Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Jake Silverstein 10:53 - May 25 with 8458 viewsKeithHaynes

Your personal thoughts ?

Is he not the focal point for the future ? And pretty much a sensible head to steer the club ?

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Jake Silverstein on 23:27 - May 27 with 1946 viewsdobjack2

Jake Silverstein on 21:24 - May 27 by SullutaCreturned

The better teams have players capable of playing that way, we do not. It's that simple.

The teams that knock it long tend to have someone to win or challenge for a long ball out. As we don't have that what should we do.
Jake Silverstein on 10:22 - May 28 with 1822 viewsKeithHaynes

Jake Silverstein on 23:27 - May 27 by dobjack2

The teams that knock it long tend to have someone to win or challenge for a long ball out. As we don't have that what should we do.

Pass it !

Jake Silverstein on 10:57 - May 28 with 1779 viewsDr_Winston

Jake Silverstein on 16:31 - May 27 by ploppy

The "comedy goal kick routine" is here to stay, so you'd best get used to it. The goal kick rule was changed specifically to encourage this type of play. The better teams have embraced it. We should be aiming to do the same. It's not the 70s anymore.

Yes, because thinking that taking a two yard goal kick when opposing forwards are lined up on the edge of the area waiting to charge us down might be a tad risky automatically means I advocate launching it long every time.

As others have said, Man City might be able to get away with it. We can't.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Jake Silverstein on 11:07 - May 28 with 1780 viewsKeithHaynes

Jake Silverstein on 10:57 - May 28 by Dr_Winston

Yes, because thinking that taking a two yard goal kick when opposing forwards are lined up on the edge of the area waiting to charge us down might be a tad risky automatically means I advocate launching it long every time.

I think we did most of the time but of course recent memory isn’t good and cost us.

Jake Silverstein on 11:12 - May 28 with 1756 viewsWhiterockin

Jake Silverstein on 10:57 - May 28 by Dr_Winston

I'm not defending the tactic because it drove me nuts. But I would be interested if there was a stat to say how often we lost possession when taking a long goal kick. Personally I think it would be well over 50%.
Jake Silverstein on 11:13 - May 28 with 1756 viewsDr_Winston

Jake Silverstein on 11:07 - May 28 by KeithHaynes

I think we did most of the time but of course recent memory isn’t good and cost us.

"Most of the time" still leaves a lot of times where we didn't.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Jake Silverstein on 14:04 - May 28 with 1669 viewsBadlands

Jake Silverstein on 11:07 - May 28 by KeithHaynes

True.
Only conceded four goals from short passing from with pin the box.
At least ten from long goal kicks that gave away possession and allowed a direct attack pn goal.
A major problem we have is our midfield isn’t effective in arial challenges or collecting knock downs.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Jake Silverstein on 16:09 - May 28 with 1597 viewsKeithHaynes

Jake Silverstein on 14:04 - May 28 by Badlands

True.
At least ten from long goal kicks that gave away possession and allowed a direct attack pn goal.
A major problem we have is our midfield isn’t effective in arial challenges or collecting knock downs.

I’m going to say it again, if we retained a fit Steven Benda we would have made it.
I’m sure of that.

Login to get fewer ads

Jake Silverstein on 16:27 - May 28 with 1565 viewsDr_Winston

Benda got injured in late January. We'd been rubbish since November. Not a chance in hell him not getting injured would have made that much of a difference because it didn't before, better than Fisher though he may be.

Jake Silverstein on 16:35 - May 28 with 1561 viewsKeithHaynes

Jake Silverstein on 16:27 - May 28 by Dr_Winston

Benda got injured in late January. We'd been rubbish since November. Not a chance in hell him not getting injured would have made that much of a difference because it didn't before, better than Fisher though he may be.

Would he have let that stupid goal in at Millwall ? There’s three other errors that cost us games. We have to agree to disagree. Plus having got away with that error v WBA he went and did it again !

Jake Silverstein on 16:40 - May 28 with 1537 viewsDr_Winston

Jake Silverstein on 16:35 - May 28 by KeithHaynes

Would he have let that stupid goal in at Millwall ? There’s three other errors that cost us games. We have to agree to disagree. Plus having got away with that error v WBA he went and did it again !

Would he have conceded nine goals in ten games unbeaten?

I know it's the done thing to scapegoat certain people, but it was obvious that Fisher was suffering confidence issues because of the way Martin was sending the defence out to play. It was obvious then and I said so at the time.

Play a proper defensive four, cut out the stupid sh*t and Fisher was more than capable, as he amply demonstrated during the run in. I'd still have Benda as our #1 ahead of him, but there's only one person to blame for our failure to reach the playoffs and it isn't Andy Fisher.
[Post edited 28 May 2023 16:40]

Jake Silverstein on 17:03 - May 28 with 1485 viewsonehunglow

Neither is exactly a strong ,commanding figure for a goalkeeper.
It’s our priority for the new coach ,or at least it should be.

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Jake Silverstein on 18:50 - May 28 with 1428 viewsKeithHaynes

Jake Silverstein on 16:40 - May 28 by Dr_Winston

Would he have conceded nine goals in ten games unbeaten?

I know it's the done thing to scapegoat certain people, but it was obvious that Fisher was suffering confidence issues because of the way Martin was sending the defence out to play. It was obvious then and I said so at the time.

Play a proper defensive four, cut out the stupid sh*t and Fisher was more than capable, as he amply demonstrated during the run in. I'd still have Benda as our #1 ahead of him, but there's only one person to blame for our failure to reach the playoffs and it isn't Andy Fisher.
[Post edited 28 May 2023 16:40]

I’m not scapegoating him just citing facts that happened. Martin isn’t far away from criticism so why not ? The goal he let in at Millwall ( thru his legs ) and at Luton, that was awful, and there’s others would have meant we would have made the play offs.

If we are about nailing the manager for his mistakes then everyone is open to criticism.

Jake Silverstein on 18:52 - May 28 with 1415 viewsReslovenSwan1

Jake Silverstein on 17:03 - May 28 by onehunglow

Neither is exactly a strong ,commanding figure for a goalkeeper.
It’s our priority for the new coach ,or at least it should be.

Benda is 6f 4in and has good reflexes. He does however seem injury prone missing large chunks of two seasons which means Fisher will see action

I favour the on going developing of players with gradual improvement from coaching,

Margetson did not promote Benda to Cooper preferring to bring in Woodman on loan twice. (another of your favourites).

I believe Margetson told Woodman to stay on his line and leave crosses to his centre backs. This was a very clear demarcation of duties with few mix ups.

Woodman got a lot of clean sheets but also criticism from fans like you who wanted him to command the area more. He was called cowardly by some but this was probably unfair as he was operating to instructions.

Wise sage since Toshack era

Jake Silverstein on 10:27 - May 29 with 1182 viewsonehunglow

Jake Silverstein on 18:52 - May 28 by ReslovenSwan1

Benda is 6f 4in and has good reflexes. He does however seem injury prone missing large chunks of two seasons which means Fisher will see action

I favour the on going developing of players with gradual improvement from coaching,

Margetson did not promote Benda to Cooper preferring to bring in Woodman on loan twice. (another of your favourites).

I believe Margetson told Woodman to stay on his line and leave crosses to his centre backs. This was a very clear demarcation of duties with few mix ups.

Woodman got a lot of clean sheets but also criticism from fans like you who wanted him to command the area more. He was called cowardly by some but this was probably unfair as he was operating to instructions.

“ likes of me” …hmm.Not the best turn of phrase really.
Some pertinent points there though but I stand by what I say.
These matters should be addressed at training and footballers are not mute,neither are they shrinking violents.
Woodman was not unlike Fishy although better obviously.
Benda is not brilliant but he is more effective .

The likes of me tend to have little tolerance

Jake Silverstein on 11:58 - May 29 with 1140 viewsRichardO

Jake Silverstein on 14:04 - May 28 by Badlands

True.

Be very surprised about the "only conceded four goals bit" add to that the pressure created in our own third of the pitch and the goals that the opposition should have scored with more or less open goals would have increased our already awful goals against tally, most noteably conceding early in each half and just after we scored.
The tactic of playing the goal kick would seem a great idea to create space further up the park by drawing opposition players up the park but has to be done quickly and before the opposition is set up and not a two yard pass that means one pressing forward can pick off either the goal keeper or outfield player leaving them little time to take the right option, seems that people have forgotten the saying let the ball do the work, if the goal kick or pass is longer the press has to commit more players to cover the distant the ball travels so leaving more room.
Agree about the lack of aerial threat but if you create the space you can negate that need, usually the best aerial players use that skill to get the ball into players feet or space in open play.
Against PNE we upped the tempo and found space just behind the opposition midfield and in front of their defence running them ragged, second half they closed us down much better in all areas of the park but left themselves exposed to the counter attack given the front line that we ended up with.
Jake Silverstein on 13:26 - May 29 with 1093 viewsBadlands

Jake Silverstein on 16:09 - May 28 by KeithHaynes

I’m going to say it again, if we retained a fit Steven Benda we would have made it.
I’m sure of that.

If we'd changed manger in November we'd have at least made the play a ffs.

Jake Silverstein on 14:19 - May 29 with 1037 viewsploppy

Jake Silverstein on 13:26 - May 29 by Badlands

If we'd changed manger in November we'd have at least made the play a ffs.

You seem very sure. How do you know this?

Do you have the winning lottery numbers for Saturday please?
Jake Silverstein on 16:21 - May 29 with 958 viewsonehunglow

Jake Silverstein on 14:19 - May 29 by ploppy

Probably as sure as those who believed the process was improving players

Jake Silverstein on 18:53 - May 29 with 889 viewsBadlands

Jake Silverstein on 14:19 - May 29 by ploppy

No more so than knowing a fit Benda would have resulted in the same.
But, you carry on being selective in your sarcasm.

Jake Silverstein on 20:35 - May 29 with 815 viewsploppy

Jake Silverstein on 18:53 - May 29 by Badlands

No more so than knowing a fit Benda would have resulted in the same.
But, you carry on being selective in your sarcasm.

They're both worthless assertions though aren't they. There's no way of knowing either way.

Anyway, I loves a bit of sarcasm, me.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024