Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Welsh ministers try to stop ban on politicians lying ... 17:42 - Jul 2 with 232 viewstheloneranger

"The Welsh government is facing potential defeat on Tuesday as ministers attempt to stop a ban on politicians lying from becoming law."

"Legislation currently going through the Senedd will, if passed, make it an offence to lie in Welsh politics, banning anyone found guilty from being a Member of the Senedd."

"The offence, proposed by Plaid Cymru's Adam Price, was added to a government bill last May with the help of Labour politician Lee Waters, despite the opposition of his own party's chief legal adviser."

"Counsel General Mick Antoniw has warned the law could "do more harm than good" but Mr Waters and Mr Price say Wales would "lead the world" if it was passed."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cv2gme2y98no

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

Welsh ministers try to stop ban on politicians lying ... on 17:55 - Jul 2 with 221 viewsWhiterockin

If this goes through against Labour's wishes and they can't pass the budget, there has to be Senedd elections. We have an ungovernable Senedd in Wales

Poll: As things stand are you going to vote in the General Election

Welsh ministers try to stop ban on politicians lying ... on 18:31 - Jul 2 with 176 viewsblackswan

Welsh ministers try to stop ban on politicians lying ... on 17:55 - Jul 2 by Whiterockin

If this goes through against Labour's wishes and they can't pass the budget, there has to be Senedd elections. We have an ungovernable Senedd in Wales

To go with an unaccountable government! Vote of no confidence ignored half a million voters saying blanket 20 mph a nonsense ignored.
Welsh ministers try to stop ban on politicians lying ... on 18:41 - Jul 2 with 169 viewsmajorraglan

This is an interesting one. When I saw the initial article I was raging at the thought of the WG trying to stop the legislation, but having read in to it it’s not so clear cut and I can appreciate aspects of both sides arguments.

Firstly, politicians should never be able to lie and get away with it, never ever ever and they should be completely accountable. The legislation seeks to make it a criminal offence which is something I’m not so sure about. It appears that the police and the CPS haven’t been consulted on this law, which is not acceptable nor iris it acceptable when the WG tries to deviate from “English” law which is the juridical system in England and Wales and is the responsibility of the Parliament in Westminster. I think there’s potentially another way, a super beefed up code of conduct which holds all politicians to account. The law proposed to Cardiff Bay wouldn’t apply to MP’s - we need something that applies to all the lying @@@@@@‘s whatever party they’re in and whatever body they serve on.
I don’t believe this is something our already overworked police should have to regulate and oversee, but there does need to be more accountability. The Standards Commissioner is on record as being against this legislation, maybe it’s because he doesn’t want to lose some of his work streams but maybe he can see it’s not the best piece of legislation to be introduced.

Edit -typo
[Post edited 2 Jul 21:24]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024