Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Wales 13:24 - Oct 31 with 10436 viewspencoedjack

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63456797

Strange we want to be called by a name only a small % of the country speak.

Very small minded but I’m sure it will keep a few idiots happy.
Wales on 09:55 - Nov 4 with 888 viewsKilkennyjack

Wales on 08:11 - Nov 4 by Scotia

I've had learning it forced on me and am discriminated against by not being able to speak/read/write it to a certain level.

Would you feel the same in say France or Italy ?

The language of the nation seems a reasonable topic to learn if you live there.
Not essential, but certainly not something abstract.

Dal ati brawd. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

Beware of the Risen People

Wales on 10:06 - Nov 4 with 887 viewsBryanSwan

Wales on 08:11 - Nov 4 by Scotia

I've had learning it forced on me and am discriminated against by not being able to speak/read/write it to a certain level.

Please explain how? Not having a go, it is just that i am surprised that would be the case for anyone.

Poll: When will Russell Martin no longer be Swansea manager?

Wales on 11:10 - Nov 4 with 868 viewsWhiterockin

Wales on 09:30 - Nov 4 by ploppy

It allows us to talk about non-speakers when we don't want them to understand. That's what we do, apparently. Not because it's our mother tongue or anything.

I worked with a lady who used to bitch about others including myself in Welsh. After several months she was discussing something with another Welsh speaker and I told her I didn't agree. She asked me in Welsh if I spoke the language, I replied yes, but in would never do it in front of non speakers. She went scarlet when the thought entered her head that I understood what she had said about people and she never spoke Welsh in front of me again.

Poll: As things stand are you going to vote in the General Election

Wales on 12:50 - Nov 4 with 822 viewsReslovenSwan1

Wales on 11:10 - Nov 4 by Whiterockin

I worked with a lady who used to bitch about others including myself in Welsh. After several months she was discussing something with another Welsh speaker and I told her I didn't agree. She asked me in Welsh if I spoke the language, I replied yes, but in would never do it in front of non speakers. She went scarlet when the thought entered her head that I understood what she had said about people and she never spoke Welsh in front of me again.

You would never speak Welsh in front of non speakers. What a poodle. Why not are you embarrassed of yourself?. I do not believe this story at all, It sounds like a fabrication. Either that or you need to develop a back bone.

Many English and Welsh people simply do not like Welsh people speaking Welsh in Wales. I've heard this anecdote several times. The attitude stinks. "I am English and I expect you to speak only English in my presence" seem to be the stance. It will not wash these days a Welsh speakers realise that one English only speaker being present in crowd cannot be allowed to stop Welsh being spoken. English only speakers are everywhere.

I have been in numerous Asian shops where Pakistani languages or Kurdish is spoken and have no problem with that. It is noticeable that English people do not have a issue with that either. It is the Welsh they object to in Caernarfon not Gujarati in Slough.
[Post edited 4 Nov 2022 13:11]

Wise sage since Toshack era

Wales on 13:17 - Nov 4 with 822 viewsWhiterockin

Wales on 12:50 - Nov 4 by ReslovenSwan1

You would never speak Welsh in front of non speakers. What a poodle. Why not are you embarrassed of yourself?. I do not believe this story at all, It sounds like a fabrication. Either that or you need to develop a back bone.

Many English and Welsh people simply do not like Welsh people speaking Welsh in Wales. I've heard this anecdote several times. The attitude stinks. "I am English and I expect you to speak only English in my presence" seem to be the stance. It will not wash these days a Welsh speakers realise that one English only speaker being present in crowd cannot be allowed to stop Welsh being spoken. English only speakers are everywhere.

I have been in numerous Asian shops where Pakistani languages or Kurdish is spoken and have no problem with that. It is noticeable that English people do not have a issue with that either. It is the Welsh they object to in Caernarfon not Gujarati in Slough.

A lot of assumptions made there mate and wrongly so. I can understand quite a bit of Welsh but don't speak it fluently. My comment to her was only to put her in her place as I have done with many nationalities who I have worked with and speak their native tongue rudely in front of others. And yes this often happens in Wales by Welsh speakers particularly in North Wales. Finally I fabricate nothing, if I work with a small group of people and they speak in their language in front of another non speaker I will pull them up on it. Venturing into and Asian shop is different to working with someone. It's a matter of politeness and manners, if you don't understand that you should get out of your valley more.

Poll: As things stand are you going to vote in the General Election

Wales on 13:27 - Nov 4 with 813 viewsBryanSwan

Wales on 13:17 - Nov 4 by Whiterockin

A lot of assumptions made there mate and wrongly so. I can understand quite a bit of Welsh but don't speak it fluently. My comment to her was only to put her in her place as I have done with many nationalities who I have worked with and speak their native tongue rudely in front of others. And yes this often happens in Wales by Welsh speakers particularly in North Wales. Finally I fabricate nothing, if I work with a small group of people and they speak in their language in front of another non speaker I will pull them up on it. Venturing into and Asian shop is different to working with someone. It's a matter of politeness and manners, if you don't understand that you should get out of your valley more.

To be fair to you i wholly believe that people would talk about colleagues in a negative way and in thinking they didn't speak Welsh would be confident enough to do it in front of them.
I don't think that is much of a big deal as if they only spoke English they would no doubt just speak behind someones back instead. Colleagues almost always talk about each other in this manner.

Poll: When will Russell Martin no longer be Swansea manager?

Wales on 13:28 - Nov 4 with 812 viewsonehunglow

Wales on 13:17 - Nov 4 by Whiterockin

We are in the same box on this subject
Some are stained for life by the narrowness of the valley .

Welsh is divisive.

This leads to hate posts .I can guarantee exactly the same posters will pop up soon and rip me. Well fark them . Many feel like me but have not the guts to aAdmit so but in fairness anyone doubting the welsh language and it’s relevancy is fair game.
No?

There is still clearly a huge gulf between Swansea people and rural villagers .This will apply to Cardiff an£ Newport, no the former industrial power houses which saw massive influx of foreigners. Which watered down welsh speaking.

This is why the furthest away from England sees the highest numbers of Welsh speakers and often ones who treat non welsh speakers with contempt. It’s also about speaking th3 right form of Welsh . We ve seen on here how it is perceived as what is good Welsh.

This is simply language snobbery and it’s the same as “ posh” English looking down on those with a strong r3gional accent.

God help us all

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Wales on 13:55 - Nov 4 with 794 viewsCatullus

Wales on 21:51 - Nov 1 by BryanSwan

% wise probably not, but if you are providing a service to an entire country then x thousand of people should also be provided for. It isn't a massive expense to do so, so why should it not be done?

All letters only need to be in one language, give people the choice. It's that simple. If you want it in Welsh have it in Welsh, don't waste any money.

Times are very hard, all our bills are rising and we should look to save every penny and not try to justify why we waste it.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Login to get fewer ads

Wales on 16:03 - Nov 4 with 750 viewsRichardO

Wales on 13:55 - Nov 4 by Catullus

All letters only need to be in one language, give people the choice. It's that simple. If you want it in Welsh have it in Welsh, don't waste any money.

Times are very hard, all our bills are rising and we should look to save every penny and not try to justify why we waste it.

Agree but could you imagine the outcry if the wrong language letter was sent.
Maybe time to learn Welsh, did try to encourage the children to learn but maybe they didn't see any advantage could be had speaking Welsh.
The wife learnt sign language and I remember going to the Havester next to the Stoke ground she felt guilty eavesdropping on a couple communicating in sign so she introduce herself and they were so happy to have a conversation with someone not in their relatively small group.
Remember if you can communicate, whatever language, someone might need it and would be grateful, some might tell you burger off!
Wales on 16:44 - Nov 4 with 735 viewsCatullus

Wales on 16:03 - Nov 4 by RichardO

Agree but could you imagine the outcry if the wrong language letter was sent.
Maybe time to learn Welsh, did try to encourage the children to learn but maybe they didn't see any advantage could be had speaking Welsh.
The wife learnt sign language and I remember going to the Havester next to the Stoke ground she felt guilty eavesdropping on a couple communicating in sign so she introduce herself and they were so happy to have a conversation with someone not in their relatively small group.
Remember if you can communicate, whatever language, someone might need it and would be grateful, some might tell you burger off!

If a wrong letter is sent.....REALLY? If that happened surely it's a minor thing and only a complete Welshnat twunt would complain! Surely not wasting money and therefore spending it saving peoples lives is more important than a letter coming in English instead of Welsh?

I literally dont know anyone (personally) who uses Welsh at all never mind as a first language. My 14 year old son pays no attention in Welsh lessons, despite my prevailing attitude on here I have tried telling him he should learn but he sees no point because, as I have said before, he doesn't see his long term future inside Wales. Wht learn Welsh when, in his eyes, Spanish is far more relevant.

Whenever I travel abroad I try to learn a bit of the lingo so I can get by, So that's French, Spanish and Greek though going to Russia, Cyrillic was way too hard. In all those places though (besides Russia) people have spoken enough English so that it was easy to get by.

If people want to learn Welsh then great, it's up to them.

Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?

Wales on 17:12 - Nov 4 with 718 viewsRichardO

Wales on 16:44 - Nov 4 by Catullus

If a wrong letter is sent.....REALLY? If that happened surely it's a minor thing and only a complete Welshnat twunt would complain! Surely not wasting money and therefore spending it saving peoples lives is more important than a letter coming in English instead of Welsh?

I literally dont know anyone (personally) who uses Welsh at all never mind as a first language. My 14 year old son pays no attention in Welsh lessons, despite my prevailing attitude on here I have tried telling him he should learn but he sees no point because, as I have said before, he doesn't see his long term future inside Wales. Wht learn Welsh when, in his eyes, Spanish is far more relevant.

Whenever I travel abroad I try to learn a bit of the lingo so I can get by, So that's French, Spanish and Greek though going to Russia, Cyrillic was way too hard. In all those places though (besides Russia) people have spoken enough English so that it was easy to get by.

"If the wrong letter got sent.....REALLY?"
No, thought you may have worked that out, don't want to see money wasted on extra paper or the clean up operations on the road when drivers don't understand hazard warnings on limited road signs which can not display both English and Welsh adequately either.(Road signs only "needed" in English?)
[Post edited 4 Nov 2022 17:27]
Wales on 17:14 - Nov 4 with 717 viewsonehunglow

Wales on 16:44 - Nov 4 by Catullus

Your lad is to be commended for having sense .
There is a very strong Welsh lobby on here and like most minorities they feel intimidated and make up for it in utter cant.

There is clearly a warped snobbery on learning Welsh for many.
Hell,in north Cardiff ,it’s dinner party subject matter

Most Welsh just want a decent prosperous life and care not one turd about what language they speak,which is the one they were brought up to speak.

Questioning Welsh is like chucking a puppy into canal . You get that kind of reaction

This forum is English

Wales on 17:33 - Nov 4 with 708 viewsScotia

Wales on 09:55 - Nov 4 by Kilkennyjack

Would you feel the same in say France or Italy ?

The language of the nation seems a reasonable topic to learn if you live there.
Not essential, but certainly not something abstract.

Dal ati brawd. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

Yes.
Wales on 17:44 - Nov 4 with 702 viewsScotia

Wales on 10:06 - Nov 4 by BryanSwan

Please explain how? Not having a go, it is just that i am surprised that would be the case for anyone.

Because in my organisation every job has to be assessed against the Welsh language requirements of that job and the organisation.

Not just in necessity to be able to do the job but purely for numbers of Welsh speakers in the organisation to satisfy a quota.

That means roughly 30% of roles are require you to be fluent in spoken Welsh with probably 10% a fluent speaker and be able to read and write Welsh.

We employ people in roles purely to make up the language numbers, we've got completely incompetent managers handling multi million pound contracts for no other reason than they make up that 10%.

I was forced to learn to claim I was fluent. I'll never be able to read and write Welsh. So I'm probably excluded from even applying for about 15% of advertised jobs because I don't speak Welsh.

I honestly wouldn't mind if it was needed. But in 22 years of working for the same organisation guess how many times I would have needed to be able to speak Welsh, let alone read or write it?
Wales on 18:38 - Nov 4 with 672 viewsunion_jack

The CEO of an organisation I worked for some years ago now was asked if he spoke Welsh in his interview. He replied in Welsh ‘no I’m sorry I don’t speak Welsh’. And he really didn’t.

However, not one of the interview panel spoke Welsh either so they didn’t question him beyond that!

Oh, how we laughed😂

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Wales on 18:39 - Nov 4 with 668 viewsKilkennyjack

Wales on 12:50 - Nov 4 by ReslovenSwan1

Fair play, brilliant post.

Tidy.

Poodle … 🤣
[Post edited 4 Nov 2022 20:43]

Wales on 18:45 - Nov 4 with 653 viewsKilkennyjack

Wales on 18:38 - Nov 4 by union_jack

The CEO of an organisation I worked for some years ago now was asked if he spoke Welsh in his interview. He replied in Welsh ‘no I’m sorry I don’t speak Welsh’. And he really didn’t.

However, not one of the interview panel spoke Welsh either so they didn’t question him beyond that!

Oh, how we laughed😂

Remember that pub you walked in and everybody switched from English to Welsh straight away ?

That story was bollox as well .. 🤣🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

Wales on 18:45 - Nov 4 with 653 viewsCatullus

Wales on 17:44 - Nov 4 by Scotia

Because in my organisation every job has to be assessed against the Welsh language requirements of that job and the organisation.

Not just in necessity to be able to do the job but purely for numbers of Welsh speakers in the organisation to satisfy a quota.

That means roughly 30% of roles are require you to be fluent in spoken Welsh with probably 10% a fluent speaker and be able to read and write Welsh.

We employ people in roles purely to make up the language numbers, we've got completely incompetent managers handling multi million pound contracts for no other reason than they make up that 10%.

I was forced to learn to claim I was fluent. I'll never be able to read and write Welsh. So I'm probably excluded from even applying for about 15% of advertised jobs because I don't speak Welsh.

I honestly wouldn't mind if it was needed. But in 22 years of working for the same organisation guess how many times I would have needed to be able to speak Welsh, let alone read or write it?

In 22 years.....less than 5? Possibly none at all.

People go on about Britnats but to be honest, any kind of rabid nationalism is always a signifier of problems, either coming or already here.

What we see now is Welshnat virtue signalling, you're a better Welsh person if you speak Welsh. You're jot a good Welsh person if you criticise the Senedd...it's all nonsense.

Whoever runs the country what I want is for living standards to improve, for health care and education to be better, for crime to be reduced and the criminals to be dealt with. If people want to learn a language, any language, then great for them but don't do this anti-English thing. it doesn't make you a good Welsh person but it does make you look like a distinctly poor person filled with bigotry.

No sheep were harmed in the making of this post. Any resemblance to any sheep sha&&er past or present is purely coincidental.

Wales on 18:47 - Nov 4 with 646 viewsunion_jack

Wales on 18:45 - Nov 4 by Kilkennyjack

Remember that pub you walked in and everybody switched from English to Welsh straight away ?

That story was bollox as well .. 🤣🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

Oh, I’m sorry, I didn’t know you were at the interview.

And I’d believed it all these years😉

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Wales on 19:05 - Nov 4 with 629 viewsScotia

Wales on 18:45 - Nov 4 by Catullus

In 22 years.....less than 5? Possibly none at all.

People go on about Britnats but to be honest, any kind of rabid nationalism is always a signifier of problems, either coming or already here.

What we see now is Welshnat virtue signalling, you're a better Welsh person if you speak Welsh. You're jot a good Welsh person if you criticise the Senedd...it's all nonsense.

Whoever runs the country what I want is for living standards to improve, for health care and education to be better, for crime to be reduced and the criminals to be dealt with. If people want to learn a language, any language, then great for them but don't do this anti-English thing. it doesn't make you a good Welsh person but it does make you look like a distinctly poor person filled with bigotry.

No sheep were harmed in the making of this post. Any resemblance to any sheep sha&&er past or present is purely coincidental.

Cat I'd say it's an honest 0.5. So pretty much bang on.

I once answered the phone (in Welsh, because everyone has to, even if they can't speak it) and the caller carried on speaking in Welsh. I said I couldn't speak Welsh but could direct him to someone who could. He was happy to speak to me in English.

My team cover Carmarthenshire, North Pembs and until about 5 years ago Ceredigion. All Welsh speaking areas.

I've never received any written correspondence in Welsh.
Wales on 19:10 - Nov 4 with 622 viewsonehunglow

Wales on 19:05 - Nov 4 by Scotia

Cat I'd say it's an honest 0.5. So pretty much bang on.

I once answered the phone (in Welsh, because everyone has to, even if they can't speak it) and the caller carried on speaking in Welsh. I said I couldn't speak Welsh but could direct him to someone who could. He was happy to speak to me in English.

My team cover Carmarthenshire, North Pembs and until about 5 years ago Ceredigion. All Welsh speaking areas.

I've never received any written correspondence in Welsh.

What you be posted is shocking , or should be . The poorest region of the UK obsessing about what lingo to whinge in
Irony or what

Wales on 19:23 - Nov 4 with 606 viewslifelong

Wales on 19:10 - Nov 4 by onehunglow

What you be posted is shocking , or should be . The poorest region of the UK obsessing about what lingo to whinge in
Irony or what

It’s none the poorer for you fecking off and leaving it.
Wales on 20:18 - Nov 4 with 579 viewsScotia

Wales on 19:10 - Nov 4 by onehunglow

Irony or what

It is quite shocking really, but that is the reality.

It's more than having bilingual road signs and letters the indirect costs associated with the language is staggering.

I like the language, my daughter is in a Welsh school, but not the social engineering that goes with it.

It's the spoken language of rural areas nowadays. It's never been a language to do modern business in and never will be.
Wales on 20:18 - Nov 4 with 579 viewsonehunglow

Wales on 19:23 - Nov 4 by lifelong

It’s none the poorer for you fecking off and leaving it.

Bit late Rog. You been slaughtering Welsh fish again
Fish have feelings

Wales on 20:42 - Nov 4 with 564 viewsKilkennyjack

Wales on 13:55 - Nov 4 by Catullus

Emails are cheaper than letters. 🇬🇧

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024