Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sign a f*cking striker 11:08 - Dec 30 with 15766 viewsThird_Division_South

Hi all, first post from a long time lurker.

We all know we need to sign a striker, but how about signing the RIGHT striker. Our last three major purchases have been Washington, Bonne and Dykes al costing around £2M each. The first two proved to be total duds and, to me, Dykes is much more of a traditional target man who needs a real striker playing off him. That said, he should still score more than he does. It baffles me that our recruitment team that has got it so well in other parts of the pitch have such a blind spot when it comes to strikers. Since we signed Dykes Luton have got in Adebayo, 16 goals last season, Morris, two goals last night, both of which beat us up in the away game also and Woodrow for less than we paid for him. Also, how could anyone have looked at Roberts and thought that he’d be worth £4.5?.While we were looking at the Brighton reserve team and getting Mlakar, remember him?playing alongside him in the same team was Gyokeres who went to Coventry on a free and ripped us a new one a few weeks ago.
All the more baffling when our DoF was such a great striker.

Strong cheddar in sandwiches and Applewood on the cheeseboard
Sign a f*cking striker on 12:25 - Jan 2 with 2196 viewsNortholt_Rs

Sign a f*cking striker on 12:07 - Jan 2 by loftboy

I thought it was Peterborough

We had our pants pulled down by Pboro for Washington….. well and truly.

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

Sign a f*cking striker on 12:27 - Jan 2 with 2188 viewsQPR_Jim

Sign a f*cking striker on 11:25 - Jan 2 by Damo1962

I thought we bought Washington from Linfield? I may of course be completely wrong🙂

I think Paul Smyth was from Linfield and Washington was Peterborough.

Looking at league 2 Paul Smyth is doing well at LO, wonder whether we have a buy back clause.
Sign a f*cking striker on 12:30 - Jan 2 with 2152 viewsCamberleyR

Sign a f*cking striker on 12:27 - Jan 2 by QPR_Jim

Looking at league 2 Paul Smyth is doing well at LO, wonder whether we have a buy back clause.

I would doubt it as Leyton Orient didn't buy him from us, he joined them as a free agent when his QPR contract expired.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Sign a f*cking striker on 13:07 - Jan 2 with 2077 viewsDamo1962

That's it. Got me Norn Iron players mixed up🤫
Sign a f*cking striker on 13:13 - Jan 2 with 2071 viewsSuperhoops2808

Sign a f*cking striker on 10:41 - Jan 2 by BAWHoops

The scouting department and Les have managed to find us a hell of a lot of players in recent years that we all accept have done well for the club, or been sold on for some money

Dieng
Smithies
Barbet
Dickie
Dunne
JCS
Paal
Field
Amos
Luongo
Bright
Eze
Chair
Willock

It's a pretty good list really.

Since Les has been DoF we've massively cut costs and turned the tanker round to put us in a position where we were able to have a tilt at the Play Offs last season (before it fell apart).
He's doing absolutely fine

Great post...

Prepare to be ripped apart as it does not fit the narrative of some here
Sign a f*cking striker on 13:15 - Jan 2 with 2064 viewsSuperhoops2808

Anyway, looks like NC has got the message

https://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/qpr-boss-hints-at-striker-move
Sign a f*cking striker on 17:26 - Jan 2 with 1877 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Sign a f*cking striker on 09:25 - Jan 2 by Esox_Lucius

Why doesn't Ferdinand get heaped with praise when we are doing well instead of those useless sub par players we have in the squad getting it?
This anti Les agenda goes a lot deeper than the playing fortunes of QPR IMO. Why aren't the board members copping vitriol and abuse after a bad run of results? some of whom were in charge long before LF was made DoF.

I assume there's an accusation of racism there. Anyway, rest assured I think our board are a bunch of muppets but that might also be interpreted as an 'agenda' too.
Sign a f*cking striker on 17:30 - Jan 2 with 1848 viewsWegerles_Stairs

The scouting department and Les have managed to find us a hell of a lot of players in recent years that we all accept have done well for the club, or been sold on for some money

Dieng
Smithies
Barbet
Dickie
Dunne
JCS
Paal
Field
Amos
Luongo
Bright
Eze
Chair
Willock

Since Les has been DoF we've massively cut costs and turned the tanker round to put us in a position where we were able to have a tilt at the Play Offs last season (before it fell apart).

Not denying that we've signed some decent players, more that the recruitment has been unbalanced. Certain positions have not been addressed, which is to the detriment of our progress - as the thread title suggests.

Also, only Eze of those players has gone for big money to date, which is supposedly fundamental to our current 'plan'.
Login to get fewer ads

Sign a f*cking striker on 18:07 - Jan 2 with 1774 viewsHunterhoop

I don’t think anyone is arguing Les (or Hoos) are perfect and have never made a mistake.

There are just many of us who think, on balance, they’ve done a good, not bad job, and given the state the club was in when Les came in (bottom of the Prem, adrift and all but relegated, with a 77m wage bill and a 40m FFP fine about to land) they’ve done a decent job of keeping us in the league and cutting the wage bill to 17m, whilst having us begin to compete at the right end of the table, and with a new training ground under development.

There have been factors out of their control (like the collapse of the mid-market Champ player, which hinders us getting a good ROI on signings, and the pandemic, which have put further pressure on our already tight finances), and they have made mistakes at times in player signings and manager hires.

But all said and done, I think they’ve done a decent job.

Look at it another way. Assuming Forest get relegated, would you rather be them or us? They should have a whopping FFP fine/points deduction coming at some point. They’re like us (but already relegated) when Les came into his role.
Sign a f*cking striker on 18:44 - Jan 2 with 1695 viewsPunteR

Dieng
Smithies
Barbet
Dickie
Dunne
JCS
Paal
Field
Amos
Luongo
Bright
Eze
Chair
Willock

Is it a good list though? Comparatively with all the other footballers in the league. ?
Our results and league positions tells me otherwise. Dont get me wrong ,i love some of those players but take my blue and white tinted specs off are they really top quality signings.?

Only Bright and Eze have gone on to bigger careers.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Sign a f*cking striker on 19:00 - Jan 2 with 1622 viewsDamo1962

Sign a f*cking striker on 18:44 - Jan 2 by PunteR

Is it a good list though? Comparatively with all the other footballers in the league. ?
Our results and league positions tells me otherwise. Dont get me wrong ,i love some of those players but take my blue and white tinted specs off are they really top quality signings.?

Think you have answered your own question. Table doesn't lie. We have been fed a thin gruel for a while now, and some supporters tend to over-hype certain players. Not for one moment questioning their efforts for our club...just ability. It's not their fault they are being asked to play in a league that quite a few are not up to.
[Post edited 2 Jan 2023 19:06]
Sign a f*cking striker on 22:15 - Jan 2 with 1463 viewsAntti_Heinola

Sign a f*cking striker on 18:44 - Jan 2 by PunteR

Chery went on to play CL football and didnt even make this list

Bare bones.

Sign a f*cking striker on 22:31 - Jan 2 with 1376 viewsbosh67

Sign a f*cking striker on 22:15 - Jan 2 by Antti_Heinola

Chery went on to play CL football and didnt even make this list

Oh yes of course I forgot about Nenah Chery. Odd way of standing over a free kick. More like a buffalo stance?

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Sign a f*cking striker on 07:15 - Jan 3 with 1198 viewsnix

Sign a f*cking striker on 19:00 - Jan 2 by Damo1962

Think you have answered your own question. Table doesn't lie. We have been fed a thin gruel for a while now, and some supporters tend to over-hype certain players. Not for one moment questioning their efforts for our club...just ability. It's not their fault they are being asked to play in a league that quite a few are not up to.

Bit harsh to say they haven't gone onto better things because quite a few are still playing for us, so can't really show that and a couple only with us for five minutes. Field, Chair and Willock are undoubtedly worth more than we paid for them, and probably Paal, JCS and Amos too. Amos in particular I think would have gone elsewhere by now if he hadn't had that second injury. He was really looking a classy player just before that and it's really held him back.

We've got quite a few players that are more highly rated than what we paid for them, and as we can't pay the wages to attract players that some clubs can, it's not a bad effort. Not saying any of them are going to be CL players but how many lower budget Championship teams produce that level of player?
Sign a f*cking striker on 07:19 - Jan 3 with 1193 viewsPaddyhoops

On the BBC sports website. Garth Crooks had Eze in his team of the week. A player who play for a top four side.
Let’s hope so as the windfall could fund an alternative to Dykes who by the way was superb last night.
Sign a f*cking striker on 07:55 - Jan 3 with 1139 viewsozexile

JCS? He's played about 5 games and been injured for 15. Let's not go overboard.
Sign a f*cking striker on 09:25 - Jan 3 with 1031 viewsE17hoop

I've seen Orient a few times this season and Smyth is tearing up L2 because he's a good L1 player. He's playing on the left wing against L2 defenders who lack pace and is one of the most fouled players in the league. He's still small and lightweight but can deliver a good ball.

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: Who do you want as next Next England manager?

Sign a f*cking striker on 09:37 - Jan 3 with 997 viewsPinnerPaul

Sign a f*cking striker on 22:30 - Jan 1 by NW5Hoop

How many decent signings do you need before thinking our scouts do a pretty good job on the club's budget? Obviously we are lacking in some positions, but show me the club outside the top of the PL that isn't. Even clubs with unlimited resources to get it right get it wrong as often as not — think of the number of players who move for £30m and are never heard of again. I'm not saying our scouts are geniuses, but this constant refrain of "Why aren't they finding any bargains?" is just silly. They keep finding bargains. I don't think it's the scouts' or Dickie's fault, for example, that Dickie has gone backwards this last year - it's not long ago people were *assuming* he'd be going to a PL club for £15m or something silly. It's not the scouts' fault that the coaching staff have not been able to get the best out of players whom we know can do it at this level.

Perhaps one reason we haven't had a box-to-box midfielder is that there are very few of those around these days, and none of our managers have played formations that required one.

Indeed.

And its not all about finding those 19 year old nuggets.

Field and Dunne have been pretty good finds - more obvious perhaps but that means other clubs would have known about them as well - so well done "the club" for finding those two for a start!
Sign a f*cking striker on 09:41 - Jan 3 with 974 viewsPinnerPaul

Sign a f*cking striker on 19:00 - Jan 2 by Damo1962

Who from last night are "not up to Championship"?

That's a nonsense - Sheff Utd were a PL club a year ago, will be again next season, if we WERE playing "plenty" of L1 players, we don't perform like we did last night.
Sign a f*cking striker on 10:29 - Jan 3 with 942 viewsPunteR

Sign a f*cking striker on 09:41 - Jan 3 by PinnerPaul

Who from last night are "not up to Championship"?

That's a nonsense - Sheff Utd were a PL club a year ago, will be again next season, if we WERE playing "plenty" of L1 players, we don't perform like we did last night.

But you've fallen into the trap of judging the players by one game.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Sign a f*cking striker on 10:42 - Jan 3 with 918 viewsNW5Hoop

Sign a f*cking striker on 09:25 - Jan 3 by E17hoop

I've seen Orient a few times this season and Smyth is tearing up L2 because he's a good L1 player. He's playing on the left wing against L2 defenders who lack pace and is one of the most fouled players in the league. He's still small and lightweight but can deliver a good ball.

Yeah, I've seen Smyth play a bit for Orient. He is exactly the same player he was with us. It's just it works a lot more often against L2 players.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024