Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Forest away pubs 09:28 - Dec 20 with 3258 viewsAberystwythR

Looked online and seems to say that most pubs around the city ground are home supporters only, anyone know of any away fan friendly ones to visit?
Forest away pubs on 09:47 - Dec 20 with 3214 viewsKonk

We've drunk in the Vat and Fiddle on our last couple of trips. It's the Castle Rock brewery tap room - just round the corner from the station. Not too far from the ground, chilled-out, old school boozer atmosphere. None of my lot wear colours, but were obviously Fulham/Londoners and didn't have any trouble on either visits. They're open from 11am too.

https://www.castlerockbrewery.co.uk/pubs/vat-and-fiddle/

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Forest away pubs on 10:00 - Dec 20 with 3194 viewsBoston

I thougt we mobbed up at Hooters.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Forest away pubs on 10:01 - Dec 20 with 3194 viewsboysfromthebush

Company inn by the court.

Cheap beer, 5 minute walk from the station!
Forest away pubs on 10:12 - Dec 20 with 3164 viewsTheChef

Forest away pubs on 09:47 - Dec 20 by Konk

We've drunk in the Vat and Fiddle on our last couple of trips. It's the Castle Rock brewery tap room - just round the corner from the station. Not too far from the ground, chilled-out, old school boozer atmosphere. None of my lot wear colours, but were obviously Fulham/Londoners and didn't have any trouble on either visits. They're open from 11am too.

Cheers Konk.

Was aiming for a more traditional boozer, rather than going to bloomin' Hooters! Just need to convince the rest of our mob.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Forest away pubs on 12:36 - Dec 20 with 3024 views18StoneOfHoop

Forest away pubs on 09:47 - Dec 20 by Konk

Whether the pre-match pub be cultured or base I ain't going to Nottm.
I shall be at Griffin Park in Middlesex
for Bees v Bolton and - fingers crossed surely -
Big Ears Thomas Frank's last game and receipt of P45.
[Post edited 20 Dec 2018 23:09]

'I'm 18 with a bullet.Got my finger on the trigger,I'm gonna pull it.." Love,Peace and Fook Chelski! More like 20StoneOfHoop now. Let's face it I'm not getting any thinner. Pass the cake and pies please.

Forest away pubs on 12:39 - Dec 20 with 3016 viewsMoonshineSteve

We went to the Vat and Fiddle last year - about 10 of us - and it was great. Similar to Konk's experience, we were obviously Rangers but don't be a tit and you don't get any hassle. Superb selection of beers.

I am still Steve but no longer in Dagenham.

Forest away pubs on 12:40 - Dec 20 with 3015 viewsMick_S

Forest away pubs on 12:36 - Dec 20 by 18StoneOfHoop

Whether the pre-match pub be cultured or base I ain't going to Nottm.
I shall be at Griffin Park in Middlesex
for Bees v Bolton and - fingers crossed surely -
Big Ears Thomas Frank's last game and receipt of P45.
[Post edited 20 Dec 2018 23:09]

If I was a footballer with Forest I would allow myself 3 wives. Not too pc, I grant you.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Forest away pubs on 13:20 - Dec 20 with 2944 viewsGalileo

Trent Navigation Inn beside Notts Country's ground.

Small and friendly and no distance to the City Ground.
Login to get fewer ads

Forest away pubs on 13:33 - Dec 20 with 2919 viewsngbqpr

Ok, having been exiled to within a few minutes of the City Ground since the mid-90s...a bit of local knowledge...

Firstly, just to confirm all the pubs round the ground are very much home fans only (including the Larwood & Voce by the cricket ground, which used to be a safe haven for away fans, but turned home only several years ago).

If you're coming by train, from the station it's a leisurely stroll to the CG, and if either (a) you don't wear colours; or (b) don't act like a tw@t, plenty of pubs in or near the centre will be fine. Konk is right, the VAT & Fiddle is one, and is very near the station.

Many of you on previous visits will probably have checked out the 'historical' Ye Olde Trip to Jerusalem (built into the old caves); and the 'over the caves' Salutation Inn (for the heavy metallers out there). There's a decent little run of pubs along the canal near the station too (eg the Canal House).

Hooters is right next to the station if that's your thing.

Craft beer fans who don't mind wandering a bit further should try Junkyard...its neighbouring sister pub is the Herbert Kilpin, named after the Nottingham bloke who formed AC Milan!

Most weekends, whether it's Forest or County at home, I see plenty of away fans in colours strolling to the grounds without getting any bother, but with an acceptable police presence. To be honest Forest only get really worked up about Derby, and they got all that out of their systems for a few months last Monday.

(quick edit: I'll second Galileo's Trent Navigation tip - on the walk down from the station by Meadow Lane).

On the Forest side of Trent Bridge is the 'leafy suburb' of West Bridgford (the away bit is in the Bridgford end). Picture a provincial take on Chiswick, with lots of family friendly bars / cafes - if you're coming with kids, you might want to head here. The best pub here is the Stratford Haven (please note - dogs allowed, which freaked out a couple of Rs I recommended this to a few years back!).

If you get there early enough, there's quite a bit of free street parking in & around Bridgford, though please note some roads are for resident permit holders only.

Also walking distance from the ground is the 'suburb within a suburb' of Lady Bay. The Lady Bay pub will be full of home fans - not sure if it's officially home fans only, and it's not a rowdy place, but I'm not sure I'd go so far as to recommend it...very near here is a new independently owned pizza place Holy Calzone which serves some good beers, family aimed and got a room of vintage arcade games. The other Lady Bay pub, the Poppy & Pint, is popular with beer aficianados.

Finally...if you've not been for a few seasons...the A453 in from Junction 24 is now dual carriageway and doesn't get gridlocked anymore, so this is quicker than the 'back route' from Jct 21a that used to be recommended.
[Post edited 20 Dec 2018 13:37]

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

Forest away pubs on 13:40 - Dec 20 with 2898 viewssmegma

Ye Olde Trip To Jerusalem is where its at. Claims to be the oldest pub in England . As do a couple of others. It's attached to Nottingham Castle. If you're over 6 foot you have to get down low to get in the place.
Forest away pubs on 13:46 - Dec 20 with 2875 viewsToast_R

Forest away pubs on 13:33 - Dec 20 by ngbqpr

Ok, having been exiled to within a few minutes of the City Ground since the mid-90s...a bit of local knowledge...

Firstly, just to confirm all the pubs round the ground are very much home fans only (including the Larwood & Voce by the cricket ground, which used to be a safe haven for away fans, but turned home only several years ago).

If you're coming by train, from the station it's a leisurely stroll to the CG, and if either (a) you don't wear colours; or (b) don't act like a tw@t, plenty of pubs in or near the centre will be fine. Konk is right, the VAT & Fiddle is one, and is very near the station.

Many of you on previous visits will probably have checked out the 'historical' Ye Olde Trip to Jerusalem (built into the old caves); and the 'over the caves' Salutation Inn (for the heavy metallers out there). There's a decent little run of pubs along the canal near the station too (eg the Canal House).

Craft beer fans who don't mind wandering a bit further should try Junkyard...its neighbouring sister pub is the Herbert Kilpin, named after the Nottingham bloke who formed AC Milan!

Most weekends, whether it's Forest or County at home, I see plenty of away fans in colours strolling to the grounds without getting any bother, but with an acceptable police presence. To be honest Forest only get really worked up about Derby, and they got all that out of their systems for a few months last Monday.

(quick edit: I'll second Galileo's Trent Navigation tip - on the walk down from the station by Meadow Lane).

On the Forest side of Trent Bridge is the 'leafy suburb' of West Bridgford (the away bit is in the Bridgford end). Picture a provincial take on Chiswick, with lots of family friendly bars / cafes - if you're coming with kids, you might want to head here. The best pub here is the Stratford Haven (please note - dogs allowed, which freaked out a couple of Rs I recommended this to a few years back!).

If you get there early enough, there's quite a bit of free street parking in & around Bridgford, though please note some roads are for resident permit holders only.

Also walking distance from the ground is the 'suburb within a suburb' of Lady Bay. The Lady Bay pub will be full of home fans - not sure if it's officially home fans only, and it's not a rowdy place, but I'm not sure I'd go so far as to recommend it...very near here is a new independently owned pizza place Holy Calzone which serves some good beers, family aimed and got a room of vintage arcade games. The other Lady Bay pub, the Poppy & Pint, is popular with beer aficianados.

Finally...if you've not been for a few seasons...the A453 in from Junction 24 is now dual carriageway and doesn't get gridlocked anymore, so this is quicker than the 'back route' from Jct 21a that used to be recommended.

Thanks for posting this.

I was going to try the Ye Olde Trip to Jerusalem as it sounded quite different and historical but having seen the Galileo's Trent Navigation mentioned and as it's less of a walk to the stadium, think I will try there for ease of convenience and the way my bladder don't hold up too well in the cold. I may pop into the Vat & Fiddle first though when I get off the train, sounds like there's some nice beers to try.
Forest away pubs on 14:53 - Dec 20 with 2759 viewsmakaveli1882

Great post.

Randomly (having no family ties and leaving no where near Nottingham) I am getting married in Nottingham ... Serves me right for leaving Trent bridge at lunch.

So I have to go Wollaton Hall in Wollaton Park at 10am to look at the venue before meeting my Rangers lot, my idiot wife to be (she indeed is a stupid woman) thought she was doing me a favour by booking my ticket but instead its in her name and Rangers have decided to send it back to Nottingham for collection even though it was booked tuesday before the cut off ..... they are also stupid.

Anyway a lot of f*cking about for me and the ticket collection is not open until 13.30 onwards which really messes with my plans.

Other than my venue I have an evening reception at the Riverside gallery which is above the brew house and kitchen which used to be The Riverbank bar - The upstairs is really nice and views nice (in summer) but I doubt I will be able to get in there as it's probably classed as a Home pub.

Anyway I don't want to get married and I don't want to go to Nottingham, and my Club can't even be arsed to send the ticket out to my house after charging £3.50 for a booking fee .............. But yet here I go again in the search of 3 points in Nottingham, what a caant
Forest away pubs on 15:05 - Dec 20 with 2732 viewsBoston

Only thing you missed out was your home address.

Forest away pubs on 15:09 - Dec 20 with 2730 viewsSonofNorfolt

Forest away pubs on 14:53 - Dec 20 by makaveli1882

Great post.

Randomly (having no family ties and leaving no where near Nottingham) I am getting married in Nottingham ... Serves me right for leaving Trent bridge at lunch.

So I have to go Wollaton Hall in Wollaton Park at 10am to look at the venue before meeting my Rangers lot, my idiot wife to be (she indeed is a stupid woman) thought she was doing me a favour by booking my ticket but instead its in her name and Rangers have decided to send it back to Nottingham for collection even though it was booked tuesday before the cut off ..... they are also stupid.

Anyway a lot of f*cking about for me and the ticket collection is not open until 13.30 onwards which really messes with my plans.

Other than my venue I have an evening reception at the Riverside gallery which is above the brew house and kitchen which used to be The Riverbank bar - The upstairs is really nice and views nice (in summer) but I doubt I will be able to get in there as it's probably classed as a Home pub.

Anyway I don't want to get married and I don't want to go to Nottingham, and my Club can't even be arsed to send the ticket out to my house after charging £3.50 for a booking fee .............. But yet here I go again in the search of 3 points in Nottingham, what a caant

Why the fu ck are you getting married in Notts?
Do you expect us all to go?
Even Michael Jackson won't turn up now.
Sort it out Dave.
Forest away pubs on 15:15 - Dec 20 with 2723 viewsBoston

Forest away pubs on 15:09 - Dec 20 by SonofNorfolt

Sort it out Dave.

Michael Jackson’s problem was he was forever blowing bubbles...now there’s laws against the mistreatment of animals.

Forest away pubs on 15:19 - Dec 20 with 2716 viewsmakaveli1882

Forest away pubs on 15:09 - Dec 20 by SonofNorfolt

Sort it out Dave.

Haha dont Mel was a moment of madness - it's going to be a big weekend .

To be fair got decent venues, you may need to run a coach

The stags are more important!
Forest away pubs on 19:05 - Dec 20 with 2546 viewssmegma

Forest away pubs on 15:15 - Dec 20 by Boston

Michael Jackson’s problem was he was forever blowing bubbles...now there’s laws against the mistreatment of animals.

I don't recall Bubbles complaining.
Forest away pubs on 21:29 - Dec 20 with 2435 viewsKonk

I went up with a Forest mate for a mid-weeker about 15 years ago, and after a day on the pop, we went to some place behind the Executive Stand (?), which knocked out amazing Pork cobs/baps. I kept going back for another. I had about four of the buggers in the end. Got a lock-in in some boozer afterwards, woke up with a 10/10 hangover, and was sick out of my mate's Mum's car window on the way to lunch the next day. Cool.

I love Nottingham away days - easy journey, but far enough away that it feels like a proper away day, two decent clubs, loads of good boozers if doing an overnight, walking distance from the station and I've even managed to get an afternoon of cricket in at TB before a midweek game before. Great city.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Forest away pubs on 00:47 - Dec 21 with 2329 viewsozranger

Will vouch for the Canalhouse. Easy to get to. Went there last season with the missus and the food and beer were quite okay. Plenty of home fans inside but no real problems with anything.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024