Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Remain With or Leave the EU 19:55 - Jun 2 with 134352 viewsunion_jack

Remain With or Leave the EU

Your Vote:

You need to be logged in to vote on our site polls

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Remain With or Leave the EU on 09:36 - Jun 16 with 1741 viewsjohnlangy

Remain With or Leave the EU on 20:18 - Jun 15 by exiledclaseboy

Thanks. This is far more like the truth.

Official EU voting records* show that the British government has voted ‘No’ to laws passed at EU level on 56 occasions, abstained 70 times, and voted ‘Yes’ 2,466 times since 1999, according to UK in a Changing Europe Fellows Sara Hagemann and Simon Hix.

In other words, UK ministers were on the “winning side” 95% of the time, abstained 3% of the time, and were on the losing side 2%. The Vote Leave campaign has counted another 16 votes between 1996 and 1998 where it says the UK was on the losing side, to bring its total up to 72. We haven’t been able to check this figure but the general picture won’t change much whether the number is 56 or 72.
So the UK government has actively supported 95% of the laws that originated from the EU since 1999.

Not the whole picture of course but them neither is implying that MEPs (sic) voting 72 times against a certain policy is in any way significant given the actual numbers.

Facts schmacts.
[Post edited 15 Jun 2016 20:23]

Well done ecb. I went looking for this stuff and couldn't find it.

A_Fans_Dad quoted the 72 with no reference to the number of times the UK were on the 'winning' side of a debate. Without the other figure for balance then the 72 is meaningless.

As you also rightly say, that's not the whole picture but anyone quoting numbers to support one side's arguments aren't really adding quality to the debate.
Remain With or Leave the EU on 09:49 - Jun 16 with 1717 viewsnice_to_michu

Remain With or Leave the EU on 09:36 - Jun 16 by johnlangy

Well done ecb. I went looking for this stuff and couldn't find it.

A_Fans_Dad quoted the 72 with no reference to the number of times the UK were on the 'winning' side of a debate. Without the other figure for balance then the 72 is meaningless.

As you also rightly say, that's not the whole picture but anyone quoting numbers to support one side's arguments aren't really adding quality to the debate.

Exactly.

Then AFD moved the goal posts as if nobody would notice.
Remain With or Leave the EU on 10:26 - Jun 16 with 1703 viewsexiledclaseboy

Remain With or Leave the EU on 09:30 - Jun 16 by VetchitBack

I actually like the idea of the EU in many ways. I will mourn the break up if it occurs despite having voted the other way.

I think a lot of honesty is needed. If the EU was a sort of Fortress Europe I'd be a committed Remainer.

But it seems to me to be big version of New Labour. Endlessly compassionate towards immigrants endlessly ignorant (or worse) towards the communities and people it effects. Endlessly compassionate towards criminals endlessly ignorant of victims.

A socially Right-wing or even centre-Right EU suspicious of Islamic expansionism would easily get my vote.

When you say "socially right wing" what would you like to see?

Poll: Tory leader

Remain With or Leave the EU on 10:43 - Jun 16 with 1686 viewsmonmouth

Remain With or Leave the EU on 10:26 - Jun 16 by exiledclaseboy

As you're lying in your cardboard box in the Strand, they give you a quid for a cup of tea before they kick you in he nuts?

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Remain With or Leave the EU on 10:46 - Jun 16 with 1686 viewsVetchitBack

Remain With or Leave the EU on 10:26 - Jun 16 by exiledclaseboy

Very little immgration outside EU unless it's highly skilled and needed.

Scrap the Free Movement of People as it simply punishes the poor from the more desirable countries and allows ease of movement for terrorists and criminals.

Scrap the Act. The fact that you've sired offspring (as a scumbag) should if anything be held against you not held up a reason why we can't deport/punish you.

Zero Islamic immigration till the religion reforms and faces up to and against its extreme elements and branches where nearly every crucial part of European civilisation is despised.

A sea-change in attitudes towards crime. An acceptance that crime is not solely the default response to poverty and with it an end to stigmatising all the poor as criminals. Sentencing which fits the crime with austere prisons that even the hardmen would fear going to.

The orthodox are always orthodox, regardless of the orthodoxy.

Remain With or Leave the EU on 11:05 - Jun 16 with 1656 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Remain With or Leave the EU on 10:46 - Jun 16 by VetchitBack

Very little immgration outside EU unless it's highly skilled and needed.

Scrap the Free Movement of People as it simply punishes the poor from the more desirable countries and allows ease of movement for terrorists and criminals.

Scrap the Act. The fact that you've sired offspring (as a scumbag) should if anything be held against you not held up a reason why we can't deport/punish you.

Zero Islamic immigration till the religion reforms and faces up to and against its extreme elements and branches where nearly every crucial part of European civilisation is despised.

A sea-change in attitudes towards crime. An acceptance that crime is not solely the default response to poverty and with it an end to stigmatising all the poor as criminals. Sentencing which fits the crime with austere prisons that even the hardmen would fear going to.

You will never, ever get any of that in the EU.
Remain With or Leave the EU on 11:10 - Jun 16 with 1649 viewsmonmouth

Remain With or Leave the EU on 11:05 - Jun 16 by A_Fans_Dad

Just to be clear though, there'll be none of that here outside the EU either.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Remain With or Leave the EU on 11:32 - Jun 16 with 1638 viewssherpajacob

Remain With or Leave the EU on 09:17 - Jun 16 by VetchitBack

Though maybe through the law of unintended consequences spiv lawyers have used the EU's laws to delay or stop the deportation of thoroughly frightening people.

The law of unintended consequences.
If we leave the Eu because of the votes of those who are concerned about immigration. It's possible the hard working Poles in bars, restaurants, car Washes, etc etc will go elsewhere.

Therefore to.fill these vacancies we will need immigrants from other countries, most likely commonwealth countries like Pakistan and those fleeing trouble spots like Syria, Libya and Afghanistan.

So the closet racists should really vote remain.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Login to get fewer ads

Remain With or Leave the EU on 11:34 - Jun 16 with 1634 viewslondonlisa2001

Remain With or Leave the EU on 11:05 - Jun 16 by A_Fans_Dad

Thank God for that.
Remain With or Leave the EU on 11:57 - Jun 16 with 1614 viewsDarran

I just had an awful thought.

If we do brexit who the f*cks going to wash my car?

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Remain With or Leave the EU on 12:14 - Jun 16 with 1593 viewsjojaca

Remain With or Leave the EU on 11:57 - Jun 16 by Darran

I just had an awful thought.

If we do brexit who the f*cks going to wash my car?

DIY

Even when you know, you never know?

Remain With or Leave the EU on 12:24 - Jun 16 with 1581 viewsHighjack

Remain With or Leave the EU on 11:32 - Jun 16 by sherpajacob

The law of unintended consequences.
If we leave the Eu because of the votes of those who are concerned about immigration. It's possible the hard working Poles in bars, restaurants, car Washes, etc etc will go elsewhere.

Therefore to.fill these vacancies we will need immigrants from other countries, most likely commonwealth countries like Pakistan and those fleeing trouble spots like Syria, Libya and Afghanistan.

So the closet racists should really vote remain.

Why do we need immigration to fill these vacancies when we have hundreds of thousands if not millions of unemployed people already here?

Have we got so snobby as a society that a job in a bar or a restaurant is somehow beneath the British people?

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Remain With or Leave the EU on 12:28 - Jun 16 with 1571 viewsnice_to_michu

Remain With or Leave the EU on 12:24 - Jun 16 by Highjack

Why do we need immigration to fill these vacancies when we have hundreds of thousands if not millions of unemployed people already here?

Have we got so snobby as a society that a job in a bar or a restaurant is somehow beneath the British people?

"Hundreds of thousands if not millions of unemployed people already here"

- you understand that we are nearly at what's termed "full employment"' right?
[Post edited 16 Jun 2016 12:28]
Remain With or Leave the EU on 12:32 - Jun 16 with 1559 viewsHighjack

Remain With or Leave the EU on 12:28 - Jun 16 by nice_to_michu

Yes that explains the 3000 strong queue at the new Aston Martin recruitment day in Cardiff. They must have all taken the day off work to attend.

You have proved me wrong. I concede to the government figures.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.

Remain With or Leave the EU on 12:36 - Jun 16 with 1543 viewssafe_jack

Remain With or Leave the EU on 12:32 - Jun 16 by Highjack

Yes that explains the 3000 strong queue at the new Aston Martin recruitment day in Cardiff. They must have all taken the day off work to attend.

You obviously do not understand economics
Remain With or Leave the EU on 12:36 - Jun 16 with 1540 viewsnice_to_michu

Remain With or Leave the EU on 12:32 - Jun 16 by Highjack

Yeh you're right. We should use your anecdotal experiences instead of official statistics.

Out of interest, where did you get the figures of millions unemployed then?
Remain With or Leave the EU on 12:42 - Jun 16 with 1530 viewssafe_jack

I find it rather odd how people who are distrustful of politicians, and voting leave, are willing to ignore expert advice in favour of politicians who they happen to agree with in this referendum.
Remain With or Leave the EU on 12:46 - Jun 16 with 1521 viewsHighjack

Remain With or Leave the EU on 12:36 - Jun 16 by nice_to_michu

Yeh you're right. We should use your anecdotal experiences instead of official statistics.

Out of interest, where did you get the figures of millions unemployed then?

The Jeremy Kyle show of course

Remain With or Leave the EU on 12:52 - Jun 16 with 1507 viewsnice_to_michu

Remain With or Leave the EU on 12:46 - Jun 16 by Highjack

The Jeremy Kyle show of course

Ah I see, that helps explain your argument.
Remain With or Leave the EU on 12:54 - Jun 16 with 1506 viewsHighjack

Remain With or Leave the EU on 12:36 - Jun 16 by safe_jack

You obviously do not understand economics

I've never claimed to. Do you believe there are jobs so crap that only immigrants should have them? Sounds a bit racist to me.

Remain With or Leave the EU on 12:58 - Jun 16 with 1498 viewssafe_jack

Remain With or Leave the EU on 12:54 - Jun 16 by Highjack

I've never claimed to. Do you believe there are jobs so crap that only immigrants should have them? Sounds a bit racist to me.

Nothing of the sort. I was just pointing out that Nice_to_Michu was correct in that 5% unemployment is considered to be the natural rate of unemployment/full employment level which is ideal.
Remain With or Leave the EU on 13:02 - Jun 16 with 1486 viewslondonlisa2001

Remain With or Leave the EU on 12:54 - Jun 16 by Highjack

There are undoubtedly jobs that only immigrants will do. Jobs that our own population can't be bothered with.

Service industry, NHS, care homes, agricultural work etc.

Not sure how exactly people think that these jobs will suddenly be filled unless exit is accompanied by much stronger reform of the welfare state. Or perhaps we just won't bother growing food in this country. Perhaps we'll import it all from France and Spain, oh, hang on...
Remain With or Leave the EU on 13:30 - Jun 16 with 1448 viewsdailew

Not been following the debate much so could someone answer this for me.

1) Won't the UK join EFTA on a Brexit.

2) Doesn't this confer the same freedom of movement as if the Uk were still in the EU?

Poll: Would you like Rodgers back as the new manager ?

Remain With or Leave the EU on 13:37 - Jun 16 with 1444 viewsjojaca

Remain With or Leave the EU on 13:02 - Jun 16 by londonlisa2001

There are undoubtedly jobs that only immigrants will do. Jobs that our own population can't be bothered with.

Service industry, NHS, care homes, agricultural work etc.

Not sure how exactly people think that these jobs will suddenly be filled unless exit is accompanied by much stronger reform of the welfare state. Or perhaps we just won't bother growing food in this country. Perhaps we'll import it all from France and Spain, oh, hang on...

These jobs will be filled by raising the pay and adding additional benefits, so they become attractive. The reason people cant be bothered because some jobs are not worth the pay for what you put your body through. I would never work in a freezer job on minimum wage, working in temperatures at -20.

Even when you know, you never know?

Remain With or Leave the EU on 13:42 - Jun 16 with 1437 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Remain With or Leave the EU on 12:28 - Jun 16 by nice_to_michu

Unemployed = 1,671,000 = 5% of the population
Financially inactive, ie no job & no money of their own = 8,924,000 = 21.8% of the population
https://www.nomisweb.co.uk/reports/lmp/gor/2092957698/report.aspx

"full employment", yeah right
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024