Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Wales 13:24 - Oct 31 with 10435 viewspencoedjack

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63456797

Strange we want to be called by a name only a small % of the country speak.

Very small minded but I’m sure it will keep a few idiots happy.
Wales on 20:44 - Nov 4 with 1177 viewsReslovenSwan1

Wales on 13:17 - Nov 4 by Whiterockin

A lot of assumptions made there mate and wrongly so. I can understand quite a bit of Welsh but don't speak it fluently. My comment to her was only to put her in her place as I have done with many nationalities who I have worked with and speak their native tongue rudely in front of others. And yes this often happens in Wales by Welsh speakers particularly in North Wales. Finally I fabricate nothing, if I work with a small group of people and they speak in their language in front of another non speaker I will pull them up on it. Venturing into and Asian shop is different to working with someone. It's a matter of politeness and manners, if you don't understand that you should get out of your valley more.

So you do not speak Welsh very well. Possibly not enough to even discern if the lady was talking bout you or somebody else. I do not know if you are a big tough looking fellow but if you thought she was talking about you I guess you would be pretty angry and she pretty sacred. You certainly put her in her place.

If this story is true which i doubt it is no surprise she dares not talk Welsh in and around you anymore. She is probably terrified of you perhaps?. You do not sound too tolerant. A bully even.

I have spent plenty of time out of the valley and see some pretty major problems with your attitude. You could of course be talking about "the language business should be carried out in". This is however not what you are describing.

My mantra is that Welsh people should not live in fear and be free from discrimination and racial slurs. They can go anywhere on the planet and speak Welsh without being pulled up for it. Just like a Pakistani.

Wise sage since Toshack era

Wales on 20:44 - Nov 4 with 1181 viewsWhiterockin

Wales on 20:42 - Nov 4 by Kilkennyjack

Emails are cheaper than letters. 🇬🇧

Then why do we receive bilingual letters.

Poll: As things stand are you going to vote in the General Election

Wales on 20:48 - Nov 4 with 1172 viewsWhiterockin

Wales on 20:44 - Nov 4 by ReslovenSwan1

So you do not speak Welsh very well. Possibly not enough to even discern if the lady was talking bout you or somebody else. I do not know if you are a big tough looking fellow but if you thought she was talking about you I guess you would be pretty angry and she pretty sacred. You certainly put her in her place.

If this story is true which i doubt it is no surprise she dares not talk Welsh in and around you anymore. She is probably terrified of you perhaps?. You do not sound too tolerant. A bully even.

I have spent plenty of time out of the valley and see some pretty major problems with your attitude. You could of course be talking about "the language business should be carried out in". This is however not what you are describing.

My mantra is that Welsh people should not live in fear and be free from discrimination and racial slurs. They can go anywhere on the planet and speak Welsh without being pulled up for it. Just like a Pakistani.

Assumptions again and far from the facts . But you crack on with your feeble agenda.

Wales on 20:49 - Nov 4 with 1164 viewsonehunglow

Wales on 20:48 - Nov 4 by Whiterockin

Assumptions again and far from the facts . But you crack on with your feeble agenda.

Fflint Flint

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Wales on 20:51 - Nov 4 with 1154 viewsWhiterockin

Wales on 20:49 - Nov 4 by onehunglow

Fflint Flint

Wales on 20:53 - Nov 4 with 1139 viewsReslovenSwan1

Wales on 18:45 - Nov 4 by Kilkennyjack

Remember that pub you walked in and everybody switched from English to Welsh straight away ?

That story was bollox as well .. 🤣🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

Its an English trope and we should not stand for it. Some English detest Welsh being spoken in a Welsh shop in Anglesey They have no complaints at Pakistanis Bangladeshi Poles and Kurds speaking their language s in the English urban centres.

Wales on 20:54 - Nov 4 with 1143 viewsKilkennyjack

Wales on 20:18 - Nov 4 by Scotia

It is quite shocking really, but that is the reality.

It's more than having bilingual road signs and letters the indirect costs associated with the language is staggering.

I like the language, my daughter is in a Welsh school, but not the social engineering that goes with it.

It's the spoken language of rural areas nowadays. It's never been a language to do modern business in and never will be.

Here are some real costs for you …..

Buts lets be honest you dont care about the money really, you just want to diss the welsh language.

Only you are saying that Welsh is not going to be the business language of the world….. you can add almost all languages to that list, from Estonian, to Romanian, to Samoan. Everyone uses English as the business language but they still retain their own languages as well.

What people want for Welsh is normal.
[Post edited 4 Nov 2022 20:55]

Beware of the Risen People

Wales on 20:58 - Nov 4 with 1136 viewsKilkennyjack

Wales on 18:13 - Nov 1 by Catullus

Equality? Anyone who wants to is free to learn and speak Welsh, that is equality. What isn't equality is forcing it on people who don't want it, that's bullying.

900k Welsh speakers worldwide, wow, what a tiny number that equates to about 30% of the Welsh population

Its not a tiny number.

Login to get fewer ads

Wales on 20:58 - Nov 4 with 1129 viewsReslovenSwan1

Wales on 20:48 - Nov 4 by Whiterockin

You need to change your ways or else you will find your self up in front of a tribunal. We are all having to change including me. I do not want anyone to be forced to learn Welsh. The monogots should however lets those who do live their life as they see fit without being shamed or intimidated.
[Post edited 4 Nov 2022 21:01]

Wales on 21:00 - Nov 4 with 1127 viewsKilkennyjack

Wales on 13:28 - Nov 4 by onehunglow

We are in the same box on this subject
Some are stained for life by the narrowness of the valley .

Welsh is divisive.

This leads to hate posts .I can guarantee exactly the same posters will pop up soon and rip me. Well fark them . Many feel like me but have not the guts to aAdmit so but in fairness anyone doubting the welsh language and it’s relevancy is fair game.
No?

There is still clearly a huge gulf between Swansea people and rural villagers .This will apply to Cardiff an£ Newport, no the former industrial power houses which saw massive influx of foreigners. Which watered down welsh speaking.

This is why the furthest away from England sees the highest numbers of Welsh speakers and often ones who treat non welsh speakers with contempt. It’s also about speaking th3 right form of Welsh . We ve seen on here how it is perceived as what is good Welsh.

This is simply language snobbery and it’s the same as “ posh” English looking down on those with a strong r3gional accent.

God help us all

Welsh is not divisive.

Having 2 languages is normal in many countries.
I wonder how they do it…?

Wales on 21:02 - Nov 4 with 1120 viewsWhiterockin

Wales on 20:58 - Nov 4 by ReslovenSwan1

You need to change your ways or else you will find your self up in front of a tribunal. We are all having to change including me. I do not want anyone to be forced to learn Welsh. The monogots should however lets those who do live their life as they see fit without being shamed or intimidated.
[Post edited 4 Nov 2022 21:01]

Wales on 21:04 - Nov 4 with 1114 viewsKilkennyjack

Wales on 17:14 - Nov 4 by onehunglow

Your lad is to be commended for having sense .
There is a very strong Welsh lobby on here and like most minorities they feel intimidated and make up for it in utter cant.

There is clearly a warped snobbery on learning Welsh for many.
Hell,in north Cardiff ,it’s dinner party subject matter

Most Welsh just want a decent prosperous life and care not one turd about what language they speak,which is the one they were brought up to speak.

Questioning Welsh is like chucking a puppy into canal . You get that kind of reaction

This forum is English

I wonder how the language survived if people dont care what language they use. Mystery. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

Wales on 21:06 - Nov 4 with 1111 viewsKilkennyjack

Fflint Flint

Otherwise in welsh it would be pronounced Vlint ….

Lets agree on Fflint.
[Post edited 9 Nov 2022 23:40]

Wales on 21:24 - Nov 4 with 1083 viewsReslovenSwan1

Fflint Flint

You have Llanheledd. Llan Heledd the Church of Helen (Heledd in Welsh). It has meaning and history,. Heledd was probably a real person. I wil have to look it up. It is a town in the Gwent valleys south of Ebbw Vale. I n kow girl called Heledd wh worked in London. No one seems to have trouble with the name. There are a number of town called Lanhelen in France

This has been mangled to Lanhilleth by some Victorian map creator in the 1800s who have mad the word hard to pronounced for no apparent reason.

The sign reads Lanhilleth / Llanheledd. BBC called Dyfed "West Wales" so as not to inconvenience the English speakers. "it bloody Pekin as always will be as far as I am concerned".

Wales on 21:27 - Nov 4 with 1081 viewsScotia

Wales on 20:54 - Nov 4 by Kilkennyjack

Here are some real costs for you …..

Buts lets be honest you dont care about the money really, you just want to diss the welsh language.

Only you are saying that Welsh is not going to be the business language of the world….. you can add almost all languages to that list, from Estonian, to Romanian, to Samoan. Everyone uses English as the business language but they still retain their own languages as well.

What people want for Welsh is normal.
[Post edited 4 Nov 2022 20:55]

I don't hate the language at all. I like it in its place, but we need to be realistic about what that place is .

Regarding money, for the purposes of this thread, I'm only interested in what is wasted, and I mean wasted, on the language.

I've just advertised a very specific and technical job. It will be difficult to recruit to as not many of this profession exist worldwide. The job description has had to be translated and advertised in Welsh. Its advertised in about 10 publications, we've paid for two adverts in each. One English and one Welsh.

Nobody will read the Welsh version or apply for the job in Welsh. It's a waste of money.

If only every Estonian, Samoan and Romanian was completely fluent in English too? I'm pretty certain I know what language they would do business in.
Wales on 21:30 - Nov 4 with 1074 viewsWhiterockin

Wales on 21:27 - Nov 4 by Scotia

I don't hate the language at all. I like it in its place, but we need to be realistic about what that place is .

Regarding money, for the purposes of this thread, I'm only interested in what is wasted, and I mean wasted, on the language.

I've just advertised a very specific and technical job. It will be difficult to recruit to as not many of this profession exist worldwide. The job description has had to be translated and advertised in Welsh. Its advertised in about 10 publications, we've paid for two adverts in each. One English and one Welsh.

Nobody will read the Welsh version or apply for the job in Welsh. It's a waste of money.

If only every Estonian, Samoan and Romanian was completely fluent in English too? I'm pretty certain I know what language they would do business in.

The narrow minded can not understand the bigger picture.

Wales on 21:35 - Nov 4 with 1059 viewsunion_jack

Wales on 21:00 - Nov 4 by Kilkennyjack

Welsh is not divisive.

Having 2 languages is normal in many countries.
I wonder how they do it…?

Not divisive? Yet we’re on page 6 of some robust bickering concerning said language!

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Wales on 13:22 - Nov 5 with 983 viewsKilkennyjack

Wales on 21:35 - Nov 4 by union_jack

Not divisive? Yet we’re on page 6 of some robust bickering concerning said language!

Sticking up for a language and a culture that pre-dates the Romans is not being divisive.
Its guarding a rich heritage so it can be passed to the next genrations.

Makimg everything anglo-centric so that the Rhondda ends up like Essex is cultural vandalism and the Cymry has no alternative to holding its ground.

Please remember this when sticking Team GB where the sun dont shine. 🇬🇧
[Post edited 5 Nov 2022 21:36]

Wales on 13:42 - Nov 5 with 966 viewsunion_jack

Wales on 13:22 - Nov 5 by Kilkennyjack

Sticking up for a language and a culture that pre-dates the Romans is not being divisive.
Its guarding a rich heritage so it can be passed to the next genrations.

Makimg everything anglo-centric so that the Rhondda ends up like Essex is cultural vandalism and the Cymry has no alternative to holding its ground.

Please remember this when sticking Team GB where the sun dont shine. 🇬🇧
[Post edited 5 Nov 2022 21:36]

Things are Anglo-centric because that’s how it has evolved naturally. If the majority people wanted to live in the culture you believe we should then simply we would.

It’s a fact that more people living in Wales identify with being British and hence support for a Team GB. The narrower minded, insular and frankly bitter amongst you don’t want to believe that. There’s none so blind than those who won’t see. Ring a bell??

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Wales on 17:18 - Nov 5 with 921 viewsReslovenSwan1

Wales on 13:42 - Nov 5 by union_jack

Things are Anglo-centric because that’s how it has evolved naturally. If the majority people wanted to live in the culture you believe we should then simply we would.

It’s a fact that more people living in Wales identify with being British and hence support for a Team GB. The narrower minded, insular and frankly bitter amongst you don’t want to believe that. There’s none so blind than those who won’t see. Ring a bell??

Team GB is a trojan horse for FAW.

FIFA rules state that players in FIFA tournament can only play for one team at one time and cannot change based on strict rules.

The ONLY exception to this rule is Team GB 2012 Olympics (a one off). The only exception now is the Team GB ladies team. Welsh ladies will not have my support until they emphatically reject this abomination.

Compared to the England Wales Scotland and NI teams this team is of negligible importance despite the trumpetting of the BBC and others.

There should be no special case for UK women. Other nations should object especially those that see European and Brits as exploitative (there are many). Female player must select one or the other not both in my view.

Wales on 19:48 - Nov 5 with 873 viewsCatullus

Wales on 21:24 - Nov 4 by ReslovenSwan1

You have Llanheledd. Llan Heledd the Church of Helen (Heledd in Welsh). It has meaning and history,. Heledd was probably a real person. I wil have to look it up. It is a town in the Gwent valleys south of Ebbw Vale. I n kow girl called Heledd wh worked in London. No one seems to have trouble with the name. There are a number of town called Lanhelen in France

This has been mangled to Lanhilleth by some Victorian map creator in the 1800s who have mad the word hard to pronounced for no apparent reason.

The sign reads Lanhilleth / Llanheledd. BBC called Dyfed "West Wales" so as not to inconvenience the English speakers. "it bloody Pekin as always will be as far as I am concerned".

Heledd was a real person, a 7 Century Welsh princess, sister of King Cynddylan.

What is the relevance?

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Wales on 21:39 - Nov 5 with 831 viewsKilkennyjack

Wales on 17:18 - Nov 5 by ReslovenSwan1

Team GB is a trojan horse for FAW.

FIFA rules state that players in FIFA tournament can only play for one team at one time and cannot change based on strict rules.

The ONLY exception to this rule is Team GB 2012 Olympics (a one off). The only exception now is the Team GB ladies team. Welsh ladies will not have my support until they emphatically reject this abomination.

Compared to the England Wales Scotland and NI teams this team is of negligible importance despite the trumpetting of the BBC and others.

There should be no special case for UK women. Other nations should object especially those that see European and Brits as exploitative (there are many). Female player must select one or the other not both in my view.

Totally correct.

Wales on 00:58 - Nov 6 with 778 viewsReslovenSwan1

Wales on 19:48 - Nov 5 by Catullus

Heledd was a real person, a 7 Century Welsh princess, sister of King Cynddylan.

What is the relevance?

The village was named after her. It has meaning.

Once mangled and mutated for an English ear by and English cartographer it is nonsense. We have no need to accept this. The locals can pronounce it as they like. There is no need to change the name.

Wales on 09:52 - Nov 7 with 728 viewsKilkennyjack

I hope even our resident yoons will enjoy this one ….

Cymru am byth 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿❤️

Wales on 11:32 - Nov 7 with 707 viewsCountyJim

Wales on 09:52 - Nov 7 by Kilkennyjack

I hope even our resident yoons will enjoy this one ….

Cymru am byth 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿❤️

Just hope it gets in the charts ☺️
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024