Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Match Day "Gimmicks" 01:04 - Nov 29 with 9180 viewsmikehunt

Thought I would open a thread for people to leave some ideas to augment the matchday experience.
My thought was to resurrect some of the half time games with a "man on the pitch" etc. Somewhat corny but there was a bit of entertainment: particularly when a home fan and opposition fan competed.
Another lovely gesture a few years back was at a Christmas game when our team ran to the four sides of the ground with Dale Santa hats and gave them out to kids in the crowd. If we could get the opposition team to bring some of their gifts for their supporters, that would make everybody happy (well me at any rate).

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

Match Day "Gimmicks" on 20:56 - Nov 29 with 2865 views442Dale

https://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/2017/july/ground-speakers_upgrade_2017/

Speakers were replaced four years ago. Worth noting the volume level has been fine in the Sandy the last couple of games, indicating it can be managed.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Match Day "Gimmicks" on 21:07 - Nov 29 with 2826 viewsR17ALE

Match Day "Gimmicks" on 20:23 - Nov 29 by HullDale

A few thoughts from me… only a few initial ideas, and absolutely not meant as a slight on the club now. The direction we are going in, and the new board, are a breath of fresh air. All of the below are meant entirely as constructive ideas, and alongside other Dale fans I’d be happy to support the implementation of them on a voluntary basis to help out. We have so many different skills throughout the fanbase (as demonstrated over the Summer!) and if we are serious about moving forward then if we can utilise them we should do.

Outside of Matchday

- Get the basics right. Stuff like the right match being on social media, posters available to download and print advertising up and coming matches, more features like ‘ask the lads’. All three of these won’t cost anything as the people required are already employed by the club. The more ‘out of match’ stuff we do, the more we will be in the local psyche… if you search ‘Rochdale’ on twitter its full of other clubs fans, grooming gangs and tinpot local news — we need to make ‘Brand Rochdale’ more visible

- Billboards. Commit to the expenditure from now until the end of the season and have regular, consistent messaging. We have a new strapline that is MADE for positive association (‘Owned by fans for the fans’) and should be advertising every single home game on the posh new digital scoreboards around the town centre. On ‘away’ weeks, advertise stuff in the shop / dale lotto / business networking events / events at the Ratcliffe / even just have a massive Rochdale logo appearing every few minutes with the catchy tagline. Immediately plan a strategy from now until May, and stick to it.

- Community. Get the players back into local schools once a week for coaching sessions or meet and greet… give the kids a free child and adult ticket when there. Get into all of our local communities… its noticeable if you look at the fan photos each week that we have one very clear demographic in the stands, and if we want to stay relevant and increase our attendances that needs to change. Get into the community centres of different faiths, and do it consistently. Rocking up once won’t get interest… get in there every couple of weeks for an afternoon and get people talking. We can’t say it doesn’t work until we give it a really, really good go. Get back involved with stuff like the Xmas light switch on in town… have a presence at the Remembrance Day parade…. Be visible as a club at events that matter to people who may otherwise not interact with us.

- Maximise Existing Sponsors. I know a player sponsor, and they haven’t been contacted once by the club since sending the money over at the start of the season. No newsletter, no offer of exec packages at matchday, no offer of digital advertising, no brochure about room / facilities hire… nothing. There must be a captive audience of at least 40 sponsors who have spent a minimum £300 with us so far this season — why not re-engage with them? If we don’t get any more out of them this season, as least it shows the club care and want to stay in conversation… we run the risk of people not renewing for next season if it’s a ‘wham bam thank you mam’ to get a few quid in preseason and that is it. Why not run a raffle — any existing sponsor who purchases an additional sponsorship or executive box experience between now and February is entered into a draw…. One will win their sponsorship again for free next season.

- Tell our Story. There aren’t many clubs who have been through what we have in the last few months. Rather than vague references or statements, come out as a club and say how proud we are of our fans, our trust, and our new sustainable fan led club. Clearly there are some legalities around what we can say, but push it as far as we can within the rules… if we don’t tell our own story nobody else will.

- Shirts for Kids. Work with Crown Oil / Errea or somebody else to get a batch of 500/1000 first team shirts and give them away with a parent / child home ticket voucher to be used at any game this season. Get kids excited to have a shirt and go to a match. Position it right and it could be tax deductible for the business that pays for it, and it could give us fans of the future. Accy do it to great effect, so with a bit of thought and willing so could we.

- Communicate. If we have a database of fans / customers, use it. Talk to them about upcoming games. Email them about club shop sales (and make sure we have scarves etc in!). Send them links to player interviews, and run competitions for people who see the communications and start following the club on social media. Share match highlights via email, do a compilation of best bits this season with a ‘see what you’re missing’ type strapline. Have a survey on there to understand how people FEEL about the club, what would make them come to more games, and how else the club could be more involved in the community.

Matchday

- Cash Turnstiles. Find a way of making it work. If it isn’t a cash turnstile, have a cash ticket seller outside each corner of the ground with a wedge of tickets ready to buy for cash. On the morning of the match, plug heavily the fact people can pay on the day. Its maybe one of the easiest wins we have, and we shouldn’t be making it difficult for people to attend on impulse. Run social competitions of which Dale fan gets the best photo with a pay on the day friend inside the ground. Generate noise on social media.

- 5-a-side. Run 5 a side competitions on the kick pitch before and after matches — do a deal with free tickets for teams who book the pitch for the first time. With a bit of thought, it could culminate in a 5 a side on the Spotland pitch at half time of the last game of the season. Ask for fan volunteers to spread the word at the 5-a-side places that already exist in the borough. Offer a non-exec exec package… off the top of my head, £60 gets a team of 6 into the pre match competition, a pie and a pint and entry into the game.

-Fix the Sound. Whether you like the music, the style or the person for now is irrelevant. There is clearly an issue where some people attend games and get tinnitus, whereas others can’t hear it at all. Before we can start initiatives such as competitions to create the matchday playlist etc, we need to make sure the system is fit for purpose. The ground is as clean as its ever been, the pitch is as good as its ever been, we have a shiny new scoreboard… the facilities are improving and we are stuck with (I believe) the same broken sound system that we have had for easily 30 years?

-Half Time. Bring back a kick for cash type initiative… create some excitement so people look up from their phones at half time. If people are engrossed in their phones they are not interacting with anything else, be that adverts on the big screen or speakers, conversing with those around them etc. As much as we need to give people a reason to care about the club, we also need to give them a reason to interact with all that the club has to offer (and sell).

-Studds. Open Studds (& Desmond’s Den) to people who are not in the WMG. Encourage kids from all three home ends to get involved with the activities in there — it’s a great space for them now. Get players not in the matchday squad down there at 215/230 for an autographs and photographs session. Start creating heroes for the kids to remember and talk about in school on the Monday.

-More than a Mascot This one needs a bit more thinking, but surely there is more we can do than the current mascot package. If you look at what Disney stores used to do, they would run competitions for a kid to open the store on a Saturday morning with a giant golden key. All the staff would be around and make a big deal of it, you’d have proper photos taken and it would be turned into a real event that the kid would remember forever. It’s a bit American, but the ‘throwing the first pitch’ idea at baseball always gets a good reception… could the lucky kid take the first kick of the day (maybe a penalty against Desmond or something in the couple of minutes before the teams come out?). It’s a very early thought of an idea, but there must be something we can do there.

-Bars. Have them open after the match (I know Studds usually is) and show any live matches on Sky / BT directly before and after matches. Do pie and a pint deals, and get people in the habit of sticking around the ground outside of the 90 minutes to spend a bit more money with us. People are in a routine, so it won’t work straight away — but if it gets gradually busier each match and we can change people’s routines that can only be a good thing. Again — trying it once and saying it doesn’t work doesn’t give an accurate idea of its potential.

I’ve just realised this has fully turned into an essay, and these are only ideas that spring to mind whilst I’m waiting for tea to cook… there will be loads more so if I think of any I’ll add them to the thread.
[Post edited 29 Nov 2021 20:24]

Crikey, what were you cooking?

Pulled Pork?

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

Match Day "Gimmicks" on 21:16 - Nov 29 with 2806 viewsTVOS1907

Match Day "Gimmicks" on 21:07 - Nov 29 by R17ALE

Pulled Pork?

Depends if he gets a lot of upvotes.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Match Day "Gimmicks" on 21:43 - Nov 29 with 2763 viewsjudd

Match Day "Gimmicks" on 21:07 - Nov 29 by R17ALE

Pulled Pork?

Alphabetti spaghetti

Poll: What is it to be then?

Match Day "Gimmicks" on 21:54 - Nov 29 with 2750 viewsHullDale

Toast.
Match Day "Gimmicks" on 22:17 - Nov 29 with 2693 viewsjudd

Match Day "Gimmicks" on 21:54 - Nov 29 by HullDale

Toast.

Send some to Morton House

Match Day "Gimmicks" on 22:23 - Nov 29 with 2645 viewsD_Alien

Match Day "Gimmicks" on 22:17 - Nov 29 by judd

Send some to Morton House

More food for thought?

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Match Day "Gimmicks" on 22:33 - Nov 29 with 2615 viewsjudd

Match Day "Gimmicks" on 22:23 - Nov 29 by D_Alien

More food for thought?

Thought?

Login to get fewer ads

Match Day "Gimmicks" on 22:37 - Nov 29 with 2593 viewsD_Alien

Match Day "Gimmicks" on 22:33 - Nov 29 by judd

Thought?

It'll give MH summat to try and butter up

Match Day "Gimmicks" on 22:44 - Nov 29 with 2558 viewsDickydaler

My 'two penneth' was just to say that not everyone dislikes the music (or volume) and not very helpful to the thread. But I've got to say some of the ideas already posted are fantastic and some can be implemented without too much trouble. However, we shouldn't forget that we are only a relatively small club with limited staffing and money and some of the suggestions I think will require more of both. But, if proved feasible, at least they are something to aim for.
Match Day "Gimmicks" on 23:11 - Nov 29 with 2493 viewsfermin

Match Day "Gimmicks" on 22:44 - Nov 29 by Dickydaler

My 'two penneth' was just to say that not everyone dislikes the music (or volume) and not very helpful to the thread. But I've got to say some of the ideas already posted are fantastic and some can be implemented without too much trouble. However, we shouldn't forget that we are only a relatively small club with limited staffing and money and some of the suggestions I think will require more of both. But, if proved feasible, at least they are something to aim for.

This is a good point. If we are going big on the fan-owned angle then we need to be prepared to volunteer to do some of these things, exactly as some posters on here have done, and the club should be prepared to consider this. This would also help get away from the us and them attitude that used to prevail. For example, consider this from AFC Wimbledon, who have had to use a large volunteer base since their inception: https://www.afcwimbledon.co.uk/news/2021/august/new-volunteer-roles-for-202122-s

Also this from our last opponents:

[Post edited 29 Nov 2021 23:23]
Match Day "Gimmicks" on 23:35 - Nov 29 with 2433 views_Windydale

What do I want to make the experience better?

Nowt from the club.

I go to most games and commit if it's pissing down or a cold Tuesday night. I'm enjoying the journey at the moment.

It's probably a better atmosphere at home I want.

I'd be happy with a good drummer to help the singers maybe in the WMG. The younger guys working together, being original. Maybe there is a reward, food kiosk voucher incentives, free burger for powering on vocally through a full a 45 minute set.

What do others want? I think more for the kids.

A dale juniors fans club. Freebies are given away to young fans on the way in. Cheap stuff, Keyrings, printed player pictures signed, etc to sign up. Like maccy dees giving stuff away.

A dale juniors app.

A kid's table football championship in the car park weather permitting.

Maybe a video link to the scoreboard. The camera focus on the crown who can stick two fingers up or curl up embarrassed.
Match Day "Gimmicks" on 07:51 - Nov 30 with 2221 viewskel

Match Day "Gimmicks" on 22:44 - Nov 29 by Dickydaler

I think it’s very helpful to the thread.

If we’re discussing entertaining people pre-match and at half time then it needs looking at. Personally (and I know many others who do the same) I arrive in my seat/standing place right on kick off and shoot straight to the bar at half time so my experience of the shouty tannoy is limited.
Match Day "Gimmicks" on 11:49 - Nov 30 with 2051 viewsAtThePeake

Match Day "Gimmicks" on 16:33 - Nov 29 by Delboy

And that one sentence sums up why we will never move into a new and more imaginative future !!

Yes, perhaps so, but my point is - doesn't it risk alienating a fair section of our current fanbase in the process?

49ths mate has decided to walk away due to a myriad of factors and I think things like improving the ticketing process, sprucing up some of the current facilities in the bars and the toilets for example, could go a long way.

But, personally, if I was watching a Rochdale team play in yellow & red in a ground with fireworks and a brass band then it would no longer be the experience I enjoy and that's the kind of thing that would likely make me walk away instead. And that's the difficulty the club have. By going too far out of the box in attempting to attract new fans, you risk alienating existing ones.

There are plenty of ways to improve the overall experience and attract more supporters without being too intrusive to the things that attracted many of us to Rochdale in the first place, as HullDale's excellent post shows.

Tangled up in blue.

Match Day "Gimmicks" on 11:49 - Nov 30 with 2051 viewsAtThePeake

Match Day "Gimmicks" on 18:58 - Nov 29 by D_Alien

I find any "build-up" music false and unnecessary; anticipation of the game is enough for me, even when we've been playing rubbish!

And therein lies the danger with gimmicks. If the product on the pitch is disappointing, no amount of gimmicks will compensate for it. Nor do i need "entertaining" at half time, i'm only interested in what's happening with other games (half time scores)

I used to find the Sweetmore very limited playlist intrusive but its now assumed the status of unheard background noise, a bit like living next to a busy road

[Post edited 29 Nov 2021 19:09]

We don't get the half-time scores from Sweetmore anymore do we? I've noticed it a couple of times this season as I've struggled to get an internet connection on my phone at HT and have been listening out for them.

The volume really is ridiculous in the Main Stand, to the point where if people are trying to get past each other to their seats before kick-off then they need to tap people on the shoulder as an "excuse me mate" is drowned out by The Courteeners.

Tangled up in blue.

Match Day "Gimmicks" on 12:33 - Nov 30 with 2000 viewsD_Alien

Match Day "Gimmicks" on 11:49 - Nov 30 by AtThePeake

Yes, perhaps so, but my point is - doesn't it risk alienating a fair section of our current fanbase in the process?

49ths mate has decided to walk away due to a myriad of factors and I think things like improving the ticketing process, sprucing up some of the current facilities in the bars and the toilets for example, could go a long way.

But, personally, if I was watching a Rochdale team play in yellow & red in a ground with fireworks and a brass band then it would no longer be the experience I enjoy and that's the kind of thing that would likely make me walk away instead. And that's the difficulty the club have. By going too far out of the box in attempting to attract new fans, you risk alienating existing ones.

There are plenty of ways to improve the overall experience and attract more supporters without being too intrusive to the things that attracted many of us to Rochdale in the first place, as HullDale's excellent post shows.

Absolutely - and that's what i was getting at with my reply to dickydaler, which may have come across to some as being a bit churlish but the intention was to point in the direction you've now further highlighted

I also happen to think it's a myth that kids won't turn up without some form of nfr entertainment, or that a majority of people need it either

I'd have no problem whatsoever with the club trying new things, and all suggestions are welcome, as long as they're trialled for effect. But as you say, there are far more easy wins in keeping the ground and facilities in better nick than there are on the pitch, which was my other main point - get that right (and imo we're heading in the right direction) and you've got something to confidently advertise. Without it, all the bells & whistles in the world won't help
[Post edited 30 Nov 2021 12:35]

Match Day "Gimmicks" on 15:11 - Nov 30 with 1865 viewsjudd

We don't get the half-time scores from Sweetmore anymore do we? I've noticed it a couple of times this season as I've struggled to get an internet connection on my phone at HT and have been listening out for them.

The volume really is ridiculous in the Main Stand, to the point where if people are trying to get past each other to their seats before kick-off then they need to tap people on the shoulder as an "excuse me mate" is drowned out by The Courteeners.

A Courteeners-free zone is an absolute MUST

Match Day "Gimmicks" on 15:58 - Nov 30 with 1839 views49thseason

The point I was perhaps clumsily making, was that we need to consider every option and take nothing off the table, if the decision is to stick with the same old same old after a thorough discussion then great but if decisions are made on the basis of " its what we have always done" then, I submit, that is a problem and the sort of thinking that has us half way up L2. Is anyone in any doubt that there is much that could be better, whatever better is to the majority? Those of us that remain loyal, come rain or shine, wont walk away because occasionally we have a different form of entertainment before the game or if the shirt colour changes for good reasons but if the changes bring in more people why would we be upset?
We have a major marketing problem that will not be solved easily or without breaking a few long held beliefs in the process. There were less than 1800 of us there on Saturday, and the spell was maybe permanently broken for a few more who will never return. We have a rare opportunity to effect changes on a scale we have never done before lets not waste it by being fixed in our ways and resistant to those things that will allow us to grow and prosper.
Match Day "Gimmicks" on 17:04 - Nov 30 with 1775 viewsJames1980

Has the speaker upgrade achieved these aims? 'We hope this will enhance the supporter experience and make for a more pleasant listen!'
Was it just the speakers that were changed or the whole system?

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: What does Jim need ?

Match Day "Gimmicks" on 17:27 - Nov 30 with 1734 viewsAtThePeake

Match Day "Gimmicks" on 15:58 - Nov 30 by 49thseason

The point I was perhaps clumsily making, was that we need to consider every option and take nothing off the table, if the decision is to stick with the same old same old after a thorough discussion then great but if decisions are made on the basis of " its what we have always done" then, I submit, that is a problem and the sort of thinking that has us half way up L2. Is anyone in any doubt that there is much that could be better, whatever better is to the majority? Those of us that remain loyal, come rain or shine, wont walk away because occasionally we have a different form of entertainment before the game or if the shirt colour changes for good reasons but if the changes bring in more people why would we be upset?
We have a major marketing problem that will not be solved easily or without breaking a few long held beliefs in the process. There were less than 1800 of us there on Saturday, and the spell was maybe permanently broken for a few more who will never return. We have a rare opportunity to effect changes on a scale we have never done before lets not waste it by being fixed in our ways and resistant to those things that will allow us to grow and prosper.

I think you're under-estimating how important people find things like the shirt colours - just look at the reaction to Vincent Tan changing Cardiff's colours to red a few years back.

I don't doubt for one second that things could be better and like I said, there are a lot of excellent ideas in this thread, but there are some that are stepping a bit too far outside the comfort zone for me and risk alienating some of the small fanbase we have that are still loyal.

We can improve on what we have without turning the club into something it's not.

Tangled up in blue.

Match Day "Gimmicks" on 17:37 - Nov 30 with 1717 views442Dale

Match Day "Gimmicks" on 17:27 - Nov 30 by AtThePeake

I think you're under-estimating how important people find things like the shirt colours - just look at the reaction to Vincent Tan changing Cardiff's colours to red a few years back.

I don't doubt for one second that things could be better and like I said, there are a lot of excellent ideas in this thread, but there are some that are stepping a bit too far outside the comfort zone for me and risk alienating some of the small fanbase we have that are still loyal.

We can improve on what we have without turning the club into something it's not.

Noticed importance was limited to “shirt colours”.

Don’t think I haven’t worked out what everyone is up to around here.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Match Day "Gimmicks" on 20:35 - Nov 30 with 1552 viewsD_Alien

Do you really think that our new board - of all boards - might remotely have a "its what we have always done" mentality?

I say let's give them some breathing space. I've no doubt new ideas on what you refer to as 'marketing' * will emerge, and i've absolutely no doubt that those in positions within the club involved in such matters will be reading this thread, and taking note

* Marketing? No! It's not a marketing problem at all. It's a problem more to do with the mindset of people in Rochdale who i'd maintain are immune to 'marketing'. That's not to say that more can't be done to engage with specific groups within the town, including schools, ethnic minorities and businessfolk. But apart from giving people money to turn up, it'll be a long slow process and gimmicks aren't the answer

What is? Success - sustained success on the pitch. The rest is peripheral at best
[Post edited 30 Nov 2021 20:37]

Match Day "Gimmicks" on 20:47 - Nov 30 with 1498 viewsJames1980

Match Day "Gimmicks" on 20:35 - Nov 30 by D_Alien

Do you really think that our new board - of all boards - might remotely have a "its what we have always done" mentality?

I say let's give them some breathing space. I've no doubt new ideas on what you refer to as 'marketing' * will emerge, and i've absolutely no doubt that those in positions within the club involved in such matters will be reading this thread, and taking note

* Marketing? No! It's not a marketing problem at all. It's a problem more to do with the mindset of people in Rochdale who i'd maintain are immune to 'marketing'. That's not to say that more can't be done to engage with specific groups within the town, including schools, ethnic minorities and businessfolk. But apart from giving people money to turn up, it'll be a long slow process and gimmicks aren't the answer

What is? Success - sustained success on the pitch. The rest is peripheral at best
[Post edited 30 Nov 2021 20:37]

Is it poor marketing 'people in Rochdale' are immune to rather than just marketing?

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: What does Jim need ?

Match Day "Gimmicks" on 20:56 - Nov 30 with 1487 viewsD_Alien

Match Day "Gimmicks" on 20:47 - Nov 30 by James1980

Is it poor marketing 'people in Rochdale' are immune to rather than just marketing?

Both

Match Day "Gimmicks" on 21:16 - Nov 30 with 1459 viewswatford_dale

Kudos to the points very well made

existing sponsors, need to keep them interested and engaged in the club as they may be able to part with more if they feel a sense of connection and lets look after all customers both existing and new and not focus on the new. We have a in with them and we may as well use it.

bars, keep all bars open after the game to maximise revenue. If they want a pint, see the full times and watch a bit of the EPL we may as make some money as opposed to someone else.

cash turnstiles - pro-active selling, love it, card readers may be required but this would be a perfect initiative to actively get the cash and don't give people time to change their minds.

more than a mascot - tricky one but perhaps have him hang around the M62 to tow a breakdown or pop down mystery creek to rescue some children from a well and he will definitely be deserving of the 'more than a mascot' title.

To keep the kids interested, could we (many apologies if someone is all over this) look at non-fungible tokens - these are digital tokens that can be associated with photo's etc and can be traded. These are more associated with the youth as they are more accepting of this and happy to store it on their phone. Arsenal, Leeds, Villa, City and Everton have just picked this up. Very quick ay to grow your fanbase.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024