Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Interesting Club Names 09:56 - Sep 11 with 3880 viewsGaryHaddock

Just discovered Club Always Ready, from Bolivia.

[Post edited 11 Sep 9:58]
Interesting Club Names on 10:03 - Sep 11 with 2517 viewshantssi

Greatest Hits, Simon Mayo show at about 10 past 5 every day, the sports guy always has weird and wonderful names from all over the world!!
Interesting Club Names on 10:05 - Sep 11 with 2514 viewsMrSheen

Also from Bolivia, second in the league.

Interesting Club Names on 10:11 - Sep 11 with 2491 viewsMrSheen

4th in the league. Got both Always Ready and The Strongest in a couple of weeks.

Interesting Club Names on 10:14 - Sep 11 with 2471 viewshubble

I rather like the

And

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Interesting Club Names on 10:17 - Sep 11 with 2471 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Interesting Club Names on 10:05 - Sep 11 by MrSheen

Also from Bolivia, second in the league.

Funnily enough, I've seen them play. The second stoppage for fighting and general disorder required the army to join the police on the pitch to break up the teams/subs/coaching staff!

The delicious part: Bolivian bloke beside me was having a go at me after I mentioned I was English, by saying, "Los Hooligans, Los Hooligans." As the bloodbath was unfurling in front of us, i nudged him and nodding toward the pitch said, "Los Hooligans!'

Of course, when in South America: you gotta get behind Peru's finest....FC VVanka
[Post edited 11 Sep 10:18]

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Interesting Club Names on 10:35 - Sep 11 with 2421 viewsted_hendrix

**Barnestoneworth United** is the worst football team of 1935,who lose every match. Gordon Ottershaw is, however,their loyal fan,determined to prevent them from being disbanded after their final game. To this end he recruits the players from the renowned winning team of 1922 who turn up to defeat rivals Denley Moor.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Interesting Club Names on 11:17 - Sep 11 with 2352 viewsMrSheen

Some of the J League name choices are baffling, not just for their meaning but because they are so hard for Japanese people to say, eg Kashima Antlers, or Antorahzu.
Interesting Club Names on 11:48 - Sep 11 with 2274 viewsDannyPaddox

Interesting Club Names on 10:35 - Sep 11 by ted_hendrix

**Barnestoneworth United** is the worst football team of 1935,who lose every match. Gordon Ottershaw is, however,their loyal fan,determined to prevent them from being disbanded after their final game. To this end he recruits the players from the renowned winning team of 1922 who turn up to defeat rivals Denley Moor.

Meanwhile in t’real world “Barnoldswick Town” of the North West Counties League Premier Division, the 9th tier of English Football, have made the 2nd Round qualifying of the FA Cup for the first time in their history. To get there they’ve dispatched Brighouse, Northwich Victoria, and Lancaster City. All these ties went to replays which means in August and September Barnoldswick have been involved in more FA Cup ties (6) than QPR play in half a decade.

The unchartered waters of the 2nd Round qualifying has thrown up a tough one for Barnoldswick Town, an away trip to Curzon Ashton of the National League North. A team playing three tiers above them. If they achieve the incredible and win that they still have to get through two more rounds and then it’s the crazy dream land stuff of a possible FA Cup Proper Round One clash with local rivals Accrington, or a war of the roses with nearby Bradford or the almost unbelievable prospect of a Lancashire derby with former FA Cup winners Bolton Wanderers. Up t’Barlick!

Login to get fewer ads

Interesting Club Names on 12:48 - Sep 11 with 2135 viewsslmrstid

South America and Africa have some amazing football team names.

Club Atletico Douglas Haig in Argentina - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Club_Atl%C3%A9tico_Douglas_Haig

Named for the famous Butcher of the Somme.
Interesting Club Names on 12:51 - Sep 11 with 2131 viewsGaryHaddock

Queens Park Rangers (Grenada)

Interesting Club Names on 13:32 - Sep 11 with 2082 viewsguitarzan

Team in Eastern Europe called. Energetik Mary.
Interesting Club Names on 13:44 - Sep 11 with 2021 viewsDannyPaddox

Interesting Club Names on 13:32 - Sep 11 by guitarzan

Team in Eastern Europe called. Energetik Mary.

She drinks in the Shepherd & Flock
Interesting Club Names on 13:44 - Sep 11 with 2021 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Interesting Club Names on 12:51 - Sep 11 by GaryHaddock

Queens Park Rangers (Grenada)

Always wondered about them.
Does anyone here now anything about them or, even better, has anyone been to their ground? Nabbed a bite at Colleeen's Grill?

https://maps.app.goo.gl/r9MPSfLRxFvVoCmP8

https://maps.app.goo.gl/i29Ko9EZdJ7QoCCb9

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Interesting Club Names on 16:48 - Sep 11 with 1847 viewsEsox_Lucius

Gala Fairydean Rovers F.C. and Inverness Caledonian Thistle F.C

These are honestly not made up names.

The grass is always greener.

Interesting Club Names on 17:12 - Sep 11 with 1792 viewsR_from_afar

My favourite, from Malta. They played one game in the Europa League in 20/21:

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Interesting Club Names on 17:32 - Sep 11 with 1774 viewsBoston

Never crossed anyone's mind that 'Man City' sounds like a basement club in Berwick St?

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Interesting Club Names on 17:54 - Sep 11 with 1744 viewsGaryHaddock

This 'interesting' name caused quite the stir:

https://www.camdennewjournal.co.uk/article/toxic-culture-row-over-sunday-league-
[Post edited 11 Sep 17:55]
Interesting Club Names on 23:44 - Sep 11 with 1431 viewsDannyPaddox

The Armenian Premier League gives us this Vic & Bob ‘Shooting Stars’ inspired outfit …

The reserves are called Urartu 2 … straight up.
Interesting Club Names on 23:47 - Sep 11 with 1427 viewsQuillPenRiot

Interesting Club Names on 17:12 - Sep 11 by R_from_afar

My favourite, from Malta. They played one game in the Europa League in 20/21:

Many good points here:
1) best badge ofc
2) with ad astra per áspera shares a motto with both the Spanish Air Force and state of Kansas
https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Per_aspera_ad_astra
3) calls out all football clubs for what they are, sirens who lure us fans to suffering and perhaps death itself
[Post edited 11 Sep 23:51]
Interesting Club Names on 00:21 - Sep 12 with 1376 viewsBoston

Interesting Club Names on 23:47 - Sep 11 by QuillPenRiot

Many good points here:
1) best badge ofc
2) with ad astra per áspera shares a motto with both the Spanish Air Force and state of Kansas
https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Per_aspera_ad_astra
3) calls out all football clubs for what they are, sirens who lure us fans to suffering and perhaps death itself
[Post edited 11 Sep 23:51]

"Get yer tits out for the lads"...

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Interesting Club Names on 06:36 - Sep 12 with 1258 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

I always liked Colo Colo. The most successful club in Chile, named after a tribal chief who led the fight against Spanish invasion during the 17th century.

They were also one of the few South American clubs in Championship Manager in the 1990s.
Interesting Club Names on 07:41 - Sep 12 with 1185 viewsderbyhoop

Some guys I knew set up a Sunday League team called Wandering Anchors. Just to see how the local paper would abbreviate it in the local football results.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Interesting Club Names on 07:57 - Sep 12 with 1172 viewsEsox_Lucius

Interesting Club Names on 07:41 - Sep 12 by derbyhoop

Some guys I knew set up a Sunday League team called Wandering Anchors. Just to see how the local paper would abbreviate it in the local football results.

I once played a season in the Bisham Abbey summer league for Norfolk Enchants.

The grass is always greener.

Interesting Club Names on 08:16 - Sep 12 with 1147 viewsGaryHaddock

I always found these two Finnish teams amusing.

Interesting Club Names on 09:44 - Sep 12 with 1097 viewsSouthAfricanRanger

https://www.news24.com/news24/xarchive/sport/soccer/dangerous-darkies-are-back-2

Team in the South African league called “ Dangerous Darkies”. We also had/have Orlando Pirates, Kaizer Chiefs (who the band named themselves after cause they were Lucas Radebe’s club but changed the z in Kaizer to s), Chippa United, Moroka Swallows, Umtata Bushbucks, who all play/played in the top league.

DonnieR

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024