Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Where are all the insects? 15:54 - Jul 22 with 12237 viewshubble

It's the height of summer. Usually there are loads of insects buzzing around, especially flies. Right now, in the corner of West London, there are none.

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Where are all the insects? on 15:56 - Jul 22 with 4359 viewsTheChef

Plenty round Edgware, I've not noticed any difference.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Where are all the insects? on 15:58 - Jul 22 with 4317 viewsSonofpugwash

The quality of grass here is causing alarm in the farming community here as well.Normally we have loads of butterflies but now nothing - and very few bees.
They continue to spray the skies.

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

Where are all the insects? on 15:59 - Jul 22 with 4321 viewshantssi

I think they’ve all drowned!
Where are all the insects? on 16:04 - Jul 22 with 4279 viewshubble

Where are all the insects? on 15:56 - Jul 22 by TheChef

Plenty round Edgware, I've not noticed any difference.

That's good to know. I'm genuinely concerned. I mean normally in the front garden there would be plenty buzzing around and lots of flies in the kitchen. There are none.

Where are all the insects? on 16:12 - Jul 22 with 4240 viewsdmm

Without insects our ecological systems will collapse. There should be much more concern about this than there is. For example, a survey by Kent Wildlife Trust and Buglife showed a 78% decline in “bug splats” on number plates across the UK since 2004.

Added to the other ecological crises going on, it looks like we're increasingly careering down a steep slope to devastation.
Where are all the insects? on 16:22 - Jul 22 with 4192 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Where are all the insects? on 16:12 - Jul 22 by dmm

Without insects our ecological systems will collapse. There should be much more concern about this than there is. For example, a survey by Kent Wildlife Trust and Buglife showed a 78% decline in “bug splats” on number plates across the UK since 2004.

Added to the other ecological crises going on, it looks like we're increasingly careering down a steep slope to devastation.

I'd be surprised if you were not the subject of some ridicule!

The delicate balance of mother nature is such, that the smallest living organism plays its role in the greater scheme of things. And yet, look at us, what we are doing, and more importantly, not doing. The decline appears more existential by the day.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Where are all the insects? on 16:23 - Jul 22 with 4189 viewsHamptonR

The grass verges, where I live are not being cut, to encourage the bees and other wildlife to flourish, rather than cutting costs.
I haven't seen a bee and very few wasps.

Currently in West Sussex, loads of moths and butterflies, but again no bees.
Where are all the insects? on 16:37 - Jul 22 with 4133 viewsHayesender

Where are all the insects? on 16:23 - Jul 22 by HamptonR

The grass verges, where I live are not being cut, to encourage the bees and other wildlife to flourish, rather than cutting costs.
I haven't seen a bee and very few wasps.

Currently in West Sussex, loads of moths and butterflies, but again no bees.

Also in West Sussex. I haven't seen one wasp all summer yet, and no more than a handful of bees. Sat in a field on Saturday in Arundel for a music festival, and not once did I have to swat anything away from my food or drink.

We should be very concerned about this

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Login to get fewer ads

Where are all the insects? on 16:41 - Jul 22 with 4108 viewsHooping_Mad

Where are all the insects? on 16:37 - Jul 22 by Hayesender

Also in West Sussex. I haven't seen one wasp all summer yet, and no more than a handful of bees. Sat in a field on Saturday in Arundel for a music festival, and not once did I have to swat anything away from my food or drink.

We should be very concerned about this

What were you drinking?

Chairman of the Junior Hoilett appreciation society

Where are all the insects? on 16:46 - Jul 22 with 4068 viewsPunteR

Now you've come to mention it, there isnt a lot of bugs flying about. Although ive seen 2 female stag beetles which is pretty rare.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Where are all the insects? on 16:49 - Jul 22 with 4067 views222gers

I haven't noticed the famous annual Flying Ant Day, although there were a couple of days that I didn't go out.
How the flying ants coordinate with one another baffles me.
Where are all the insects? on 16:53 - Jul 22 with 4057 viewsDesertBoot

Scarring the sky with chemtrails is causing all this rain which is having a huge impact on nature. Butterflies and bees a rare site these days here in NW1 and I'm right next to Regent's Park!
Look how quickly it clouds over when the geo-engineers have done their thing.

Wish I could be like David Watts

Where are all the insects? on 17:03 - Jul 22 with 4011 viewsLblock

We sent out a request for more........ they will be arriving on a small dingy next few days.

I think you're all mad.

I've seen nothing but bundles of insects, even more flying ants than ever this year.
Bee's? Swarmed by 'em mate -- fella whose garden backs onto me has an 8 foot high hive bang in the middle of a dense street in West London (dense as in population, not those who actually live in it) -- I've been stung three times so far.
Bumblers? Loads of 'em.... everywhere.
Finally, flies. I kin hate 'em and I'm constantly chasing the fluckers out of my kitchen - still loads about.

Has Ealing become a nature reserve?

Butterflies and dragonflies actually in plentiful quantum over Hanwell Meadow (aka Warren Farm but don't get me started

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Where are all the insects? on 17:04 - Jul 22 with 4013 viewsCateLeBonR

Where are all the insects? on 16:49 - Jul 22 by 222gers

I haven't noticed the famous annual Flying Ant Day, although there were a couple of days that I didn't go out.

Happy to report we had flying ant day last Wednesday in this part of west London. Also happy to report that they’ve all buggered off now.
[Post edited 22 Jul 17:11]
Where are all the insects? on 17:05 - Jul 22 with 4001 viewsstevec

They’ve probably all gone to a warmer country.

Most of us only stay here because it’s a nightmare getting out of this place, a passport, digital tickets, countless regulations, all different, if you want to take some luggage with you, liquids, customs, it’s never ending. If you’re a bee you can take one look at this country, think fck this, and off you go.

Get to net zero and there won’t be a bug in the Northern Hemisphere. They’ll all be sunning themselves down South.
Where are all the insects? on 17:07 - Jul 22 with 3958 viewsrobith

Where are all the insects? on 16:49 - Jul 22 by 222gers

I had the misfortune to cycle home on flying ant day the other day. Thank od I had my glasses on, i was being peppered with the lad
Where are all the insects? on 17:24 - Jul 22 with 3872 viewsSheffieldHoop

Where are all the insects? on 17:03 - Jul 22 by Lblock

We sent out a request for more........ they will be arriving on a small dingy next few days.

I think you're all mad.

I've seen nothing but bundles of insects, even more flying ants than ever this year.
Bee's? Swarmed by 'em mate -- fella whose garden backs onto me has an 8 foot high hive bang in the middle of a dense street in West London (dense as in population, not those who actually live in it) -- I've been stung three times so far.
Finally, flies. I kin hate 'em and I'm constantly chasing the fluckers out of my kitchen - still loads about.

Butterflies and dragonflies actually in plentiful quantum over Hanwell Meadow (aka Warren Farm but don't get me started

Had mobs of flying ants pouring out of about 3 separate locations in my garden on Wednesday last week.

Got a couple of these for dealing with flies. Also works a treat on larger moths, but struggles with tiny stuff.

"Someone despises me. That's their problem." Marcus Aurelius

Where are all the insects? on 17:25 - Jul 22 with 3877 viewsBoston

Around these parts we encourage diversity by having no mow May, followed by all mo June.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Where are all the insects? on 17:26 - Jul 22 with 3876 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

The wet and cool weather in late spring/early summer causes honeybees to stay in their hives, eating the honeycomb. They only appear once the temperature warms.
Other pollinators are the same, so you might see small bumblebees as they haven't been out and are under weight.

Less insects is impacting bat numbers as there is less to eat.

I'm in SW London and the insects have only just started appearing in the last couple of weeks as we finally have some summer weather.
Where are all the insects? on 17:28 - Jul 22 with 3861 viewsbosh67

If you want to see more insects, and in particular bees plant sea holly in your garden or in a deep pot so it can establish itself. Other insects use it but it is huge in attracting and helping bees.

Also if you have room build a pond and put pond plants like frog bit and water lettuce around it. Also oxygenating plants in the pond. You can build a pond in an old tyre and just put a liner in it and back fill it.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Where are all the insects? on 17:34 - Jul 22 with 3838 viewsstowmarketrange

Where are all the insects? on 17:07 - Jul 22 by robith

I had the misfortune to cycle home on flying ant day the other day. Thank od I had my glasses on, i was being peppered with the lad

A bloke passed me on his bike at the weekend and he had what looked like a bee keepers mask covering his face and it was connected to his cycling helmet.A very good idea I thought.
We normally have a lot of flying insects out here in the countryside,but there hasn’t been many this year so far.A few hot and sunny days will bring a few more out in the open.
[Post edited 22 Jul 17:43]
Where are all the insects? on 17:44 - Jul 22 with 3798 viewsBoston

Where are all the insects? on 17:24 - Jul 22 by SheffieldHoop

Had mobs of flying ants pouring out of about 3 separate locations in my garden on Wednesday last week.

Got a couple of these for dealing with flies. Also works a treat on larger moths, but struggles with tiny stuff.

Ants y'say....

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Where are all the insects? on 17:58 - Jul 22 with 3745 viewshubble

Okay, I have just done a tour of the neighbourhood in the interests of research and the LFW community. I walked 2.9 miles (according to my phone) through W9, W10 and NW10.

I tried to cross the canal at Ha'penny Steps, but they were closed off by police tape and there were police all over the place on the south side, because of the young lad who was murdered there yesterday afternoon. So instead I worked my way around to Great Western Road, over the bridge and down into Meanwhile Gardens. By this stage, I still hadn't seen a single fly, bee, hoverfly, or butterfly in any of the gardens, not even on the stands of buddleia dotted here and there. I did see one large wasp. So I thought I would go and see what was happening in the community gardens where there are full time gardeners. I popped my head into their shed and said: where are all the bees!

They laughed and said, you're the third person who's asked that today!

So it's not just me then. However one of the gardeners said 'come with me' and she showed me around the insect friendly beds, where I am happy to report I saw loads of bees, hoverflies, some cabbage whites, a mayfly and even a red admiral. We then discussed the issues of the lack of insects in the rest of the area. She put it down to a combination of no bee friendly flowers, weather and... "something going on with the bees...''

I continued my walk along the canal to Ladbroke Grove, nearly getting run over several times by maniac cyclists, and then to Kensal Green cemetery, in the hope of continuing my research there, but I discovered that the East Gate is closed at 4.30 pm. On my way back, I paid homage to our beloved club by visiting the site of our formation at St Jude's Institute (now St Jude's Hall) on the corner of Ilbert Street and 4th Avenue. In Queen's Park Gardens opposite I saw plenty of bees and other insects in the wildflower beds, but everywhere else I walked was strangely barren of insect life, apart from one hollyhock filled garden, which sported a solitary bumble bee.

So all in all, an inconclusive survey. Summat's up, I tell thee. Good to read all of your reports above though.

[Post edited 22 Jul 18:03]

Where are all the insects? on 17:59 - Jul 22 with 3746 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Where are all the insects? on 17:03 - Jul 22 by Lblock

I think you're all mad.

The LBoE have done tremendous work rewilding Horsenden Hill, and long may it continue.

The saddest most annoying thing, however, is when I'm back and walking around the area, and you see trash just discarded. Ignorant cnts needing a slap.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Where are all the insects? on 18:17 - Jul 22 with 3671 viewsdmm

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024