Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Masterclass..... 21:47 - May 9 with 4061 viewsBostonR

From O Neil in midfield. Did not put a foot wrong with Onuaha not far behind.
Masterclass..... on 19:35 - May 10 with 738 viewssimmo

Masterclass..... on 23:26 - May 9 by Antti_Heinola

No, but he'd need to have created an opportunity or two, or made a truly outstanding tackle when we were short or done something out of the ordinary that would at least have had me saying 'great stuff Gary', yes.

I think we're probably just at odds as to what 6/10 means to each other! To me 6/10 is job done - nothing fancy, but done what was asked of him and didn't make any serious mistakes. There's probably a decent argument for a 7, but to me it was a solid 6 - and I'd give that mark to probably all our players, with one or two getting a 5 (through not much fault of their own) and perhaps Ned edging a 7.

What would you say his job was? He rarely got near the Wigan box, for example (and when he did his two shots were pretty dreadful!) because that clearly wasn't his job, so he never needed to take a risk or commit himself, so really there was not much danger of him being caught out of position or whatever. He had to hold in the centre and he did that well enough - although almost all of Wigan's threat, such as it was (and it wasn't a lot, which is again why I don't think anyone had an amazing game - we were never seriously tested, partly because we were compact and organised but partly because Wigan were very cagey and didn't want to take a deficit to LR) came down the flanks, where actually Hoilett, who I would say had a better all round game than O'Neil, had to work very hard in tandem with Hill, yet still carried a threat going forward. Hoilett in fact was forced to almost play left back for periods in the first half, yet still did well to get up and support the attack.
Now, that wasn't necessarily O'Neil's job (to support the attack) - he had a simple job, and did it. Fine. I'm not criticising his play AT ALL. He played well. But it's a 6, or a 7 if you want to be more positive ;), and a masterclass only in the sense of playing a very specific, very limiting role pretty well.

Exactly as I saw it, mr 6/10.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Masterclass..... on 13:58 - May 11 with 675 viewsAntti_Heinola

Masterclass..... on 22:53 - May 9 by Antti_Heinola

Bet you anything that's what Clive gives him!

Look, I'm not having a go at him at all - considering he normally gets subbed at half time i thought he was fine, as i said - worked phenomenally hard as he always does. But I didn't see anything there that could be described as a masterclass that's all! Not having a go Boston, at you or him. But it was a tight game, where neither side really took any chances and both were very cagey. I'm not sure anyone on the pitch got above a 6/10 to be honest. Did anyone really stand out? I don't think so. It was a nervy game to watch for us, but any neutral would have turned off well before the end and said 'two average sides with average players content for a draw and take their chances in the 2nd leg.' That's all!

Did you, er, take me up on that bet, Boston? ;)
Seriously though, if he plays tomorrow hope he has another decent game. although i suspect Carroll will come back in.

Bare bones.

Masterclass..... on 14:02 - May 11 with 671 viewsNorthernr

I just think he gives the ball away too much. He wouldn't have needed to tear about and defend like that if he didn't keep passing the ball straight to a bloody Wigan player every time he got it.
Masterclass..... on 15:44 - May 11 with 624 viewsAntti_Heinola

Agreed.

Bare bones.

Masterclass..... on 17:29 - May 11 with 605 viewsBostonR

Masterclass..... on 13:58 - May 11 by Antti_Heinola

Did you, er, take me up on that bet, Boston? ;)
Seriously though, if he plays tomorrow hope he has another decent game. although i suspect Carroll will come back in.

Must have missed something - what bet?

Still think you and Northernr are harsh on his performance. He is not my favourate player but given the job he did on the night he was outstanding for me. Anyway, I am there tomorrow night but having watched R's for 45yrs I am not hedging my bets.
I really hope LTC does not play tomorrow as his tendency to give the ball away will cost us dear.
Anyway - cmon you R's.
Masterclass..... on 17:47 - May 11 with 589 viewsNorthernr

Masterclass..... on 17:29 - May 11 by BostonR

Still think you and Northernr are harsh on his performance. He is not my favourate player but given the job he did on the night he was outstanding for me. Anyway, I am there tomorrow night but having watched R's for 45yrs I am not hedging my bets.
I really hope LTC does not play tomorrow as his tendency to give the ball away will cost us dear.
Anyway - cmon you R's.

So Gary O'Neil delivers a midfield masterclass, but Tom Carroll gives the ball away too much?
Masterclass..... on 23:13 - May 11 with 547 viewsBostonR

Masterclass..... on 17:47 - May 11 by Northernr

So Gary O'Neil delivers a midfield masterclass, but Tom Carroll gives the ball away too much?

I don't have the stats to hand but would wager O'Neil keeps the ball far better than Carroll. It's a game of opinions and you have a high opinion of Carroll. For me he adds nothing to team and I have yet to see him really affect a game-something O'Neil certainly did at Wigan.
Masterclass..... on 23:47 - May 11 with 539 viewsWadR

Masterclass..... on 23:13 - May 11 by BostonR

I don't have the stats to hand but would wager O'Neil keeps the ball far better than Carroll. It's a game of opinions and you have a high opinion of Carroll. For me he adds nothing to team and I have yet to see him really affect a game-something O'Neil certainly did at Wigan.

From WhoScored, O'Neil on Friday night - 44 passes, 82% complete

Tom Carroll against Millwall - 40 passes, 78% complete, against Forest 52 passes 83% complete.

I would start Carroll tomorrow. I think he's been better recently, and has started to get forward more frequently and with more confidence. We were very rigid on Friday (arguably the game plan) and I think Carroll's quicker movement would really help. Playing against a team as comfortable on the ball as Wigan, we really need to make the most of our possession, Carroll's more ambitious than O'Neil.

From what I've seen, Barton, O'Neil and Henry give the ball away just as much as Carroll. But Barton's surprising popularity with the majority of our fans seems to make him exempt from the criticism Carroll gets at games for similar mistakes.
[Post edited 11 May 2014 23:49]
Login to get fewer ads

Masterclass..... on 09:54 - May 12 with 504 viewssimmo

Masterclass..... on 23:47 - May 11 by WadR

From WhoScored, O'Neil on Friday night - 44 passes, 82% complete

Tom Carroll against Millwall - 40 passes, 78% complete, against Forest 52 passes 83% complete.

I would start Carroll tomorrow. I think he's been better recently, and has started to get forward more frequently and with more confidence. We were very rigid on Friday (arguably the game plan) and I think Carroll's quicker movement would really help. Playing against a team as comfortable on the ball as Wigan, we really need to make the most of our possession, Carroll's more ambitious than O'Neil.

From what I've seen, Barton, O'Neil and Henry give the ball away just as much as Carroll. But Barton's surprising popularity with the majority of our fans seems to make him exempt from the criticism Carroll gets at games for similar mistakes.
[Post edited 11 May 2014 23:49]

That site also has Carroll with 2 assists, which is rubbish, he had 2 against Forest alone.

For me O'Neil is somewhere inbetween Henry and Carroll, he's not as good at breaking up play or covering defenders as Henry, and not as incisive or direct with his passing as Carroll. Considering he also has no pace, not good in the air and doesnt seem to be a strong finisher, I struggle to see what impact he has above being a good professional with an engine. An OK squad player that benefits from being disciplined and therefore versatile.

Agree with the last paragraph too RE Barton. Just as wasteful with possession as Carroll (if not more) and LTC is also not a bit of a dick.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Masterclass..... on 10:13 - May 12 with 501 viewsAntti_Heinola

Masterclass..... on 17:29 - May 11 by BostonR

Anyway - cmon you R's.

When you pooh-poohed my suggestion he was a solid 6, I said 'I bet you Clive gives him a 6 too' (earlier in the thread). But it doesn't matter - who cares who plays as long as they put in the effort and go out and try and win the game.

Bare bones.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024