Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. 20:45 - Jul 6 with 18376 viewsEsox_Lucius

Same starting XI and result as the 1/4 final for me.

The grass is always greener.

England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 14:42 - Jul 8 with 2079 viewsW4Hoop

England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 13:01 - Jul 8 by BlackCrowe

It matters 'how' we play not 'who'. And having a team of rare talent that's set up not to lose, is not what football is about for me. Anyway enough of all that...

"we're pretty embarrassing on the global football stage so far, as my work colleagues from various countries are quick to point out."

Is one of those countries France? If so, you might want to remind them that France has yet to score a goal from open play in this tournament.
England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 15:50 - Jul 8 with 1961 viewsdsw2509

I went to all of the Wembley games in Euro 96. There are some weird parallels with that tournament, from my perspective. I am thinking primarily of how we started badly and slowly improved (in both tournaments).

It has taken us a bit longer to hit our straps this time though (compared to 1996).Now we are in the semis and there has not been a really convincing performance yet (but I have to say Switzerland were well organised and only the new improved penalty taking got us over the line).

Now we have to play top teams and if we can win those two games, it will be a testament to Southgate’s management. He can leave at the top and his knighthood will have been well earned. I think we can do it. I would be really fed up though if we lose to NL and Weghorst scores.
England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 16:40 - Jul 8 with 1897 viewsderbyhoop

The England team that won the World Cup in 1966 ( I'm old enough to gave gone to 2 of the games) had 4 players who were the best in the world for their positions. Banks, Moore, Wilson and Bobby Charlton.
No England side since has been as blessed. Certainly not this one.
For years we've been ranked between 4 and 10 in the world, so reaching the semis of major competitions is better than any reasonable expectation

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 20:41 - Jul 8 with 1798 viewsSnipper

I’ve just shelled out €600 for a semi final ticket.

It’s once in a lifetime territory for me.

Twice in a lifetime if we win and get to the final.
England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 21:51 - Jul 8 with 1755 viewsLblock

England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 20:41 - Jul 8 by Snipper

I’ve just shelled out €600 for a semi final ticket.

It’s once in a lifetime territory for me.

Twice in a lifetime if we win and get to the final.

Fair play

Enjoy the trip, stay safe and huge hopes we get the result

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 22:14 - Jul 8 with 1727 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 14:13 - Jul 8 by SheffieldHoop

Barry supports England as an act of progressive defiance, as a means of reclaiming the cursed red-and-white flag from the reactionaries and the hooligans and the white supremacists........You think you are, but you're not fooling anybody.

Shouldn’t you be off inventing scenarios and placing yourself as the victim in them?
England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 03:11 - Jul 9 with 1655 viewsSydneyRs

While our penalty performance in the last game was excellent, I've been a bit concerned about the praise heaped on it in the media. Even seen one or two mentions of us possibly being the best in the world at it. Silly.

Toney's technique is amazing but can you imagine the pelters he'll get if he misses one and it causes us to go out? Older fans may remember when Trevor Francis first joined and scored a couple of pens off a one or two step run up (which nobody really did at the time). I think he made comments about having developed the technique. He then of course missed the next one and the then manager (Jim Smith?) basically said the technique was rubbish!
England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 03:16 - Jul 9 with 1651 viewsSydneyRs

England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 14:22 - Jul 8 by daveB

So on one hand it's irrelevant comparing eras and on the other the 2004 team were better and unluckier?

England have always had very good players, going back to days of Keegan winning the Ballon D'or, we've always had 3/4 outstanding players in the team sometimes more.

The relevance is Robson is looked back on as a great England manager but the same things the current manager is getting slated for happened under him as well. Italia 90 crap in the group stage and got a favorable route to the semi final. Robson deserved far more respect at the time and was getting horrific abuse which is comparable to what is happening with Southgate today. He deserves far more respect than he gets.

i think that 2004 and 2006 had some bad luck but also didn't win their group so got a tougher route to the final same as most England teams in those eras.
[Post edited 8 Jul 14:24]

What we haven't always had is technical ability to match other countries. We can compete in that area now. That is the biggest difference for me.

Football is almost a different sport these days, even the so called weaker teams are fit and organised and can play a low block that makes things very difficult. You rarely see score blowouts at this level any more. Obvs Scotland are the exception!
Login to get fewer ads

England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 10:14 - Jul 9 with 1473 viewsdaveB

England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 03:11 - Jul 9 by SydneyRs

While our penalty performance in the last game was excellent, I've been a bit concerned about the praise heaped on it in the media. Even seen one or two mentions of us possibly being the best in the world at it. Silly.

Toney's technique is amazing but can you imagine the pelters he'll get if he misses one and it causes us to go out? Older fans may remember when Trevor Francis first joined and scored a couple of pens off a one or two step run up (which nobody really did at the time). I think he made comments about having developed the technique. He then of course missed the next one and the then manager (Jim Smith?) basically said the technique was rubbish!

they've gone far too early on us being great at penalties as we'll probably lose the next one
England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 10:33 - Jul 9 with 1420 viewsJuzzie

As with anything in football it's only good if you win but it was bad/wrong if you lose.

penatlties... team selection...tactics...substitutions....
England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. (n/t) on 11:18 - Jul 9 with 1335 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 10:33 - Jul 9 by Juzzie

As with anything in football it's only good if you win but it was bad/wrong if you lose.

penatlties... team selection...tactics...substitutions....

[Post edited 9 Jul 11:21]
England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 11:21 - Jul 9 with 1329 viewsPlanetHonneywood

England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 03:11 - Jul 9 by SydneyRs

The only saving grace to that penalty miss, was that it was fluffed it at the old Den, thus we avoided inflamming the locals.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 11:53 - Jul 9 with 1265 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Can anyone sane explain to me how a referee can be found guilty of match fixing and then go on to referee a semi final of a major tournament?

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/story/_/id/40519432/euro-2024-england-netherland
England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 12:00 - Jul 9 with 1239 viewsBucksRanger

England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 11:53 - Jul 9 by BazzaInTheLoft

Can anyone sane explain to me how a referee can be found guilty of match fixing and then go on to referee a semi final of a major tournament?

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/story/_/id/40519432/euro-2024-england-netherland

He served his sentence and, presumably, promised to behave in future.

Would you rather he was never allowed to referee another game again?
England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 12:08 - Jul 9 with 1222 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 12:00 - Jul 9 by BucksRanger

He served his sentence and, presumably, promised to behave in future.

Would you rather he was never allowed to referee another game again?

Absolutely
England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 12:18 - Jul 9 with 1202 viewsSunnyVanGo

Good to read varying views on where this England team is at.

A question on bigger picture
How much of the success / underachievement is down to infrastructure?
Can success be measured in a more nuanced way other than tournament qualification and progress?

Interesting to go back to 2012, St George’s Park opening and what was being said about the future we’re currently in.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/19881116

David Sheepshanks, chairman of St George's Park, said the new complex can help England close the gap on recent World Cup winners such as France and Spain.
"This is a place to inspire young people and young coaches to invest in themselves and go beyond just getting the badge," he said.
"The teachers of the game have the defining influence. We are investing in the teachers so that we can get ahead of what they are doing in France and Spain.
"This is a deliberately long-term view. Really it is the investment in coaches that is crucial and from 2020 onwards we will have winning England teams."
England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 12:26 - Jul 9 with 1173 viewsPlanetHonneywood

The only saving grace to that penalty miss, was that it was fluffed it at the old Den, thus we avoided inflamming the locals.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 15:40 - Jul 9 with 1030 viewsSheffieldHoop

England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 22:14 - Jul 8 by BazzaInTheLoft

Shouldn’t you be off inventing scenarios and placing yourself as the victim in them?

What are you talking about? Inventing scenarios like what?

"Someone despises me. That's their problem." Marcus Aurelius

England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 16:32 - Jul 9 with 923 viewshoopedmonkey

The unenlightened elightened
England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 17:22 - Jul 9 with 853 viewsBucksRanger

England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 12:08 - Jul 9 by BazzaInTheLoft

Absolutely

So, no foregiveness in your world which is odd. When you and I first tangled it was because of your leniency towards drug dealers whereas I had little to none for those dealing in Class A drugs. You are a strange beast Bazza. Kind to people who destroy lives, hardline with people who take a bung.
England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 17:27 - Jul 9 with 840 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 17:22 - Jul 9 by BucksRanger

So, no foregiveness in your world which is odd. When you and I first tangled it was because of your leniency towards drug dealers whereas I had little to none for those dealing in Class A drugs. You are a strange beast Bazza. Kind to people who destroy lives, hardline with people who take a bung.

Yeah that’s not what I said about drug dealers. Dig it up if you like.

It’s not about forgiveness it’s about legitimacy.
[Post edited 9 Jul 17:28]
England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 17:35 - Jul 9 with 811 viewsBucksRanger

England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 17:27 - Jul 9 by BazzaInTheLoft

Yeah that’s not what I said about drug dealers. Dig it up if you like.

It’s not about forgiveness it’s about legitimacy.
[Post edited 9 Jul 17:28]

Are you saying it's not legitimate to lock up drug dealers? That there's something wrong with punishing them?

Locking up drug users is another matter.
England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 17:36 - Jul 9 with 809 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 17:35 - Jul 9 by BucksRanger

Are you saying it's not legitimate to lock up drug dealers? That there's something wrong with punishing them?

Locking up drug users is another matter.

You’ve brought up drug dealers not me.
England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 17:40 - Jul 9 with 799 viewsBucksRanger

England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 17:36 - Jul 9 by BazzaInTheLoft

You’ve brought up drug dealers not me.

As a comparison to your hardline lifelong ban on referees who have taken money to fix a game. You appear to have a very harsh outlook on dodgy refs compared to dodgy drug dealers. Just trying to understand you a bit more clearly.
England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 17:51 - Jul 9 with 779 viewsLblock

England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 17:40 - Jul 9 by BucksRanger

As a comparison to your hardline lifelong ban on referees who have taken money to fix a game. You appear to have a very harsh outlook on dodgy refs compared to dodgy drug dealers. Just trying to understand you a bit more clearly.

I am actually typing this - my account has not been hacked but - - - - I agree with Bazza!!!

The fella should have been drummed out of the game full stop.
I do appreciate he got some leniency for full co-operation, he was the assistant blah, blah, blah... but any debatable or honest error decision he makes will be called into question forever no matter what game he refs.

Gotta love this MB going down the rabbit hole of drug dealers on a thread about England but....
Would you trust that dodgy drug dealer to be in a rehab centre? Not sure I would so agree on that one as well.
However..... if he has some decent gear to get us through the game tomorow night then get me his number!

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024