Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Game 38/39 17:20 - Oct 8 with 2154 viewspierre91

....for those who want some succinct explanation I commend both these links............

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/oct/07/premier-league-38th-game-oversea

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/oct/08/the-fiver-premier-league-game-38
Game 38/39 on 19:45 - Oct 8 with 2080 viewsQuakerJack

Whilst I don't support the 38th game idea, I am warming more and more to a 39th. It might involve rejigging the season... perhap a situation where the premier league sides come into the FA Cup one round later (although that might be a major issue for lower league sides who rely on the potential revenue of a premier league tie). Or maybe come into the league cup a few rounds later and replace those evenings with prem games to free up a weekend somewhere else, probably the very first game of the season given we'll have been on tour anyway.

The reason I think it's a good idea is a selfish one from a Swans perspective. Our story has already proven to be the stuff of Hollywood dreams... With the right marketing we can really make big financial steps and attract US investment and playing a league game there would be a big help. Plus, being unique in the sense that we're Welsh would also help, particularly if we could market ourselves as such, Americans are very proud of their family origins, like the Irish in Boston. If we looked to places like Pensylvania, where there were Welsh roots linked to mining we could become very successful and with FFP that would be a big help to long term sustainability.

If the board anticipate this and lay the ground work in terms of links, which have been discussed at the Trust meeting and we've already been on tour there, we could be in a great position by the time it starts to drive our image forward.

Poll: Some scummer on the anus board reckons 80% of us want them to go down. so... do

Game 38/39 on 21:11 - Oct 8 with 2033 viewsCatullus

I'm dead against it. It's only about the money and doesn't the premier league have enough of that?
And besides, other countries will only be interested in the top teams. The Malays, Chinese etc, the want to see Real, Man Utd and Barca. They're not interested in Stoke, Burnley or Swansea.
The last thing, however much extra revenue we made out of it, the top clubs would make even more. They would move further ahead of us.
It's not in our interests, it's not in footballs interest and certainly not for the good of the fans.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Game 38/39 on 21:31 - Oct 8 with 2015 viewsC_jack

Game 38/39 on 21:11 - Oct 8 by Catullus

I'm dead against it. It's only about the money and doesn't the premier league have enough of that?
And besides, other countries will only be interested in the top teams. The Malays, Chinese etc, the want to see Real, Man Utd and Barca. They're not interested in Stoke, Burnley or Swansea.
The last thing, however much extra revenue we made out of it, the top clubs would make even more. They would move further ahead of us.
It's not in our interests, it's not in footballs interest and certainly not for the good of the fans.

There's no such thing as 'enough money'.

It will happen, and likely begin with a team 'giving up' a home game to play overseas. I'm amazed it's taken this long.

Poll: Who did you vote for today, in the general election?

Game 38/39 on 21:51 - Oct 8 with 1993 viewsCatullus

Game 38/39 on 21:31 - Oct 8 by C_jack

There's no such thing as 'enough money'.

It will happen, and likely begin with a team 'giving up' a home game to play overseas. I'm amazed it's taken this long.

Well if it's game 39, points are involved and someone gets relegated because of it, a legal challenge won't be far behind.
Don't 75% of clubs have to agree for a change to happen. So 15 clubs need to vote yes. I can see the top 6/7 going for it, but the rest of us, do you think so?
And if it's us who gives up a home game to play out in Singapore, China or anywhere else, I'll expect a cheaper season ticket. But the club will probably say prices have gone up alongside the new arrangements.

In all honesty, I am not as in love with football as I was 20 years ago. Now all this nonsense is coming in, I may well stop going completely. And when you say " no such thing as enough money" maybe what you should say is " too much money is never enough" because 100,000 a week is beyond obscene, never mind Falcao's apparent 350,000 a week, it's ludicrous. It would take us over 10 years to earn that.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Game 38/39 on 22:08 - Oct 8 with 1978 viewsC_jack

Game 38/39 on 21:51 - Oct 8 by Catullus

Well if it's game 39, points are involved and someone gets relegated because of it, a legal challenge won't be far behind.
Don't 75% of clubs have to agree for a change to happen. So 15 clubs need to vote yes. I can see the top 6/7 going for it, but the rest of us, do you think so?
And if it's us who gives up a home game to play out in Singapore, China or anywhere else, I'll expect a cheaper season ticket. But the club will probably say prices have gone up alongside the new arrangements.

In all honesty, I am not as in love with football as I was 20 years ago. Now all this nonsense is coming in, I may well stop going completely. And when you say " no such thing as enough money" maybe what you should say is " too much money is never enough" because 100,000 a week is beyond obscene, never mind Falcao's apparent 350,000 a week, it's ludicrous. It would take us over 10 years to earn that.

Game '39' is/was never going to happen, a stupid idea blown out of proportion by the media.

Do you think any of the clubs are going to disagree with, what in theory, are their biggest shareholders? Overseas televison rights is what generates the money. I read earlier that every recognised nation in the world, apart from North Korea and Albania, has some kind of television rights to the BPL. No other league matches that.

As I've said before, these countries are demanding more for their buck, and if they start to think that they're not getting enough for what they pay for, then the whole thing will really go down the pan.
[Post edited 8 Oct 2014 22:09]

Game 38/39 on 23:22 - Oct 8 with 1935 viewsSwansNZ

So when does having TV rights give you the right to have games played in your home country? — TV is f**king TV. All the extra money will just go to the players, who are already grossly overpaid.

Totally against having to play a home game away from home — even if it’s in NZ.

Poll: Should the official match day thread include pictures?

Game 38/39 on 00:20 - Oct 9 with 1914 viewsUxbridge

The whole thing is an abomination. It'll happen though.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

Game 38/39 on 02:46 - Oct 9 with 1888 viewsphact0rri

Game 38/39 on 00:20 - Oct 9 by Uxbridge

The whole thing is an abomination. It'll happen though.

I think it depends on how its handled. I don't like the idea of a On-season 39th match going elsewhere as it is a UK league, and depending on the clubs in question sometimes that will be hometown advantage for one club if they have massive supporters, and a less famous club is playing at a disadvantage supporter wise.

I do think that a single post season round and even as mentioned before a type of cup at the end of the season set in a country that wants to support it would be welcomed-- they do stuff like this in a few of the rugby leagues.

Poll: Should EPL Refrees hold Post-Match Interviews

Login to get fewer ads

Game 38/39 on 09:32 - Oct 9 with 1796 viewstomdickharry

Game 38/39 on 21:11 - Oct 8 by Catullus

Great post.
Game 38/39 on 14:36 - Oct 9 with 1727 viewsJBT95

Game 38/39 on 19:45 - Oct 8 by QuakerJack

Whilst I don't support the 38th game idea, I am warming more and more to a 39th. It might involve rejigging the season... perhap a situation where the premier league sides come into the FA Cup one round later (although that might be a major issue for lower league sides who rely on the potential revenue of a premier league tie). Or maybe come into the league cup a few rounds later and replace those evenings with prem games to free up a weekend somewhere else, probably the very first game of the season given we'll have been on tour anyway.

The reason I think it's a good idea is a selfish one from a Swans perspective. Our story has already proven to be the stuff of Hollywood dreams... With the right marketing we can really make big financial steps and attract US investment and playing a league game there would be a big help. Plus, being unique in the sense that we're Welsh would also help, particularly if we could market ourselves as such, Americans are very proud of their family origins, like the Irish in Boston. If we looked to places like Pensylvania, where there were Welsh roots linked to mining we could become very successful and with FFP that would be a big help to long term sustainability.

If the board anticipate this and lay the ground work in terms of links, which have been discussed at the Trust meeting and we've already been on tour there, we could be in a great position by the time it starts to drive our image forward.

I don't agree full stop.

Against modern football. Prices, this. It's too much. In my opinion it should still be a 42 game season at the top level.

Anyway, with you saying about rejigging the cups, this season as it is two weeks longer has free weekends for prem clubs for the first 4 FA Cup rounds that they are involved in, so the only games that clash in the FAC + PL are the semi finals. The extra game could be played on FA Cup Quarter Final weekend maybe?

I hope it doesn't happen though, just leave it to friendlies abroad in preseason.
Game 38/39 on 14:44 - Oct 9 with 1716 viewsC_jack

Game 38/39 on 23:22 - Oct 8 by SwansNZ

So when does having TV rights give you the right to have games played in your home country? — TV is f**king TV. All the extra money will just go to the players, who are already grossly overpaid.

Totally against having to play a home game away from home — even if it’s in NZ.

Over £2 billion in overseas rights over three years, most of it from Asia.

They have no right as such, but they have a right to decide if their getting value for what they pay for. They won't expect to keep putting more in without getting any more in return.

Game 38/39 on 15:36 - Oct 9 with 1698 viewsmonmouth

Game 38/39 on 14:44 - Oct 9 by C_jack

Over £2 billion in overseas rights over three years, most of it from Asia.

They have no right as such, but they have a right to decide if their getting value for what they pay for. They won't expect to keep putting more in without getting any more in return.

Don't think that's the issue really, If they weren't making bundles selling the current product they wouldn't do it, so they have no bargaining clout as they won't kill the golden goose. Don't matter though, the chairmen will go for it even if the Manure's of this world cream off the top. Huw has already more or less said so hasn't he? Apart from watching the actual games themselves., modern football is a pile of sh1t. I hope it does all come crashing down, as we would be almost uniquely positioned. It won't though; it'll roll on with more and more obscene money being dished out to the lucky few.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024