Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Greatest Films Of All Time You Have Never Seen 18:10 - Nov 26 with 12636 viewsswanjackal

I recently logged in to facebook for the first time in several months, and was greeted instantly with an old acquaintance's post of his top 10 films of all time, and despite being very generic, it got me thinking of my own.

I find it near impossible to compile such lists, as it probably changes based on the mood I'm in, so I looked up some best of lists and found Empire's 100 greatest list.

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/features/best-movies/

Looking down the list, I have only actually seen around 45 of them, but what stands out to me is that I have never watched the number one choice, The Godfather. Well I have watched about 20 minutes or so, but fell asleep. Anyone else have a "classic" that they have not seen?

Also, the Empire list is way off from my own personal choices.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hypocritically hypocritical !

Greatest Films Of All Time You Have Never Seen on 09:46 - Nov 27 with 2600 viewsjackal

Greatest Films Of All Time You Have Never Seen on 08:31 - Nov 27 by majorraglan

I wasn’t fussed on Casablanc and Lawrence of Arabia myself but I thought 12 Angry Men with Henry Ford was outstanding. I just happened across it one day when flckng through the TV looking for something to watch. Another film which is touted as being right up there is High Noon, I was surprised that’s wasn’t in the list.

Edit -typo
[Post edited 27 Nov 2018 8:32]

Not only a great actor but made good cars as well.
Greatest Films Of All Time You Have Never Seen on 09:50 - Nov 27 with 2598 viewsswanjackal

Greatest Films Of All Time You Have Never Seen on 09:46 - Nov 27 by jackal

Not only a great actor but made good cars as well.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hypocritically hypocritical !

Greatest Films Of All Time You Have Never Seen on 09:54 - Nov 27 with 2593 viewsGreatBritton

81/100 for me. But some biggies missing:

The Third Man
The Big Sleep
Brief Encounter
A fistful of Dollars
The Conversation
Duck Soup

Can't recall now - was Don't Look Now there?

My top 3 was always The Good, the Bad and the Ugly/Citizen Kane/Apocalypse Now
but True Romance, Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs keep jostling to get onto my mental podium
Greatest Films Of All Time You Have Never Seen on 09:58 - Nov 27 with 2585 viewssherpajacob

Casablanca is rightly hailed as a classic.

It can be watched over and over again and something new picked up each time.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Greatest Films Of All Time You Have Never Seen on 10:24 - Nov 27 with 2563 viewstheloneranger

"Some of my fav films that didn't make the 100"

The Deer Hunter

Kes

On the Waterfront

The Night of the Hunter

Midnight Cowboy

Being There

The Thin Red Line

The Killing Fields

If

Platoon

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

Greatest Films Of All Time You Have Never Seen on 10:38 - Nov 27 with 2550 viewsCatullus

I watched 75 of those all the way through, a few I didn't get very far into before giving up. Some of them shouldn't be anywhere near the top 100. I mean, 'Arrival' it was ok but hardly great and then 'The Princess bride' come on!!!
How 'Some like it hot' and 'It's a wondefurl life' come so low down is a mystery to me. Then I do quite favour some of the older films because they are heavy on good scripts and great actors, modern films all too often (in my opinion) are too heavy on special effects.
Where are 'Arsenic and old lace' or 'The ladykillers'?

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Greatest Films Of All Time You Have Never Seen on 11:30 - Nov 27 with 2533 viewsGreatBritton

Greatest Films Of All Time You Have Never Seen on 10:38 - Nov 27 by Catullus

I watched 75 of those all the way through, a few I didn't get very far into before giving up. Some of them shouldn't be anywhere near the top 100. I mean, 'Arrival' it was ok but hardly great and then 'The Princess bride' come on!!!
How 'Some like it hot' and 'It's a wondefurl life' come so low down is a mystery to me. Then I do quite favour some of the older films because they are heavy on good scripts and great actors, modern films all too often (in my opinion) are too heavy on special effects.
Where are 'Arsenic and old lace' or 'The ladykillers'?

Ladykillers! Of course. On the Waterfront too. I haven't seen Drive, but The Driver is worth a mention too. Three characters but none of them is named. Also, from far out left field, Dogville. Nicole Kidman's best film, and she's made some excellent films
Greatest Films Of All Time You Have Never Seen on 12:20 - Nov 27 with 2518 viewsHighjack

Greatest Films Of All Time You Have Never Seen on 18:49 - Nov 26 by LeonWasGod

A classic of our time. I’ve not seen that either, but it’s on the wish list

What was the name of that film where they all had to eat each other?

Oh yeah, Deep throat I think it was.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Login to get fewer ads

Greatest Films Of All Time You Have Never Seen on 14:28 - Nov 27 with 2488 viewsWxmJax

Greatest Films Of All Time You Have Never Seen on 19:11 - Nov 26 by Dr_Winston

78/100. About where I'd expect to be.

Not seen a lot of the oldies like Singing in the Rain or Rear Window but almost all of them from about 1970 onwards.

Edit- Miscount. Was 79/100.

This post has been edited by an administrator

You haven't seen Rear Window ? One of the all-time classic lines........"He's behind you"

Ray Milland suggested that it would work better if he said "mun" and it may well have been except for the fact that when he delivered the line "He's behind you, mun" in his native Neath accent, nobody could understand him. Allegedly Milland got angry and smashed the set up resulting in James Stewart breaking his leg. Hitchcock brilliantly re-wrote the script placing Stewart's character in a wheelchair.
Milland's character was written out and he never worked in Hollywood again.

True story
[Post edited 27 Nov 2018 14:58]

Poll: England, General Election: How are you going to vote ?

Greatest Films Of All Time You Have Never Seen on 15:01 - Nov 27 with 2467 viewsProfessor

Seen 68 of these. Oddly it is lots of 1990s/early 2000s films on the list I have not seen.

Twelve Angry Men has, in my opinion, a truly great performance from Henry Fonda.
Greatest Films Of All Time You Have Never Seen on 15:03 - Nov 27 with 2465 viewsWxmJax

Greatest Films Of All Time You Have Never Seen on 08:31 - Nov 27 by majorraglan

I wasn’t fussed on Casablanc and Lawrence of Arabia myself but I thought 12 Angry Men with Henry Ford was outstanding. I just happened across it one day when flckng through the TV looking for something to watch. Another film which is touted as being right up there is High Noon, I was surprised that’s wasn’t in the list.

Edit -typo
[Post edited 27 Nov 2018 8:32]

I'd put High Noon at 12.

Poll: England, General Election: How are you going to vote ?

Greatest Films Of All Time You Have Never Seen on 15:05 - Nov 27 with 2461 viewsDippy

I think I have seen 58/100... Can't remember if I have seen some.

I'm miffed that Cast Away is not on it.. Wilson put in a performance of a lifetime
[Post edited 27 Nov 2018 15:07]

Poll: Cooper Out

Greatest Films Of All Time You Have Never Seen on 18:47 - Nov 27 with 2413 viewsjack_lord

No Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure? Weird.

Lord_Jack increasingly detached from the riches of kicking a ball
Poll: The E U : Stay or Leave

Greatest Films Of All Time You Have Never Seen on 20:24 - Nov 27 with 2383 viewsexiledclaseboy

Any list that has two Star Wars films (which I love by the way) and the first LotR film above The Godfather Part II isn’t worth the 20 minutes it took me to get to that point. Madness.
[Post edited 27 Nov 2018 20:40]

Poll: Tory leader

Greatest Films Of All Time You Have Never Seen on 20:34 - Nov 27 with 2372 viewslifelong

Greatest Films Of All Time You Have Never Seen on 18:47 - Nov 27 by jack_lord

I expected to see Dirty Grandpa on the list.
Greatest Films Of All Time You Have Never Seen on 20:36 - Nov 27 with 2372 viewsGowerjack

64/100

12 Angry Men is a nailed on classic btw

Plastic since 1974
Poll: Is ECB for tyranny?

Greatest Films Of All Time You Have Never Seen on 20:45 - Nov 27 with 2364 viewsexiledclaseboy

70/100 by the way. And Blade Runner is still shit.

Greatest Films Of All Time You Have Never Seen on 20:52 - Nov 27 with 2355 viewsDr_Winston

Greatest Films Of All Time You Have Never Seen on 20:45 - Nov 27 by exiledclaseboy

70/100 by the way. And Blade Runner is still shit.

Jesu Christo. You and films just don't get on at all.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Greatest Films Of All Time You Have Never Seen on 20:53 - Nov 27 with 2354 viewsCatullus

Greatest Films Of All Time You Have Never Seen on 18:47 - Nov 27 by jack_lord

Or 'Doghouse' with Danny Dyer, how could they leave that out!!

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Greatest Films Of All Time You Have Never Seen on 20:54 - Nov 27 with 2354 viewsswan65split

Not seen 44 of them, but I am not really a film watcher.

6th sense
empire of the sun
twin towns
Greatest Films Of All Time You Have Never Seen on 20:56 - Nov 27 with 2352 viewsexiledclaseboy

Greatest Films Of All Time You Have Never Seen on 20:52 - Nov 27 by Dr_Winston

Jesu Christo. You and films just don't get on at all.

Oh we do. I just often like different filns to you. Subjective see.

Greatest Films Of All Time You Have Never Seen on 17:10 - Nov 30 with 2221 viewskarnataka

17/100 and 37 I'd never even heard of!
Greatest Films Of All Time You Have Never Seen on 17:48 - Nov 30 with 2212 viewsHobo_Rodin

Bring me the head of Alfredo Garcia
Greatest Films Of All Time You Have Never Seen on 18:22 - Nov 30 with 2203 viewsHobo_Rodin

You should watch all godfather films back to back. That list is very eclectic can't work out the choices
Greatest Films Of All Time You Have Never Seen on 13:15 - Dec 1 with 2149 viewsjack_lord

Greatest Films Of All Time You Have Never Seen on 20:34 - Nov 27 by lifelong

I expected to see Dirty Grandpa on the list.

It will become a classic.

Lord_Jack increasingly detached from the riches of kicking a ball
Poll: The E U : Stay or Leave

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024