Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Daley Thompson 17:09 - Jul 17 with 6036 viewsnix

Anyone see this documentary?

It's fascinating to see the real person behind the tabloid persona.

Bloody amazing that he achieved what he did with all the issues that went against him. And just heartbreaking when he said his mother never went to watch him perform. You can see the sad little boy in his face.
Daley Thompson on 21:19 - Jul 17 with 2138 viewsnix

Daley Thompson on 20:10 - Jul 17 by LazyFan

Daley Thompson was very arrogant in the past, to the extent that he didn't even care if people said that about him. Worse, he said nasty things about other people just to let everyone know he thought he was better than them. He said stuff that was abusive and well out of order, and he did not care at the time. This was wrong.

However, he was the GOAT athlete ever. The decathlon is the top event, as it brings the other events together in the spirit of the Olympic Games.

He won back-to-back Gold medals and would have trebled them if not for injury. He was injured badly in the groin before his third Olympic Games, but he still competed. Then, he got injured again during the pole vault in the arm with a freak injury; despite that, he still came in fourth and only missed the bronze by a few points.

No doubt Daley Thompson is the greatest athlete who ever lived. Also, If I recall, he was so good. He was good enough to be 6th in the world speed-wise at the time for the 100m. Meaning he could have made the final for that in 84. I don't think this was mentioned in the doco.

No one comes close to Daley Thompson in athletics, and he inspired the generations after, which has since led them to inspire others. He was and still is the GOAT.

Watch the documentary if you haven't already and it might make you a bit more understanding of the guy. Not excusing some of the things he has said but putting it into context. Also if we only heard about the bad things we did or said I don't think any of us would sound very nice, I certainly wouldn't.

Even his biggest rival Hingsen clearly loves the guy, and Seb Coe, not the most humble of people, you can see has some (slightly grudging) respect and even affection for him. It was probably hard to be a trailblazer for black athletes and people like Deniece Lewis, Colin Jackson and Linford Christie all say they wouldn't have had their gold medal success were it not for Daley.

The only person who really doesn't seem to like him is the newspaper man who seems to be pissed off because he wouldn't always do interviews with them. You can understand why when so many of the stories about him in the past were slagging him off or intruding into his private life.
Daley Thompson on 21:42 - Jul 17 with 2072 viewsChrisNW6

Daley Thompson on 21:18 - Jul 17 by The_Beast1976

We're popping over to Paris to watch the Women's 800m final. Go get em Keely!!

I'm jealous as Keely is definitely my fav female sportswomen. I was lucky enough to be in Athens for Kelly Holmes first gold in the 1500m, brilliant night and I also ticked off the men's 100m final from my bucket list as well.

Love the Olympics with a passion.
Daley Thompson on 23:16 - Jul 17 with 1963 viewsW4Hoop

I remember listening to Daley Thompson decades ago on one of those retrospective radio programmes - might have been Desert Island Disks. The interviewer asked "you've been so successful, won so many medals, is there anything left that you would like to achieve?" Daley said "Yes - I'd like to be able to touch my toes". He was serious.
Daley Thompson on 23:23 - Jul 17 with 1955 viewsnix

Very jealous. Have a great time. Will be watching on TV.
Daley Thompson on 23:52 - Jul 17 with 1906 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Daley was such an icon for anyone growing up in the 80s, back when more sport was on free-to-air and the man in the street knew who was in the England cricket team. I remember staying up in my gran's house to watch him in the 84 Olympics, which as the documentary showed, was peak 80s in terms of scale and its Reaganite aesthetic. Yes, he did some stupid things (the Carl Lewis t-shirt was crass) but what a personality. You saw just how driven he was and what a legacy he left. Two gold medals in the toughest Olympic event and unbeaten for nine years! And yes, someone like Daley or the West Indies cricket team were definitely important role models for black Brits in the 80s, unparalleled through their athletic prowess and imperious majesty.
Daley Thompson on 08:21 - Jul 18 with 1782 viewsSuperhoops2808

Keely is the nearly girl of women's athletics, just like Dina Asher-Smith. I don't think they will win gold but I would love to be proven wrong.

For me, the ones to watch with an outside chance of medals are Mollie Caudery, Daryll Neita and I think Phoebe Gill will be the talk of this years games.
Daley Thompson on 19:28 - Jul 21 with 1501 viewsCamberleyR

Just watched it on Catch Up. Brilliant sports documentary which the BBC used to churn out with regularity. I'd forgotten how close he was to disaster in the discus in 1984.

Having seen Hingsen put a very good throw on the board to then pull out the throw he did on his third attempt after two extremely mediocre throws by his standards, under that sort of pressure, shows you the competitor he was.

That was the fatal blow to Hingsen who then crumbled in the pole vault in the next event. DT probably knew that the gold was his at that point even though they still had two events after the pole vault.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Daley Thompson on 21:03 - Jul 21 with 1421 viewsnix

Daley Thompson on 19:28 - Jul 21 by CamberleyR

Just watched it on Catch Up. Brilliant sports documentary which the BBC used to churn out with regularity. I'd forgotten how close he was to disaster in the discus in 1984.

Having seen Hingsen put a very good throw on the board to then pull out the throw he did on his third attempt after two extremely mediocre throws by his standards, under that sort of pressure, shows you the competitor he was.

That was the fatal blow to Hingsen who then crumbled in the pole vault in the next event. DT probably knew that the gold was his at that point even though they still had two events after the pole vault.

Yes, they really edited the Olympic footage brilliantly.

Glad you enjoyed.
Login to get fewer ads

Daley Thompson on 22:35 - Jul 21 with 1328 viewsChrisNW6

Daley Thompson on 08:21 - Jul 18 by Superhoops2808

Keely is the nearly girl of women's athletics, just like Dina Asher-Smith. I don't think they will win gold but I would love to be proven wrong.

For me, the ones to watch with an outside chance of medals are Mollie Caudery, Daryll Neita and I think Phoebe Gill will be the talk of this years games.

I think 22yr old Keely has moved to another level this season and will be extremely hard to beat. I think she will dominate for the next few years.
Daley Thompson on 22:56 - Jul 21 with 1305 viewshamptonhillhoop

Daley Thompson on 22:35 - Jul 21 by ChrisNW6

I think 22yr old Keely has moved to another level this season and will be extremely hard to beat. I think she will dominate for the next few years.

Watched her at the Diamond League yesterday. New British record, she was exceptional
Daley Thompson on 16:42 - Jul 22 with 1105 viewsnumptydumpty

Daley Thompson on 17:44 - Jul 17 by Hayesender

Watched it this afternoon, brilliant viewing. Thought that reporter (Colin Hart?) came across as a bit of a tit though

Yes agree

My view would have been parasite

Complaining with disgust about harmless jokes Daley made, after many years of dedication perfecting his craft. But the joke that Hart didn't get meant that world domination of his event was overlooked.

Think Colin Hart wrote for the Sun so clearly hit the heights of the literacy world.

Came across as grubby and vindicative.

Put him on the starting line against Daley and then interview the interviewer !!

Some people !!
[Post edited 22 Jul 16:44]

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

Daley Thompson on 18:10 - Jul 22 with 1039 viewsParkRoyalR

Fairly sure Daley grew up on the same estate (Lancaster West) in Latimer Road as Les Ferdinand,

Based on our recruitment bias in those days, not surprised he mentioned having trials at Chelsea but not the R's.
Daley Thompson on 20:12 - Jul 22 with 983 viewsnix

Daley Thompson on 18:10 - Jul 22 by ParkRoyalR

Fairly sure Daley grew up on the same estate (Lancaster West) in Latimer Road as Les Ferdinand,

Based on our recruitment bias in those days, not surprised he mentioned having trials at Chelsea but not the R's.

sorry downvoted by accident
Daley Thompson on 21:52 - Jul 22 with 918 viewsFearless

I worked on London 2012 and a guy who was/is heavily connected to the triathlon arranged a surprise for a few of us.
So, Daley Thompson turned up at Hyde Park a few weeks before the Olympic events and did an impromptu chat and Q&A

He was great, told some funny stories and was willing and happy to have plenty of side chats and 1-1 photos etc.

I met a few other gold medal holders who I wouldn’t be so complimentary about

Anyway, I felt privileged to have met Daley and he was great for the hour or so I saw him
Daley Thompson on 21:11 - Jul 26 with 558 viewsdigswellhoop

I did post the other day seems to be deleted if I'm wrong I'm sorry
Allways remember dayley saying he'd turned down sa many awards for best black sport person or the year amounts other as he wanted to be the best in the world what ever
Daley Thompson on 22:46 - Jul 26 with 478 viewsNorthantsHoop

Thought the documentary was good, what struck me was how focused Daley was to meeting his goals, remember how he stormed Moscow 1980 and Los Angeles 1984. I also liked the way he reflected on how now in later life what is important to him.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024