Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
European Elections 20:26 - Jun 9 with 4147 viewsDr_Winston

A big rise in the Nationalist vote all across the continent. Macron beaten into second place in France by Le Pen's mob. Substantial gains for AfD in Germany and others in Austria. The same likely in Italy.

A natural outcome of people's valid concerns about mass inward migration, the headlong rush towards net zero regardless of the cost to people's lives and the fundamental democratic deficit at the heart of EU power being ignored, or dismissed as racism, fascism, or eco vandalism?

One of the reasons I voted for Brexit, as well as the aforementioned democratic deficit, is that I simply don't see it surviving as an entity for more than another couple of decades if there isn't massive reform, and I'd rather that the UK be nowhere near it when it happens. The will to enact such reform is massively lacking as politicians will never vote to give themselves less power, so the EU will cheerfully carry on ensuring its own ending.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

European Elections on 16:45 - Jun 13 with 947 viewsSullutaCreturned

European Elections on 16:36 - Jun 13 by Dr_Winston

I don't doubt for a split second that lots of racists voted for Brexit. A stopped clock is right twice a day.

Europe is great. I've been to France and Ireland numerous times. I'd love to spend some time in Germany, Austria (Vienna Christmas Market is on my bucket list) and Italy. I have no desire however, nor I suspect would the average citizen of said nations, to have decisions critical to the future of the UK being made by a cabal containing unelected Belgians, Spaniards, Danes or Luxembourgers.

I'm not fond of the concept of the House of Lords, but at least most of them are British.

Oh yes, lots of racists supported brexit but not everybody who chose leave is a racist.

I love travelling and my bucket list is much longer than is feasibly possible.

The Normandy beaches and other D day sites to start with. Italy is likely to be our next holiday, Naples, Pompeii and Herculaneum, Rome. Just because I love Europe, it doesn't mean I want to be governed by people from other countries who could easily outvote British MEP's on any matter AND if we rejoined we'd be in the EU, we'd have no veto and very little chance of ever leaving again unless the whole rotten edifice collapsed.
European Elections on 17:19 - Jun 13 with 910 viewsGwyn737

Of those things people have identified as concerns, which have moved closer to realisation and in what way over the past 8 years?
European Elections on 17:22 - Jun 13 with 906 viewsGwyn737

European Elections on 06:57 - Jun 13 by Dr_Winston

If we have ambitions of ever rejoining it would be a pre-requisite. They'd love to get the UK economy tied to it. If we'd stayed? I've said in this thread I suspect the whole shebang will collapse in a couple of decades anyway so probably never.

That doesn't change the dream though. And their single minded pursuit of the dream against all common sense and will of the populace is what will do for it in the end.

A concern about having to have the Euro if we rejoin is not a reason not to have left in the first place, more an example of a choice we had when we were within the system.
European Elections on 18:25 - Jun 13 with 887 viewsSullutaCreturned

European Elections on 17:19 - Jun 13 by Gwyn737

Of those things people have identified as concerns, which have moved closer to realisation and in what way over the past 8 years?

If we rejoined we'd have no veto and HAVE to adopt the Euro. As for any changes internally, I don't know because I haven't been studying the EU as we are not in it.
European Elections on 19:20 - Jun 13 with 847 viewsJumpingJackFlash

European Elections on 18:25 - Jun 13 by SullutaCreturned

If we rejoined we'd have no veto and HAVE to adopt the Euro. As for any changes internally, I don't know because I haven't been studying the EU as we are not in it.

Sweden has a deal which means they HAVE to adopt the Euro. 29 years on from the deal they’re still thinking about it and hasn’t met the necessary conditions…
European Elections on 15:38 - Jun 14 with 768 viewsSullutaCreturned

European Elections on 19:20 - Jun 13 by JumpingJackFlash

Sweden has a deal which means they HAVE to adopt the Euro. 29 years on from the deal they’re still thinking about it and hasn’t met the necessary conditions…

Things have changed since 1995. Things have changed since brexit
European Elections on 17:06 - Jun 14 with 753 viewsGwyn737

European Elections on 18:25 - Jun 13 by SullutaCreturned

That’s kind of my point, Cat.

We were in and had the veto to to suggest we’d have to have the Euro / change our National Anthem etc. doesn’t wash.

The tide of opinion that we made a mistake is rising, not necessarily because people are changing their minds but to be crude, leave voters are dying off and younger voters aren’t replacing them as they age.

I did think that a closer relationship was at least a decade away but if Labour get a landslide I can see it coming in during the first term.

Hopefully people will gracefully accept the will of the people…
European Elections on 17:28 - Jun 14 with 740 viewsmajorraglan

European Elections on 17:06 - Jun 14 by Gwyn737

We were in and had the veto to to suggest we’d have to have the Euro / change our National Anthem etc. doesn’t wash.

The tide of opinion that we made a mistake is rising, not necessarily because people are changing their minds but to be crude, leave voters are dying off and younger voters aren’t replacing them as they age.

I did think that a closer relationship was at least a decade away but if Labour get a landslide I can see it coming in during the first term.

Any return will be on much worse terms than our previous membership.

Brexit has been poorly executed, Boris delivered it as he promised but the brazen lies told (particularly with regards to trade with Northern Ireland) were outrageous and the eventual deal was poor. Credit to Sunak for the resolving some of the issues, but the Windsor agreement resulted in another fracas in the Conservative Party.

We voted for Brexit, but that meant different things to different people and the lack of clarity at the outset has ensured the argument will continue to rumble on. The easy deal mooted by David Davis was anything but and faced with what we have, we now see the Frost’s of the world agitating to move further away from Europe.
[Post edited 14 Jun 17:32]
Login to get fewer ads

European Elections on 17:35 - Jun 14 with 725 viewsFlashberryjack

"Hopefully people will gracefully accept the will of the people…"

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

European Elections on 17:44 - Jun 14 with 718 viewsGwyn737

European Elections on 17:35 - Jun 14 by Flashberryjack

It was meant to be tongue in cheek, Flash! 😉
European Elections on 17:47 - Jun 14 with 717 viewsGwyn737

European Elections on 17:28 - Jun 14 by majorraglan

Any return will be on much worse terms than our previous membership.

Brexit has been poorly executed, Boris delivered it as he promised but the brazen lies told (particularly with regards to trade with Northern Ireland) were outrageous and the eventual deal was poor. Credit to Sunak for the resolving some of the issues, but the Windsor agreement resulted in another fracas in the Conservative Party.

We voted for Brexit, but that meant different things to different people and the lack of clarity at the outset has ensured the argument will continue to rumble on. The easy deal mooted by David Davis was anything but and faced with what we have, we now see the Frost’s of the world agitating to move further away from Europe.
[Post edited 14 Jun 17:32]

I’d add that politicians across the spectrum didn’t really want Brexit despite what the population wanted.

That meant that only ones who’d ‘get in done’ were the less scrupulous and quite frankly, rubbish ones.

This goes a long way to explain the omnishambles we’ve had since 2019.
European Elections on 18:10 - Jun 14 with 688 viewsFlashberryjack

European Elections on 17:44 - Jun 14 by Gwyn737

It was meant to be tongue in cheek, Flash! 😉

That's why I added a laughing emoji rather than respond.

Hello

European Elections on 22:45 - Jun 14 with 629 viewsSullutaCreturned

Hold up now, a Labour victory doesn't mean the will of the people is for a return to the EU in any form. We'd need another referendum for that.

The longbterm aim was and still is ever closer ties which means thatthere would have been pressure to adopt the Euro. The national anthem thing is just silly.
I've said before the only poll that counts is an actual vote, opinion polls are manipulated and they only ask a few thousand people which cannot simply be miltiplied out. The original polls had us nailed on to remain yet that's not proof enough!

The tide of opinion across the EU is hardly that it's a great success right now. Which is why nationalism is rising again. Unfettered immigration is top of the moaning list, that must mean there are a lot of racists across the EU then? Or are they genuine concerns about the changes happening in many places and people are genuinely worried about which way their country is heading?
European Elections on 06:53 - Jun 15 with 596 viewsGwyn737

European Elections on 22:45 - Jun 14 by SullutaCreturned

Hold up now, a Labour victory doesn't mean the will of the people is for a return to the EU in any form. We'd need another referendum for that.

The longbterm aim was and still is ever closer ties which means thatthere would have been pressure to adopt the Euro. The national anthem thing is just silly.
I've said before the only poll that counts is an actual vote, opinion polls are manipulated and they only ask a few thousand people which cannot simply be miltiplied out. The original polls had us nailed on to remain yet that's not proof enough!

The tide of opinion across the EU is hardly that it's a great success right now. Which is why nationalism is rising again. Unfettered immigration is top of the moaning list, that must mean there are a lot of racists across the EU then? Or are they genuine concerns about the changes happening in many places and people are genuinely worried about which way their country is heading?

We would absolutely need another referendum and it could well come. I reckon it’ll be initially talked about in labours second term.

Agree with you about the polls but the Brexit mistakes on numbers have been used to improve the system. It’ll never be perfect.

You know from my posting history I’ve never used racism to tar people who voted leave. I just think they were wrong 😉
European Elections on 14:39 - Jun 15 with 551 viewsonehunglow

European Elections on 22:45 - Jun 14 by SullutaCreturned

Have an up arrow.
People are terrified ,in this climate,to be honest about immigration as they will be branded racists.
We need to reset our values starting with being honest about what we want,which means keeping foreign dross and criminals out of our country.
Hell,we could start looking after our own, even pensioners,marginally,shafted and forgotten apart from the tax man . Labour look like they will continue to see them as mute money machines .

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

European Elections on 15:03 - Jun 15 with 531 viewsFlashberryjack

European Elections on 14:39 - Jun 15 by onehunglow

Have an up arrow.
People are terrified ,in this climate,to be honest about immigration as they will be branded racists.
We need to reset our values starting with being honest about what we want,which means keeping foreign dross and criminals out of our country.
Hell,we could start looking after our own, even pensioners,marginally,shafted and forgotten apart from the tax man . Labour look like they will continue to see them as mute money machines .

All conservatives are pensioners according to some, then there are others that can't wait for the old buggers to die, so they can have another referendum on re-joining the crumbling EU.

The land of milk and honey is just a vote away, if you listen to Starmer, now there's honesty personified.

Hello

European Elections on 15:13 - Jun 15 with 527 viewsSullutaCreturned

European Elections on 17:47 - Jun 14 by Gwyn737

I’d add that politicians across the spectrum didn’t really want Brexit despite what the population wanted.

That meant that only ones who’d ‘get in done’ were the less scrupulous and quite frankly, rubbish ones.

This goes a long way to explain the omnishambles we’ve had since 2019.

Hmmm, just a thought but given hiw honest our politicians are and hw little we trust them, when they all wanted to remain, it was probably a good reason to leave
European Elections on 15:28 - Jun 15 with 520 viewsonehunglow

European Elections on 15:03 - Jun 15 by Flashberryjack

All conservatives are pensioners according to some, then there are others that can't wait for the old buggers to die, so they can have another referendum on re-joining the crumbling EU.

The land of milk and honey is just a vote away, if you listen to Starmer, now there's honesty personified.

Incredible isn’t it.
Many are ex trade unionists who’ve grafted physically hard all their lives .
God help them if they have been in any way thrifty
Pensioners don’t normally protest on the streets of London ,carrying banners and chucking bricks T Police

Maybe they should

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

European Elections on 18:07 - Jun 15 with 491 viewsGwyn737

European Elections on 15:03 - Jun 15 by Flashberryjack

Your first paragraph is demonstrably correct.

People aren’t turning conservative as they get older which has previously been the case. In this election, I’m willing to bet the number of under 50s voting Tory will be below 12%.

Same pattern with Brexit.

The Brexit pattern may change but it’ll take time for things to continue to settle. It’s far more dangerous for the Tories future atm. They haven’t got time to play with.
European Elections on 21:14 - Jun 15 with 470 viewsSullutaCreturned

European Elections on 18:07 - Jun 15 by Gwyn737

Your first paragraph is demonstrably correct.

People aren’t turning conservative as they get older which has previously been the case. In this election, I’m willing to bet the number of under 50s voting Tory will be below 12%.

Same pattern with Brexit.

The Brexit pattern may change but it’ll take time for things to continue to settle. It’s far more dangerous for the Tories future atm. They haven’t got time to play with.

Demonstrably incorrect,

https://youth.conservatives.com/about-us
European Elections on 21:33 - Jun 15 with 466 viewsGwyn737

European Elections on 21:14 - Jun 15 by SullutaCreturned

Demonstrably incorrect,

https://youth.conservatives.com/about-us

Is that the right page in the link, Cat?

I can’t see anything on there that shows that their vote has fallen for under 50s.
European Elections on 22:22 - Jun 15 with 451 viewsBoundy

European Elections on 17:35 - Jun 14 by Flashberryjack

I did chuckle

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

European Elections on 07:30 - Jun 16 with 414 viewsAnotherJohn

European Elections on 21:33 - Jun 15 by Gwyn737

Is that the right page in the link, Cat?

I can’t see anything on there that shows that their vote has fallen for under 50s.

It isn't quite the same as the issue of ageing and increasing conservatism, but the rightwards surge in many European countries seems to come from a rightward drift of younger people. Even in the UK young males seem less left-wing than females.

https://www.politico.eu/article/europe-young-people-right-wing-voters-far-right-

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/conservative-right-wing-men-progressive
European Elections on 20:53 - Jun 21 with 268 viewsWingstandwood

There has been talk and reporting about Europe drfiting futher and further towards the right? There is speculation and reporting about Eurpopean youth drifting further towards the right also? Maybe the entire EU is about to change in a way that could never ever have been imagined only a few years ago?

Are they singing 'The forbidden song' called 'Auslander Raus' out of ideological beliefs, or because the song is rather catchy like other football songs?

Argus!

European Elections on 21:07 - Jul 7 with 92 viewsbuilthjack

Le Pen is back in her box

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024