Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
QPR's greatest number 10s 22:26 - Jul 11 with 6275 viewsDylanP

Rodney Marsh
Stan Bowles
Tony Currie
Simon Stainrod
Roy Wegerlie
Kevin Gallen
Adel Taarabt

Who have I missed?

Poll: Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years?

QPR's greatest number 10s on 15:40 - Jul 12 with 1061 viewsDylanP

QPR's greatest number 10s on 09:49 - Jul 12 by rongould

E.H. Lintott played at left half back, centre half back and centre forward. Therefore his numbers would have been 6,5 and 9 respectively, if they had numbers.

We have had some interesting players that wore the number 10 since I have been watching Rangers
In my early days there was Cyril Hatton, Don Mills and Albert Parkinson
Parkinson was very interesting,he was p'd off with the maximum wage and gave up playing. He sold newspapers outside Mornington Crescent underground for many years.

Others of note were George Petchey, Leslie Locke (an amateur, who ran the half mile for Scotland in the Commonwealth Games) Frank Large, and Kieth Sanderson (Rodders took over the 10 from him)

But I am surprised that one of our most prolific scorers and starter of a long line of eccentric QPR 10's has been forgotten

Ladies and Gentlemen I give you

(Fanfare of trumpets)

The one and only

BRIAN BEDFORD

Played 284 games between 1959 and 1965

Scored 180 goals

Say no more

Nice one Ron.

When I typed in Lintott, I was actually thinking of Bedford, but as both are considerably before my time I get them mixed up. Both had amazing careers. Both get no credit coz they were from a bye-gone era. One of them (Lintott, I think) went off and was killed during the Battle of the Bulge /Somme/one of those crazy World War I slaughters.

Thanks for the link. I will have to read up more about both.

QPR's greatest number 10s on 15:46 - Jul 12 with 1056 viewsBrianMcCarthy

QPR's greatest number 10s on 15:40 - Jul 12 by DylanP

Nice one Ron.

When I typed in Lintott, I was actually thinking of Bedford, but as both are considerably before my time I get them mixed up. Both had amazing careers. Both get no credit coz they were from a bye-gone era. One of them (Lintott, I think) went off and was killed during the Battle of the Bulge /Somme/one of those crazy World War I slaughters.

I'm pretty sure that Bedford didn't get killed in World War 1, although it's possible he did but still scored 180 goals a half a century later?

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

QPR's greatest number 10s on 16:15 - Jul 12 with 1047 viewsNov77

QPR's greatest number 10s on 13:20 - Jul 12 by Tonto

I will admit about 5 mins after posting that i thought - hang on didnt satinrod wear 10 in the cup final, gregory 7 (which I was right about!) and, therefore, Currie wore 8.

And yet when i was explaining the legend of the no 10 shirt to my mrs yesterday, i said Currie wore it (before I saw this thread), and I have a picture in my head of Currie wearing it again and again (it was about the time i started to go regularly)

Currie did wear it, in fact I'm sure that was the reason he was bought, Gregory knew stan was going and he wanted someone to continue the legacy.
When stainrod arrived he took the number ten and Currie wore 7. Not sure why Goddard wore it occasionaly, theres a clip on youtube v Wrexham where Currie is wearing 12, Bowles is 7 and Goddard is wearing 10!!!

This is a clip of Currie scoring a tap-in v West Ham (wearing the number ten). I think its the only recording of him scoring for us.
Strange to see the Loft full of away fans.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

QPR's greatest number 10s on 21:15 - Jul 12 with 1023 viewsextratimeR

Might be wrong but did'nt Les Allen wear the number 10 before Rodney arrived?

he was straight out of the Tottenham double side and a class player.
QPR's greatest number 10s on 21:35 - Jul 12 with 1015 viewsrongould

QPR's greatest number 10s on 15:40 - Jul 12 by DylanP

Nice one Ron.

Lt. Evelyn Lintott of the 15th Battalion, West Yorkshire Regiment was killed on July 1st 1916, leading the men of A troop into battle on the first day of "the great push" now jnown as the Battle of the Somme. Still the worst day in the history of the Brutish Army
The Leeds Pals (Lintott, was playing for Leeds City when he joined) lost all but 48 men in the first 15 minutes.
Lintott was a real hero
He turned pro because Rangers were in deep financial trouble and they were then able to transfer him to Bradford City in The Football League for £1000, to save our bacon
He was our first England international both for the full team and the amateur team
After a real football scandal he was voted secretary of the new PFA to help calm things down.
He is a Ranger that should never be forgotten
QPR's greatest number 10s on 21:59 - Jul 12 with 1006 viewsElHoop

QPR's greatest number 10s on 13:50 - Jul 12 by TheBlob

Wot,no John Collins or Alan Wilks?

Back in the day, someone told me that Jim Gregory liked the idea of signing Stainrod because his name was almost Stan and Rod put together. Sounded a bit like a load of bollocks to me at the time but you never know I suppose.
QPR's greatest number 10s on 22:02 - Jul 12 with 1003 viewsDylanP

Thanks for that Ron. I agree.

QPR's greatest number 10s on 22:10 - Jul 12 with 995 viewssexton

QPR's greatest number 10s on 21:59 - Jul 12 by ElHoop

Back in the day, someone told me that Jim Gregory liked the idea of signing Stainrod because his name was almost Stan and Rod put together. Sounded a bit like a load of bollocks to me at the time but you never know I suppose.

When we signed him one paper's headline was 'Stain-Rodney'.
Login to get fewer ads

QPR's greatest number 10s on 22:15 - Jul 12 with 987 viewsDylanP

QPR's greatest number 10s on 21:59 - Jul 12 by ElHoop

Me and my Dad used to make that joke to each other.

He was a pretty good player and there were days (only days, mind) when he played like he deserved to be mentioned in their company.

QPR's greatest number 10s on 22:25 - Jul 12 with 983 viewsElHoop

QPR's greatest number 10s on 22:15 - Jul 12 by DylanP

He was a pretty good player and there were days (only days, mind) when he played like he deserved to be mentioned in their company.

Stainrod. The only time that I ever went to Sheffield Wednesday, he was playing and they really hated him, but he scored a hat-trick up there and one of them was absolutely top-drawer.
QPR's greatest number 10s on 01:07 - Jul 13 with 966 viewsGetMeRangers

QPR's greatest number 10s on 22:15 - Jul 12 by DylanP

There are people who moan about Adel being lazy... Cor blimey. Stainrod was a goal-hanging lazy git at times. Used to really rile me that he couldnt be arsed. Clive Allen was anoth, but he scored so many it made up for it. Adel, even in the seasons before where he was being slated, at least had amazing skill and moments of pure delight. I only ever saw the tail end of Stan's career at LR, so cant really compare him, but Adel is the brightest thing we have had at LR in a very long time... I am one of those "worth the admission money on his own" camp. I am just so pleased that it appears to be going right for him now and even more so that it is at LR and with no-one else
QPR's greatest number 10s on 01:10 - Jul 13 with 965 viewsDylanP

QPR's greatest number 10s on 01:07 - Jul 13 by GetMeRangers

There are people who moan about Adel being lazy... Cor blimey. Stainrod was a goal-hanging lazy git at times. Used to really rile me that he couldnt be arsed. Clive Allen was anoth, but he scored so many it made up for it. Adel, even in the seasons before where he was being slated, at least had amazing skill and moments of pure delight. I only ever saw the tail end of Stan's career at LR, so cant really compare him, but Adel is the brightest thing we have had at LR in a very long time... I am one of those "worth the admission money on his own" camp. I am just so pleased that it appears to be going right for him now and even more so that it is at LR and with no-one else

Agree about Adel. No question.

Stainrod had some silky skills, its just he didn't like to ruffle up his beautiful hair!!!

Clive Allen did benefit from Goddard's linking play, but his skill cannot be underestimated. He was awesome:

[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

QPR's greatest number 10s on 01:59 - Jul 13 with 960 viewsqprmick

Brian Bedford was number 9 surely.

Qprmick

QPR's greatest number 10s on 02:03 - Jul 13 with 960 viewsqprmick

Most people who saw him would no longer be with us and most of his record is not in the top flight.

Qprmick

QPR's greatest number 10s on 02:32 - Jul 13 with 958 viewsSonofNorfolt

As much as John Byrne was a skilful player, he was also a bit of a tart, and away from home often got bullied by a big centre back.

Gary Bannister on the other hand, should be remembered as a very good forward for us, as should Mark Falco.
QPR's greatest number 10s on 04:30 - Jul 13 with 927 viewsCornish_oooRRRR

what no. did that guy falco wear? sure he bagged a couple when qpr came down and beat my hometown team falmouth town. 6 nil i think it was

oops, just read previous post. sonofno beat me to it
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

It's got to be Yarg

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024