Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Wales 13:24 - Oct 31 with 11216 viewspencoedjack

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63456797

Strange we want to be called by a name only a small % of the country speak.

Very small minded but I’m sure it will keep a few idiots happy.
Wales on 13:27 - Nov 1 with 1002 viewsKilkennyjack

Wales on 09:44 - Nov 1 by onehunglow

Maybe then all countries should follow suit .
Deutschland ,Magyaroszag ,Bulgarians ,Serbs using Cyrillic alphabet and the Hellenic Republic using Greek.

Well of course they do.

The Germans call themselves’Deutschland’ not the English ‘Germany’. 🇩🇪

Give me strength…. 🤣🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

Beware of the Risen People

Wales on 13:29 - Nov 1 with 998 viewsbuilthjack

Koln.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Wales on 13:38 - Nov 1 with 986 viewspencoedjack

Wales on 11:38 - Nov 1 by BarrySwan

Having travelled all around the World over the years I've found that very few people know where or what Wales is and the few that do, know our country as Wales.

And yet those handful lacking in self confidence and belief who seem to feel constantly oppressed by the English wish to reduce knowledge of our country worldwide to even lesser levels by calling our football team by a different name requested by no one other than a handful of language fanatics.

The same people who keep inflating the number of those speaking the language in order presumably to assure themselves of a false premise.

The Welsh language must be saved and if it increases in use amongst the population then all well and good.

However the language will be saved by encouragement and facilitating not by bullying, discriminating and legislation and by driving a wedge between those who speak the language and those who don't and those who don't wish to.

Creating a Welsh language jobs bubble and discriminating against the best part of probably 85% of the population is not only disgusting and wrong but drags standards in this country ever lower and this has to stop immediately.

As does the tail wagging the dog in matters such as this.

There was of course a Welsh language message board on previous incarnations of this site which demonstrated exactly the levels of Welsh language used as it fell into disuse and was abandoned through lack of use. And I mean no disrespect here to those handful who did and would have liked to continue to use such a forum.

The best way to help preserve and hopefully grow the Welsh language cannot possibly be by forcing kids from English speaking homes to use only Welsh Medium education or pretending that the supposed numbers of children using Welsh medium language education are using the language out of school to any great degree.

Or changing the name of the Welsh football team that has been requested or mooted by no more than a tiny vocal minority.

[Post edited 1 Nov 2022 11:59]

Top post.

As I said in the OP it will keep a few idiots happy, this sites top one being a prime example.
Wales on 14:36 - Nov 1 with 941 viewsReslovenSwan1

Wales on 11:38 - Nov 1 by BarrySwan

Having travelled all around the World over the years I've found that very few people know where or what Wales is and the few that do, know our country as Wales.

And yet those handful lacking in self confidence and belief who seem to feel constantly oppressed by the English wish to reduce knowledge of our country worldwide to even lesser levels by calling our football team by a different name requested by no one other than a handful of language fanatics.

The same people who keep inflating the number of those speaking the language in order presumably to assure themselves of a false premise.

The Welsh language must be saved and if it increases in use amongst the population then all well and good.

However the language will be saved by encouragement and facilitating not by bullying, discriminating and legislation and by driving a wedge between those who speak the language and those who don't and those who don't wish to.

Creating a Welsh language jobs bubble and discriminating against the best part of probably 85% of the population is not only disgusting and wrong but drags standards in this country ever lower and this has to stop immediately.

As does the tail wagging the dog in matters such as this.

There was of course a Welsh language message board on previous incarnations of this site which demonstrated exactly the levels of Welsh language used as it fell into disuse and was abandoned through lack of use. And I mean no disrespect here to those handful who did and would have liked to continue to use such a forum.

The best way to help preserve and hopefully grow the Welsh language cannot possibly be by forcing kids from English speaking homes to use only Welsh Medium education or pretending that the supposed numbers of children using Welsh medium language education are using the language out of school to any great degree.

Or changing the name of the Welsh football team that has been requested or mooted by no more than a tiny vocal minority.

[Post edited 1 Nov 2022 11:59]

Speaking Welsh is a qualification as is being bilingual. The ability to speak languages is just that "an ability". People who feel discriminated against are discriminated on the basis of "ability" not prejudice.

The last three leaders of Wales all speak / spoke Welsh . The Labour party seems to be a meritocracy perhap. Rhodri, Carwyn and Mark Dakeford. Good for them.

" I am discriminated against" in the line of "Stone cold losers" who lack ability to compete. I am sh*t at music and cannot play the guitar. Either genetic or laziness who knows?. Perhaps if i worked at it a 13 I could have been Ed Sheeran. We will never know.

Wales is one for the few remaining Celtic homelands, A tribe that dominated Europe for several centuries with n kindred spirits in France, Spain and possibly Russia.

Cymru am byth. This portal is s dominated with those that want Welsh culture exterminated. Happy some have fled over the dyke to the bosom of mother England. They throw muck from over the dyke like that French man in Monty Python just to create a stir. i do not understand why it is tolerated.
[Post edited 1 Nov 2022 14:39]

Wise sage since Toshack era

Wales on 14:43 - Nov 1 with 946 viewsunion_jack

Wales on 13:18 - Nov 1 by Kilkennyjack

S4c started in 1982.

We have been good for over 40 years. 👍

Go on then, answer the question.

Can it / does it fund itself?

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Wales on 14:56 - Nov 1 with 941 viewsBarrySwan

Wales on 14:36 - Nov 1 by ReslovenSwan1

Speaking Welsh is a qualification as is being bilingual. The ability to speak languages is just that "an ability". People who feel discriminated against are discriminated on the basis of "ability" not prejudice.

The last three leaders of Wales all speak / spoke Welsh . The Labour party seems to be a meritocracy perhap. Rhodri, Carwyn and Mark Dakeford. Good for them.

" I am discriminated against" in the line of "Stone cold losers" who lack ability to compete. I am sh*t at music and cannot play the guitar. Either genetic or laziness who knows?. Perhaps if i worked at it a 13 I could have been Ed Sheeran. We will never know.

Wales is one for the few remaining Celtic homelands, A tribe that dominated Europe for several centuries with n kindred spirits in France, Spain and possibly Russia.

Cymru am byth. This portal is s dominated with those that want Welsh culture exterminated. Happy some have fled over the dyke to the bosom of mother England. They throw muck from over the dyke like that French man in Monty Python just to create a stir. i do not understand why it is tolerated.

The 4 first ministers of Wales were Welsh speaking of course not 3.
[Post edited 2 Nov 2022 1:33]
Wales on 14:58 - Nov 1 with 933 viewsonehunglow

Show some respect .Cologne to others

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Wales on 15:03 - Nov 1 with 927 viewsonehunglow

Wales on 11:38 - Nov 1 by builthjack

If you want to converse in Welsh go for it.
65% won't understand it.
Go for it. Do it.

I don’t need to converse in Welsh. My family back home don’t either.
They are Swansea people not rural denizens who decide to follow us rather than a Midlands club.

It is simply language bullying and it’s why some actually detest Welsh .
Try Deeside for stats on welsh speaking.

1% speak it in Connah Quay

More division over a bluddy language

Login to get fewer ads

Wales on 15:05 - Nov 1 with 919 viewsReslovenSwan1

Wales on 14:43 - Nov 1 by union_jack

Go on then, answer the question.

Can it / does it fund itself?

It is a service not a profit cash business. Profits for independent TV stations come from sales and advertising. ITV is truly awful. I cannot believe how bad it is.

BBC is a different model as a service

Wales on 15:21 - Nov 1 with 920 viewsBarrySwan

Wales on 15:05 - Nov 1 by ReslovenSwan1

It is a service not a profit cash business. Profits for independent TV stations come from sales and advertising. ITV is truly awful. I cannot believe how bad it is.

BBC is a different model as a service

Of course no complaints by campaigners about licence payers massively subsiding this channel through their BBC licence fees and general taxes.

As one of the handful of people in Wales who actually bothers to watch S4C I know that I am well covered if I feel the need to watch yet another repeat of the previous years scintillating National Eisteddfod on prime time Saturday evening TV or if I need to buy a new Dormeo mattress through the overwhelming amount of English language advertising on the channel.

Shouldn't the pitiful proportion of its income that S4C receives through its advertising revenue streams be generated exclusively through adverts in the Welsh Language rather than all the English language adverts that feature?
[Post edited 2 Nov 2022 1:36]
Wales on 15:33 - Nov 1 with 916 viewsKilkennyjack

Wales on 15:21 - Nov 1 by BarrySwan

Of course no complaints by campaigners about licence payers massively subsiding this channel through their BBC licence fees and general taxes.

As one of the handful of people in Wales who actually bothers to watch S4C I know that I am well covered if I feel the need to watch yet another repeat of the previous years scintillating National Eisteddfod on prime time Saturday evening TV or if I need to buy a new Dormeo mattress through the overwhelming amount of English language advertising on the channel.

Shouldn't the pitiful proportion of its income that S4C receives through its advertising revenue streams be generated exclusively through adverts in the Welsh Language rather than all the English language adverts that feature?

When the uk government pays independently agreed reparations for its failed attempts to eradicate the welsh language from the face of the earth, then we can speak about the right model to fund S4C going forwards.

I would imagine the reparations due would more than cover the costs of several such stations for many decades.
The principle goes back to Roman times.

You cant go around smashing indigenous cultures into the dirt, and then mocking them when they need some help to recover from these injustices.

Happy to play the who pays for the welsh language game, but the yoons wont like the answers. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

Wales on 15:39 - Nov 1 with 908 viewsReslovenSwan1

Wales on 15:21 - Nov 1 by BarrySwan

I only watch S4C for the rugby and the football. i watch it more than ITV which is unwatchable dross with little local component.

I see the Welsh language as a Welsh equivalent of the English Royal family. Both are indulged for the good of the nation and part of identity building. A person proud of its identity is happier and more productive. Itis not there to make a profit.

I like to keep my local area nice and tidy. That is what engaged people do. Pride in your local community. Things that make the community a little bit different generate pride. Some of our regulars on here hates the differences and favour assimilation. Agitators committed to stirring up the locals. In Libya and Yemen and Bosnia they are very damaging people.

I watch a bit of the Eisteddfod. Most of it is dull to me but I picked up some interesting angles. Singers doing Welsh language version of Schubert an other composers. I am not qualified to speak about. I could see it was quality.

Wales on 17:00 - Nov 1 with 896 viewsBarrySwan

Wales on 15:39 - Nov 1 by ReslovenSwan1

I only watch S4C for the rugby and the football. i watch it more than ITV which is unwatchable dross with little local component.

I see the Welsh language as a Welsh equivalent of the English Royal family. Both are indulged for the good of the nation and part of identity building. A person proud of its identity is happier and more productive. Itis not there to make a profit.

I like to keep my local area nice and tidy. That is what engaged people do. Pride in your local community. Things that make the community a little bit different generate pride. Some of our regulars on here hates the differences and favour assimilation. Agitators committed to stirring up the locals. In Libya and Yemen and Bosnia they are very damaging people.

I watch a bit of the Eisteddfod. Most of it is dull to me but I picked up some interesting angles. Singers doing Welsh language version of Schubert an other composers. I am not qualified to speak about. I could see it was quality.

Thats correct, quality which S4C have decided that the viewers need to see over and over again.

And when the programmers think that we're fed up of that offering they are good enough to supplement the fare in the past with copious visits to the Young Farmers Eisteddfod as well just in case we weren't all Eisteddfoded out

I've no idea why very few people apart from myself and a handful of others tune in?
[Post edited 2 Nov 2022 1:26]
Wales on 17:01 - Nov 1 with 895 viewsKilkennyjack

Wales on 15:39 - Nov 1 by ReslovenSwan1

Spot on.

The unthinking posters might want to read this ….. and stop and think ….

Btw Kiev has recently been returned to Kyiv, and nobody has had to learn Ukrainian as a result. Amazeballs.

Wales on 17:09 - Nov 1 with 885 viewsKilkennyjack

Wales on 11:22 - Nov 1 by BarrySwan

Why do you keep repeating this complete and utter nonsense Keith?

Especially ridiculous when you're quoting it to those of us who live in Wales and know the score.
[Post edited 1 Nov 2022 11:22]

There are 900,000 welsh speakers world wide.

Lots of younger people now educated through welsh medium schools.

‘When all you've known is supremacy, then equality must seem like oppression’.

Wales on 17:12 - Nov 1 with 878 viewsKilkennyjack

Wales on 17:00 - Nov 1 by BarrySwan

Thats correct, quality which S4C have decided that the viewers need to see over and over again.

And when the programmers think that we're fed up of that offering they are good enough to supplement the fare in the past with copious visits to the Young Farmers Eisteddfod as well just in case we weren't all Eisteddfoded out

I've no idea why very few people apart from myself and a handful of others tune in?
[Post edited 2 Nov 2022 1:26]

More funding for S4C would result in better programmes.

I agree with you on that.

Wales on 17:38 - Nov 1 with 862 viewspencoedjack

Wales on 09:10 - Nov 1 by raynor94

When was the last time you heard someone in Swansea conversing in Welsh, be it shops restaurants or anywhere come to that

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Welsh_areas_by_percentage_of_Welsh-speak

They hear the 1 in 10 people no doubt (areas with the ability to speak Welsh)

There are only a few areas that anyone cares.
[Post edited 1 Nov 2022 17:39]
Wales on 18:02 - Nov 1 with 857 viewsCatullus

Wales on 13:09 - Nov 1 by Kilkennyjack

Every day where i work in Swansea.
🤷‍♂️

Really, because I have been working in the town centre 5 days a week for the last 9 months and I very rarely hear Welsh spoken. I hear African tongues, Eastern European and Asian tongues but hardly ever any Welsh, not even in the Market.

Swansea is very cosmopolitan these days

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Wales on 18:07 - Nov 1 with 854 viewsonehunglow

Wales on 18:02 - Nov 1 by Catullus

Really, because I have been working in the town centre 5 days a week for the last 9 months and I very rarely hear Welsh spoken. I hear African tongues, Eastern European and Asian tongues but hardly ever any Welsh, not even in the Market.

Swansea is very cosmopolitan these days

As I said Welsh was only used in the market with the cockle women and those that traveled in from outlying valleys.
Swansea Cardiff Newport ,biggest cities and least Welsh spoken
The language certainly attracts wild assumptions
Finally ,anyone in Swansea like S4c and what it shows ?
All the big blockbuster films in English
It’s the international language
Know it

Wales on 18:13 - Nov 1 with 854 viewsCatullus

Wales on 17:09 - Nov 1 by Kilkennyjack

There are 900,000 welsh speakers world wide.

Lots of younger people now educated through welsh medium schools.

‘When all you've known is supremacy, then equality must seem like oppression’.

Equality? Anyone who wants to is free to learn and speak Welsh, that is equality. What isn't equality is forcing it on people who don't want it, that's bullying.

900k Welsh speakers worldwide, wow, what a tiny number that equates to about 30% of the Welsh population

Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?

Wales on 18:25 - Nov 1 with 848 viewsonehunglow

Wales on 18:13 - Nov 1 by Catullus

Equality? Anyone who wants to is free to learn and speak Welsh, that is equality. What isn't equality is forcing it on people who don't want it, that's bullying.

900k Welsh speakers worldwide, wow, what a tiny number that equates to about 30% of the Welsh population

Not so much bullying but language shaming .
The contempt is evident here

Wales on 18:42 - Nov 1 with 829 viewsCatullus

Wales on 14:36 - Nov 1 by ReslovenSwan1

Hang on now, you said.... People who feel discriminated against are discriminated on the basis of "ability" not prejudice...try that again!

What has "dominated Europe for several centuries" got to do with anything. The Romans dominated most of the known worl for even longer, maybe we should all be speaking Latin? By the way, in current scholarly circles being called Celts is more about speaking similar languages than being the same ethnic group.

Nobody on here wants Welsh culture exterminated, thats more nonsense hyperbole. The very pinnacle of Welsh culture, the Eisteddfod, something all proud Welsh people should attend draws approximately 150k visitors.

Wales on 18:44 - Nov 1 with 828 viewslifelong

Isn’t it wonderful that the Welsh language is still around despite English teachers beating children to stop them speaking it.
Wales on 19:04 - Nov 1 with 806 viewsbuilthjack

Wales on 15:03 - Nov 1 by onehunglow

I don’t need to converse in Welsh. My family back home don’t either.
They are Swansea people not rural denizens who decide to follow us rather than a Midlands club.

It is simply language bullying and it’s why some actually detest Welsh .
Try Deeside for stats on welsh speaking.

1% speak it in Connah Quay

More division over a bluddy language

Here we go. He says it again. Anyone not from Swansea shouldn’t support the club.
That’s me Keith and Loyal out.
I would call you twp if allowed, but I can’t, so I will think it.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Wales on 19:57 - Nov 1 with 777 viewsbennytheblue

Wales on 01:23 - Nov 1 by KeithHaynes

If you can’t believe the Welsh govt ,,, ?
Sorry Cymru.

Do you? No chance, Plaid Cymru little deals with Drakeford to try and promote the language bla bla, they can force it on kids all they want but it’s pointless when your over the age of 18 less you want to move to Carmarthen and work for s4c or hang about with the north wales crew in whatever pub in cardiff they currently use…..
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024