Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. 20:45 - Jul 6 with 18378 viewsEsox_Lucius

Same starting XI and result as the 1/4 final for me.

The grass is always greener.

England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 19:37 - Jul 7 with 1983 viewsPhilmyRs

England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 19:28 - Jul 7 by paulparker

What hypocrisy , we have been Sh1t all tournament and every single game we play it’s even worse than the previous one we have played in

You think yesterday was worse than Slovakia? A team that comfortably won against the champions thought we were much improved, although still so much more we can do.
England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 20:08 - Jul 7 with 1907 viewspaulparker

England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 19:37 - Jul 7 by PhilmyRs

You think yesterday was worse than Slovakia? A team that comfortably won against the champions thought we were much improved, although still so much more we can do.

Yes, we didn’t have a shot on target until the equaliser , the Swiss were making changes to win the game and Southgate sat on his hands and did nothing until going a goal down , he is a reactive manager not pro active and even when we got the goal the Swiss looked like scoring more than us despite us having 6 attacking players on the field

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 20:27 - Jul 7 with 1872 viewsNorthernr

Well, I don't think we've been very good all tournament either. I think the body language looks off, like two bits of the squad have fallen out with each other or they're not having the manager. I also didn't think we played particularly well yesterday. But it was clearly better, much better. Perfect? Nah. Good? Probably not. But a big improvement on the four games before it, IMO. And, for all the criticism, idiot Southgate achieves another semi final, something which Robson and Venables were lauded for doing once.
England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 20:30 - Jul 7 with 1870 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 19:28 - Jul 7 by paulparker

What hypocrisy , we have been Sh1t all tournament and every single game we play it’s even worse than the previous one we have played in

Yeah, you said already. Maybe 20 times?
England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 20:43 - Jul 7 with 1838 viewsPunteR

As i said on the other thread, I'd take these performances and winning the cup over a more gung ho approach and going out early doors.
I dont see Southgate losing the dressing room, i see it the other way round in fact. I think the players respect him. Yes his method is questionable and possibly another manager would get a different response from the team. Whatever, though. We're in the semi's.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 21:00 - Jul 7 with 1822 viewsPhilmyRs

England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 20:27 - Jul 7 by Northernr

Well, I don't think we've been very good all tournament either. I think the body language looks off, like two bits of the squad have fallen out with each other or they're not having the manager. I also didn't think we played particularly well yesterday. But it was clearly better, much better. Perfect? Nah. Good? Probably not. But a big improvement on the four games before it, IMO. And, for all the criticism, idiot Southgate achieves another semi final, something which Robson and Venables were lauded for doing once.

Agree, thought it wasn’t great but how you can say yesterday was worse than Slovakia is beyond me - a game where I think it’s fair to lay into the manager for poor management. So many people moaning about the lack of activity on the bench - as I said, reckon a number of them would have moved Saka to the left or taken him off, probably for one of or both Palmer and TAA. As it was, he stuck with Saka who was causing damage and he made the difference. But no comments of - well done, good move that. Nothing about meticulously preparing the team for pens, which we now look like we have one of the best set of penalty takers in the tournament. Also learning his lesson so getting them on the pitch earlier than the euro finals. But again, no hint of praise.

Look at France, Portugal, both teams arguably blessed with better players but struggling. England always struggle in tournaments. Southgate has it right when he says they’re not just playing a football match, they’re playing an occasion/an international event, and it really impacts on the players. The fact he’s managing to navigate us through each tournament he’s managed is impressive. I’ve been disappointed with a lot of what he’s done but you also have to praise him for the good he does but so many people can’t bring themselves to, forgetting all the years of slop that’s been fed to us - El Tel as if he was perfect, forgetting had VAR been around we’d gone out at the first knock out game we faced, or Robson and his team which laboured their way through the 1990 World Cup. We’ve always been crap at tournament football, always! The difference is at least Southgate keeps our interest by getting us to an average of a semi final each one he’s managed. The stats don’t lie, he does deserve more respect than what he gets. But, and there is a but, we do have a right to criticise him, I think some of his selections and in game management remains weak and could cost us, but I’ll still say we’ll done when I think he’s earned it.
England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 22:36 - Jul 7 with 1728 viewsLblock

Who’d rejoice in their own country’s exit?

Christ you quickly throw around hyperbole and it’s yourself looking to be the morally outraged!

Did I celebrate the equaliser, the Pickford save, the Saka pen, the TAA winner? You betchya baby.
Can I be happy we’re through whilst at the same time expressing how utterly gash it is to watch? IMHO yes I can.

Nobody can argue his record and, as I said earlier, if he wins this bloody thing he’ll rightly be Sir Gareth.
He’s done it his way which is the Safegate way.
So far it’s justified but he’ll only turn the volume down on his detractors (like me) if he does take the title. The vast majority feel he could get so much more out of his forward players; maybe he’s right and the defensive line needs full on protection.

I liken it to the CandleFace promotion.
A squad that really underachieved yet won the play offs. I celebrated that so hard but we were crap and I despised the Manager.

Just because some of us express a different opinion doesn’t mean we’re wrong or wish to blow up the world whilst torturing kitchens.

As expressed by a few; I’ll be elated if we are in possession of another star above the three lions crest next Sunday evening.
Likewise if we fail I’ll be gutted and angry…. I think in this open and modern free world that’s allowed???

Anyway - CMON INGERLUND

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 23:36 - Jul 7 with 1684 viewsGus_iom

England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 22:36 - Jul 7 by Lblock

Christ you quickly throw around hyperbole and it’s yourself looking to be the morally outraged!

Did I celebrate the equaliser, the Pickford save, the Saka pen, the TAA winner? You betchya baby.
Can I be happy we’re through whilst at the same time expressing how utterly gash it is to watch? IMHO yes I can.

Nobody can argue his record and, as I said earlier, if he wins this bloody thing he’ll rightly be Sir Gareth.
So far it’s justified but he’ll only turn the volume down on his detractors (like me) if he does take the title. The vast majority feel he could get so much more out of his forward players; maybe he’s right and the defensive line needs full on protection.

A squad that really underachieved yet won the play offs. I celebrated that so hard but we were crap and I despised the Manager.

Just because some of us express a different opinion doesn’t mean we’re wrong or wish to blow up the world whilst torturing kitchens.

As expressed by a few; I’ll be elated if we are in possession of another star above the three lions crest next Sunday evening.
Likewise if we fail I’ll be gutted and angry…. I think in this open and modern free world that’s allowed???

Anyway - CMON INGERLUND

Zouma was misunderstood?
Login to get fewer ads

England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 07:29 - Jul 8 with 1583 viewsdaveB

England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 18:33 - Jul 7 by BlackCrowe

We've played five tier 2 or tiers countries and only won one in 90 minutes, and that one could easily have been a draw. It's truly great we're in the Semis but christ for the creators of the beautiful game, we're pretty embarrassing on the global football stage so far, as my work colleagues from various countries are quick to point out.

Is it embarrassing to get to 3 semi finals in 4 tournaments?
I thought it was more embarrassing when we went out in the group at the 2014 world cup then lose to Iceland in 2016 but each to their own
England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 08:00 - Jul 8 with 1561 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 22:36 - Jul 7 by Lblock

Anyway - CMON INGERLUND

‘Nobody can argue his record‘

Could have fcking fooled me.
England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 08:33 - Jul 8 with 1537 viewsBluce_Ree

Southgate's record is pretty good to be fair. Semi-final in 2018 was better than anyone else has done in a while and the final in the Euros, only to lose because three of our players fannied about during the penalty shootout. And another semi now. Can't really argue with that.

And maybe he's not some amazing tactician or leader of men or whatever but if he's not, he's lucky and I'll take that as an attribute right now.

Stefan Moore, Stefan Moore running down the wing. Stefan Moore, Stefan Moore running down the wing. He runs like a cheetah, his crosses couldn't be sweeter. Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore.

England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 09:46 - Jul 8 with 1473 viewsMatch82

England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 08:00 - Jul 8 by BazzaInTheLoft

‘Nobody can argue his record‘

Could have fcking fooled me.

It's a tricky one. He's both got the best record of any English manager at tournaments since Alf Ramsey AND he's arguably underachieved.
England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 10:21 - Jul 8 with 1451 viewsdaveB

I thought England were a lot better against the Swiss but like every other tournament the team we beat are usually viewed as tin pot as soon as the game finishes when in truth that was a very good side we beat at the weekend. Give it 2 years they'll be dismissed the same way a good Sweden side were 6 years ago

I do wonder what enjoyment people want to have from football, If England had played like Spain and Austria and been knocked out by now would that be in anyway better or would we be moaning that playing well means nothing if you don't win.

In 20 years time people will talk about Southgate the way they talk about Bobby Robson now and like with with Robson they'll forget all the abuse they gave him for years and during his last tournament.

England can do better and I think the manager has got a few things wrong this tournament but he's created a winning culture in this team over the last 6 years that I've never seen from England before and he deserves far more respect than what he gets.
England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 11:42 - Jul 8 with 1364 viewsMalintabuk

After the game I was speaking to family and the argument came up about 3 semis in 4 tournaments.... where it was said, yes great, but in reality we should be there as defending champions
I guess we can argue was that Southgate or the players, or argue did we "throw it away", but I think most think it was our best chance to win it, and we never
I for one will rejoice rather than accept if we win this. But there is no denying that Southgate as not set us up.
Taking one L/B whose only appearance was in the quarters after 70 odd mins was not great.
Experimenting in a tournament with players is not great, this is why we have these meaningless friendlies.
Square pegs in round holes again is not ideal.
If you look at England we have possibly the most talented team there. 2 generational talents in Bellingham and Mainoo...and possibly Mainoo is the better player
That don't include Saka, Foden, Kane and Palmer. Rice is possibly one of the best holding players in Europe, and if there is a CH that as had a better tournament than Guéhi I'd be surprised.
We all do have opinions and perhaps greater expectations than reality delivers, but I think we are underperformed, we haven't underachieved.
[Post edited 8 Jul 11:50]
England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 11:52 - Jul 8 with 1341 viewsBlackCrowe

England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 07:29 - Jul 8 by daveB

Is it embarrassing to get to 3 semi finals in 4 tournaments?
I thought it was more embarrassing when we went out in the group at the 2014 world cup then lose to Iceland in 2016 but each to their own

No, that's achievement of sorts.

Scoring 5 goals in 5 games and only winning one in 90 minutes against tier 2 and 3 teams is not.

Don't get me wrong, i am as happy as anyone that we're in SFs but don't have much/any pride in how we are achieving it, which to me matters.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 12:12 - Jul 8 with 1280 viewsdaveB

England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 11:52 - Jul 8 by BlackCrowe

No, that's achievement of sorts.

Scoring 5 goals in 5 games and only winning one in 90 minutes against tier 2 and 3 teams is not.

Don't get me wrong, i am as happy as anyone that we're in SFs but don't have much/any pride in how we are achieving it, which to me matters.

Does it matter who we play? The pressure on these games is insane and the Swiss are a very good side who knocked out the French last time, getting past them into the semi final with all the pressure on that team and manager is a hell of an achievement.

As soon as the game finishes it's only the Swiss and it will be the worst Dutch team since time began if we win on Wednesday and that French/Spanish team are rubbish if we win the final

last world cup we scored loads of goals and were good to watch, a 6-1 and then two 3-0 wins beating the African champions but home in the Quarter Finals after playing really well against the French

The downbeat nature on here and social media about England is quite sad to see.

France in the semi final having scored 3 goals all tournament, 2 of them own goals
Portugal won the Euros in 2016 finishing 3rd in their group then drawing 2 games before beating Wales was hardly breathtaking.
England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 13:01 - Jul 8 with 1209 viewsBlackCrowe

England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 12:12 - Jul 8 by daveB

Does it matter who we play? The pressure on these games is insane and the Swiss are a very good side who knocked out the French last time, getting past them into the semi final with all the pressure on that team and manager is a hell of an achievement.

As soon as the game finishes it's only the Swiss and it will be the worst Dutch team since time began if we win on Wednesday and that French/Spanish team are rubbish if we win the final

last world cup we scored loads of goals and were good to watch, a 6-1 and then two 3-0 wins beating the African champions but home in the Quarter Finals after playing really well against the French

France in the semi final having scored 3 goals all tournament, 2 of them own goals
Portugal won the Euros in 2016 finishing 3rd in their group then drawing 2 games before beating Wales was hardly breathtaking.

It matters 'how' we play not 'who'. And having a team of rare talent that's set up not to lose, is not what football is about for me. Anyway enough of all that...

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 13:09 - Jul 8 with 1187 viewspaulparker

England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 10:21 - Jul 8 by daveB

I thought England were a lot better against the Swiss but like every other tournament the team we beat are usually viewed as tin pot as soon as the game finishes when in truth that was a very good side we beat at the weekend. Give it 2 years they'll be dismissed the same way a good Sweden side were 6 years ago

I do wonder what enjoyment people want to have from football, If England had played like Spain and Austria and been knocked out by now would that be in anyway better or would we be moaning that playing well means nothing if you don't win.

In 20 years time people will talk about Southgate the way they talk about Bobby Robson now and like with with Robson they'll forget all the abuse they gave him for years and during his last tournament.

England can do better and I think the manager has got a few things wrong this tournament but he's created a winning culture in this team over the last 6 years that I've never seen from England before and he deserves far more respect than what he gets.

What’s the relevance of previous managers like Robson , They were all vastly different generations of footballer. International football relies on the country producing talent it’s not like club management where the manager gets credit for building a squad through transfers.

Belgium historically have been nowhere near international honours but the talent they’ve had at their disposal recently has meant they’ve been in with a shout. They’re disappointed because they perceived themselves as underachieving with the quality they had. They’re not comparing back to previous, worse squads, because it’s irrelevant.
This is the only squad in my lifetime where we’ve got players winning awards abroad as well as domestically. The only one it compares to is the one in 2004 and we all thought we underachieved then too. At least then we were going to pens with another top side with top level players and not the teams ranked 20th and 30th etc. even then we had lampards goal not given, Beckhams red, Rooneys red etc. we’ve historically had a lot of bad luck. Everything has fallen in our favour 3 of his 4 tournaments.

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 13:13 - Jul 8 with 1177 viewshantssi

Anyway - CMON INGERLUND

Think the stars are for World Cups only!
I agree that it’s like watching us getting promoted under Redcrap and I couldn’t wait to see the back of him either!
IMHO, the best possible outcome is to win the bloody thing no matter how bad a watch it is and Southgate to resign with his head held high.
England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 13:39 - Jul 8 with 1118 viewsTheChef

Which is why we're going to win the whole thing

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 14:13 - Jul 8 with 1079 viewsSheffieldHoop

England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 15:37 - Jul 7 by BazzaInTheLoft

I just want it noted that I’ve been told several times I am self hating and despise my country by many of the people here with the nicknames and venom for this England team and manager.

Can you pack it until we are at least eliminated? You can wallow and rejoice in the nation’s misery all you want then.

Barry supports England as an act of progressive defiance, as a means of reclaiming the cursed red-and-white flag from the reactionaries and the hooligans and the white supremacists........You think you are, but you're not fooling anybody.

"Someone despises me. That's their problem." Marcus Aurelius

England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 14:17 - Jul 8 with 1075 viewsrbee

England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 12:12 - Jul 8 by daveB

The way that our players despatched their penalties suggests to me that pressure isn't a major problem for them. There are a few inexperienced players in the squad but most players have previously faced pressure games when winning cups and leagues and most have already played tournament football with England.

Everyone is more than happy that we are progressing through the tournament but the negativity simply comes from the way that we are stumbling through the competition, one minute from being eliminated.

More importantly in the back of our minds we have a World Cup semi-final defeat to Croatia and a Euros Final defeat to Italy where we managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory due to Gareth's negative approach and reluctance to make substitutions.

People feel frustrated and negative now because they can see history repeating itself in this tournament.
England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 14:18 - Jul 8 with 1070 viewsPadulas_Shampoo

England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 13:39 - Jul 8 by TheChef

Which is why we're going to win the whole thing

I'm really fed up with the 'generational talent' argument that a lot of people make. Where is it? And is it wildly better to previous England teams?

The 2002 and 2006 teams look far and away stronger than anything Southgate has had at his disposal.

People seem to forget every half decent international team has great players. Is Saka better than Nico Williams? Bellingham better than Griezman? Foden better than Mbappe or Wirtz or Yamal? At this level you can;t just rely on throwing good players on the pitch and hoping ours are better than theirs. Isn't that what we've done under pretty much every single manager prior to Southgate and where did it get them?

There isn't much difference between starting XIs at this level when you're playing tournament football ultimately. That's why so many games have been so tight. Netherlands snuck past Turkey, France snuck past Portugal and Belgium, struggling against Austria and Poland. Spain Germany was tight. Etc etc etc.

Southgate has had immense luck with his draws but he also has found ways to progress at tournaments consistently. He's won two penalty shootouts by changing our preparation. We don't play anywhere near as naively as we once did and so far nobody has been able to beat us.

For me the one thing he still hasn't been able to do is knock out a 'major' footballing nation outside of Wembley. He has the opportunity to do that on Wednesday. If he does, he has that monkey off our back, he's already banished the penalty one... We're equipped to go and win a tournament.

Nothing was going to be different with the same old approach. I think Southgate has probably been the first England manager to truly realise that and therefore the most likely to actually lift a bloody trophy.

If they win on Wednesday this squad will feel like they can beat anyone on the world going into a final. I've dreamed of seeing that happen since I was 6 years old. Though I haven't enjoyed watching us in these Euros, if this is how we finally win one then strap me down and get it in my veins.
England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 14:22 - Jul 8 with 1051 viewsdaveB

England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 13:09 - Jul 8 by paulparker

What’s the relevance of previous managers like Robson , They were all vastly different generations of footballer. International football relies on the country producing talent it’s not like club management where the manager gets credit for building a squad through transfers.

Belgium historically have been nowhere near international honours but the talent they’ve had at their disposal recently has meant they’ve been in with a shout. They’re disappointed because they perceived themselves as underachieving with the quality they had. They’re not comparing back to previous, worse squads, because it’s irrelevant.
This is the only squad in my lifetime where we’ve got players winning awards abroad as well as domestically. The only one it compares to is the one in 2004 and we all thought we underachieved then too. At least then we were going to pens with another top side with top level players and not the teams ranked 20th and 30th etc. even then we had lampards goal not given, Beckhams red, Rooneys red etc. we’ve historically had a lot of bad luck. Everything has fallen in our favour 3 of his 4 tournaments.

So on one hand it's irrelevant comparing eras and on the other the 2004 team were better and unluckier?

England have always had very good players, going back to days of Keegan winning the Ballon D'or, we've always had 3/4 outstanding players in the team sometimes more.

The relevance is Robson is looked back on as a great England manager but the same things the current manager is getting slated for happened under him as well. Italia 90 crap in the group stage and got a favorable route to the semi final. Robson deserved far more respect at the time and was getting horrific abuse which is comparable to what is happening with Southgate today. He deserves far more respect than he gets.

i think that 2004 and 2006 had some bad luck but also didn't win their group so got a tougher route to the final same as most England teams in those eras.
[Post edited 8 Jul 14:24]
England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 14:34 - Jul 8 with 1016 viewsdaveB

England vs some other team. Euros Semi Final match thread. on 14:17 - Jul 8 by rbee

The way that our players despatched their penalties suggests to me that pressure isn't a major problem for them. There are a few inexperienced players in the squad but most players have previously faced pressure games when winning cups and leagues and most have already played tournament football with England.

Everyone is more than happy that we are progressing through the tournament but the negativity simply comes from the way that we are stumbling through the competition, one minute from being eliminated.

More importantly in the back of our minds we have a World Cup semi-final defeat to Croatia and a Euros Final defeat to Italy where we managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory due to Gareth's negative approach and reluctance to make substitutions.

People feel frustrated and negative now because they can see history repeating itself in this tournament.

Pressure is a problem for all the teams it's why they look so tentative in games, they were a bit more relaxed with penalties as they had nothing to lose at that point and were very well prepared for them.

I do get why people think the same thing will happen again in the big games, that goes back my whole lifetime as England have always lost the big games against the big sides not just under Southgate, I've no idea how this will pan out but I've chosen to believe in them which will probably lead to tears and an emotional breakdown in the next week which is terrifying but I don't want to approach football with a mindset of fear, this is a massive opportunity and if it goes wrong dust yourself off and go again.

It's similar with QPR you see it all the time expecting the worst hoping for the best, believing we can do something usually leads to absolute pain when it goes wrong so going into it with a mindset of the manager is crap and he'll mess it up again ensures more anger than hurt and an easy target to blame which is an easier emotion to deal with
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024