Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
No subject 18:48 - Jan 28 with 9564 viewsYossarian

Welsh Labour to give the vote to 16 year olds.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-42848685

As a Labour voter, I think this smacks of opportunism. I understand this generation are more apathetic than ever but are young people are more likely to vote for parties of the Left?

"Yossarian- the very sight of the name made him shudder.There were so many esses in it. It just had to be subversive" (Catch 22)

No subject on 20:00 - Jan 28 with 2853 viewsperchrockjack

Absolutely wro

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

No subject on 20:01 - Jan 28 with 2850 viewslondonlisa2001

No subject on 19:55 - Jan 28 by exiledclaseboy

I can see the argument for that but I disagree for the reasons I’ve already stated.
[Post edited 28 Jan 2018 19:56]

I was simply having fun not making a serious suggestion ...
No subject on 20:01 - Jan 28 with 2853 viewsexiledclaseboy

No subject on 20:00 - Jan 28 by perchrockjack

Absolutely wro

Yes. Don’t beat yourself up about it though

Poll: Tory leader

No subject on 20:02 - Jan 28 with 2850 viewsunion_jack

No subject on 19:48 - Jan 28 by exiledclaseboy

They did lower the voting age for the referendum. 16/17 were allowed to vote. Scotland still says no to independence.

Bugger! I thought they'd tried to do it but didn't get it through.

My faith in the age group has just got better!

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

No subject on 20:02 - Jan 28 with 2850 viewsLohengrin

No subject on 19:52 - Jan 28 by londonlisa2001

Age isn't any sort of indicator to such.

Well it often is dependent on the task, love.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

No subject on 20:04 - Jan 28 with 2844 viewsFlashberryjack

No subject on 19:20 - Jan 28 by exiledclaseboy

I think you’re underestimating some kids of that age at least. And let’s be honest, how many “of age” voters actually form anything like an informed opinion themselves?
[Post edited 28 Jan 2018 19:24]

Can you imagine Justin Bieber forming a government and Simon Cowell the opposition.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

No subject on 20:04 - Jan 28 with 2843 viewsperchrockjack

NG

Cock

Older people voted to leave

No subject on 20:04 - Jan 28 with 2842 viewslondonlisa2001

No subject on 20:02 - Jan 28 by Lohengrin

Maybe so, but we are talking about being an informed voter.
Login to get fewer ads

No subject on 20:07 - Jan 28 with 2840 viewsLohengrin

No subject on 20:04 - Jan 28 by londonlisa2001

Maybe so, but we are talking about being an informed voter.

How much would a child understand about the working world when they haven't experienced it? That's my point, I suppose.

No subject on 20:09 - Jan 28 with 2836 viewsexiledclaseboy

No subject on 20:07 - Jan 28 by Lohengrin

How much would a child understand about the working world when they haven't experienced it? That's my point, I suppose.

Probably as much as the average career politician these days.

Poll: Tory leader

No subject on 20:12 - Jan 28 with 2823 viewsLohengrin

No subject on 20:09 - Jan 28 by exiledclaseboy

Probably as much as the average career politician these days.

Aren't they all pretty 'average' now, more often not managing to scale mediocre?

EDIT: I'm doing it again! I'm just sat here reciting cliches by rote.
[Post edited 28 Jan 2018 20:15]

No subject on 20:17 - Jan 28 with 2803 viewsswanjackal

No subject on 20:04 - Jan 28 by Flashberryjack

Can you imagine Justin Bieber forming a government and Simon Cowell the opposition.

Still choose them over May or Corbyn :

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hypocritically hypocritical !

No subject on 20:17 - Jan 28 with 2802 viewsKilkennyjack

No subject on 19:35 - Jan 28 by Kilkennyjack

I am all for it.

These young bright people are the future, and have a stake in political decisions made now that have long term implications.

Much better to take the vote off anyone over 70 as well.
These old people are the past, and have little stake in the long term implications of political decisions made now.

I mean look at the Brexit nonsence....,

Wasting my time ...🎣

Beware of the Risen People

No subject on 20:19 - Jan 28 with 2792 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

18 is young enough

However my hope for a better country is lifted by the young voting more in the last election

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

No subject on 20:26 - Jan 28 with 2763 viewsDJack

No subject on 20:19 - Jan 28 by oh_tommy_tommy

18 is young enough

However my hope for a better country is lifted by the young voting more in the last election

Most 16/17 year olds won't vote but I would hope that it starts them thinking about the politics and gets them interested/invested in their future.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

No subject on 21:04 - Jan 28 with 2740 viewsFlashberryjack

No subject on 20:17 - Jan 28 by swanjackal

Still choose them over May or Corbyn :

Be careful what you wish for

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

No subject on 21:20 - Jan 28 with 2723 viewsPozuelosSideys

"Michu, Britton and Williams could have won 3-0 on their own. They wouldn't have required a keeper."
Poll: Hattricks

No subject on 23:56 - Jan 28 with 2688 viewsPrivate_Partz

No subject on 19:43 - Jan 28 by jack247

16 and 17 year olds are far easier to manipulate with Corbyns buy now pay later bullshit.

They’d give double votes to everyone on benefits if they could.

It's all been costed so don't worry about it.
We do not have to be the poor boys of Europe for ever and investment in Public Services and increases in taxes are allowed.
Austerity has failed. It is time for a change.
I still hear the odd desperate Tory telling us that it is all the fault of the nasty Labour Party almost 10 years after the world financial crisis but the excuse has worn very thin by now.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

No subject on 00:12 - Jan 29 with 2681 viewsPozuelosSideys

No subject on 23:56 - Jan 28 by Private_Partz

It's all been costed so don't worry about it.
We do not have to be the poor boys of Europe for ever and investment in Public Services and increases in taxes are allowed.
Austerity has failed. It is time for a change.
I still hear the odd desperate Tory telling us that it is all the fault of the nasty Labour Party almost 10 years after the world financial crisis but the excuse has worn very thin by now.

1.) What has been costed?
2.) Who are the poor boys of Europe? Wales? The UK? Suggest you go look at the rest of Europe. Particularly the South, Central and East.
3.) Investment in Public Services are primarily paid for by tax dollars from the private sector.
4.) Austerity has failed? The deficit is coming down and most key metrics suggest the trends are moving the right direction. If "time for change" is borrowing and spending, then you are not making any sense.
5.)The Labour party were at the wheel in 2008. They also signed off the bailing out of the banks. They also over borrowed, over spent and didnt for one second think about sticking cash in the savings account. You may also want to take a look at the UK debt and deficit when Labour took charge, and what they were when Labour lost power. Scary stuff

"Michu, Britton and Williams could have won 3-0 on their own. They wouldn't have required a keeper."
Poll: Hattricks

No subject on 09:53 - Jan 29 with 2580 viewsperchrockjack

Borrowing will go into the stratosphere should Johnny the Rebel be chancellor . Future generations will feel the pain not us .

We could go have are turn to British Rail ( inter city ) remember that, The Gas and Electric companies , Post Office,all run by politicians . Politicians

Kids, it wasn't better in those days

No subject on 10:04 - Jan 29 with 2565 viewsMrSwansea

No subject on 20:02 - Jan 28 by Lohengrin

SLAP HIM!

Arseholes. The lot of you.
Poll: Who has received a pay rise in line with inflation within the last three years?

No subject on 10:05 - Jan 29 with 2565 viewsBatterseajack

Being against this because you think the majority of 16 and 17 year olds won't vote for your party is a pretty weak argument. The onus is on the parties to appeal to these voters.
No subject on 10:17 - Jan 29 with 2559 viewsLohengrin

No subject on 10:05 - Jan 29 by Batterseajack

Being against this because you think the majority of 16 and 17 year olds won't vote for your party is a pretty weak argument. The onus is on the parties to appeal to these voters.

Let me put it to you this way: If you'd met me when I was sixteen you'd have met a kid who could have quoted great swathes of Hobbes or Aristotle at you. Bloody Hell! you may have thought? If ever a youngster warranted the vote it's this boy. Then after talking for a while it would begin to dawn on you that as clever as I may have appeared I'd have had no grasp on the value of money or what it took to earn it; I could have told you what George Bernard Shaw had to say about the nature of responsibility but I would never have felt the weight of it myself.

You see what I'm saying?

No subject on 10:32 - Jan 29 with 2532 viewsLohengrin

No subject on 10:04 - Jan 29 by MrSwansea

SLAP HIM!

Quick! back to the safe place....run!

EDIT: I do beg your pardon. I've just remembered it's 'space' not 'place'.

As you were.
[Post edited 29 Jan 2018 10:40]

No subject on 10:55 - Jan 29 with 2516 viewsBatterseajack

No subject on 10:17 - Jan 29 by Lohengrin

Let me put it to you this way: If you'd met me when I was sixteen you'd have met a kid who could have quoted great swathes of Hobbes or Aristotle at you. Bloody Hell! you may have thought? If ever a youngster warranted the vote it's this boy. Then after talking for a while it would begin to dawn on you that as clever as I may have appeared I'd have had no grasp on the value of money or what it took to earn it; I could have told you what George Bernard Shaw had to say about the nature of responsibility but I would never have felt the weight of it myself.

You see what I'm saying?

I hear you Lo as there has to be a limit to how young a person can be, but on the flip side, the younger generation have been let down politically for god knows how long because there's no votes in it for them. How else to tackle this than to give them a vote? It would also engage them in politics at a good age which could tackle the voting and political apathy that we have in this country.

I would also say they have more understanding of the world around them and a vested interest than many aging people with deteriorating minds.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024