Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
World Cup of Shame 12:36 - Nov 4 with 15372 viewskensalriser

Anyone joined up to be a temporary member of Qatar's Stasi for the World Cup?

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/nov/04/england-and-wales-fans-being-pa

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

World Cup of Shame on 10:45 - Nov 7 with 2594 viewsBrianMcCarthy

World Cup of Shame on 10:35 - Nov 7 by robith

I am going to boycott it Brian, precisely because I failed to do so previously

I felt quite strongly more of a noise should've been made about Russia, which was illegally occupying Crimea, imprisoning journalists and committing an organised campaign of violence against LGBTQI+ people especially.

But then it was 30 degrees every day, England did well, didn't we have fun? Every who went praised how well organised it was. Memes for days, top bants.

And now look where we are.

So I don't turn my back on this world cup in isolation because it is uniquely awful - although there is a far greater connection of the awfulness to the event itself - but it's because it's a tipping point, the culmination of everything that's come before

Good post, Robith.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

World Cup of Shame on 11:47 - Nov 7 with 2501 viewsdaveB

World Cup of Shame on 10:35 - Nov 7 by robith

I am going to boycott it Brian, precisely because I failed to do so previously

I felt quite strongly more of a noise should've been made about Russia, which was illegally occupying Crimea, imprisoning journalists and committing an organised campaign of violence against LGBTQI+ people especially.

But then it was 30 degrees every day, England did well, didn't we have fun? Every who went praised how well organised it was. Memes for days, top bants.

And now look where we are.

So I don't turn my back on this world cup in isolation because it is uniquely awful - although there is a far greater connection of the awfulness to the event itself - but it's because it's a tipping point, the culmination of everything that's come before

I don't disagree with you especially on Russia and whilst I think you won't be alone in not watching and you are certainly not wrong to take that stance I'm not sure what difference it will make if we boycott it or not. I was never going to go anyway so whether I watch it on tv or not I don't think will have much of an impact, it'll be happening regardless. Any stand shuld have been made by international teams years ago. Wearing a rainbow armband, removing a sponsor or doing some kind of gesture before the game is all too litle too late now.

It all feels like when players take the knee before a game, in essence I think it's a noble thing to do to try and make a difference but we all know it doesn't change a thing. I feel a bit uncomfortbale with it all trying to impose our values and belifes on another country and if they don't agree walking away.
World Cup of Shame on 12:43 - Nov 7 with 2428 viewsrobith

World Cup of Shame on 11:47 - Nov 7 by daveB

I don't disagree with you especially on Russia and whilst I think you won't be alone in not watching and you are certainly not wrong to take that stance I'm not sure what difference it will make if we boycott it or not. I was never going to go anyway so whether I watch it on tv or not I don't think will have much of an impact, it'll be happening regardless. Any stand shuld have been made by international teams years ago. Wearing a rainbow armband, removing a sponsor or doing some kind of gesture before the game is all too litle too late now.

It all feels like when players take the knee before a game, in essence I think it's a noble thing to do to try and make a difference but we all know it doesn't change a thing. I feel a bit uncomfortbale with it all trying to impose our values and belifes on another country and if they don't agree walking away.

It is natural to feel overwhelmed when faced with issues like this. What can I, a total schmuck, effect in the face of FIFA, Coca Cola etc? And it will be happening anyway.

And perhaps there's an element of vanity, of what one's own personal morals are prepared to accept.

But I don't think turning a blind eye to thousands of migrant workers having their passport detained, forced to work in conditions where thousands of them died - or where the police allegedly use apps to lure gay men to hotel rooms where they rape them before arresting them is "imposing our beliefs". Those are simply right and wrong. Likewise the actions of Putin's government that we acquiesced in last time out

History shows us, actions, no matter how small or disparate can effect change. It may not be right now, but they become a groundswell. Personally I have to believe we can make the world a better place or I'd dash myself out a window tbh.

I've always liked the words of the late Scott Hutchinson "While I'm alive, I'll make tiny changes to the earth". Something being difficult , or hard or complicated to change should not deter us from trying to effect change. Personally I believe it should double our resolve to do so
World Cup of Shame on 13:10 - Nov 7 with 2373 viewsdaveB

World Cup of Shame on 12:43 - Nov 7 by robith

It is natural to feel overwhelmed when faced with issues like this. What can I, a total schmuck, effect in the face of FIFA, Coca Cola etc? And it will be happening anyway.

And perhaps there's an element of vanity, of what one's own personal morals are prepared to accept.

But I don't think turning a blind eye to thousands of migrant workers having their passport detained, forced to work in conditions where thousands of them died - or where the police allegedly use apps to lure gay men to hotel rooms where they rape them before arresting them is "imposing our beliefs". Those are simply right and wrong. Likewise the actions of Putin's government that we acquiesced in last time out

History shows us, actions, no matter how small or disparate can effect change. It may not be right now, but they become a groundswell. Personally I have to believe we can make the world a better place or I'd dash myself out a window tbh.

I've always liked the words of the late Scott Hutchinson "While I'm alive, I'll make tiny changes to the earth". Something being difficult , or hard or complicated to change should not deter us from trying to effect change. Personally I believe it should double our resolve to do so

I'm not sure anyone is turning a blind eye to it if they watch the tournament, I doubt a lot of these stories would be getting out if the World Cup wasn't happening and whilst this is going on a huge light is being shone on that country so these big issues are going to be raised and looked into. I very much doubt any of this stuff would be reported around the world without the football going on over there.

It's a tough one, I watched the Newcastle game yesterday, well until they got the 3rd, that doesn't mean I think the things going on in Saudi Arabia are fine same as if I watch every game in the world cup it doesn't mean I agree with whats happened in Qatar, I'm a simple bloke and just want to watch a game of football.

Hats off to anyone who makes a stand over this, i don't have the will power to join you. I'm frustrated that more wasn't done 12 years ago to ensure this world cup didn't happen, we're at a stage now where it all feels far too late.
World Cup of Shame on 13:43 - Nov 7 with 2335 viewstraininvain

World Cup of Shame on 11:47 - Nov 7 by daveB

Dave and Robith, some good points and can’t disagree for the most part. It’s depressing as the World Cup should bring people together but this one seems to be having the opposite effect.

One point worth noting re the current backlash is that 15,000 migrant workers hadn’t died building the stadiums when the World Cup was awarded to Qatar 12 years ago. This was one of the key points in the Bundesliga protests over the weekend.

That’s not to say that more couldn’t have been done when the World Cup was given to Qatar as the human rights situation hasn’t emerged overnight. But I can see why it’s more under the spotlight now as the World Cup is days away and we can count the human life cost to make it all happen.
World Cup of Shame on 14:14 - Nov 7 with 2296 viewsPlanetHonneywood

World Cup of Shame on 13:43 - Nov 7 by traininvain

Dave and Robith, some good points and can’t disagree for the most part. It’s depressing as the World Cup should bring people together but this one seems to be having the opposite effect.

One point worth noting re the current backlash is that 15,000 migrant workers hadn’t died building the stadiums when the World Cup was awarded to Qatar 12 years ago. This was one of the key points in the Bundesliga protests over the weekend.

That’s not to say that more couldn’t have been done when the World Cup was given to Qatar as the human rights situation hasn’t emerged overnight. But I can see why it’s more under the spotlight now as the World Cup is days away and we can count the human life cost to make it all happen.

About a year ago I posted something here that the Doha WC had shone a light on the plight of migrant workers in Qatar, and that it was a good thing.

However, in my view then as of now, if anyone is dumb enough to think that it's only in Qatar that migrant workers are being treated badly, then they need to wake up. Migrant workers are being taken advantage of globally and that is likely to be happening around the corner from wherever you're reading this!

Secondly, there is also a convenient absence in the debate about why there are so many people 'forced' into moving overseas. Ive spent most of my working life abroad, but that was a choice however, for a variety of factors in their home countries not least of which are: corruption, abuses, and a decidedly poor approach to workers rights in sending countries, many people have to move abroad to provide for themselves and their families. Hence why its a breeding ground for exploitation.

And here's the best bit...People still end up paying top money for items that are produced cheaper and with lower labour costs.

The inherent problem is a global race to the bottom. If I cannot outsource the job to some impoverished part of the world where laws and enforcement are at best slack, then can I bring in workers who'll do it for less money.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

World Cup of Shame on 14:33 - Nov 7 with 2257 viewstraininvain

World Cup of Shame on 14:14 - Nov 7 by PlanetHonneywood

About a year ago I posted something here that the Doha WC had shone a light on the plight of migrant workers in Qatar, and that it was a good thing.

However, in my view then as of now, if anyone is dumb enough to think that it's only in Qatar that migrant workers are being treated badly, then they need to wake up. Migrant workers are being taken advantage of globally and that is likely to be happening around the corner from wherever you're reading this!

Secondly, there is also a convenient absence in the debate about why there are so many people 'forced' into moving overseas. Ive spent most of my working life abroad, but that was a choice however, for a variety of factors in their home countries not least of which are: corruption, abuses, and a decidedly poor approach to workers rights in sending countries, many people have to move abroad to provide for themselves and their families. Hence why its a breeding ground for exploitation.

And here's the best bit...People still end up paying top money for items that are produced cheaper and with lower labour costs.

The inherent problem is a global race to the bottom. If I cannot outsource the job to some impoverished part of the world where laws and enforcement are at best slack, then can I bring in workers who'll do it for less money.

All valid points and I doubt anyone on here would disagree that migrant workers are being taken advantage of globally. The reason that Doha is under the microscope is of course because the World Cup is taking place in Qatar and the stadiums have been built at the expense of thousands of migrant workers lives.

I agree that it’s definitely part of a bigger global issue and hopefully the current mood will be a driver for change not just in Qatar. It would be a good start if the biggest sport in the world could avoid holding tournaments in countries with such questionable human rights records.
World Cup of Shame on 14:40 - Nov 7 with 2251 viewsdmm

World Cup of Shame on 14:14 - Nov 7 by PlanetHonneywood

So true, John. The context in which we can place what's happened in Qatar highlight the desperate powerlessness and vulnerability of the global poor.

The 'West' has dominated global trade for centuries and in such a way as to enrich themselves while impoverishing the 'South'. In more recent decades the 'West' has forced the 'South' into unpayable debt, taken their resources without paying in-country taxes, and stood by as those same countries suffer the effects of a changing climate the 'West' has caused but to which they've contributed very little.

And, as we see in Qatar and elsewhere, when the poor try to earn money for their families back home by working elsewhere they get abused and killed.

This, my friends, is the product of capitalism.
Login to get fewer ads

World Cup of Shame on 14:45 - Nov 7 with 2238 viewsPlanetHonneywood

World Cup of Shame on 14:33 - Nov 7 by traininvain

All valid points and I doubt anyone on here would disagree that migrant workers are being taken advantage of globally. The reason that Doha is under the microscope is of course because the World Cup is taking place in Qatar and the stadiums have been built at the expense of thousands of migrant workers lives.

I agree that it’s definitely part of a bigger global issue and hopefully the current mood will be a driver for change not just in Qatar. It would be a good start if the biggest sport in the world could avoid holding tournaments in countries with such questionable human rights records.

Not sure people really do know about the plight of migrant workers or the what the working conditions are like where our are made in far off lands. But if people do, then it all brings it foursquare back to where the root of the Doha WC (and Russia) problems lay: FIFA!

I've been able to share some of the progress made in Qatar, and to be fair, football has been the driver for this. But once the WC packs up and goes home, I suspect the noise around Qatar will reduce somewhat.

World Cup of Shame on 15:46 - Nov 7 with 2208 viewskensalriser

World Cup of Shame on 14:40 - Nov 7 by dmm

So true, John. The context in which we can place what's happened in Qatar highlight the desperate powerlessness and vulnerability of the global poor.

The 'West' has dominated global trade for centuries and in such a way as to enrich themselves while impoverishing the 'South'. In more recent decades the 'West' has forced the 'South' into unpayable debt, taken their resources without paying in-country taxes, and stood by as those same countries suffer the effects of a changing climate the 'West' has caused but to which they've contributed very little.

And, as we see in Qatar and elsewhere, when the poor try to earn money for their families back home by working elsewhere they get abused and killed.

It's not just the West now, cf China's activities in Africa and elsewhere (notably Sri Lanka).

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

World Cup of Shame on 17:01 - Nov 7 with 2146 viewsessextaxiboy

World Cup of Shame on 14:45 - Nov 7 by PlanetHonneywood

Not sure people really do know about the plight of migrant workers or the what the working conditions are like where our are made in far off lands. But if people do, then it all brings it foursquare back to where the root of the Doha WC (and Russia) problems lay: FIFA!

I've been able to share some of the progress made in Qatar, and to be fair, football has been the driver for this. But once the WC packs up and goes home, I suspect the noise around Qatar will reduce somewhat.

This is last World Cup awarded by the Blatter regime. The culture within is slowly changing .
World Cup of Shame on 19:30 - Nov 7 with 2024 viewsPunteR

World Cup of Shame on 14:40 - Nov 7 by dmm

Is 15000 migrant workers dying on a construction site a product of capitalism or just bad health and safety standards.? Poor management and a lack basic building knowledge. ? Seems quite a broad statement to make. You can have migrant workers on cheap labour working on a contruction site without killing them.
I do work alongside cheap migrant workers from time to time and there is a challenge sometimes to keep them from killing themselves and others. But it is doable.
I mean 15000 deaths is a shambles and of course tragic.
[Post edited 7 Nov 2022 19:32]

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

World Cup of Shame on 20:46 - Nov 7 with 1966 viewsdmm

World Cup of Shame on 19:30 - Nov 7 by PunteR

Is 15000 migrant workers dying on a construction site a product of capitalism or just bad health and safety standards.? Poor management and a lack basic building knowledge. ? Seems quite a broad statement to make. You can have migrant workers on cheap labour working on a contruction site without killing them.
I do work alongside cheap migrant workers from time to time and there is a challenge sometimes to keep them from killing themselves and others. But it is doable.

Yes, of course you can have migrant workers on cheap labour working on a construction site without killing them. But step back a moment and ask why those workers have had to leave their families, communities and countries to find work?

The answer in so many cases is their own countries' economies are too impoverished to provide employment. Conflict and wars, national disasters, and corruption all play a part but so often capitalism is the root cause. And migration is on the increase due to climate change which itself is a product of capitalism.
World Cup of Shame on 22:32 - Nov 7 with 1876 viewsMiss_Terraces

World Cup of Shame on 17:01 - Nov 7 by essextaxiboy

This is last World Cup awarded by the Blatter regime. The culture within is slowly changing .

Gianni to me doesn't seem any better than his predecessor. There are decent people who work for that organisation but not at the top.

Poll: Why are you a QPR supporter?

World Cup of Shame on 08:46 - Nov 8 with 1738 viewsQPR_Jim

I assume that by ignoring those things (H&S standards, proper training, etc) someone is saving money somewhere. But then Qatar don't strike me as a poor country, so presumably they could afford to pay contractors more and force them to follow stricter guidelines so I can only assume that they either don't care or they don't think the lives are important enough to pay extra.

Either way this whole thing could have been avoided by giving the WC to a country that had better infrastructure in place to begin with, they both didn't have the stadiums and don't need them either, so why give it to them?

I think the assumption at FIFA is that they could put the WC on the moon and people would still want to go and watch on TV so sponsors don't care where it is and therefore FIFA have free rein to do what they want. I was never going to go but I'm also not going to watch on TV or buy any products with the WC logo on it in the hope that others doing likewise will at least make it less profitable for the sponsors, as they are the only ones I reckon FIFA will listen to if we want to avoid a repeat. Wish I'd done the same for Russia too in retrospect.
World Cup of Shame on 08:54 - Nov 8 with 1727 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Out of interest, where has the 15,000 figure come from?

I recall the figure doing the rounds for a long time was 6,500. However, this 'only' included workers from South Asia (India, Pakistan, Nepal, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka) and not elsewhere - and Qatari building sites are full of African and Filipino workers.

As you state and I have previously said,many procedures and systems were somewhat nascent in a young country. They have improved certainly and 'thankfully' the last recorded figure generated by the UN for 2021, saw the number of fatalities reduce to 50 deaths for that year.

Of course, just one death is one too many, but while Qatari H&S are to be held to account - and there have been huge improvements to it over the years - there is also another factor here that should not be overlooked: the construction companies should also have known and done way better from the start!

Wembley as you (may) know was built by an Aussie company, and not surprisingly, many of the Doha WC stadiums unless I am mistaken, were designed, built etc. by foreign companies. Companies, who, in their own countries, would have been subject to strict building/H&S regulations. They could have ensured such standards were applied on their sites from the start, but especially when deaths/injuries were mounting early on in the preparations.

However, these things were not done. Ultimately, it is for Qatar to remedy and stand to account for the actions, but we should not forget that foreign contractors employed to deliver the huge capital build projects also have a role to play in this in terms of their culpability and their duty to remedy...after all, some of them have made plenty cash!

World Cup of Shame on 11:55 - Nov 8 with 1607 viewsessextaxiboy

I think 15k is the total number since the time the WC was awarded . I read (France24) that 6.5 k have died from liver failure through drinking home made booze .

The commercial partners are signing up trying to negotiate an option on 2026 (US and Mexico ) which of course will be commercially huge . I imagine so will the cost to them compared to Quatar.
World Cup of Shame on 12:17 - Nov 8 with 1559 viewsstowmarketrange

World Cup of Shame on 08:54 - Nov 8 by PlanetHonneywood

I recall the figure doing the rounds for a long time was 6,500. However, this 'only' included workers from South Asia (India, Pakistan, Nepal, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka) and not elsewhere - and Qatari building sites are full of African and Filipino workers.

As you state and I have previously said,many procedures and systems were somewhat nascent in a young country. They have improved certainly and 'thankfully' the last recorded figure generated by the UN for 2021, saw the number of fatalities reduce to 50 deaths for that year.

Of course, just one death is one too many, but while Qatari H&S are to be held to account - and there have been huge improvements to it over the years - there is also another factor here that should not be overlooked: the construction companies should also have known and done way better from the start!

Wembley as you (may) know was built by an Aussie company, and not surprisingly, many of the Doha WC stadiums unless I am mistaken, were designed, built etc. by foreign companies. Companies, who, in their own countries, would have been subject to strict building/H&S regulations. They could have ensured such standards were applied on their sites from the start, but especially when deaths/injuries were mounting early on in the preparations.

However, these things were not done. Ultimately, it is for Qatar to remedy and stand to account for the actions, but we should not forget that foreign contractors employed to deliver the huge capital build projects also have a role to play in this in terms of their culpability and their duty to remedy...after all, some of them have made plenty cash!

How many have died due to having to work in +40c heat?Were the workers given enough breaks to get out of the sun to avoid heatstroke and heat exhaustion?Or was completing the job on time more important than workers lives?
That’s without the accidental deaths on potentially dangerous building sites.
World Cup of Shame on 13:31 - Nov 8 with 1474 viewsPunteR

World Cup of Shame on 08:54 - Nov 8 by PlanetHonneywood

I'm just quoting figures from this thread mate.

It's a good point about overseas firms doing the construction work, and should have their own H&S and RAMS.
The whole thing feels a bit grubby and I think a lot falls on FIFA for choosing a world cup in a country that's not suitable for the event.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

World Cup of Shame on 13:33 - Nov 8 with 1461 viewsflynnbo

https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/sports/qatar-world-cup-ambassador-says-homosex
World Cup of Shame on 13:39 - Nov 8 with 1446 viewshantssi

And Blatter has now come out and said they shouldn’t have been awarded it!!
You couldn’t make it up!
Not watching a minute of it.
World Cup of Shame on 14:30 - Nov 8 with 1383 viewsCamberleyR

World Cup of Shame on 13:39 - Nov 8 by hantssi

And Blatter has now come out and said they shouldn’t have been awarded it!!
You couldn’t make it up!
Not watching a minute of it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63554507

Yes, only taken Twátter 12 years to own up although in the article he tries to shift the blame onto Platini and UEFA whose four votes swung it for Qatar.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

World Cup of Shame on 15:16 - Nov 8 with 1301 viewsEsox_Lucius

I became disillusioned with FIFA after learning about João Havelange's web of corruption after many years of avidly watching the World Cup no matter what time the matches were. I remained suspicious of the WC venue selection when Blatter took over and since Japan & S. Korea, have boycotted watching any WC tournament since and, where I have been able to, have not supported any of the sponsors.
These days, I have no interest in the upper echelons of football thanks to FIFA and Sky. I am left with the dichotomy of wanting QPR to win every game and not get promoted to the EPL.

The grass is always greener.

World Cup of Shame on 15:37 - Nov 8 with 1250 viewsAberystwythR

Am I the only personal genuinely excited for this world cup ? Maybe its due to it being my first time seeing Wales in the tournament but ill still be watching every game that work commitments (and the mrs) allows!
World Cup of Shame on 15:57 - Nov 8 with 1218 viewsRangersw12

World Cup of Shame on 15:37 - Nov 8 by AberystwythR

Am I the only personal genuinely excited for this world cup ? Maybe its due to it being my first time seeing Wales in the tournament but ill still be watching every game that work commitments (and the mrs) allows!

I'm looking forward to it, if people wnat to boycott it then that's up to them but I will be trying to watch every game possible
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024