Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rooney getting another England cap 18:21 - Nov 4 with 7277 viewsBlackCrowe

Ridiculous and indicative of the circus that our once great game has become. He wasn't even that good for England. Thought Southgate had more backbone and purpose. Discuss.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Rooney getting another England cap on 15:24 - Nov 5 with 1381 viewskensalriser

Be great if you could slip in a go bollox to the Barclay brothers during your coverage.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Rooney getting another England cap on 17:13 - Nov 5 with 1322 views00calben

Rooney getting another England cap on 12:40 - Nov 5 by Dorse

I read the post title quickly and thought it said 'Rodney'. I must say I am disappointed to find it is Rooney.

It's just copper plate writing
Rooney getting another England cap on 20:32 - Nov 5 with 1247 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Rooney getting another England cap on 13:45 - Nov 5 by Northernr

It's not right. Certainly there shouldn't be caps given out if it's literally a charity game.

Sven did irreparable damage to the value of winning a cap for this country the way he dolled them out to all and sundry and messed around so much in the friendlies. He made it clear that it was a farce that he wasn't bothered with, which shifted the power further towards the clubs and away from the national manager when it came to calling players up. He wasted opportunities to work on persistent problems with the team, so the same problems arose in every tournament. He ended up awarding ridiculous amounts of caps to crap like Jenas and Phil Neville, taking them past genuine greats of the past in the stats.

I mean just look at the absolute state of this from the game against Australia at Upton Park...

James (Robinson 45), Neville (Mills 45), Ferdinand (Brown 45), Campbell (King 45), Ashley Cole (Konchesky 45), Beckham (Hargreaves 45), Lampard (Murphy 45), Scholes (Jenas 45), Dyer (Vassell 45), Beattie (Jeffers 45), Owen (Rooney 45).
Subs Not Used: Wright, Joe Cole, Upson, Parker, Davis.

But to start handing them out just because somebody's had a good career and is giving a load of cash to charity is a step even further. I mean if Richard Branson offers £30m to charity in return for coming on for 10 minutes for England we gonna go for that as well are we?

Are clubs forced to release their players for this glorified circus? If I was a manager I'd tell the FA to go bollox if they wanted one of mine at a really busy time of the season, coming into December with its unworkable fixture list.

If they think it matters so little that you can get a call up just because you're a good lad and you're giving money to charity then why on earth should anybody else care?

Anyway, I'm covering it for the Telegraph that night so that should be fun

This post has been edited by an administrator

The hilarious thing about your post, and that squad of mediocre shite is that four of them ended up with us and doesn’t even included Anton Ferdinand, Jay Bothroyd, Luke Young, Andy Johnson, and Rob Green.

I’m sure I’ve missed some too.
[Post edited 5 Nov 2018 20:32]
Rooney getting another England cap on 23:12 - Nov 5 with 1196 viewsCiderwithRsie

Hmm. This is quite interesting....

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/nov/05/england-players-wayne-rooney-fa

If I was one of the bunch of players who have helped English football fans to care about the England football team again, I'd be a bit peed off at being used in some weird PR stunt starring one of the blokes who did so much to turn people off.
Rooney getting another England cap on 08:14 - Nov 6 with 1147 viewsTheChef

Rooney getting another England cap on 23:12 - Nov 5 by CiderwithRsie

Hmm. This is quite interesting....

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/nov/05/england-players-wayne-rooney-fa

If I was one of the bunch of players who have helped English football fans to care about the England football team again, I'd be a bit peed off at being used in some weird PR stunt starring one of the blokes who did so much to turn people off.

That article also made me angry as it had a picture of Rooney wearing that fvcking awful England kit WITH RED SOCKS!!!

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Rooney getting another England cap on 01:42 - Nov 7 with 1071 viewstimcocking

https://www.bbc.com/sport/av/football/46115082

I'm confused - is he being picked because he's good enough still? If so, wtf is the problem?

If they are literally giving him a testimonial...seems a bit...naff.
[Post edited 7 Nov 2018 1:47]
Rooney getting another England cap on 09:54 - Nov 7 with 1030 viewsdaveB

Rooney getting another England cap on 01:42 - Nov 7 by timcocking

I'm confused - is he being picked because he's good enough still? If so, wtf is the problem?

He retired a year ago from International football, it's just a good will gesture. Beckham was offered the same thing but had the class to turn it down and let the next generation play.
Rooney getting another England cap on 10:07 - Nov 7 with 1017 viewsCiderwithRsie

Rooney getting another England cap on 01:42 - Nov 7 by timcocking

It's clearly the latter. And, yes.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024