Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
England this evening. 19:03 - Jun 4 with 5182 viewsBigKindo

Well my just how boring were England today. Usual excuses coming up "Well they have had a long season etc etc" Obvously going to the bank has taken its toll. Should donate their match fee to charity.
England this evening. on 19:24 - Jun 4 with 4415 viewsjudd

It was dire

Poll: What is it to be then?

England this evening. on 19:29 - Jun 4 with 4402 viewsJames1980

Don't they donate their match fee?

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: What does Jim need ?

England this evening. on 19:57 - Jun 4 with 4355 viewsdavidab2202

May be wrong in thinking they do give their match fees to a Charity or if not at present, they certainly have in the past
England this evening. on 20:34 - Jun 4 with 4310 viewsdiver

Cricket wasn’t boring !,
England this evening. on 21:02 - Jun 4 with 4261 viewsBigKindo

England this evening. on 19:24 - Jun 4 by judd

It was dire

He wasn't playing
England this evening. on 23:49 - Jun 4 with 4095 viewsSandyDrum

All England players donate 100% of their match fees to charity already.

It's an unwritten rule, Ben Foster talked about it in his podcast. No England player would even dare keep any of their match fee.

Wish I'd chosen a different username...

England this evening. on 09:43 - Jun 5 with 3884 viewsdingdangblue

Couldn't care less about friendlies. We are qualifying for tournaments and getting to semi finals/finals which is what matters.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

England this evening. on 09:56 - Jun 5 with 3873 viewsrichfoad32

England this evening. on 09:43 - Jun 5 by dingdangblue

Couldn't care less about friendlies. We are qualifying for tournaments and getting to semi finals/finals which is what matters.

This. I had it on in the background and watched in a half assed kind of way and it certainly didn't seem a lot different to many other England performances. And just coming off the back of a 22 game unbeaten run it seems a bit harsh to jump on one poor result.
Login to get fewer ads

England this evening. on 20:15 - Jun 14 with 3207 views442Dale

If he doesn’t play actual left backs at left back in the final two games before the World Cup, then Southgate should be replaced by Tony Pulis.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

England this evening. on 21:20 - Jun 14 with 3072 views442Dale

Yes it’s a series of glorified friendlies after a long season but there is a lot to concern both Southgate and England fans in general right now. They seem to be very unsure what sort of side they are all of a sudden (sounds familiar) and the plethora of players who can all play similar roles are leading to nobody standing out.
Defensively we are a real worry. Centrally there is no dominant player who organises effectively.

If they come back and win 3-2, the flags can be put on cars again.

Edit: 4-3.
[Post edited 14 Jun 2022 21:27]

England this evening. on 21:24 - Jun 14 with 3053 viewsisitme

England this evening. on 21:20 - Jun 14 by 442Dale

Yes it’s a series of glorified friendlies after a long season but there is a lot to concern both Southgate and England fans in general right now. They seem to be very unsure what sort of side they are all of a sudden (sounds familiar) and the plethora of players who can all play similar roles are leading to nobody standing out.
Defensively we are a real worry. Centrally there is no dominant player who organises effectively.

If they come back and win 3-2, the flags can be put on cars again.

Edit: 4-3.
[Post edited 14 Jun 2022 21:27]

Every team needs a Cavanagh!

It is awful. Too slow, too much BBM ball. There are a number of really good players but the system and lack of viable options in others shows.

Great finish for the third.
England this evening. on 21:29 - Jun 14 with 3020 viewsboromat

None of the players given a chance have really taken their chances. I think the world cup squad might look very similar to the euros squad at this rate. Struggling to see where goals come from if not Kane regardless of who gets picked.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

England this evening. on 21:32 - Jun 14 with 3007 views442Dale

It’s no wonder Dorries gets so annoyed with Channel 4.

England this evening. on 21:32 - Jun 14 with 3005 viewsJames1980

Like watching BBM's Rochdale on a bad day

England this evening. on 22:30 - Jun 14 with 2877 viewsmikehunt

A decent team played tonight I can’t think of a single excuse for getting dicked like that tonight. Happen if those bloody Magyars go on to win the World Cup

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

England this evening. on 22:42 - Jun 14 with 2859 views49thseason

Lacklustre would be an over enthusiastic description. What decent premiership player wants to be involved in a confected competition just after a long season? An injury would be catastrophic, your mates are all texting you from a Mexican beach and laughing at you, and Mr Spreadsheet is filling your head with tactical bullshit and playing you out of position. Foden and Grealish can't get much more than half an hour on the pitch and the referees can't decide what a foul actually is. No wonder Vardy told Southgate to stick his England team where the sun don't shine. It's just a pity the rest of them dont have a pair between them. The lack of respect for the manager is palpable and with good reason.
England this evening. on 22:54 - Jun 14 with 2805 viewsD_Alien

England this evening. on 22:42 - Jun 14 by 49thseason

Lacklustre would be an over enthusiastic description. What decent premiership player wants to be involved in a confected competition just after a long season? An injury would be catastrophic, your mates are all texting you from a Mexican beach and laughing at you, and Mr Spreadsheet is filling your head with tactical bullshit and playing you out of position. Foden and Grealish can't get much more than half an hour on the pitch and the referees can't decide what a foul actually is. No wonder Vardy told Southgate to stick his England team where the sun don't shine. It's just a pity the rest of them dont have a pair between them. The lack of respect for the manager is palpable and with good reason.

Just had a look, and standard tickets were priced between £30-65

Expect those in attendance felt like they'd been mugged

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

England this evening. on 23:05 - Jun 14 with 2758 viewsSandyman

0-3 down, bring Maguire on.
0-4 down.
FRMSE-esque.

Southgate is better than this. Unless he's lost the plot.

At least coach Brendon McCullum and captain Ben Stokes led one England team to a magnificent victory over one of the best teams in the World today with a "No Fear" attacking policy.
England this evening. on 00:23 - Jun 15 with 2680 viewsSandyDrum

I paid £35 for my ticket + £25 return train ticket.

Luckily an afternoon on the beers in Wolverhampton softened the blow and honestly, after the past couple of seasons I’m quite numb to poor performances and getting beaten comfortably anyway.

But yeah, the atmosphere in the ground was quite toxic and the chants of “you don’t know what you’re doing” were very, very audible in the stadium.

I was there for the Euro Semi Final and I was there tonight, 2 very different types of “I was there” evenings.

Wish I'd chosen a different username...

England this evening. on 10:24 - Jun 15 with 2377 views49thseason

England this evening. on 22:54 - Jun 14 by D_Alien

Just had a look, and standard tickets were priced between £30-65

Expect those in attendance felt like they'd been mugged

Imagine taking your son or daughter to their first game last night and forcing them to watch that, it was like walking football... similar to proper football but lacking pace and urgency and not much at stake. Shocking really.
England this evening. on 11:19 - Jun 15 with 2307 viewsAtThePeake

Some of the criticism is still way over the top for me given that just over a year ago we came within a penalty shoot-out of winning a first trophy for almost 60 years. We may be boring to watch, but most international teams are boring to watch. It's hard to implement a proper attack-minded style when you get such limited time with players. Teams that have done well in international tournaments in recent years (England included) have shown that the most effective method of getting results is to focus on being defensively sound first and foremost.

It was embarrassing last night, but the truth is that nobody will remember this game if we win all three group games come November, they're the games that matter.

Tangled up in blue.

England this evening. on 11:28 - Jun 15 with 2294 viewsJames1980

I reckon a number of those calling for Southgate to be sacked. Want him to go regardless of how successful the team is but have to bite their tongues when the team puts in a good shift. Because of what they believe Southgate and his England team represent.

England this evening. on 14:19 - Jun 15 with 2130 viewsmidlandsdale

Had Mancini been the England manager against Italy we would have won last years final. Southgate for all his personal likes isn't up to it at the highest level. He doesn't know how to best use what is a very talented squad at his disposal.

Had Venables or Hoddle been in charge of this bunch we probably would have already won something.
England this evening. on 14:32 - Jun 15 with 2118 viewsAtThePeake

England this evening. on 14:19 - Jun 15 by midlandsdale

Had Mancini been the England manager against Italy we would have won last years final. Southgate for all his personal likes isn't up to it at the highest level. He doesn't know how to best use what is a very talented squad at his disposal.

Had Venables or Hoddle been in charge of this bunch we probably would have already won something.

How talented is this squad though?

When you compare our best XI now to the team that beat Germany 5-1 in 2001 for example (and won only two games at the following year's World Cup), how many of our current squad would get in the starting XI?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001_Germany_v_England_football_match#Match

I'd argue Sterling and Kane over Barmby and Heskey, but I'm struggling beyond that. Maybe Walker over Neville? But then, McManaman, Cole and Fowler are on the bench there and I'm sure many would have argued at the time that they should have been in the starting XI over Barmby and Heskey too.

I'm genuinely intrigued as to whether I overestimate the ability of the players in that generation compared to the current crop as it was when I first started to take an interest in football whereas I feel pretty disconnected from the Premier League at the moment. Or is our current crop not actually as good as it seems and expectations are higher based on some relatively deep runs in tournaments?

Tangled up in blue.

England this evening. on 14:58 - Jun 15 with 2072 viewsD_Alien

England this evening. on 14:32 - Jun 15 by AtThePeake

How talented is this squad though?

When you compare our best XI now to the team that beat Germany 5-1 in 2001 for example (and won only two games at the following year's World Cup), how many of our current squad would get in the starting XI?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001_Germany_v_England_football_match#Match

I'd argue Sterling and Kane over Barmby and Heskey, but I'm struggling beyond that. Maybe Walker over Neville? But then, McManaman, Cole and Fowler are on the bench there and I'm sure many would have argued at the time that they should have been in the starting XI over Barmby and Heskey too.

I'm genuinely intrigued as to whether I overestimate the ability of the players in that generation compared to the current crop as it was when I first started to take an interest in football whereas I feel pretty disconnected from the Premier League at the moment. Or is our current crop not actually as good as it seems and expectations are higher based on some relatively deep runs in tournaments?

I tend to think that the best players will naturally be concentrated in those teams reaching the finals of European club tournaments

So off the top of my head that'd include Kane, Sterling, Stones, Foden, Walker, Mount, Henderson, Alexander-Arnold, Abraham... any others?

Extend that to European semifinals and it'd include Rice and Bowen

The comparison can then be made with previous squads, plus those of other countries such as Italy or Croatia who've beaten us at the last two major tournaments

In the end, it may well come down to who's coaching them at international level, but it's still difficult to be dismissive of Southgate's record (not suggesting you are) when we lost last summer on penalties. What was disappointing was the way we faded in both the Euro final and WC semi after taking an early lead

[Post edited 15 Jun 2022 15:05]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024