
Poll: In which hemispheres will China's space station [or biggest piece] crash?

Another Yank on 06:05 - Jan 13 with 4150 viewsjack247

Great opening post Jason.

I think a lot of the post sacking hostility from the American fans was simply down to them not realising what the club means to the community, what football clubs at whatever level mean to their local communities throughout the UK. Don't blame them at all, as the culture surrounding sport seems to be far more clinical over there.

I'm glad you could see through some of the stick Bob took and realise the vast majority of it was out of frustration as we could see he was damaging our club, which indirectly affects the city as a whole, simply by not being up to the job. I wish it had been focussed more on his coaching ability and less on his nationality. I can completely understand why a lot of Americans see us as hostile, insular xenophobes off the back of it, but that honestly isn't the case.

Thanks for seeing through it and coming to respect the community and camaraderie we feel as supporters of our local club.
Another Yank on 07:44 - Jan 13 with 4072 viewsphact0rri

Honestly I think that the problem is that most US 'soccer' fans, saw the sacking of Bradley as a personal insult, to them as apposed to really seeing what the situation is, and the Pundits over there were so on the floor flip flopping from "he's got a lot of work to do, its going to be tough"... straight to... "hey he was going to fix it, just give him a transfer window".

It was sort of tragic, that so many people really didn't get a good feeling for the situation. For me, at the announcement I went through the emotions from, 'I've seen this guys set ups and they don't match us at all" and "An american, wow this is kind of neat". Of course after a few matches in charge it was obvious he wasn't ready for the role they through him in. honestly I think he'd make a great championship manager, and its probably where he should have started.

Honestly good to see more Americans on here. There's a few of us on here. Like Neil, I'm a welshman in the US-- Los Angeles for me.

Poll: Should EPL Refrees hold Post-Match Interviews

Another Yank on 10:16 - Jan 13 with 3807 viewsBloodyhills

You'll get some tidy weather there then. :)

Poll: Who wants the Swans to lose games get relegated to get rid of Huw and the yanks.

Another Yank on 10:28 - Jan 13 with 3762 viewsDarran

Do you like Cheap Trick?

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Another Yank on 10:36 - Jan 13 with 3727 viewsWarwickHunt

Another Yank on 10:28 - Jan 13 by Darran

Do you like Cheap Trick?

He sounds like a bright bloke so probably not.
Another Yank on 10:44 - Jan 13 with 3692 viewsLohengrin

That's where Hank Williams used to head for his lost weekends on the booze to get away from Audrey.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Another Yank on 13:42 - Jan 13 with 3477 viewsJaySun

Another Yank on 05:15 - Jan 13 by NeiltheTaylor

Yeah I wanted to give BB as much time as we could to work out, seems a decent fella etc., but those heavy losses - he couldn't stay.

I'm in upstate NY BTW (from Swansea originally though). I work at a x country ski center here and a fella was staying from downstate this week who was very into his soccer (actually his son works for DC Utd but I'll say no more in case I get someone in sh1te). He still thought BB was treated badly. I had him agreeing with me that BB had to go when he did by the end of the week though.
[Post edited 13 Jan 2017 5:17]

BB gave his best effort. There's just too much at stake in the Premiere for a maybe.

As for soccer, we say football in my house and when I'm coaching that's the word I use with my teams unless I'm talking to parents, then I use soccer. I don't really follow MLS but spend more time watching Euro teams and Mexican top flight. My three sons watch it as well. We were watching a MLS match one afternoon and 8YO asked if we could change the channel. When I asked him why he said, " It's boring. They just play kickball and you always tell us not to play that way."
Another Yank on 13:44 - Jan 13 with 3458 viewsJaySun

Another Yank on 05:39 - Jan 13 by Davillin

Careful, JaySun. Following Swansea will get habit-forming before long. Somewhere over 20 years for me. And I don't know how many trips over to beautiful Swansea in that time.

Never a dull moment. Welcome to PlanetSchizophrenic.

[p.s. Pennsylvania born and raised and still.

It is addictive. I really would like to see the team get back to this "Swansea style" I hear so much about.
Another Yank on 13:48 - Jan 13 with 3435 viewsJaySun

Another Yank on 06:05 - Jan 13 by jack247

Great opening post Jason.

I think a lot of the post sacking hostility from the American fans was simply down to them not realising what the club means to the community, what football clubs at whatever level mean to their local communities throughout the UK. Don't blame them at all, as the culture surrounding sport seems to be far more clinical over there.

I'm glad you could see through some of the stick Bob took and realise the vast majority of it was out of frustration as we could see he was damaging our club, which indirectly affects the city as a whole, simply by not being up to the job. I wish it had been focussed more on his coaching ability and less on his nationality. I can completely understand why a lot of Americans see us as hostile, insular xenophobes off the back of it, but that honestly isn't the case.

Thanks for seeing through it and coming to respect the community and camaraderie we feel as supporters of our local club.

No worries. Not all American's are fans of the status quo sports culture here. Right now there is a large number of football/soccer fans who want promotion/relegation but as long as the NFL owns MLS it will be an uphill battle.
Another Yank on 13:52 - Jan 13 with 3412 viewsJaySun

Another Yank on 07:44 - Jan 13 by phact0rri

Honestly I think that the problem is that most US 'soccer' fans, saw the sacking of Bradley as a personal insult, to them as apposed to really seeing what the situation is, and the Pundits over there were so on the floor flip flopping from "he's got a lot of work to do, its going to be tough"... straight to... "hey he was going to fix it, just give him a transfer window".

It was sort of tragic, that so many people really didn't get a good feeling for the situation. For me, at the announcement I went through the emotions from, 'I've seen this guys set ups and they don't match us at all" and "An american, wow this is kind of neat". Of course after a few matches in charge it was obvious he wasn't ready for the role they through him in. honestly I think he'd make a great championship manager, and its probably where he should have started.

Honestly good to see more Americans on here. There's a few of us on here. Like Neil, I'm a welshman in the US-- Los Angeles for me.

Some managers are good at what they do, it's when they let their ego tell them that they are good at something else that bad things happen.
Another Yank on 13:53 - Jan 13 with 3405 viewsJaySun

Another Yank on 10:16 - Jan 13 by Bloodyhills

You'll get some tidy weather there then. :)

We've been dodging the bullet the last decade. It's not if but when the next storm hits.
Another Yank on 13:54 - Jan 13 with 3395 viewsJaySun

Another Yank on 10:28 - Jan 13 by Darran

Do you like Cheap Trick?

I don't not like them.
Another Yank on 13:56 - Jan 13 with 3386 viewsJaySun

Another Yank on 10:44 - Jan 13 by Lohengrin

That's where Hank Williams used to head for his lost weekends on the booze to get away from Audrey.

I had a distant cousin who played fiddle for Hank.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024