Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Naismith 13:33 - Jan 12 with 24903 viewsDanGom1

Rumours that he's turned down Norwich for us, would you be happy with that?
Naismith on 20:46 - Jan 12 with 3014 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Naismith on 20:43 - Jan 12 by bt95

His best position is as a second-striker - kind of in between a No.10 and No.9.

He's very apt at picking up little pockets of space in and around the area.

However, because of his work rate, Moyes and Martinez seems to have played him more out wide - where he's wasted as he does not have the pace to beat a full-back and he can't cross/or make a killer pass.

Whenever he's played as a second-striker for us, which he did a lot late in 2013/14 and in the early part of last season, he's usually done a good job though, and he's bagged some really important goals.

Personally I wish we'd have used him a lot more in some of the games we dominated without getting the wins back in December. He'd have been our best choice to try and turn some of those draws into wins in the last 15 minutes of games.

Have to agree with the last bit in particular. The ultimate impact player, always scoring late on. We could do with some of that!

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Naismith on 20:47 - Jan 12 with 3015 viewsbt95

Naismith on 20:42 - Jan 12 by jack247

He also links play, puts runners through and makes the kind of runs that drag defenders out of position that Ayew would absolutely love to exploit.

Have to agree with others on this thread though, I wouldn't have him in the team ahead of Gylfi and our priorities should be a centre forward and a winger.

Siggurdsson is definitely a better player - think he's a class act on his day.

Naismith offers you work-rate, pressing and the ability to pick up those pockets of space (especially late in a game) and find a good finish.

I'll be sad to see him go (wherever he goes and if he does), but if we can get £8mil for him and that helps us go for a target like Yarmolenko then so be it.
Naismith on 20:50 - Jan 12 with 2977 viewspencoedjack

Naismith on 20:39 - Jan 12 by bt95

There is no 'big four' anymore though is there...

For years in the Prem it was Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool.

Now you throw Spurs, City in there as well.

But, and there's several lists of this, in terms of history of honours and scale of fanbase, Everton are the fourth biggest club in English football.

My argument was that fans shouldn't say that Stones etc. will leave to a 'big club' - they are already at a big club. They may well leave to a much richer club, or currently more successful, yes. But not necessarily bigger.

No way would I class Everton as one of the top 4 and you ask the majority of fans of other clubs they would agree.

Stones & Lukaka are exceptional players helping you punch above your current weight.

There are a lot of clubs both would see as a step up .,., if you can't see it your a bit delusional
Naismith on 20:54 - Jan 12 with 2953 viewsjack247

Naismith on 20:47 - Jan 12 by bt95

Siggurdsson is definitely a better player - think he's a class act on his day.

Naismith offers you work-rate, pressing and the ability to pick up those pockets of space (especially late in a game) and find a good finish.

I'll be sad to see him go (wherever he goes and if he does), but if we can get £8mil for him and that helps us go for a target like Yarmolenko then so be it.

I think they would actually work very well together. Gylfi does a hell of a lot of running at the moment, both finding space a and closing down when we lose possession. Gomis tends to drift a lot and then explode into life, Bony had the strength and touch to be able to stay in the central channel and let players buzz around him. I think Gylfi would be an even better player if he wasn't doing the lions share of the running and had someone creating time and space for him.

Having said that, I don't think Naismith is really a striker unless in an emergency and I can't see how we could get them both playing as #10s.
Naismith on 20:59 - Jan 12 with 2897 viewsbt95

Naismith on 20:50 - Jan 12 by pencoedjack

No way would I class Everton as one of the top 4 and you ask the majority of fans of other clubs they would agree.

Stones & Lukaka are exceptional players helping you punch above your current weight.

There are a lot of clubs both would see as a step up .,., if you can't see it your a bit delusional

What clubs mate? Genuine question...

Currently...

United (obviously bigger than us, yes)
Arsenal (same as above, but would Wenger spend so much on one player?)
Chelsea (well we told them no last year for Stones and would Rom go back there...)
City (yes, and I think this will be Stones' destination if Pep goes)

Spurs - NO
Liverpool - NO

That's the Prem sorted.

Now, we'll demand at least £40m for Stones, and if Rom carries on like he is (bare in mind he's 22) then we'll be able to start the asking price at £50m.

That means that realistically, there is only a few clubs that could afford them in the continent. Even teams like Valencia, Atletico Madrid and the Italian sides like Juve, Inter etc. (all massive clubs) cannot afford to spend £50m on one player.

The teams that can...

PSG - Think if Lukaku goes in the summer this would be he is likely destination.
Real - Obvioulsy they can afford, but none of our players are good enough for that side yet.
Barca - Again, same as Real - though Stones will end up there eventually i think.
Bayern - Again, it's the 'are they good enough' aspect to justify a club that doesn't normally spend £50mil on one player spending that much...

So I'd say that's 8 teams total that may be looking at our best players and realistically being able to afford them. But I;m not saying that only 8 clubs across Europe are bigger than us, obviously that is deluded.
Naismith on 21:00 - Jan 12 with 2858 viewsNeath_Jack

Naismith on 20:39 - Jan 12 by bt95

There is no 'big four' anymore though is there...

For years in the Prem it was Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool.

Now you throw Spurs, City in there as well.

But, and there's several lists of this, in terms of history of honours and scale of fanbase, Everton are the fourth biggest club in English football.

My argument was that fans shouldn't say that Stones etc. will leave to a 'big club' - they are already at a big club. They may well leave to a much richer club, or currently more successful, yes. But not necessarily bigger.

Aston Villa arre bigger than you.
Leeds are bigger than you.
Forest are bigger than you.
Wolves and Sheff Utd are probably on par with you.
The Geordies are bigger than you.

I could go on but i wont.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Naismith on 21:01 - Jan 12 with 2847 viewsDr_Winston

Spurs and Liverpool are both way bigger than Everton.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Naismith on 21:02 - Jan 12 with 2831 viewsshimmie

Naismith on 20:59 - Jan 12 by bt95

Currently...

Chelsea (well we told them no last year for Stones and would Rom go back there...)

Spurs - NO
Liverpool - NO

That's the Prem sorted.

Now, we'll demand at least £40m for Stones, and if Rom carries on like he is (bare in mind he's 22) then we'll be able to start the asking price at £50m.

That means that realistically, there is only a few clubs that could afford them in the continent. Even teams like Valencia, Atletico Madrid and the Italian sides like Juve, Inter etc. (all massive clubs) cannot afford to spend £50m on one player.

The teams that can...

PSG - Think if Lukaku goes in the summer this would be he is likely destination.
Real - Obvioulsy they can afford, but none of our players are good enough for that side yet.
Barca - Again, same as Real - though Stones will end up there eventually i think.
Bayern - Again, it's the 'are they good enough' aspect to justify a club that doesn't normally spend £50mil on one player spending that much...

So I'd say that's 8 teams total that may be looking at our best players and realistically being able to afford them. But I;m not saying that only 8 clubs across Europe are bigger than us, obviously that is deluded.

Compelling argument. Find it hard to argue with.
Login to get fewer ads

Naismith on 21:04 - Jan 12 with 2810 viewspencoedjack

Naismith on 21:01 - Jan 12 by Dr_Winston

Everton seem to have the same chip on their shoulders as the Basseys.

Must be a trait of having bigger neighbours
Naismith on 21:09 - Jan 12 with 2774 viewspencoedjack

Naismith on 20:59 - Jan 12 by bt95

Currently...

Spurs - NO
Liverpool - NO

That's the Prem sorted.

The teams that can...

I'm not on about being able to afford them but there are far bigger clubs than you that would be a step up.
Naismith on 21:19 - Jan 12 with 2733 viewsbt95

Naismith on 21:00 - Jan 12 by Neath_Jack

http://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/50-biggest-clubs-england-man-united-1st-arsena

Sorry, I stand corrected. Updated list as of this year - we are level 6th.

Level 5th with Spurs and Villa in terms of honours.
Naismith on 21:23 - Jan 12 with 2701 viewsbt95

Naismith on 21:09 - Jan 12 by pencoedjack

I'm not on about being able to afford them but there are far bigger clubs than you that would be a step up.

Right but it all comes down to money, as no club in the prem no longer has to sell to buy.

We proved we are not a selling club last summer despite every man and his dog saying Stones should have been sold.

I think personally it's benefited Stones a lot more by being at Everton this season than going to that shower of a plazzy club in the capital.

Yes, there are plenty of clubs across Europe that are bigger than us. There's i'd say five or six that are bigger than us (if you include the new money clubs like City and Chelsea) in England. There's a few on par (Spurs, Villa etc)

Somebody earlier stated Newcastle as a bigger club. They haven't won anything for over 50 years and are a one club city...
Naismith on 21:26 - Jan 12 with 2672 viewsbt95

Anyway, this has turned into the 'Everton a big club?' thread, so apologies for that.

I wanted to offer my opinion on two players who if they signed for you would be I think good signings - given your current situation. You need players who have proven themselves at this level, not a load of Championship players or randomers from different leagues.

That, to me, isn't patronising in any way.

As I said in my OP though, there's been nothing from our end on this. As far as we are aware, the deal (if any) is with Norwich for Naismith.

Gibson there hasn't been anything on other than we are allowing him to leave on loan.
Naismith on 21:27 - Jan 12 with 2666 viewsThornburyswan

Naismith on 20:54 - Jan 12 by jack247

I think they would actually work very well together. Gylfi does a hell of a lot of running at the moment, both finding space a and closing down when we lose possession. Gomis tends to drift a lot and then explode into life, Bony had the strength and touch to be able to stay in the central channel and let players buzz around him. I think Gylfi would be an even better player if he wasn't doing the lions share of the running and had someone creating time and space for him.

Having said that, I don't think Naismith is really a striker unless in an emergency and I can't see how we could get them both playing as #10s.

We could play a holding/middle 3 of Leon, Ki & Cork giving us Ayew, Siggy & Naismith in the final third - downside would be lack of width & pace but we'd have 3 interchangeable players up top who would all put a shift in & offer a goal threat - potentially a better away option.
Naismith on 21:28 - Jan 12 with 2662 viewspencoedjack

Naismith on 21:23 - Jan 12 by bt95

Right but it all comes down to money, as no club in the prem no longer has to sell to buy.

We proved we are not a selling club last summer despite every man and his dog saying Stones should have been sold.

I think personally it's benefited Stones a lot more by being at Everton this season than going to that shower of a plazzy club in the capital.

Yes, there are plenty of clubs across Europe that are bigger than us. There's i'd say five or six that are bigger than us (if you include the new money clubs like City and Chelsea) in England. There's a few on par (Spurs, Villa etc)

Somebody earlier stated Newcastle as a bigger club. They haven't won anything for over 50 years and are a one club city...

Wigan won the FA cup a couple of years ago does that make them bigger than you then ?
Naismith on 21:30 - Jan 12 with 2644 viewsbt95

Naismith on 21:01 - Jan 12 by Dr_Winston

Agree mate. But none of our best players will be sold to either of them.

A) We won't sell to Liverpool
B) Unless Spurs finish in the top four then they are not an upgrade on us for our young players - and again I can't see Levy spending £50mil on one player.
Naismith on 21:32 - Jan 12 with 2622 viewsbt95

Naismith on 21:28 - Jan 12 by pencoedjack

Wigan won the FA cup a couple of years ago does that make them bigger than you then ?

No mate.

But Newcastle are not a bigger club than Everton. There is literally no evidence to back it up.

They have a bigger stadium but their entire city is the fanbase - whereas Everton share a city of around a-bout equal size with one of the biggest clubs in Europe historically. That's my argument. And the same goes for Leeds.
Naismith on 21:38 - Jan 12 with 2589 viewsThornburyswan

Naismith on 21:32 - Jan 12 by bt95

No mate.

But Newcastle are not a bigger club than Everton. There is literally no evidence to back it up.

They have a bigger stadium but their entire city is the fanbase - whereas Everton share a city of around a-bout equal size with one of the biggest clubs in Europe historically. That's my argument. And the same goes for Leeds.

For me the only English clubs bigger than Everton are the usual top 4 (Arse, MUtd, Citeh & the Chavs) plus Liverpool (fan base/trophies/history etc) - Spurs are in the same level for me but with the 'London' location gives them a better platform, without a new investor & retention of players like Stones/Barkley/Lukaku Everton cannot challenge the top 5 for me.

That said they are clearly, for what it's worth, bigger than Villa, Barcodes, Leeds, Forest etc etc
Naismith on 22:26 - Jan 12 with 2376 viewsbt95

Naismith on 21:38 - Jan 12 by Thornburyswan

For me the only English clubs bigger than Everton are the usual top 4 (Arse, MUtd, Citeh & the Chavs) plus Liverpool (fan base/trophies/history etc) - Spurs are in the same level for me but with the 'London' location gives them a better platform, without a new investor & retention of players like Stones/Barkley/Lukaku Everton cannot challenge the top 5 for me.

That said they are clearly, for what it's worth, bigger than Villa, Barcodes, Leeds, Forest etc etc

Well put mate.

Kind of what I was trying to say. And agree entirely on the point about an investor.
Naismith on 22:31 - Jan 12 with 2346 viewsDewi1jack

Naismith on 21:27 - Jan 12 by Thornburyswan

We could play a holding/middle 3 of Leon, Ki & Cork giving us Ayew, Siggy & Naismith in the final third - downside would be lack of width & pace but we'd have 3 interchangeable players up top who would all put a shift in & offer a goal threat - potentially a better away option.

Could always drop Ki and either Leon or Corky at home and go with Wayne and Mo/ Jeff.
We have 3 subs to use if things are going well (defensive option) or poorly (offensive option providing we can get a couple of players in.)
Naismith and Gibson would definitely battle the opposition.
The only worry is Gibson being a tad injury prone (tad used in a similar vein to Shelvey being a tad stroppy.)
So, just Naismith and Lukaku (if the Tapas waiter still loooooooooves us as a clooooob) from Everton then

If you wake up breathing, thats a good start to your day and you'll make many thousands of people envious.

Naismith on 22:40 - Jan 12 with 2278 viewsDyfnant

Naismith on 20:46 - Jan 12 by Brynmill_Jack

Have to agree with the last bit in particular. The ultimate impact player, always scoring late on. We could do with some of that!

£8M for an impact sub lol

Poll: How much will SCFC spend on transfer fees this summer

Naismith on 22:42 - Jan 12 with 2253 viewsLoyal

Naismith if he signed would not be anything other than a starter. Every game.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Naismith on 23:15 - Jan 12 with 2135 viewsMatlock_Jack

Naismith on 18:42 - Jan 12 by Neath_Jack

When did you last win a trophy la?

You wouldn't even be the 4th biggest in the Championship let alone Britain ffs.

This.
Naismith on 23:28 - Jan 12 with 2079 viewsBanosswan

I'm amazed at some of the responses by our fans here. Everton not a big club???
http://www.myfootballfacts.com/All-TimeTopFlightPointsTable1888-89to2010-11.html

Or
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_football_clubs_in_England_by_competitive

In the top seven having not won a trophy for 20 years.

Fukme, five years in the prem and all sense of reason has completely deserted some of our fans.

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.
Poll: How do you like your steak?

Naismith on 23:38 - Jan 12 with 2052 viewsdailew

Naismith on 21:00 - Jan 12 by Neath_Jack

No they're not.

Have you been cuckolded by an Evertonian or something?

Poll: Would you like Rodgers back as the new manager ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024