Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Caulker Interview 12:42 - Jun 29 with 11404 viewsMrSheen

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jun/29/steven-caulker-mental-illness-a
Caulker Interview on 09:49 - Jul 2 with 1602 viewsLythamR

I recognise that addiction and depression are serious life effecting illnesses and have a lot of sympathy for people battling these issues.

I cant say I am convinced in the case of Caulker at the moment, I am torn between sympathy and thinking he is a complete w!nker.

I live in hope that he will do something that might sway me such as donating some of his vast unearned wages to the QPR ex players support fund, a 40th of his weekly wages would cover the money needed for Stan's care needs for instance, but i wont hold my breath
Caulker Interview on 10:04 - Jul 2 with 1591 viewscaliforniahoop

Caulker Interview on 09:49 - Jul 2 by LythamR

I recognise that addiction and depression are serious life effecting illnesses and have a lot of sympathy for people battling these issues.

I cant say I am convinced in the case of Caulker at the moment, I am torn between sympathy and thinking he is a complete w!nker.

I live in hope that he will do something that might sway me such as donating some of his vast unearned wages to the QPR ex players support fund, a 40th of his weekly wages would cover the money needed for Stan's care needs for instance, but i wont hold my breath

I think the club believe the latter.
Caulker Interview on 10:05 - Jul 2 with 1591 viewsDejR_vu

Caulker Interview on 09:49 - Jul 2 by LythamR

I personally think it's too easy for someone with a lot of money and time to give money and time. Don't get me wrong, it's still a good thing, the beneficiaries still benefit. But, to me, it doesn't demonstrate a real desire to change.

If I were him, and I was serious about sorting myself out, I would be thinking along these lines:

I've been at QPR for three years. I was part of the team that was relegated from the Premier League. I disappeared off on loan to Southampton and Liverpool and then last season was unavailable most of the year, in no small part down to my own actions. In that time (if the rumours of his earnings are accurate) I've picked up £6m in wages. The club has financial issues and has taken a different direction financially. So I'll tear up my remaining one year contract, offer to sign a two year contract on £2k per week.

It's a win-win. Holloway seemingly wants him, so he gets to play a season in the Championship and puts himself back in the shop window. QPR get a good player for a season and possibly a fee at the end. And, going back to the point, in so doing he does something tangible to give something back, rather than just saying how sorry he is.

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

Caulker Interview on 15:41 - Jul 2 with 1529 viewskensalriser

Caulker Interview on 10:05 - Jul 2 by DejR_vu

I personally think it's too easy for someone with a lot of money and time to give money and time. Don't get me wrong, it's still a good thing, the beneficiaries still benefit. But, to me, it doesn't demonstrate a real desire to change.

If I were him, and I was serious about sorting myself out, I would be thinking along these lines:

I've been at QPR for three years. I was part of the team that was relegated from the Premier League. I disappeared off on loan to Southampton and Liverpool and then last season was unavailable most of the year, in no small part down to my own actions. In that time (if the rumours of his earnings are accurate) I've picked up £6m in wages. The club has financial issues and has taken a different direction financially. So I'll tear up my remaining one year contract, offer to sign a two year contract on £2k per week.

It's a win-win. Holloway seemingly wants him, so he gets to play a season in the Championship and puts himself back in the shop window. QPR get a good player for a season and possibly a fee at the end. And, going back to the point, in so doing he does something tangible to give something back, rather than just saying how sorry he is.

But he doesn't have that choice because the club has told him he's not wanted.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Caulker Interview on 16:43 - Jul 2 with 1506 viewsDejR_vu

Caulker Interview on 15:41 - Jul 2 by kensalriser

Well, given everything else that the club is doing (the Community work / former players / Stan Bowles) it would suggest that they've simply had enough of him. The moral compass seems to be pointing in the right direction so it would be odd that they would treat current players any differently. It suggests that they've given up as they think he's a lost cause. That's why I say if he actually does something tangible to show that he means it, rather than just saying it (too easy, actions speak louder than words), then I can't see why the club would turn him away:

1) A two year contract on £2k per week costs the club less than a one year contract on £40k per week;
2) He gets to play a full season to prove he means what he says;
3) The club get a good player, focussed on playing;
3) The club can then possibly get a fee for him at the end of the season;
4) He gets to sign for another club and continue his career (as things stand his career is pretty much over, or at least any one signing him now will put so many conditions in place the contract won't be worth the paper it's written on).

Tough as it may be it's time to stand up and take some personal responsibility. Or he could just keep on talking about how he's going to sort himself out.

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

Caulker Interview on 12:31 - Jul 3 with 1421 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Caulker Interview on 15:41 - Jul 2 by kensalriser

What choice do the club have? He's had 3 years to buck his ideas up. You can't risk team spirit by persisting with a bad apple indefinitely, especially one on significantly higher wages than his teammates.
Caulker Interview on 15:50 - Jul 3 with 1382 viewskensalriser

Caulker Interview on 12:31 - Jul 3 by Benny_the_Ball

What choice do the club have? He's had 3 years to buck his ideas up. You can't risk team spirit by persisting with a bad apple indefinitely, especially one on significantly higher wages than his teammates.

That was a statement of fact, not opinion. I don't really have an opinion on this.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Caulker Interview on 18:36 - Jul 3 with 1327 viewsdistortR

Caulker Interview on 15:50 - Jul 3 by kensalriser

That was a statement of fact, not opinion. I don't really have an opinion on this.

he says the club says he isn't wanted. haven't heard it officially.
Login to get fewer ads

Caulker Interview on 22:46 - Jul 3 with 1267 viewsBrazilNutR

Would like to see the club stand by him and if he is going to prove anything to the world about his football, then he does at least the first part at Rangers... Sure if some new contract could be included... aimed at helping him.. targets etc., maybe that could be interesting..
Caulker Interview on 02:13 - Jul 4 with 1206 viewstimcocking

Its pretty much a lose lose. Sad, nobody comes out of it with too much credit.

All i know is, easier to live with depression when you have 50 grand a week coming in and you can choose not to bother working. And i'm not sure what throwing traffic cones about a train station has to do with depression either. That's being a tw@t. We all suffer from depression at times.

Either way, if he sorts his head out and can play, no reason not to let him. It doesn't sound likely, though.
Caulker Interview on 12:30 - Jul 4 with 1149 viewsHooparoo

Crocodile tears. See ya Stevie. 👋

Poll: Where will we finish up next season?

Caulker Interview on 12:33 - Jul 4 with 1143 viewsrunningman75

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/les-ferdinand-says-qpr-have-given-steve
Caulker Interview on 12:38 - Jul 4 with 1130 viewsHooparoo

Caulker Interview on 12:33 - Jul 4 by runningman75

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/les-ferdinand-says-qpr-have-given-steve

Sounds like Les is leaving the door open there. Maybe also making the point that Stevie boy should be talking to him, not the papers.

Poll: Where will we finish up next season?

Caulker Interview on 12:39 - Jul 4 with 1126 viewsdavman

Caulker Interview on 12:38 - Jul 4 by Hooparoo

Sounds like Les is leaving the door open there. Maybe also making the point that Stevie boy should be talking to him, not the papers.

Amazing really that he is signed off sick. Do you think he's on Statutory Sick Pay (c£100 per week)?

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Caulker Interview on 12:48 - Jul 4 with 1117 viewsBrightonhoop

Caulker Interview on 12:38 - Jul 4 by Hooparoo

eckon you are about right there. Doors not closed after all and got a hint too Ferdinand mentioning 'talking candidly' is not the way to go about things.

Caulker could do with some new advisors. And let the football do his talking.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024