Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bielsa 10:15 - Apr 12 with 7583 viewsblaine_scfc

Already assessing our squad for next season apparently. Whatever happens it will be one hell of a ride if he takes over.
Bielsa on 15:43 - Apr 12 with 2147 viewsDewi1jack

Just a thought here (nothing positive, I'm not ITK!!!!)

What if our guide Guido is staying as chief coach/ manager and we're going down the DOF route and that's where Bielsa comes in?

Stops some board members going off FIFA football manager to get in players I s'pose.
Whole transfer windows going by and us not being linked to Sinclair, Adomah etc
How much disappointment will we suffer?

If you wake up breathing, thats a good start to your day and you'll make many thousands of people envious.

Bielsa on 15:47 - Apr 12 with 2139 viewsblueytheblue

Bielsa on 15:31 - Apr 12 by Lohengrin

You'll have to enlarge on that Bluey, if you're able? I can vaguely recall your lot signing sign some German giant in the late '90s who wasn't up to much, but not a lot else about him.

6ft 5, signed for £110k from Mannheim; massive fee for us at the time.

Looked a bit like Jackie Charlton.

We were told he was a central defender - had the slight problem in that he couldn't actually head the ball. Not in a Leo Fortune-West entertaining style where you could play "predict where the ball ends up" with your mates, but he just never even tried to head it.

He played a whopping 5 games for us; mostly a few sub appearances in cup games, mostly in midfield where he was anonymous. EDIT: Soccerbase says he played the bulk of the 90 minutes of those 5 games, league games. Shows how bad my memory is, but he definitely played in midfield at least once.

Having been anonymous whenever he played he stunned the near capacity* crowd once by actually controlling the ball. He then lumbered forward, getting into the opposition half. Even better, he actually kicked the ball forward with some velocity, known as a "shot". Which hit the post.

Never seen again after those brief cameos, he became known as "Shrunkendwarf" amongst witty ** fans.

The question was, why was he bought? Wasn't like we had an amazing scouting network at that time or even a scouting network. Wasn't even like he was a name player people would know about. Arguable it wasn't even like he could play football - after being released by us he played a whopping 22 more games before retiring.

The unproven rumour was that Burrows had received cash for signing him. I really hope that wasn't the case, as Burrows is a likeable guy. It's just that whole transfer was so bizarre it raised so many questions.

* if the capacity was close to zero that is

** witty as in gallows humour

EDIT: Had to go back and look him up; god my memory is shocking... so correction contained.
[Post edited 12 Apr 2016 15:51]

Poll: Alternate POTY final

Bielsa on 16:33 - Apr 12 with 2046 viewsLohengrin

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Don't tell me Frankie was crooked, mun!

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Bielsa on 16:43 - Apr 12 with 2022 viewsblueytheblue

Bielsa on 16:33 - Apr 12 by Lohengrin

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Don't tell me Frankie was crooked, mun!

I hope he wasn't, spoke to him a few times seemed a good guy. Very charismatic.

That transfer just seemed so utterly baffling that it's plausible.

Bielsa on 16:51 - Apr 12 with 2008 viewsDr_Winston

Bielsa on 13:50 - Apr 12 by DafyddHuw

Still is. Lovely style of football, flat cap and a moustache. All on a shoestring budget. He had it all.

Nothing but immense respect for Frankie. His reign was as good as it got for most of the first half of my time following the club.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Bielsa on 16:58 - Apr 12 with 1994 viewsblueytheblue

Bielsa on 16:51 - Apr 12 by Dr_Winston

Nothing but immense respect for Frankie. His reign was as good as it got for most of the first half of my time following the club.

Good boss for us too overall.

The players who have bridged the divide between the two of us have all, by and large, been quality.

Bielsa on 17:55 - Apr 12 with 1910 viewsmorningstar

Bielsa on 15:19 - Apr 12 by shimmie

Bluey's sound. Far better a poster than a lot of our resident "fans". And he'd probably still show an interest in us if we were relegated. That's not a dig at you by the way.

Innit. Doesn't matter who anyone supports, it's about the contribution they make.

Only winner of Planetswans Petulant Diva award.
Poll: Southampton home next. How many points

Bielsa on 18:27 - Apr 12 with 1869 viewsmonmouth

Bielsa on 15:19 - Apr 12 by shimmie

Bluey's sound. Far better a poster than a lot of our resident "fans". And he'd probably still show an interest in us if we were relegated. That's not a dig at you by the way.

Absolutely. I remain unconvinced he's not white at heart.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Login to get fewer ads

Bielsa on 18:32 - Apr 12 with 1847 viewsFlashberryjack

Bielsa on 11:47 - Apr 12 by OxOsp

Bielsa to Everton, leaving the way open to the Rodgers/Martinez dream team - with Brian Flynn as Director of Football, Frankie Burrows as kit man and Jan Molby in charge of catering.

Heard today that Brendan's on his way back here......done deal.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Bielsa on 18:33 - Apr 12 with 1846 viewsblueytheblue

Bielsa on 18:27 - Apr 12 by monmouth

Absolutely. I remain unconvinced he's not white at heart.

If you believe that, you're stupider than I am... oh wait...

Sorry, not a white at all. Just have a (grudging) respect for your recent success.

Bielsa on 19:39 - Apr 12 with 1757 viewsThurrockJack92

If Guidolin can keep us playing consistent attacking football for the remainder of the season then the job should be his to keep. If it is more defensive then I would like a new manager in the summer. Don't get me wrong, I know that it was necessary this season and I am grateful for what Guidolin has done, but I wouldn't want that to continue beyond this season.
Bielsa on 19:48 - Apr 12 with 1736 viewsjasper_T

Bielsa on 19:39 - Apr 12 by ThurrockJack92

If Guidolin can keep us playing consistent attacking football for the remainder of the season then the job should be his to keep. If it is more defensive then I would like a new manager in the summer. Don't get me wrong, I know that it was necessary this season and I am grateful for what Guidolin has done, but I wouldn't want that to continue beyond this season.

Listen to his post match comments and take a look at his entire managerial history. The answer is obvious.
Bielsa on 20:07 - Apr 12 with 1708 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Bielsa on 16:58 - Apr 12 by blueytheblue

Good boss for us too overall.

The players who have bridged the divide between the two of us have all, by and large, been quality.

Alan Cork

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Bielsa on 20:26 - Apr 12 with 1678 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

Bielsa on 19:39 - Apr 12 by ThurrockJack92

Guido he's done his job

We've Only played good attacking football against Chelsea (2nd X11 ) since he's been here

The rest we've just ground results out and rode our luck .

I don't think it's all down to him in my opinion .

It's a thanks but no thanks from me .

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

Bielsa on 20:43 - Apr 12 with 1637 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Bielsa on 16:51 - Apr 12 by Dr_Winston

His flat cap and moustache - whenever I see a fawlty towers episode Frankie Burrows comes to mind.

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Bielsa on 20:44 - Apr 12 with 1422 viewsPrivate_Partz

Bielsa on 20:26 - Apr 12 by oh_tommy_tommy

Guido he's done his job

We've Only played good attacking football against Chelsea (2nd X11 ) since he's been here

Thank goodness that luck riding took us from 2 points clear of the drop and heading south at the speed of knots to 13 points and safety. A rate that would have got us Championship qualification had we picked up points at that rate across a season. Despite having to work restrictively as it was too late to change things round dramatically we still had our first Premier wins against Everton and Chelsea.
Now.... What else did the Romans do for us ;-)
[Post edited 12 Apr 2016 20:50]

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Bielsa on 20:47 - Apr 12 with 1414 viewsThurrockJack92

Bielsa on 20:26 - Apr 12 by oh_tommy_tommy

Guido he's done his job

In fairness in those games we needed to grind out results so i'll put that down to good management rather than being indicative of his football philosophy. If he continues to have us play negatively then i'd be inclined to agree with you. However, he has 5 more games left to show us what he can do with no pressure and if the way we played against Chelsea is anything to go by then Guido will be our man next season.
Bielsa on 20:50 - Apr 12 with 1402 viewsSwaneeRiver

Bielsa on 20:47 - Apr 12 by ThurrockJack92

In fairness in those games we needed to grind out results so i'll put that down to good management rather than being indicative of his football philosophy. If he continues to have us play negatively then i'd be inclined to agree with you. However, he has 5 more games left to show us what he can do with no pressure and if the way we played against Chelsea is anything to go by then Guido will be our man next season.

Are you from Grays, mate ? My brother used to live there after moving from North Stifford
Bielsa on 20:55 - Apr 12 with 1393 viewsOldjack

Bielsa on 15:22 - Apr 12 by nyc_swans

FG loses to Bournmouth and we're on to Rodgers
FG beats Chelsea and we would be stupid to look at anyone else

let's let the season finish and reassess, eh

The shackles are off for Franco ,the penny dropped when we went 2 down at Stoke ,He's renowned for his fast attacking style ,now we've seen it ,and I've no doubts we'll see it right up to the end of the season
Franco for me

Prosser the Tosser dwells on Phil's bum hole like a rusty old hemorrhoid ,fact You Greedy Bastards Get Out Of OUR Club!

Bielsa on 21:31 - Apr 12 with 1347 viewsThurrockJack92

Bielsa on 20:50 - Apr 12 by SwaneeRiver

Are you from Grays, mate ? My brother used to live there after moving from North Stifford

I actually did the opposite. I moved from Grays to North Stifford, with 7 of my childhood years spent in Swansea in between.
Bielsa on 22:27 - Apr 12 with 1263 viewssP7qupUf

FG has done a first class job and the flack that he has been given is totally undeserved. The pundits and many on here had raised eyebrows at a change so late in the season but he has done the job. Lots thought that Big Sam would do the job at Sunderland. He's had far more time, money and a top class goalscorer (which we lack) and look at them!! FG will have the summer to get his players in and shape the team as he feels would bring success.
Bielsa on 09:31 - Apr 13 with 1128 viewsOxOsp

Bielsa on 20:43 - Apr 12 by Brynmill_Jack

His flat cap and moustache - whenever I see a fawlty towers episode Frankie Burrows comes to mind.

Frankie Burrows made me cry.

Having started this love-in, I should share that his little face, under that flat cap, as he walked over to us, applauding, having just been relegated at Notts County, made me bawl.

The missus thought I was having some sort of breakdown, and some older lady in the row behind said, "Never mind love, At least we get to batter Cardiff next season."
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024