Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Smoking outside pubs 21:56 - Aug 29 with 8760 viewscolinallcars

I'm an ex pipe and cigar smoker but jacked it in when Tony Blair banned smoking in pubs.
Now talk of banning it in pub gardens.
I know it's a health risk but so are many things. Smoking outside won't have a deleterious effect on other peoples' health and the pub trade has problems aplenty - any thoughts ?
Smoking outside pubs on 22:13 - Aug 29 with 4487 viewsguitarzan

I’m not a smoker but this is a step too far
Smoking outside pubs on 22:21 - Aug 29 with 4420 viewsLandshark

Smoking outside pubs on 22:13 - Aug 29 by guitarzan

Not far enough in my opinion. It should be banned everywhere. It's vile and selfish.

I think the old government were talking about raising the legal age a year every year. Slowly phase smoking out. Get to it.
Smoking outside pubs on 22:27 - Aug 29 with 4390 viewskensalriser

Would be lovely to not have to walk through clouds of second hand smoke and vape in the Ellerslie concourse.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Smoking outside pubs on 22:28 - Aug 29 with 4383 viewsNed_Kennedys

Smoking outside pubs on 22:21 - Aug 29 by Landshark

Not far enough in my opinion. It should be banned everywhere. It's vile and selfish.

I think the old government were talking about raising the legal age a year every year. Slowly phase smoking out. Get to it.

No it shouldn’t. People are free to choose whether you like it or not.
Banning smoking in the open air is ridiculous: fine in a specific dining area but not just in a pub garden FFS. Will lead to more pub closures as even more people decide to drink at home.
Smoking outside pubs on 23:01 - Aug 29 with 4286 viewsdaveB

i think banning in pub gardens is a bit over the top, I'm a non smoker but just stay away from the outdoor smoking area of my local, is not a problem for me and if people want to smoke there thats upto them, this will kill pubs off completely
Smoking outside pubs on 23:22 - Aug 29 with 4224 views222gers

I don't smoke but don't see anything wrong with someone having a Harry Wragg in a pub garden, and contributing to the treasury ( in alco and smoking duties ).
There are many more anti social things than that.
Smoking outside pubs on 23:24 - Aug 29 with 4208 viewsstowmarketrange

Smoking outside pubs on 23:01 - Aug 29 by daveB

i think banning in pub gardens is a bit over the top, I'm a non smoker but just stay away from the outdoor smoking area of my local, is not a problem for me and if people want to smoke there thats upto them, this will kill pubs off completely

And possibly football clubs too.How many of our fans can’t go without their fix for 90 minutes now?Some will possibly decide not to bother coming,or to sneak into the toilets to have a crafty drag instead.
Smoking outside pubs on 23:33 - Aug 29 with 4165 viewscolinallcars

I walk past the William Morris in King Street Hammersmith v often and they've had an outside smoking ban for quite a while, although many of the smokers were smoking joints.

Edit..smoking weed in public is by and large accepted and so is shop-lifting,
but not , it seems, having a “snout” in a pub garden.

[Post edited 29 Aug 23:40]
Login to get fewer ads

Smoking outside pubs on 00:01 - Aug 30 with 4061 viewsnumptydumpty

Never been a smoker but it's actually been a good move re indoor spaces but outside as well, bit harsh.

Used to drink a fair amount years ago but hardly ever do now, but can't see the difference between alcohol and smoking if they considering this for health reasons.

I personally have no issues with people that like a drink but if they thinking of banning smoking for health reasons what's the logic regarding alcohol if this is in the thinking.

Is that the next step....

Overdrinking can cause many many more admissions to A and E on a weekend evening, many more than people having a smoke in the garden.

Not logical.

If they doing this, how about stopping politicians popping into the commons to vote after doing business in the house of commons bar when really they should be in the commons listening and contributing to debates they have to vote on. Their job is not to spend their time having a few beers in the bar during this time when they are making the so called laws of the land !!!!

Weird decisions by politicians- who could have predicted that - not many jobs today where you can get away with having shedloads to drink during working hours !!!

Don't have a bar in the houses of Parliament !!!

Maybe that might make sense !!!!

[Post edited 30 Aug 0:08]

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

Smoking outside pubs on 00:55 - Aug 30 with 3973 viewsHooping_Mad

Couple it with a 10p hike in fuel duty and it seems it's not just the old & the poor but also small businesses that mean nothing to this lot.

What do they care about?

Chairman of the Junior Hoilett appreciation society

Smoking outside pubs on 01:23 - Aug 30 with 3907 viewsHAYESBOY

I think if you are outside in an area where you are serving food. It should be banned.
Outside on the street, no, you cant ban that.
As for outside schools, I would have no problem with putting a ban in close areas near the school..

Smells like a trout farm in here

Smoking outside pubs on 01:26 - Aug 30 with 3890 viewsBoston

Smoking outside pubs on 22:27 - Aug 29 by kensalriser

Would be lovely to not have to walk through clouds of second hand smoke and vape in the Ellerslie concourse.

I'll put you down for Death Penalty then.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Smoking outside pubs on 04:35 - Aug 30 with 3760 viewsstowmarketrange

Smoking outside pubs on 00:01 - Aug 30 by numptydumpty

Never been a smoker but it's actually been a good move re indoor spaces but outside as well, bit harsh.

Used to drink a fair amount years ago but hardly ever do now, but can't see the difference between alcohol and smoking if they considering this for health reasons.

I personally have no issues with people that like a drink but if they thinking of banning smoking for health reasons what's the logic regarding alcohol if this is in the thinking.

Overdrinking can cause many many more admissions to A and E on a weekend evening, many more than people having a smoke in the garden.

Not logical.

If they doing this, how about stopping politicians popping into the commons to vote after doing business in the house of commons bar when really they should be in the commons listening and contributing to debates they have to vote on. Their job is not to spend their time having a few beers in the bar during this time when they are making the so called laws of the land !!!!

Weird decisions by politicians- who could have predicted that - not many jobs today where you can get away with having shedloads to drink during working hours !!!

You forgot to mention that the bars in the House of Commons are subsidised by us.
Smoking outside pubs on 05:55 - Aug 30 with 3668 viewsSydneyRs

Smoking outside pubs on 00:01 - Aug 30 by numptydumpty

Not logical.

Biggest difference with alcohol is the pint you are drinking can't affect the person next to you. Indirectly maybe of course, if you end up in a fight etc.

Certainly don't miss the days when pubs were full of smoke. I was a social smoker back then but gave up long ago. Awful for non smoking staff especially. Clothes stinking of stale tobacco every morning after too, even if you hadn't touched one yourself. I'm even just about old enough to recall people smoking at their desks in the office.

I remember when they first started clamping down Wetherspoons would have a designated smoking area and we'd go there because a couple of mates smoked and also the aforementioned social smoking. The ridiculous bit was everyone was in the same room/space and there were signs hanging off the ceiling for smokers/non smokers to stand either side of. No word of a lie, one night we had drifted to the wrong side and were addressed by pub staff. We all took one step from where we we standing and were given the all clear to continue with our evening.
Smoking outside pubs on 06:28 - Aug 30 with 3593 viewsplasmahoop

I think tbis os a bad sign. Last time labour were in they did their best to kill off pubs with endless tax risrs, smoking ban followed by the alcohol escalator. Now theyve returned to finish the job. I am concerned about the local darts league im in, a fair few folk probably won't bother coming out anymore. And as some of them are old its probably not going to make much difference to them now.
Smoking outside pubs on 06:40 - Aug 30 with 3545 viewsSydneyRs

Smoking outside pubs on 06:28 - Aug 30 by plasmahoop

I think tbis os a bad sign. Last time labour were in they did their best to kill off pubs with endless tax risrs, smoking ban followed by the alcohol escalator. Now theyve returned to finish the job. I am concerned about the local darts league im in, a fair few folk probably won't bother coming out anymore. And as some of them are old its probably not going to make much difference to them now.

Without wanting to turn this political as we've had more than enough of that on here recently, pubs didn't exactly prosper under the 14 years of the last government either. Its more of a social change I think. Also people care about their health more than they used to. You already can't smoke inside and that's been the case for ages, doubt changes to the outside rules will make too much difference.

I don't know about the UK, but certainly here on the whole young people don't seem to drink the way we did when young. My kids are both old enough to drink now but neither do very much and I'm quite glad about that. I got drunk every weekend from late teens to about 30, I'd rather they did less of that.
Smoking outside pubs on 06:51 - Aug 30 with 3492 viewsRanger_Things

Smoking outside pubs on 01:23 - Aug 30 by HAYESBOY

I think if you are outside in an area where you are serving food. It should be banned.
Outside on the street, no, you cant ban that.
As for outside schools, I would have no problem with putting a ban in close areas near the school..

When I first read the proposals in the press I can honestly say I had no opinion whatsoever. Ban or stay as it is, I don’t have a problem with it. However the above suggestion does seem like a decent compromise and may have the desired effect the government are trying to achieve. The original smoking bans combined with big price/tax increases definitely saved lives and I think something like this could build on that.
Smoking outside pubs on 07:09 - Aug 30 with 3435 viewsplasmahoop

Smoking outside pubs on 06:40 - Aug 30 by SydneyRs

Without wanting to turn this political as we've had more than enough of that on here recently, pubs didn't exactly prosper under the 14 years of the last government either. Its more of a social change I think. Also people care about their health more than they used to. You already can't smoke inside and that's been the case for ages, doubt changes to the outside rules will make too much difference.

I don't know about the UK, but certainly here on the whole young people don't seem to drink the way we did when young. My kids are both old enough to drink now but neither do very much and I'm quite glad about that. I got drunk every weekend from late teens to about 30, I'd rather they did less of that.

Fair enough, i think it depends what the alternative is to the pub though. Im not saying thats what your kids do obviously, but there has been a rise in computer games, and round here kids hanging around in the car park taking that laughing gas. Personally i think playing sport/ games and having a few beers is better all round, but maybe that will just be a thing of the past
Smoking outside pubs on 07:14 - Aug 30 with 3378 viewshubble

Smoking outside pubs on 22:13 - Aug 29 by guitarzan

I'm an ex-smoker and TBH I now hate smoke from 'straights', but nevertheless, I think this is classic 'nanny state' government. As others have said in this thread, there are far, far worse social problems than this. In fact, I'd go so far as to say it's none of their fcking business. Thin end of the wedge and all that.

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Smoking outside pubs on 07:21 - Aug 30 with 3363 viewsstevec

Smoking outside pubs on 00:55 - Aug 30 by Hooping_Mad

Couple it with a 10p hike in fuel duty and it seems it's not just the old & the poor but also small businesses that mean nothing to this lot.

What do they care about?

Well they’re trying to kill the oil industry, now they’re going for hospitality, I suspect they won’t be happy until they’ve killed off all private industry in this country.

As for two tiers plan to save 70,000 people from related illnesses, the truth is they want us to live longer so dementia takes us instead, that way the state get to take your house whereas with designated illnesses like cancer the nhs has to cover your illness until death. Note they’ve also dropped the plan on a limit on social care costs. It’s all clear if you look hard enough.
Smoking outside pubs on 07:23 - Aug 30 with 3339 viewsHayesender

Do you know what else is bad for public health? Cutting the winter fuel allowance.

Don't give me all this nonsense about their doing it out of concern for our health, it's just another way to control us, and in doing so completely kill off the pub.

Soon the prisons will be full of people who said a naughty word on social media, and those caught having a crafty fag by some north Korean style facial recognition camera

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Smoking outside pubs on 07:30 - Aug 30 with 3279 viewsGus_iom

Smoking outside pubs on 00:55 - Aug 30 by Hooping_Mad

What do they care about?

Managing. They're managerial. Oh, and treading more lightly in your life.

There's a really good C.S. Lewis quote about the despotism of do-gooders, and in my view it's apolitical so.....

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victims may be the most oppressive....those who torment us will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience "
[Post edited 30 Aug 7:42]
Smoking outside pubs on 08:57 - Aug 30 with 3069 viewsbaz_qpr

I'm a lefty and agree it's a step too far. Ex smoker now vaper. I get the economic argument against the costs of the NHS and I understand the nudge psychology the indoor / public place ban had a huge impact (though not as much as the development of vaping alternatives). In Singapore where they have this people just walk down the road so I dont actually think it would have much impact for the political cost. Saying that 55% are in favour according to the polling
Smoking outside pubs on 09:02 - Aug 30 with 3051 viewspriceyparkrangers

Non smoker and very happy they banned it indoors, this is all a bit too Big Brother for me.

What next? Can’t smoke in your own garden?

With all the black holes in the budget they seem happy to waste money on this type of nonsense
Smoking outside pubs on 09:08 - Aug 30 with 3025 viewsjohann28

Smoking outside pubs on 09:02 - Aug 30 by priceyparkrangers

Non smoker and very happy they banned it indoors, this is all a bit too Big Brother for me.

What next? Can’t smoke in your own garden?

With all the black holes in the budget they seem happy to waste money on this type of nonsense

Agree. It's not so much this as a) haven't they got more serious things to be going on with and b) what's on the health people's radar next - I fear it's going to be some form of attack on alcohol sales/consumption, which would simply ruin my life.
[Post edited 30 Aug 11:29]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024