Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
General Election Thread 17:46 - May 22 with 213834 viewsloftboy

This will be the first election that I have no idea who to vote for, will never vote Tory again after the lies during covid where my dad lost his life, don’t trust starmer, would never vote for a bunch of racists like reform , anyone give me a clue?

This post has been edited by an administrator

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

General Election Thread on 17:45 - Jun 5 with 2195 viewsStainrod

on 01:00 - Jan 1 by

Did the "uncomfortable truths" that you believe the Mail publish include, in your view, their reports in the 1930s that Hitler was a saviour and that we needed someone similar here?

They have been churning out the same distorted, agenda driven news for a century. Have had mates who have worked there over the years, they freely admit their job is to ferment hate, envy and fear.
General Election Thread on 18:28 - Jun 5 with 2113 viewsdmm

General Election Thread on 17:45 - Jun 5 by Stainrod

Did the "uncomfortable truths" that you believe the Mail publish include, in your view, their reports in the 1930s that Hitler was a saviour and that we needed someone similar here?

They have been churning out the same distorted, agenda driven news for a century. Have had mates who have worked there over the years, they freely admit their job is to ferment hate, envy and fear.

That would be the paper owned by Viscount Rothermere who lives in France, has non-dom tax status and owns his media businesses through a complex structure of offshore holdings and trusts so he doesn't pay tax. The famously patriotic Daily Mail readers must be so proud.
General Election Thread on 18:46 - Jun 5 with 2063 viewsderbyhoop

As a bit of light relief

Mummy, do all fairy stories begin "Once upon a time"?
No son, many begin with "If elected, I promise ...."

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

General Election Thread on 20:34 - Jun 5 with 1949 viewsSonofpugwash

Apparently Starmer's dad was a toolmaker.
There's a joke in there somewhere.

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

General Election Thread on 04:48 - Jun 6 with 1783 viewsFDC

General Election Thread on 20:34 - Jun 5 by Sonofpugwash

Apparently Starmer's dad was a toolmaker.
There's a joke in there somewhere.

Really? Interesting, he should mention it. Wonder what he used to do for a job?
General Election Thread on 08:05 - Jun 6 with 1676 viewsEsox_Lucius

General Election Thread on 04:48 - Jun 6 by FDC

Really? Interesting, he should mention it. Wonder what he used to do for a job?

His father owned a toolmakers company of which he was the only employee. As for being looked down on, I call BS. Toolmakers are regarded as the most highly skilled of all mechanical engineers.

The grass is always greener.

General Election Thread on 00:47 - Jun 7 with 1249 viewsSydneyRs

But if people hear the same arguments for long enough they start to become truth to them. The tabloids which is what most ordinary people read are heavily biased to right wing views and are very skilled at promoting those ideas.
General Election Thread on 00:50 - Jun 7 with 2433 viewsSydneyRs

General Election Thread on 09:56 - Jun 5 by Discodroids

I Know intelligent people that read the guardian. There is no point even trying to give them an alternative point of view as they view their Dr white jam wrag two piece suit epistle of effluvia as gospel.

Crazy times.
[Post edited 5 Jun 9:57]

Fair point, but the overall media is so right leaning that it's only really benefitting one ideology.
Login to get fewer ads

General Election Thread on 00:54 - Jun 7 with 2427 viewsSydneyRs

General Election Thread on 16:56 - Jun 5 by Watford_Ranger

Blair and Brown was an evidently good combo for leading this country. No PM since has come close. Brown deserved a chance at a full stint on his own as he’s unquestionably a hardworking, good bloke and politician who didn’t court the limelight but the country had to clutch its pearls over him calling a bigoted woman a bigot and we were dumb enough to vote in another chinless Etonian.

So yeah I’m a Blair ‘apologist’. New Labour achieved loads of positives.

Agreed, Brown is a smart operator and appears to have integrity. But he's not a charismatic charmer with funny hair who can get elected with zero credentials and then unsurprisingly make a complete arse of the job.
General Election Thread on 02:08 - Jun 7 with 2400 viewsSydneyRs

Media shouldn't really have a viewpoint, it should report facts, challenge obvious lies and give people a chance to form opinions based on reliable information. I know that will never happen but that's how it should be. Your words "if a story is true". Completely agree, but when said story is then deliberately manipulated to create a narrative that is a problem. You can't honestly claim the Mail just publishes factual stories with no attempt to influence the views of its readers.

Instead you have a very clever form of mind control pushed by wealthy owners only interested in protecting and enhancing their own positions. Its got to the point now where general living standards are falling and life expectancy for the first time ever I think is going backwards, so clearly does not benefit the majority. Meanwhile the super rich get richer.

Immigration is of course a hot issue and certainly has its problems. Governments have used it to prop up economic numbers and try to make themselves look better, but there is a price to pay and the numbers I've heard have been accepted in the UK over the last couple of years are staggering. But lets not forget who has been in government the last 14 years (voted in last time with a mandate to control borders), exactly the people the Daily Mail and similar publications would have wanted in government. Immigration equals cheaper labour, that is what is really behind it and they don't care how it affects everyday people.

The problem is when things like immigration are viewed as the cause of all failings when there are far bigger fundamental problems driving a lot of society's problems, not least rampant corporate greed and corruption that seems to go largely unchallenged. Certain parts of the media focus on immigration all the time to distract from these issues and to be fair they are very good at it.

Social media has only added to this. If I scroll through tiktok for example, I'm guaranteed to see Farage, videos of high streets and islamic people in those streets with "this is not England any more" type slogans in big lettering etc. I don't subscribe to any of those views, yet still see a lot of this stuff. God only knows how much of it you'll see if you are a regular visitor to right leaning pages. In contrast I don't see much left wing stuff. A bit but nowhere near the same volume. Probably 80/20 in favour of right leaning content.

Left leaning papers I can think of are the Mirror and maybe the Guardian. On the other hand, Times, Sun, Mail, Express, Telegraph, Star all right wing to various extents. The Murdoch empire makes no secret of its leanings and controls far too much of it all. Not really a level playing field.
[Post edited 7 Jun 2:10]
General Election Thread on 02:53 - Jun 7 with 2357 viewsDannyPaddox

General Election Thread on 02:08 - Jun 7 by SydneyRs

Media shouldn't really have a viewpoint, it should report facts, challenge obvious lies and give people a chance to form opinions based on reliable information. I know that will never happen but that's how it should be. Your words "if a story is true". Completely agree, but when said story is then deliberately manipulated to create a narrative that is a problem. You can't honestly claim the Mail just publishes factual stories with no attempt to influence the views of its readers.

Instead you have a very clever form of mind control pushed by wealthy owners only interested in protecting and enhancing their own positions. Its got to the point now where general living standards are falling and life expectancy for the first time ever I think is going backwards, so clearly does not benefit the majority. Meanwhile the super rich get richer.

Immigration is of course a hot issue and certainly has its problems. Governments have used it to prop up economic numbers and try to make themselves look better, but there is a price to pay and the numbers I've heard have been accepted in the UK over the last couple of years are staggering. But lets not forget who has been in government the last 14 years (voted in last time with a mandate to control borders), exactly the people the Daily Mail and similar publications would have wanted in government. Immigration equals cheaper labour, that is what is really behind it and they don't care how it affects everyday people.

The problem is when things like immigration are viewed as the cause of all failings when there are far bigger fundamental problems driving a lot of society's problems, not least rampant corporate greed and corruption that seems to go largely unchallenged. Certain parts of the media focus on immigration all the time to distract from these issues and to be fair they are very good at it.

Social media has only added to this. If I scroll through tiktok for example, I'm guaranteed to see Farage, videos of high streets and islamic people in those streets with "this is not England any more" type slogans in big lettering etc. I don't subscribe to any of those views, yet still see a lot of this stuff. God only knows how much of it you'll see if you are a regular visitor to right leaning pages. In contrast I don't see much left wing stuff. A bit but nowhere near the same volume. Probably 80/20 in favour of right leaning content.

Left leaning papers I can think of are the Mirror and maybe the Guardian. On the other hand, Times, Sun, Mail, Express, Telegraph, Star all right wing to various extents. The Murdoch empire makes no secret of its leanings and controls far too much of it all. Not really a level playing field.

STOP. MAKING. SENSE.

You’ll upset the fücktards.
General Election Thread on 06:45 - Jun 7 with 2266 viewsPaddyhoops

General Election Thread on 13:21 - Jun 5 by derbyhoop

I thought it was awful. JE allowed both to talk over each other. The big takeaway was SunK's repeated claim of £2000 extra tax. That has now been seen to be a lie. However, claims like that can stick.
Overall I thought Sunak was rude and aggressive, but Starmer was short on detail. Political equivalent of a tedious 0-0 draw.

The 2 grand tax hike from Sunak is a bit disingenuous. It’s spread out over a four year period which according to economists is just a sixth of the tax hikes brought in in the last 5 year period.
It’s all smoke and mirrors from both parties and depends on who you believe.
I personally think Sunak is pissing against the wind and he knows it.
Not expecting much better from an incoming labour government.
A bit more honesty wouldn’t go amiss.
General Election Thread on 07:18 - Jun 7 with 2210 viewsDiscodroids

General Election Thread on 02:53 - Jun 7 by DannyPaddox

STOP. MAKING. SENSE.

You’ll upset the fücktards.

The regularity and exponentially rising amount of your 3am posts on here, certrainly have a different flavour to them Dan. Talk about unplug the jukebox!

'Fu cktards'!

Shoot that poison 3am arrow through my heart baby!
[Post edited 7 Jun 7:20]

".... You are the... Duke of New York... You're A-Number One!".

General Election Thread on 07:44 - Jun 7 with 2170 viewsDiscodroids

General Election Thread on 00:50 - Jun 7 by SydneyRs

Fair point, but the overall media is so right leaning that it's only really benefitting one ideology.

You will not be amazed to know that i couldn't disagree with you more .

The thought of BBC news (televisual and radio), LBC, SKY news, ITV news and channel 4 news are in lockstep with the Doctor Joseph Goebbels public enlightenment division makes me laugh harder than caesar romero with a kinder egg of East ham council estate billy whizz dissolving up his arsehole.

btw, I don't support this conservative party in any shape or form . Not only do they deserve to be crucified this July the 4th, They deserve to be crushed into the salted earth under the heel of man and left to calcify into nothingness. It's going to be ambrosial to watch it unfold.

in any matter i,'m out for the day as it's my wifes 5oth birthday and i want to stop off on the way to the Cuccina in leigh on sea to buy 6 copies of the mail and the sun to read inbetween the Aperitivo, Antipasti, Primi, Contorni, secondi, insalata and Dolce.
[Post edited 7 Jun 7:50]

General Election Thread on 08:56 - Jun 7 with 2088 viewsFDC

General Election Thread on 07:44 - Jun 7 by Discodroids

The thought of BBC news (televisual and radio), LBC, SKY news, ITV news and channel 4 news are in lockstep with the Doctor Joseph Goebbels public enlightenment division makes me laugh harder than caesar romero with a kinder egg of East ham council estate billy whizz dissolving up his arsehole.

btw, I don't support this conservative party in any shape or form . Not only do they deserve to be crucified this July the 4th, They deserve to be crushed into the salted earth under the heel of man and left to calcify into nothingness. It's going to be ambrosial to watch it unfold.

in any matter i,'m out for the day as it's my wifes 5oth birthday and i want to stop off on the way to the Cuccina in leigh on sea to buy 6 copies of the mail and the sun to read inbetween the Aperitivo, Antipasti, Primi, Contorni, secondi, insalata and Dolce.

To be fair Disco, the political orientation of the British media has been a topic of a fair bit of scrutiny and academic research. The BBC has a liberal orientation for sure, probably most closely aligned with New Labour-type politics - socially liberal, economically conservative. You could say the Guardian is in that general area too. But certainly the print press, which remains influential despite falling circulation for its ability to define political talking points, is unambiguously to the right of politics on the whole. And there are obvious structural reasons for that - they are owned by people who don't want to pay more tax!

The revolving doorway between political media and political parties plays into this too I think.

Edit: Starmer and the Labour right in general are very much the type of politics most broadcast political media types identify with, hence his unusually easy ride so far. But he'll come under pressure before very long, and I don't think he's well equipped for it at all.
[Post edited 7 Jun 10:08]
General Election Thread on 08:59 - Jun 7 with 2064 viewsLandshark

General Election Thread on 02:08 - Jun 7 by SydneyRs

General Election Thread on 09:02 - Jun 7 with 2057 viewsEsox_Lucius

General Election Thread on 07:44 - Jun 7 by Discodroids

Why not give the money to a homeless shelter, or a soup kitchen where it will do some real good if you are looking to just waste money?

The grass is always greener.

General Election Thread on 09:10 - Jun 7 with 2023 viewsDiscodroids

General Election Thread on 09:02 - Jun 7 by Esox_Lucius

Why not give the money to a homeless shelter, or a soup kitchen where it will do some real good if you are looking to just waste money?

The voice of all our morality speaks once more.

No plumbline created by the hand of god can measure the depth of sneer from a progressive.

*Edit. I do believe the 10% net income of my monthly salary i donate to the Cystic Fibrosis trust wil sate my charitable needs and wants. The rest i will spend on as is my wish and behest.

I'll pass on your birthday wishes to my mrs.
[Post edited 7 Jun 9:51]

General Election Thread on 09:15 - Jun 7 with 2020 viewsstowmarketrange

General Election Thread on 06:45 - Jun 7 by Paddyhoops

The 2 grand tax hike from Sunak is a bit disingenuous. It’s spread out over a four year period which according to economists is just a sixth of the tax hikes brought in in the last 5 year period.
It’s all smoke and mirrors from both parties and depends on who you believe.
I personally think Sunak is pissing against the wind and he knows it.
Not expecting much better from an incoming labour government.
A bit more honesty wouldn’t go amiss.

If it’s taken 14 years to completely f uck up this country,it would take a lot more than 5 years to make a dent in the problems we all face,even with the right conditions to invest millions to restore public services to a decent level.
And if/when Labour get elected next month the vultures will be waiting to tell us all how right they were when not much has changed after those 5 years.
General Election Thread on 09:35 - Jun 7 with 1956 viewsWegerles_Stairs

General Election Thread on 16:56 - Jun 5 by Watford_Ranger

Blair and Brown was an evidently good combo for leading this country. No PM since has come close. Brown deserved a chance at a full stint on his own as he’s unquestionably a hardworking, good bloke and politician who didn’t court the limelight but the country had to clutch its pearls over him calling a bigoted woman a bigot and we were dumb enough to vote in another chinless Etonian.

So yeah I’m a Blair ‘apologist’. New Labour achieved loads of positives.

Plenty more negatives.
General Election Thread on 10:09 - Jun 7 with 1841 viewsFDC

General Election Thread on 09:35 - Jun 7 by Wegerles_Stairs

Plenty more negatives.

A million odd deaths in Iraq, but also opened some Sure Start centres, so who's to say?
General Election Thread on 10:18 - Jun 7 with 1798 viewsDiscodroids

Sunak or Starmer..

You might as well ask me to choose between being in the basement of john wayne gacey's Ranch while he's on the mooch for hairless minors to violate, or the structual engineer being tasked with measuring the stress integrity and weight bearing percentile load of John Terry's arsehole, when placed under extreme distress by his pet King charles Spaniels 7" Glandis.

Jesus christ.
[Post edited 7 Jun 10:20]

General Election Thread on 11:03 - Jun 7 with 1680 viewsHAYESBOY

See Sunak has played a blinder the last few days.

Trots a lie about tax, even though the head of the Civil Service requested him not to state it was from the Civil Service calculations.
Leaves the D Day commemorations early to double down on the lie in an interview.
It then turns out that a couple of weeks ago Sunak informed the D Day commemorations that he was not going to attend due to campaigning, but then compromised to attend just in the morning.

I would check his Sky bet account to see if he has a bet on losing the election by over 150 seats.

Smells like a trout farm in here

General Election Thread on 11:06 - Jun 7 with 1665 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

General Election Thread on 11:03 - Jun 7 by HAYESBOY

See Sunak has played a blinder the last few days.

Trots a lie about tax, even though the head of the Civil Service requested him not to state it was from the Civil Service calculations.
Leaves the D Day commemorations early to double down on the lie in an interview.
It then turns out that a couple of weeks ago Sunak informed the D Day commemorations that he was not going to attend due to campaigning, but then compromised to attend just in the morning.

I would check his Sky bet account to see if he has a bet on losing the election by over 150 seats.

I doubt you’ll even get odds on a 150 seat loss anymore.
General Election Thread on 11:12 - Jun 7 with 1644 viewsHunterhoop

General Election Thread on 11:06 - Jun 7 by BazzaInTheLoft

I doubt you’ll even get odds on a 150 seat loss anymore.

PP have it 1/6 that Cons will win fewer than 140 seats, and 1/3 Labour win 419 seats or more.

Unbelievable prices. There is always the shy Tory/Opinion polls getting it wrong thing, but if the bookies are right it will be a bloodbath.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024