Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Internet - serious business 11:09 - Aug 25 with 19241 viewsNorthernr

I don't know where this post is going to go really, but I felt compelled to say something before I go properly off grid for a couple of days later on this morning.

I've been in Edinburgh this week with the day job - hectic 14-hour day sort of days. I'm now travelling for a couple of days through the Highlands which is something I've wanted to do for a while and, after the way last season went and how I felt at the end of it, have decided to do a little bit more of this season - huge thanks to the several of you who offered to help out with match reports and the like which has enabled me to do that, and good luck to Danny Paddox with his first swing at one of those tomorrow. Despite this, the history, referee, oppo interview, and preview have all been written and posted to time and to a reasonable standard (if not firing on all LFW cylinders) - written on trains, in the bag of cabs, in hotel rooms late at night, in press rooms when I'm meant to be doing day job…

On top of that we've had the Mason Greenwood thread, the India on the moon thread and the bloody Russian thread and all of the half baked conspiracy theory, frequently offensive stuff that's gone along with that. Monitoring these threads for legals, libels, threats against other posters, links, takes time, effort, judgement, consideration. None of which I've really had a lot of to give this week, but have nevertheless done anyway out of dedication to keeping the site going. Dedication that has now stretched across 20 years, and really only now continues because so many of you are so generous with your Patreon contributions. Without that I'd have walked away 18 months ago.

I'm constantly wrestling with a few things on this forum. I want to try to keep it open and flowing to all discussions and debates, I think it's a better board like that. There’s some seriously interesting non-football debate and discussion on here which is to all of your credit. I've heard the suggestions about separating it out into different topics, but I hate message boards that are run like that and don't want to do it. I'm also conscious that you need a range of viewpoints, and that just because I disagree with what you're saying personally doesn't mean I can delete the posts or direct the traffic towards my POV - I disagree with a great many of you on a great many things BTW, but it's not much of a message board if only what Clive thinks and feels is allowed. I'm also acutely aware of all the high and mighty "free speech" and "censorship" stuff that gets thrown around.

The Mason Greenwood thread is a prime example actually – some of the stuff on there I find absolutely abhorrent, and I cannot believe anybody listens to that recording and reaches that point of view, but reading between the lines there’s clearly some posters on that thread with close, personal experiences that are worth listening to and taking into account, so I’ve tried to keep that one ticking over and going however offensive some people may find some of the posts on it. But that takes time, and effort, and judgement, and consideration. There will be inconsistencies. I’ll get stuff wrong. But I try.

However... It’s a football message board. It’s not here for Hunter Biden’s fcking laptop conspiracy nutjobs, or Laurence Fox videos. You’ve got all manner of other places on the internet for that, I think the vast majority of people here don’t want to be subjected to it on a QPR site, and I am now at a point where I not only don’t want to read and moderate it but am also not willing to do so. I think in the interests of trying to maintain those points in that previous paragraph, and a chronic lack of self confidence, esteem and belief on my own part, I have allowed things to go on here that I don’t like, hate personally, and at times have made me feel like complete sht. If this season is going to be as long and hard as it looks, I’m not willing to trawl across the country covering a losing team, while at the same time logging onto my own message board and seeing topics, posts and poster names who make my heart sink and cause me aggro. I’ve got to look after myself better this season than I did last, or I’m going to end up exactly what my dad was – dead at 44. To that end, I have now deleted the Sakura account and will delete any of his future attempts to start other ones. I’m not being stalked and bullied on my own website and I'm not providing a platform for anonymous internet trolls. I get enough of it on social media where I can’t control it but here I can. If you’ve got a problem with this then please feel free to DM me or, as I said to him many times, remember there are several other QPR websites and message boards you can use if you don’t like this one and/or me.

https://www.wearetherangersboys.com/
https://qprdot.org/
https://rfantasyisland.boards.net/
https://queensparkrangersfc.boards.net/

I often get messages after this offering help with moderation. I don't want moderators. I don't want an overly moderated message board. What I want, and what I need, is for us all to remember, however passionate an argument or debate gets or however much you fundamentally hate or disagree with what people are saying, that this is a football and QPR message board and all of us on here (bar a couple of Brentford lurkers and Konk) are football and QPR fans in the end, and it's really not that serious. It's just football guys, that's all it is. However much I might wind you up, however often you disagree with me, however much I irritate you, I’m a QPR fan too, just trying to provide this site and service for you all to use and enjoy. Let’s just try and maintain that level of solidarity and respect for each other at all times.

Anyway, cheers for the support as always.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Internet - serious business on 10:51 - Aug 26 with 3086 viewsjohnnypwilson

Internet - serious business on 14:59 - Aug 25 by Padulas_Shampoo

https://www.patreon.com/LoftForWords/posts

Probably worth leaving this on this thread.

about time I signed up to this, so now have.

As a regular reader but very rare poster i echo the other comments, this site, and the match reports in particular give me so much pleasure.

Enjoy your break Clive your work is hugely appreciated.
Internet - serious business on 10:57 - Aug 26 with 3063 viewsBurnleyhoop

It has been clearly evident from your reports over recent months that the trials and tribulations of QPR, along with general toxicity and despair with how the world is turning is taking its toll. I have 3 children, one of whom is adopted, and I worry on a daily basis for their futures. Life is tough in so many ways and the scary thing for me is the growing disparity in the wealth divide. As the large percentage of people living in this country and around the world struggle daily, Salah is offered £1.5 million a week to play football. There is something desperately wrong with this and our acceptance of it.

We all feel the need to step away from this nonsense and I try and remember what is important in life, family, friends and mental well being. This podcast and your reports is one of the few constants and pleasures that I have in life and sincerely hope you continue in some capacity as it will be sorely missed if you choose to give it up, although who could blame you if you are getting abused by idiots on line.

Enjoy your break Clive, and as the number of responses on this thread attests to, the appreciation of you and your work is unequivocally positive and greatly appreciated.

All the very best mate. Take care.
Internet - serious business on 17:51 - Aug 26 with 2795 viewsE15Hoop

Internet - serious business on 10:51 - Aug 26 by johnnypwilson

about time I signed up to this, so now have.

As a regular reader but very rare poster i echo the other comments, this site, and the match reports in particular give me so much pleasure.

Enjoy your break Clive your work is hugely appreciated.

Long overdue, Clive, but I'm celebrating having finally been confirmed in my job after a gruelling 7-month probation by signing up officially as well.

Sorry that it's taken so long for me to fulfill the promise I made to you months ago.

You probably won't remember this, but you and I had a long DM converstaion where I'd been upset by a particular reference that you'd made in a match report about three years ago now. I make reference to that now only to repeat what I said to you then, which is that I believe you are a truly gifted writer and anything I can do in my small way to encourage you to keep on honing your craft, I will galdly do. As many have said over many years now, we re extremely lucky to have you, and we already know that LFW is the envy of many message boards up and down the land thanks to your unceasing dedication.

I also want to reiterate my thanks of a few months' ago, when you gave me some much needed words of encouragement after a faux pas of my own, followed by some specific criticism by certain posters who I felt strongly had crossed the line into personal abuse. To be fair said posters have all subsequently apologised, but your post on this Clive is a valuable and timely reminder that words have an impact sometimes far beyond what might have been a comment thrown out in jest or because the poster thinks it sounds clever without thinking about how the receiver receives the message.

Thank you for putting a stake in the ground and a line in the sand on this very point. Please let's all take more care to treat each other with dignity and respect. Our points are more likely to be listened to if we make them eloquently without trying to humiliate the posters we're replying to.
Internet - serious business on 18:24 - Aug 26 with 2725 viewsNoDiddley

I’d like to meet that Sakura fella in a pub but really a dark alley.
Knob
Internet - serious business on 18:28 - Aug 26 with 2721 viewsPaddyhoops

Stay well Norf. One of thre reasons I love this football club is because of decent people like yourself . Stick with it . We need you more than you think.
Internet - serious business on 19:13 - Aug 26 with 2634 viewsFaurlinho

Clive - you’re a magnificent writer, a great bloke and very often the highlight of supporting this
club. Plus you tolerate my inebriated ramblings in the Crown about Alan Buckley, Paul Groves and Livvo… I’ve upped the Patreon because you bloody deserve it. Hope you get a decent rest. Ursss..
Internet - serious business on 19:19 - Aug 26 with 2622 viewsnix

Firstly I hope you have a wonderful break and feel appropriately restored on your return.

I have solved my tendency to add to your burdens by deleting some of the threads that I find problematic and I can only imagine what it must be like to have to read every single post.

I personally know how fragile mental health can deteriorate even further with too much exposure to negativity and bad feeling, so you are right to protect yourself. There are plenty of outlets for wind up merchants online. I only signed up for this site because it was as free from this kind of thing as it is possible to be while still having some edge and humour.

I hope you will feel able to continue and that people on here will listen to you. Feel free to let me know if I'm p*ssing you off, I will immediately desist, as we all should. I would be really hacked off if a couple of keyboard warriors chased you off and we lose such a valuable resource and community.

My (silent but lurking fan) sister and I are avid readers and patrons (hi D) and I hope anyone who has the funds and enjoys this site contributes too. It's the price of a beer or a couple of coffees, and worth every penny.

Looking forward to Danny's report and have a wonderful hols.
[Post edited 26 Aug 2023 19:29]
Internet - serious business on 19:25 - Aug 26 with 2606 viewsthehat

Clive - Your writing is inspirational and keeps so many of us going especially in the dark times.

Really sorry to hear some pricks have nothing better to do than troll you. What sad lives they must lead.

I do wonder how you manage to get the time to keep all the content flowing. Maybe if you just focused on the preview and match report you would give you some time back.

I’ve said it before but its the best £12 that leaves my bank account every month.

Have a good break pal.
Login to get fewer ads

Internet - serious business on 20:01 - Aug 26 with 2519 viewspaulhoop2

Anything non qpr I don’t read unless it’s for help purposes such as it knowledge or cars lol anyways keep up the good work Clive it’s the best site in the business fans of other clubs up and down the country often admire your work .

Poll: Now it’s slightly clearer cut who do you want as manager ?

Internet - serious business on 11:42 - Aug 30 with 2047 viewsBluce_Ree

Boy am I glad I read this! I was just about to start a thread called 'Pope Francis: papist or rapist?'

Nah, I get it. Running a forum is no joke. I've done it and while 90% of people are sound, you're always going to get a few absolute f**king chiefs talking shit because there's no-one in punching distance to show them the error of their ways.

As much as I hate the software this forum runs on, it's the only place I go to to get my daily dose of QPR misery and that's down to you lot and Clive.

Stefan Moore, Stefan Moore running down the wing. Stefan Moore, Stefan Moore running down the wing. He runs like a cheetah, his crosses couldn't be sweeter. Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore.

Internet - serious business on 12:42 - Aug 30 with 1893 viewsBostonR

Clive - sincere as always. Take care of yourself both physically and mentally. Thanks for all the great content.
Internet - serious business on 13:25 - Aug 30 with 1784 viewsterryb

It's taken me nearly a week to find this thread. I saw Internet in the title & thought I'd have nothing to contribute or understand!

I've tried to stop making any comments on political threads, but I'm sure I've not always suceeded. However, I will certainly think twice before straying into that world again.

Other than the footballing side, this site has an incredible positive going for it. That is you, the members & your responses when we've cried out for help.

Quite a few of us have opened up & spilt out heart out when we have been suffering from bereavement, depression or many other personal issues. The support we have received has been overwhelming & is an example of why LFW should not be limited solely to Queens Park Rangers, football or sport in general.

Finally, a very big thank you to Clive for keeping this site afloat, but also to the many of you that helped me in my fight with the "Black Dog". It was one of the tools that helped me rise out of the pit & has kept me out of it for quite a few years now. I'm sure many others would echo this.
Internet - serious business on 15:35 - Aug 30 with 1586 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

If like me you struggle not to go two footed into every non QPR debate because you are a rash, opinionated, contrarian who spends too much time on this forum, then here is a process that works for me time to time.

1. RESET YOUR PASSWORD

2. CHANGE YOUR LFW’S PASSWORD TO YOUR COMPUTER’S STRONG (AND RANDOM) PASSWORD SUGGESTION

3. DELETE YOUR COMPUTERS SAVED LOG IN DETAILS INCLUDING PASSWORD

This means when your spot a thread you don’t like that contains opinions you don’t like, the required process of resetting your details again acts like an obstacle course and gives you time to think ‘what are you doing you dickhead? Go outside’.
[Post edited 30 Aug 2023 15:39]
Internet - serious business on 16:12 - Aug 30 with 1542 viewseastside_r

I am glad that this has bumped back near the TOTB, so that I can congratulate Clive on his century (of recommendations) and to hope that he has come back from the Caledonian wilderness relaxed and refreshed.

I don't think I need to add my praise for this site because everything has been said already.

I joined the old 'Rivals' board (I surmise) shortly Clive took it over. Therefore I have been 'with him' for over 20 years now. I have made my admiration of his writing known on many occasions.

I would be absolutely gutted if we lost this precious resource.

In terms of moderation, I think Clive has always struck the right balance; unfortunately some posters have taken advantage of his open policy.

There are many threads (and a few posters!) that I just ignore. Unfortunately for Clive he does not have this luxury - he has to read all of it.

At the end of the day his gaffe, his rules.
Internet - serious business on 17:08 - Aug 30 with 1449 viewskensalriser

Internet - serious business on 07:58 - Aug 26 by hubble

It's funny - I came to this site for the QPR addiction we all suffer from, but I stayed for the banter, for the broad demographic, for the incredible range of opinions, attitudes, tastes and characters.

I'll be honest, I'm often more interested in the music threads or the political threads or the book/film/holiday suggestions than the football ones. So I'm really glad to know that you won't abandon the non-football side, Clive, or relegate it to a separate forum, it's what makes this site unique.

And, contrary to many it seems, I like it when people express opinions very different to my own, and I don't mind a bit of conflict, it's all grist to the mill as far as I'm concerned.

So many, many thanks for your wise and relatively neutral stance, Clive, and your willingness to support free speech, with all the usual caveats. In a world of increasingly suffocating orthodoxy and polarisation, it's a godsend.

Here's a bit of Conflict for you, Hud. Enjoy!

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Internet - serious business on 17:34 - Aug 30 with 1380 viewsloftboy

Sorry Clive, I posted something I shouldn’t have on the Russian thread,won’t happen again.
Enjoy your break.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Internet - serious business on 18:22 - Aug 30 with 1272 viewsdistortR

Internet - serious business on 17:08 - Aug 30 by kensalriser

Here's a bit of Conflict for you, Hud. Enjoy!

The old drummer, Paco (RIP) was a Rangers fan, chatted with him a couple of times before gigs.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024