Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Creeping Literal Pronunciation of "Mouth" In Football Team Names 12:06 - Feb 2 with 9705 viewsVetchitBack

Forget transfers windows and relegation. Many friends and colleagues are calling Bournemouth Bourne-mouth, Portsmouth Ports-mouth, Plymouth Ply-mouth etc.

Why? It is both incorrect and longer? The possibility of Americanism? Or just idiots with no sense of history?

Anyway it needs to stop. Now. You sound like tw@ts.
[Post edited 2 Feb 2016 12:07]

The orthodox are always orthodox, regardless of the orthodoxy.

The Creeping Literal Pronunciation of "Mouth" In Football Team Names on 16:50 - Feb 2 with 2096 viewsBanosswan

The Creeping Literal Pronunciation of "Mouth" In Football Team Names on 16:26 - Feb 2 by Glyn1

Shr - O - sbree or Shr - OOZE - bree?

Genuine question.

Not read the thread then?

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.
Poll: How do you like your steak?

The Creeping Literal Pronunciation of "Mouth" In Football Team Names on 18:42 - Feb 2 with 2066 viewsVetchitBack

And it's Berry not Burry (Bury FC)

The Creeping Literal Pronunciation of "Mouth" In Football Team Names on 19:29 - Feb 2 with 2055 viewsLeonisGod

The Creeping Literal Pronunciation of "Mouth" In Football Team Names on 13:57 - Feb 2 by lancasterswan

This series of ads still cracks me up

go to 5:30 for the point of me posting this....

never seen that before, very good
The Creeping Literal Pronunciation of "Mouth" In Football Team Names on 22:54 - Feb 2 with 2039 viewslancasterswan

The Creeping Literal Pronunciation of "Mouth" In Football Team Names on 19:29 - Feb 2 by LeonisGod

never seen that before, very good

Well, you have to see the original....

The Creeping Literal Pronunciation of on 23:35 - Feb 2 with 2026 viewsTummer_from_Texas

The Creeping Literal Pronunciation of "Mouth" In Football Team Names on 22:54 - Feb 2 by lancasterswan

Well, you have to see the original....

3:00

"Wales?? Wait that's another country?"

"Yes and no."

"How many countries are in this country?

"Four."

[Post edited 2 Feb 2016 23:37]

POTY 2015
Poll: Biggest signing so far in January? (just curious what Planet Swans thinks)

The Creeping Literal Pronunciation of "Mouth" In Football Team Names on 23:46 - Feb 2 with 2018 viewslancasterswan

The Creeping Literal Pronunciation of "Mouth" In Football Team Names on 14:44 - Feb 2 by karnataka

All old maps show the spelling as Shrowesbury, I have several having lived in Shropshire for 14 years. Spelling on things like maps was usually phonetic as they were done by hand and that was how it had been pronounced for centuries. I don't know when the spelling was finally agreed as Shrewsbury but as soon as it was and started to appear in print, no doubt people started pronouncing it Shroosbury especially those who didn't live there. I certainly heard it called both while I lived near there but it definitely tended to be the older and/or posher types who used the old pronunciation.

Hope this helps :-)

Helps a lot...very interesting thank you. It seems that there is no real 'right answer' then with some of these places. Another that comes to mind is North of the border, grEEnock morton or grennock morton.

My local favourite in N Lancs where I live now is a small village about 10 miles away called Oakenclough, pronounced locally as Clew, although it is so remote and unpopulated there are hardly any locals left to know what to call it. Then again there are three Claughtons in Lancashire I know of, one pronounced Claffton, one Clourrton and one Clyton
The Creeping Literal Pronunciation of "Mouth" In Football Team Names on 08:30 - Feb 3 with 1994 viewskarnataka

The Creeping Literal Pronunciation of "Mouth" In Football Team Names on 23:46 - Feb 2 by lancasterswan

Helps a lot...very interesting thank you. It seems that there is no real 'right answer' then with some of these places. Another that comes to mind is North of the border, grEEnock morton or grennock morton.

My local favourite in N Lancs where I live now is a small village about 10 miles away called Oakenclough, pronounced locally as Clew, although it is so remote and unpopulated there are hardly any locals left to know what to call it. Then again there are three Claughtons in Lancashire I know of, one pronounced Claffton, one Clourrton and one Clyton

Kent is good source of strange ones too as I learnt when I worked down there in the late 70s. Wrotham is pronounced root-em and Meopham is pronounced Mepp-em. Another I came across more up your neck of the woods where I did some work a couple of years ago was Barnoldswick which I heard someone call Barlick.
The Creeping Literal Pronunciation of "Mouth" In Football Team Names on 08:55 - Feb 3 with 1983 viewspriyasharma

I haven’t any word to appreciate this post.....Really i am impressed from this post....the person who create this post it was a great human..thanks for shared this with us.

[url=http://www.inkhabar.com/kartikeya-sharma]Kartikeya Sharma[/url]

Login to get fewer ads

The Creeping Literal Pronunciation of "Mouth" In Football Team Names on 09:59 - Feb 3 with 1975 viewsdickythorpe

Broughton beach in Llanmadoc, is it BROAR TUN, BROW TUN or BRUFF TUN
The Creeping Literal Pronunciation of "Mouth" In Football Team Names on 10:13 - Feb 3 with 1968 viewsWxmJax

The Creeping Literal Pronunciation of "Mouth" In Football Team Names on 16:26 - Feb 2 by Glyn1

Shr - O - sbree or Shr - OOZE - bree?

Genuine question.

Shrowsbury = Posh

Shroozebury = The rest of us (well we anyway).

A mate took a girl out from there and the first thing her mother wanted to know was how he pronounced it. Apparently Shroozebury didn't go down that well.

Poll: England, General Election: How are you going to vote ?

The Creeping Literal Pronunciation of "Mouth" In Football Team Names on 11:48 - Feb 3 with 1948 viewsJackFish

I've have a load of family and friends from Shrewsbury and not once have I heard them pronounce it "Shrowsberry", it's like the animal init.
The Creeping Literal Pronunciation of "Mouth" In Football Team Names on 15:07 - Feb 3 with 1914 viewsphact0rri

Some of the american pronunciations are quite shocking the amount of times I've tried to fix people saying 'Worcestershire', only to have some mates goad me at saying things-- despite them being correct.

Oh america-- good times.

Poll: Should EPL Refrees hold Post-Match Interviews

The Creeping Literal Pronunciation of "Mouth" In Football Team Names on 16:25 - Feb 3 with 1897 viewslancasterswan

Bill Bryson pointed out in his Notes from a Big Country I think that Norwich in new England used to be pronounced Norritch, similar to the city in Norfolk, UK. In recent decades incomers from other states have called it Nor-which and this has now become the accepted form.
The Creeping Literal Pronunciation of on 16:32 - Feb 3 with 1891 viewsFlashberryjack

The Creeping Literal Pronunciation of on 15:44 - Feb 2 by Pegojack

Who the feck's King Leo?

King Leo the Lion?

EDIT:

I wikied it, here's what it says:

The town takes its name from a minster, that is a community of clergy in the district of Lene or Leon, probably in turn from an Old Welsh root lei to flow.[2] Contrary to certain reports, the name has nothing to do with Leofric, an 11th-century Earl of Mercia (most famous for being the miserly husband of Lady Godiva). The Welsh name for Leominster, still used today by a few on the Welsh side of the nearby border, is Llanllieni.

I'm only posting all this guff because I'm nervous as hell about tonight and trying to distract myself. Setting off in ten minutes.
[Post edited 2 Feb 2016 15:48]

Next time I see my friend I'll pass on your kind words.

Now calm the f*ck down, it'll probably end up a one all draw anyway.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

The Creeping Literal Pronunciation of "Mouth" In Football Team Names on 16:41 - Feb 3 with 1888 viewsTreforys_Jack

The Creeping Literal Pronunciation of "Mouth" In Football Team Names on 14:13 - Feb 2 by Highjack

Camulodunum mun

Your fond of your Roman town names.
The Creeping Literal Pronunciation of "Mouth" In Football Team Names on 16:52 - Feb 3 with 1757 viewsVetchitBack

The Creeping Literal Pronunciation of "Mouth" In Football Team Names on 09:59 - Feb 3 by dickythorpe

Broughton beach in Llanmadoc, is it BROAR TUN, BROW TUN or BRUFF TUN

I've heard it's "Braw-ton" which is somewhat contradicted by its namesake "Brow-ton Avenue" in Blaenymaes.

The Creeping Literal Pronunciation of "Mouth" In Football Team Names on 17:15 - Feb 3 with 1748 viewsWxmJax

The Creeping Literal Pronunciation of "Mouth" In Football Team Names on 16:52 - Feb 3 by VetchitBack

I've heard it's "Braw-ton" which is somewhat contradicted by its namesake "Brow-ton Avenue" in Blaenymaes.

Funny, I was just about to comment on Brawton and saw this. Stupid cousin calls it Bruffton.

Ruff, change the R to a B

Bow, change the B to a C

Coff, change the C to a D

Doh

That's it, I've had enough

Poll: England, General Election: How are you going to vote ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024