Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Marti Cifuentes 17:14 - Dec 3 with 108845 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Nah me neither.

I’m about to listen to this podcast though. Non Swedish part starts 55 seconds in:

https://t.co/5DqLhBP4vL
[Post edited 3 Dec 2022 17:16]
Marti Cifuentes on 00:07 - Oct 31 with 3103 viewsbrad

no no no,,,,,,,,,,,after 50 years supporting this club.....where are we going.......
Marti Cifuentes on 00:17 - Oct 31 with 3041 viewsBoston

Welcome to W12 Marti

Sorry mate what was that?

Scotland, nah

Rangers are in London.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Marti Cifuentes on 00:18 - Oct 31 with 3048 viewsCopenhagenRs

Interesting appointment. No doubt that Cifuentes is a very ambitious coach and also he is no rookie by now. The playing style will change for sure and wiser tactical decisions will be made. But to sort us out in the short run for the championship relegation battle we are in is making me doubtful. That will take quite some time that I am not sure that we have. I would also have put my money on Warnock for that job here and now. But lets give Cifuentes a chance. He had mixed starts for recent clubs - among those AaB in Denmark (that by the way is the club that Ramkilde is from), who got relegated and went into misery after he left them. They bought the players he asked for to suit his playing style but then suddenly he Bealed off to Hammerby and left them with squad that the following managers could not get any tune out of. I really hope that his contract includes a fat release clause if he get succesful at QPR and Beales off to Wolves, Rangers or who ever offer him to fulfill his ambitions on a higher stage.
Thomas Frank also had a tough start at Brentford and lost quite a few matches but they held on to him and once he got the team to play his way results started to come. But that took quite some time. So I guess that patience will be needed for Cifuentes to turn QPR around and some bad results will be part of the equation - maybe even against Rotherham on Saturday. But in the long run I believe that he could be a great manager for the finest football team the world has ever seen. URrrrrss!
[Post edited 31 Oct 2023 0:19]
Marti Cifuentes on 00:23 - Oct 31 with 3010 viewscharmr

Sick to death about hearing about Warnock.

Too much I told you so of late on here lately. All I thought about GA was that he wasn’t really a student or thinker of the game. That football he dished up really was pub standard fare. Watch the training videos, it was so basic.

Genuine intrigued by this appointment and seems like at least we have a football person back at the helm. My interest in our team has been rekindled.

Does not distract however from how the club is being run or run down and the player power going on behind the scenes.
[Post edited 31 Oct 2023 0:36]
Marti Cifuentes on 00:51 - Oct 31 with 2937 viewsjohnhoop

Marti Cifuentes on 22:57 - Oct 30 by ridethewave

I don’t think many have made that assumption. What they’re saying is, can you name a single manager in Championship history who has led more grotesquely poor teams to safe finishes than Warnock? He may not have kept us up, but he sure would have given us a chance.

This exactly. I hope that Cifuentes works out well for us and is successful in helping us avoid relegation. But when we had the opportunity of appointing a manager who has repeatedly kept up sides that looked even more doomed to relegation than we are now and then passed it up I just hope it isn’t something we’re going to have a long time to regret in the coming months.
Marti Cifuentes on 01:11 - Oct 31 with 2901 viewsCiderwithRsie

Marti Cifuentes on 22:49 - Oct 30 by BazzaInTheLoft

We need to stop assuming Warnock would have kept us up.

I’m behind this lad. Let’s see where we go, starting with Rotherham.

Clive has just written a whole article on how Ainsworth was the wrong choice but appointed to keep the fans happy.

Does no-one here have the teeniest suspicion that bringing back Warnock might just have fallen into the same category?

We never should have sacked him, but that was 12 years ago.

Francis, Waddock, John Gregory, Holloway, Ainsworth; just for once, I'm glad that a club legend hasn't been asked to put their legacy on the line to get the club out of a hole they never put us into.
Marti Cifuentes on 01:44 - Oct 31 with 2845 viewsNov77

I feel pretty certain Warnock would have kept us up.

Seems like a gamble. I know nothing about the new guy, he needs to be a bit of a miracle worker to get a tune out of what we’ve got.

Gut instinct says we’ll be looking back and saying “could have had Warnock”. Hope I’m wrong.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Marti Cifuentes on 01:47 - Oct 31 with 2814 viewsstainrods_elbow

Marti Cifuentes on 20:47 - Oct 30 by connell10

Hoos is full of crap.

Right, and you may also have heard that the odd bear defaecates in woodland.

Poll: How many points will we manage from our first 5 games with this squad?

Login to get fewer ads

Marti Cifuentes on 02:41 - Oct 31 with 2746 viewssmudgehoop

Good luck to Marti. I think the players and fans will respond well to him. At least it will make the rest of season interesting. I reckon he'll be Paulo Sauso Mk II.
[Post edited 31 Oct 2023 2:41]

Marti Cifuentes on 02:52 - Oct 31 with 2736 viewsjohnhoop

Marti Cifuentes on 01:44 - Oct 31 by Nov77

I feel pretty certain Warnock would have kept us up.

Seems like a gamble. I know nothing about the new guy, he needs to be a bit of a miracle worker to get a tune out of what we’ve got.

Gut instinct says we’ll be looking back and saying “could have had Warnock”. Hope I’m wrong.

Same here. If we weren’t as deep in the brown stuff as we are this season I think I’d feel pretty enthusiastic about the new appointment as it would be great to have someone who might be able to get the players we’ve got playing actual football. But given the fact we’re plummeting towards League One at a rate of knots I’d have gone for the person who I thought had the best chance of keeping us in the Championship.
Marti Cifuentes on 03:10 - Oct 31 with 2695 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Marti Cifuentes on 21:05 - Oct 30 by bosh67

Surely whatever happens this guy must be given some time, even if we don't stay up to dismantle what's here and actually build a proper team?

Judging by the 'Getting to know' article on the official site I suspect that the board, whilst primarily targeting survival, have considered the possibility of rebuilding in league 1.

"Cifuentes was named head coach of Norwegian top-flight side Sandefjord in the summer of 2018, taking over a side who had amassed only five points from their opening 12 games. Under Cifuentes, they lost just six of their 18 remaining games but were unable to avoid relegation to the second tier. Cifuentes regrouped his side, leading them to promotion in his first full season at the helm in 2019."
Marti Cifuentes on 04:03 - Oct 31 with 2626 viewsNorthantsHoop

Marti Cifuentes on 03:10 - Oct 31 by Benny_the_Ball

Judging by the 'Getting to know' article on the official site I suspect that the board, whilst primarily targeting survival, have considered the possibility of rebuilding in league 1.

"Cifuentes was named head coach of Norwegian top-flight side Sandefjord in the summer of 2018, taking over a side who had amassed only five points from their opening 12 games. Under Cifuentes, they lost just six of their 18 remaining games but were unable to avoid relegation to the second tier. Cifuentes regrouped his side, leading them to promotion in his first full season at the helm in 2019."

It was obvious regardless of how we feel about the players their ability or attitude etc.that both Critchley and Ainsworth were a lost cause. Our stock has fallen so low that if Cifuentes can actually get them to pass to each other and bang a few goals in down at the Loft End then that will be progress. This could be an exciting appointment, shame we let Johansen go as he probably would have been the type of central midfielder that could have linked it all together. Wonder if the new manager will employ Chair in a more central midfield role and get him more as a playmaker.
Marti Cifuentes on 04:27 - Oct 31 with 2597 viewsThird_Division_South

Cifuentes oh oh
Cifuentes oh oh oh
He came from Espana
To keep the R’s up

Handily, we can change the last line to

To take the R’s up

from whatever division we’re in next season
Marti Cifuentes on 07:31 - Oct 31 with 2237 viewsChrisNW6

Wanted Warnock as a quick fix but it was still highly likely we would still get relegated. The odds of staying up will be higher under Cifuentes but longer term getting him in now and getting us playing a more progressive style of play will give us a far better chance of getting back into the Championship.

You never know, he might keep us up this season which would be an amazing outcome.
Marti Cifuentes on 07:33 - Oct 31 with 2231 viewsGloucs_R

I'm really hopeful he can develop some of the youngsters. I know we all mention Sinclair, who really does need to take his chances, but I really like the look of Kolli and it'll be interesting to see how he progresses with the ball at his feet rather than expecting him to win headers against 6'4 championship defenders.

I made a comment about 433 yesterday and not having the squad.

As a front 3 (on paper)... It looks good...Dykes / Sinclair with Chair, Willock, Kolli, Smyth and Richards.

Middle 3....Colback, Field, Dozzell, EDB and DM. That's a problem.

Defence... Cannon and Paal are decent enough at this level (basing Cannon on one game mind). The central defender should have enough experience to hold their own in this league. JCS the only one who stands our at being comfortable on the ball, when he's not on the physio table.

Poll: Are we staying up?

Marti Cifuentes on 07:42 - Oct 31 with 2185 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Marti Cifuentes on 21:46 - Oct 30 by hubble

He's obviously a competent manager. He's clearly light years ahead of Frank Gallagher in terms of intelligence, tactics and... dress sense. It's not going to be easy, but then it wasn't going to be easy for anyone.

So welcome Marti, to the coolest club in the coolest city in the world. We've got a shabby little stadium and a bunch of second-rate pricks for players, but WHAT an opportunity to make a real name for yourself! I wish you all the very best and I am excited!

How the hell have we got to two days after GA's sacking, and not one of us had spotted the Frank Gallagher look. Utterly shameless of us!

Apologies if someone else commented first but if not...

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Marti Cifuentes on 08:12 - Oct 31 with 2052 viewsQPunkR

QPR - "shit but local"

Marti Cifuentes on 08:25 - Oct 31 with 2006 viewstraininvain

Can’t help but think that we’ve ended up with Cifuentes because Amit didn’t fancy scratching another itch with Warnock so soon after his disastrous itch scratch with Ainsworth.

It’s a more forward thinking appointment but can we afford to do this in our predicament. Hopefully it means the owners are committed to the club beyond this season.
Marti Cifuentes on 08:44 - Oct 31 with 1928 viewsconnell10

i keep reading his name as Martin Clunes

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Marti Cifuentes on 08:45 - Oct 31 with 1921 viewsQPunkR

Marti Cifuentes on 22:47 - Oct 30 by Hayesender

Here's what a QPR fan who moved to Sweden a few years ago and now also follows Hammerby has had to say.

Phone has been pinging like mad in past hour or so. Here's my reply.

Cifuentes- what are we are likely to see.

Have been a season ticket holder at Hammarby for two seasons which is nearly exactly the same time Cifuentes was a Hammarby.

Firstly Cifuentes likes to have his teams playing tiki-taka football. Playing and passing almost quite literally from own goal line. Expect many scary moments as you see our 36 year old goalkeeper trying to play sweeper

The announcement of him coming to QPR comes literally 30 minutes after Hammarby drew 2-2 at home to lowly Sirius. Sirius' two goals scored in the 91st and 94th minute.
Something also QPR fans may have to get accustomed to, holding on to a lead and not putting the game to bed by going for, in this example, a 3rd goal.

Playing possession football exact OPPOSITE to Ainsworth.

A lot of the ball going backwards when you're crying out for it go forwards, but then that through ball pass that makes you realise why it was taking so long to pass the bloody thing....

Can it work in the Championship? With the correct type of players, yes

He prefers to play 4-3-3 or 4-3-2-1 formations. Though this mid season (Swedish season finishes in two weeks time) he changed to a successful 3-5-1-1, but in past two weeks gone back to 4-3-3.

Willock, and especially Chair, will certainly like playing for him. They'll be deployed behind a solid centre forward/target man, in QPR's case Dykes or Armstrong. But not target man in the sense of let's boot high to him and see what he can do with it, it'll be 95% of the time to him on the ground.

He is very methodical. Gets his players so well drilled, they know exactly where they are expected to be on the pitch, know where each player will be when a pass is made. This may sound like common sense, but only when seeing it in action you sometimes see players playing a pass like they were blindfolded knowing that the pass will reach its intended target.

Very quick counter attacking too from opposing teams corners for example.

He gladly will play youth over experience, if the youth is good enough and adapts to his style of football that is. Can he transform our current crop of youngsters?

Before this evening's game I was asked quite a few times by Hammarby supporters what I thought. I said I would be happy to see him to go to QPR but ONLY if he was given time. QPR don't have that much time, or do we?
Will the players respond quickly to someone who actually wants to play tiki-taka football, will the adapt to his ideas quickly enough?

I hope he realises what he's put himself into here. I spoke to him at the end of May, I think it was, at an open training session. I asked him how close he was to being our manager before QPR went for Ainsworth, as he'd been interviewed for the job back then.
He said very close but Hammarby refused him to leave. As the season is coming to an end here and Hammarby have nothing to play for after a poor run of results by their standards, maybe Hammarby decided to let him move on with the thought a new manager will have a whole post and pre season to prepare for by March next year.

This is potential awful debut in the English league, with feck all spending money. This, though, could also be just what QPR need after a very unsuccessful run of a British style of management.

Que sera sera.

Thanks for this.

Sounds really positive (albeit a bit of a risk given where we are right now). I like the sound of this guy in the same mould as Gigi De Canio. Under him, with Akos a world beater, that was some of the best football we've played for years and years - but as I recall, the players were bored to death of training. It sounded the same as Martí's approach - methodical and banging it into everyone's head exactly where they should be on the pitch at any given moment. For us as fans it lead to breathtaking football on the Saturday, but the other days of the week in training were trying on the poor delicate petals (or players, if you will)

QPR - "shit but local"

Marti Cifuentes on 08:48 - Oct 31 with 1898 viewsMalintabuk

Beenoff the grid yesterday and logged on and well... blow me down we have actually.....well on paper at least..... made a bold move
I was convinced that we would have gone for the same old warhorse, the Warnocks etc..... but quite pleased with this appointment
Last year I believe we tried to get him after Beale slithered off and I'm guessing the compo for him was not reasonable.
This new Matrade looks like it is going to add a little something to the coffers and we might have a little wriggle room in January
The lad as got what 35 games to basically save us from relegation and no matter what we feel.... this time last year we were flying, so there must be something there to play with.
Surely law of averages dictates that even us will make the right choice, let's hope it isthisone
Good luck son, and welcome to the mad House, you don't have to be crazy to work here..... but it helps
Marti Cifuentes on 08:55 - Oct 31 with 1865 viewsQPunkR

The real question is, will you be able to turn Dykes from a donkey into a Great Scotstralian, Martí?

QPR - "shit but local"

(No subject) (n/t) on 08:58 - Oct 31 with 1849 viewsflynnbo

Marti Cifuentes on 04:27 - Oct 31 by Third_Division_South

Cifuentes oh oh
Cifuentes oh oh oh
He came from Espana
To keep the R’s up

To take the R’s up

He came from Hammarby
Preferred the White City
[Post edited 31 Oct 2023 9:52]
Marti Cifuentes on 09:15 - Oct 31 with 1757 viewshook_hoops

Marti Cifuentes on 04:27 - Oct 31 by Third_Division_South

Cifuentes oh oh
Cifuentes oh oh oh
He came from Espana
To keep the R’s up

To take the R’s up

How about this one, though it might take us a while to learn the words!
Marti Cifuentes on 09:17 - Oct 31 with 1736 viewsBuckR

Marti Cifuentes on 02:41 - Oct 31 by smudgehoop

Good luck to Marti. I think the players and fans will respond well to him. At least it will make the rest of season interesting. I reckon he'll be Paulo Sauso Mk II.
[Post edited 31 Oct 2023 2:41]

I bloody hope not! Never been so bored in my life then watching his team play!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024