Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is the lock down ending too soon? 04:59 - Jul 1 with 135698 viewsGlyn1

That's basically it.

Thoughts please.
[Post edited 1 Jul 2020 5:00]

Poll: Who should be our next manager? Please name them.

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 20:06 - Oct 23 with 1233 viewsAndy1300

Well said.

Number 1 team in Wales

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 22:17 - Oct 23 with 1206 viewsmajorraglan

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 20:44 - Oct 22 by felixstowe_jack

Drakeford has decreed that supermarkets can only sell essential goods. Wonder if he will provide a list of goods he considers essential? Does he consider alcohol essential?

I personally think it’s a good and fair move. The supermarkets are already doing quite nicely thanks very much, why should a small “non essential” boutique have to close while Tesco, ASDA etc can keep on selling their clothing range. Double standards and unfair.
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 22:27 - Oct 23 with 1196 viewsCatullus

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 09:09 - Oct 23 by exhmrc1

The Skewen area is not really a true reflection. It includes the Bay Campus and the number of cases is higher because of that. Some are because of locals. Some are because of students so the figure you are quoting certainly isnt as high in the community. The probability is that something like 2/3 to 3/4 of the Skewen numbers are students given the numbers for Swansea University. Swansea university planned using one of the halls on the Bay to quarantine overseas students. I dont know if that happened.

I saw a graph on the news just now, there was a massive rise in cases in young people (10-29 yers old) when schools and colleges went back. Cases are dropping now but has the damage been done?

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 22:31 - Oct 23 with 1195 viewsJack123

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 22:17 - Oct 23 by majorraglan

I personally think it’s a good and fair move. The supermarkets are already doing quite nicely thanks very much, why should a small “non essential” boutique have to close while Tesco, ASDA etc can keep on selling their clothing range. Double standards and unfair.

It's a terrible move, nothing should be closed.. No shop, no pub, nothing!! I've had enough of this hyped up rubbish..

It needs to stop now.

[Post edited 23 Oct 2020 22:31]

libera nos a malo

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 22:43 - Oct 23 with 1181 viewsScotia

It is a fair point, but no shops should be closed. There is absolutely no need.

This move is just going to annoy people. I'm personally livid. My daughter may now miss out on having a decent Halloween costume and some fireworks in the garden. If I genuinely thought it would control the virus I wouldn't mind, but it won't and I've had bought both in Asda anyway.

Utterly pointless.
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 23:06 - Oct 23 with 1168 viewsAndy1300

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 22:31 - Oct 23 by Jack123

It's a terrible move, nothing should be closed.. No shop, no pub, nothing!! I've had enough of this hyped up rubbish..

It needs to stop now.

[Post edited 23 Oct 2020 22:31]

Great video, the problem is, the government’s won’t listen to a balanced view from either side of science, they have a blinkered approach and only listen to one side!

Number 1 team in Wales

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 23:07 - Oct 23 with 1167 viewsexhmrc1

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 22:27 - Oct 23 by Catullus

I saw a graph on the news just now, there was a massive rise in cases in young people (10-29 yers old) when schools and colleges went back. Cases are dropping now but has the damage been done?

There always was going to be an increase. You had people coming back from holidays and kids going into school with so the cases rose. As there were more cases there was more infections amongst students as well and they brought it with them and in Halls or HMOs it will spread. The information however shows that students are the reason for the increase throughout Wales. They will have a disproportionate effect where there are campuses and where the majority of students live.

In Wales we have 8 universities. Cardiff has a campus in Cardiff.
Swansea has 2 campuses one in Swansea and the other in Neath Port Talbot.
Cardiff Met has a campus in Cardiff.
University of South Wales has a campus in Pontypridd and one in Cardiff. It used to have a campus in Newport which I believe has now closed.
Univeristy of Wales Trinity St Davids has small campuses in Carmarthen and Lampeter and most of its students in Swansea.
Bangor, Aberystwyth and Wrexham have universities.

The rest of Wales are unaffected by students. Bangor and Aber have had problems within the student communities but are quite small so the figures are very low.

Cardiff university has had major problems about 700 cases but these are largely centred around Gabalfa, Roath and Cathays. The big issue is one Hall of Residence. There are a couple of other areas but these are the main areas.

In Swansea the Bay Campus is the main issue. It houses over 1/2 of the universities rooms 2002 and was also where the university intended putting overseas students into quarantine before moving them into bubbles. This is in Skewen and Jersey Marine area and disproportionately affects the figures there so a large number of the cases in your area will undoubtably be due to the Bay Campus.

The university has a smaller number of cases on Singleton Campus 1182 and Henderfoilan Student Village 686 so this will affect the areas they are in. In addition you have the student areas of Brynmill and Uplands withe very large student areas. HSV is within Sketty so will swell the figures. I assume Singleton would come under Brynmill but maybe it is under Sketty. A look at the figures shows these are the figures affected most because they are swelled with the students living there but everywhere has cases whether student areas or not. These are for the last 7 days
Skewen 72 highest in NPT
Neath Abbey 20
Briton Ferry 15
Cadoxton and Bryncoch 9

It is pretty certain a large number of the cases in your area are students but it is a small amount of the overall NPT figures.

In Swansea Sketty has 31
Uplands 29
Brynmill 24
City Centre 16
St Thomas 14
Townhill 14

These would include over 90% of the students living in Swansea but other areas with very few students have high figures as well.
Dunvant and Upper Killay 15
Loughor 9

As you can see your area is by far the highest because of the Bay Campus and Sketty, Brynmill and Uplands are hugely affected by the number of students but other places which have no students are still having many cases as well and overall the impact on Swansea Bay from students is minimal compared to the normal public. It is even lower overall in Wales as only a few places are affected by students.
[Post edited 23 Oct 2020 23:28]
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 23:15 - Oct 23 with 1160 viewsmajorraglan

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 22:43 - Oct 23 by Scotia

It is a fair point, but no shops should be closed. There is absolutely no need.

This move is just going to annoy people. I'm personally livid. My daughter may now miss out on having a decent Halloween costume and some fireworks in the garden. If I genuinely thought it would control the virus I wouldn't mind, but it won't and I've had bought both in Asda anyway.

Utterly pointless.

My personal view is that if shops can ensure they rigidly comply the guidance and are as safe as they can be then I wouldn’t have an issue with them staying open. Over the last few months some of the precautionary measures and safeguards have been relaxed and in lots of places it’s become not much more than a token effort - those establishments should be warned and if they don’t buck their ideas up they get closed.

If the track and trace work is showing that bars, pubs, clubs and restaurants are responsible for the spread, then that’s a different kettle of fish and they should be closed, if mixing in personal dwellings is a problem then that also needs to go.

There’s no doubt the high street is getting a caning, maybe reducing business rates ( which is just a stealth tax) and taxing the corporations who funnel their cash offshore could go some way to reinvigorating our towns and cities.
Login to get fewer ads

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 23:16 - Oct 23 with 1160 viewsJack123

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 23:07 - Oct 23 by exhmrc1

There always was going to be an increase. You had people coming back from holidays and kids going into school with so the cases rose. As there were more cases there was more infections amongst students as well and they brought it with them and in Halls or HMOs it will spread. The information however shows that students are the reason for the increase throughout Wales. They will have a disproportionate effect where there are campuses and where the majority of students live.

In Wales we have 8 universities. Cardiff has a campus in Cardiff.
Swansea has 2 campuses one in Swansea and the other in Neath Port Talbot.
Cardiff Met has a campus in Cardiff.
University of South Wales has a campus in Pontypridd and one in Cardiff. It used to have a campus in Newport which I believe has now closed.
Univeristy of Wales Trinity St Davids has small campuses in Carmarthen and Lampeter and most of its students in Swansea.
Bangor, Aberystwyth and Wrexham have universities.

The rest of Wales are unaffected by students. Bangor and Aber have had problems within the student communities but are quite small so the figures are very low.

Cardiff university has had major problems about 700 cases but these are largely centred around Gabalfa, Roath and Cathays. The big issue is one Hall of Residence. There are a couple of other areas but these are the main areas.

In Swansea the Bay Campus is the main issue. It houses over 1/2 of the universities rooms 2002 and was also where the university intended putting overseas students into quarantine before moving them into bubbles. This is in Skewen and Jersey Marine area and disproportionately affects the figures there so a large number of the cases in your area will undoubtably be due to the Bay Campus.

The university has a smaller number of cases on Singleton Campus 1182 and Henderfoilan Student Village 686 so this will affect the areas they are in. In addition you have the student areas of Brynmill and Uplands withe very large student areas. HSV is within Sketty so will swell the figures. I assume Singleton would come under Brynmill but maybe it is under Sketty. A look at the figures shows these are the figures affected most because they are swelled with the students living there but everywhere has cases whether student areas or not. These are for the last 7 days
Skewen 72 highest in NPT
Neath Abbey 20
Briton Ferry 15
Cadoxton and Bryncoch 9

It is pretty certain a large number of the cases in your area are students but it is a small amount of the overall NPT figures.

In Swansea Sketty has 31
Uplands 29
Brynmill 24
City Centre 16
St Thomas 14
Townhill 14

These would include over 90% of the students living in Swansea but other areas with very few students have high figures as well.
Dunvant and Upper Killay 15
Loughor 9

As you can see your area is by far the highest because of the Bay Campus and Sketty, Brynmill and Uplands are hugely affected by the number of students but other places which have no students are still having many cases as well and overall the impact on Swansea Bay from students is minimal compared to the normal public. It is even lower overall in Wales as only a few places are affected by students.
[Post edited 23 Oct 2020 23:28]

Lots of cases, not that many deaths, let's face it the deaths are under a bad flu season at the moment,.

And they say our hospitals are at breaking point, well it only seems like 2 years ago there were pictures on WOL of ambulances lined up outside Morriston hospital, because there was no room..

libera nos a malo

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 23:18 - Oct 23 with 1155 viewsAndy1300

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 23:16 - Oct 23 by Jack123

Lots of cases, not that many deaths, let's face it the deaths are under a bad flu season at the moment,.

And they say our hospitals are at breaking point, well it only seems like 2 years ago there were pictures on WOL of ambulances lined up outside Morriston hospital, because there was no room..

The thing is this, they call them cases, they are not, they are positive results, a case is a hospital admission, it’s all a con to scare people!

Number 1 team in Wales

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 23:43 - Oct 23 with 1145 viewsJack123

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 23:18 - Oct 23 by Andy1300

The thing is this, they call them cases, they are not, they are positive results, a case is a hospital admission, it’s all a con to scare people!

Plus they are testing a positive case within a few days, to get another positive result...Manipulation of the highest order..

And don't forget all these deaths supposedly of covid, have a little disclaimer under the deaths, died within 28 days of testing positive.. not they died of it. It's all BS.
[Post edited 23 Oct 2020 23:46]

libera nos a malo

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 03:11 - Oct 24 with 1123 viewsDJack

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 23:43 - Oct 23 by Jack123

Plus they are testing a positive case within a few days, to get another positive result...Manipulation of the highest order..

And don't forget all these deaths supposedly of covid, have a little disclaimer under the deaths, died within 28 days of testing positive.. not they died of it. It's all BS.
[Post edited 23 Oct 2020 23:46]

You are spewing bullshit...and now you are posting like a bot/shill account

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 08:07 - Oct 24 with 1104 viewsScotia

The insane thing is that it is clear that many cases are in student communities.

There are no extra restrictions on students. They can still go to face to face lectures.

But I'm not allowed to go fishing, take my daughter to the beach, go to a covid secure garden centre or buy a book in a supermarket.

I've worked with WG legislation for years, it is often rubbish, but this is beyond stupid.

Please remember this in May people and get shot of this government.
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 08:28 - Oct 24 with 1094 viewsmajorraglan

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 08:07 - Oct 24 by Scotia

The insane thing is that it is clear that many cases are in student communities.

There are no extra restrictions on students. They can still go to face to face lectures.

But I'm not allowed to go fishing, take my daughter to the beach, go to a covid secure garden centre or buy a book in a supermarket.

I've worked with WG legislation for years, it is often rubbish, but this is beyond stupid.

My son is staying at a university in England, apart from the odd tutorial which they have the option of attending in person or joining on line, all his other lectures are being carried out virtually. When he does attend in person, they are spaced out and have to wear face masks and visors.

There are cases in the student communities and the numbers will vary from area to area, but that won’t stop it spreading in to the wider community which is where the risk is.
[Post edited 24 Oct 2020 8:32]
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 08:31 - Oct 24 with 1091 viewsmajorraglan

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 23:16 - Oct 23 by Jack123

Ambulances stacked up outside hospitals is nothing new, it happens all the time.

Sadly, the deaths will follow as the cases rise and spread through the community and it’s not just the old.
[Post edited 24 Oct 2020 8:32]
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 09:17 - Oct 24 with 1076 viewsexhmrc1

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 08:07 - Oct 24 by Scotia

Students face the same restrictions as the rest of us which is exactly as it should be, How many face to face lectures are there. Most of it is done online anyway. People can go to work if they cannot work from home. Students can go to lectures is nothing different.

Going fishing or the beach is leisure activities and students are treated the same as others. As the self proclaimed champion of business it seems you hare happy for big supermarkets to be able to sell books whilst local bookshops and charity shops cannot.

The evidence on students in Wales is absolutely clear. The vast majority of cases in Wales do not involve students. Cardiff has a huge problem due to the spread in one of its halls. The rest of the universities in Wales have only a few hundred cases between them compared to thousands in members of the general public. In the last 7 days there has been 72 cases in Skewen and Jersey Marine, 31 in Sketty, 29 in Uplands and 29 in Brynmill. Even if all these are students (highly unlikely) it is still just a fraction of the overall cases. Other areas with students like St Thomas the rates arent much higher than Clydach, Pontardawe, Gorseinon and Loughor so it is unlikely many students are affected there.
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 09:21 - Oct 24 with 1076 viewsDr_Winston

Why don't they just let the small "non essential" boutique which has no doubt spent a lot of time, money and effort to try and make themselves Covid safe stay open in the first place and save all the hassle?

Increased infections aren't being driven by someone nipping to Rowberrys for a new pair of shoes. Forcing people into the arms of Amazon is just going to make a bad situation for these poor buggers even worse.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 09:41 - Oct 24 with 1070 viewsScotia

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 09:17 - Oct 24 by exhmrc1

Students face the same restrictions as the rest of us which is exactly as it should be, How many face to face lectures are there. Most of it is done online anyway. People can go to work if they cannot work from home. Students can go to lectures is nothing different.

Going fishing or the beach is leisure activities and students are treated the same as others. As the self proclaimed champion of business it seems you hare happy for big supermarkets to be able to sell books whilst local bookshops and charity shops cannot.

The evidence on students in Wales is absolutely clear. The vast majority of cases in Wales do not involve students. Cardiff has a huge problem due to the spread in one of its halls. The rest of the universities in Wales have only a few hundred cases between them compared to thousands in members of the general public. In the last 7 days there has been 72 cases in Skewen and Jersey Marine, 31 in Sketty, 29 in Uplands and 29 in Brynmill. Even if all these are students (highly unlikely) it is still just a fraction of the overall cases. Other areas with students like St Thomas the rates arent much higher than Clydach, Pontardawe, Gorseinon and Loughor so it is unlikely many students are affected there.

We are told to stay home students can attend face to face lectures. They should have to stay home too, all of their work could be done online or postponed.

Of course the majority of the cases aren't in students, they probably only make up 5% of the population but in some cases 25% of cases.

All shops should be open. The vast majority are completely covid safe. What small shops are being protected by this idiotic rule? There are hardly any left anyway. I can only think of about 10 in Swansea City centre.

Also this is really going to hamper some people's Christmas, I'd guess the salary earned over this lock down would have been paid just before Christmas. Shop and hospitality workers are likely to end up in debt.

Unless there is a substantial drop in cases after this lockdown Drakeford should be finished.
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 10:27 - Oct 24 with 1061 viewsexhmrc1

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 09:41 - Oct 24 by Scotia

We are told to stay home students can attend face to face lectures. They should have to stay home too, all of their work could be done online or postponed.

Of course the majority of the cases aren't in students, they probably only make up 5% of the population but in some cases 25% of cases.

All shops should be open. The vast majority are completely covid safe. What small shops are being protected by this idiotic rule? There are hardly any left anyway. I can only think of about 10 in Swansea City centre.

Also this is really going to hamper some people's Christmas, I'd guess the salary earned over this lock down would have been paid just before Christmas. Shop and hospitality workers are likely to end up in debt.

Unless there is a substantial drop in cases after this lockdown Drakeford should be finished.

Most lectures are taking place online. Many workers are continuing to work. Attending a lecture is the students work. How many lectures do you think the students are attending. Most are being done online. There are cases like in Bristol university where students are complaining about not having lectures despite being told they would have blended learning. For many humanities courses they have as few as 6 hours lectures a week. The rest of the time involves reading. For science courses they will be attending lab sessions which cannot be done in halls.

As far as your thoughts on Drakeford you are clearly in the minority. His poll ratings are far higher than Johnson's and the evidence is that unlike you most Welsh people think he has handled the crisis well. Given that Johnson's popularity has nosedive from its height at the last election and even then with the most unpopular Labour leader in my time in place at that time the Tories couldn't win a majority of the votes or seats in Wales I dont see any prospect of Drakeford being replaced at the next election. I suspect he will increase his majority.
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 10:37 - Oct 24 with 1059 viewsScotia

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 10:27 - Oct 24 by exhmrc1

Most lectures are taking place online. Many workers are continuing to work. Attending a lecture is the students work. How many lectures do you think the students are attending. Most are being done online. There are cases like in Bristol university where students are complaining about not having lectures despite being told they would have blended learning. For many humanities courses they have as few as 6 hours lectures a week. The rest of the time involves reading. For science courses they will be attending lab sessions which cannot be done in halls.

As far as your thoughts on Drakeford you are clearly in the minority. His poll ratings are far higher than Johnson's and the evidence is that unlike you most Welsh people think he has handled the crisis well. Given that Johnson's popularity has nosedive from its height at the last election and even then with the most unpopular Labour leader in my time in place at that time the Tories couldn't win a majority of the votes or seats in Wales I dont see any prospect of Drakeford being replaced at the next election. I suspect he will increase his majority.

A disproportionate amount of infection is in students. All lectures should be online and uni buildings closed to students. What do you think would happen if there was a massive cluster in somewhere like the DVLA?

You may be correct about the next Senedd elections, the electorate are pretty stupid on the whole. Someone mentioned herd stupidity the other day which sums it up well.
[Post edited 24 Oct 2020 10:41]
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 10:58 - Oct 24 with 1047 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 10:37 - Oct 24 by Scotia

A disproportionate amount of infection is in students. All lectures should be online and uni buildings closed to students. What do you think would happen if there was a massive cluster in somewhere like the DVLA?

You may be correct about the next Senedd elections, the electorate are pretty stupid on the whole. Someone mentioned herd stupidity the other day which sums it up well.

What makes you think there isn't a cluster in the DVLA?
The people working there who are testing positive for COVID would be placed in where they live and not where they work.
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 11:16 - Oct 24 with 1045 viewsCatullus

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 10:37 - Oct 24 by Scotia

Thisis why the infection rate is high amongst students,

https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/education/university-portsmouth-threatens-expel-stu

This is why Uni's should be closed down and student sent home, because they are not obeying the rules and they are spreading the virus. Despite the threat of a 10k fine people are still organising parties.
Ok, Uni's can stay open but the punishment needs to increase. It can stay at 10k for organising but the punishment for attending should be much higher (2k maybe?) and they should all be expelled too. Unless the deterrent is strong enough they will carry on.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 11:39 - Oct 24 with 1038 viewsScotia

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 10:58 - Oct 24 by A_Fans_Dad

What makes you think there isn't a cluster in the DVLA?
The people working there who are testing positive for COVID would be placed in where they live and not where they work.

There have been a few clusters linked to car sharing in the main as far as I know.

I was referring to a very significant outbreak clearly linked to the office.
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 11:42 - Oct 24 with 1035 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 11:16 - Oct 24 by Catullus

https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/education/university-portsmouth-threatens-expel-stu

This is why Uni's should be closed down and student sent home, because they are not obeying the rules and they are spreading the virus. Despite the threat of a 10k fine people are still organising parties.
Ok, Uni's can stay open but the punishment needs to increase. It can stay at 10k for organising but the punishment for attending should be much higher (2k maybe?) and they should all be expelled too. Unless the deterrent is strong enough they will carry on.

I have no problem with them having parties, in fact I applaud it.
The more of them that get it and get over it the better.
Just don't let the little sods leave their digs and mix with the general public.
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 11:44 - Oct 24 with 1034 viewsexhmrc1

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 11:16 - Oct 24 by Catullus

The reality is that most cases in students are not spread through parties. They are spread through one infecting others living in very close confinement in Halls or HMOs and it was always going to happen. However had the cases generally been lower not so many would have brought it with them and the numbers would have been far less.

If we didnt have the catalysts in August then there wouldnt have been the spread. Even Scotia was saying in August that opening pubs would increase the cases but it needed to be kept under control. It hasnt been and that was never going to happen.

You will always get parties and not just amongst students. Perhaps you should focus on others as well. The student problem is about 1/10th of the cases in Wales but higher in student cities although still a low percentage.

Yesterday I caught a bus in the quadrant. I got in second. The first lady sat in one of the back seats. I sat opposite her 2 seats down for social distancing. A lady got in with a pram and sat in the first row. Then a woman got on with her child and despite having almost the whole bus to choose they decided to sit in the seats in front of me. I moved but her behaviour highlights the stupidy of people. A practically empty bus and she chooses to sit right in front of someone. She wasnt a student. She was probably early forties with a young kid.

There are people who are ignoring sensible social distancing because they have a mask. It is the lack of social distancing that is responsible for most of our cases not just students.

I do however agree with you regarding punishments. They are not strong enough and the university in this case should be expelling those involved. Far more effective than a fine but punishments also need to apply to those acting irresponsibly as well.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024