Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Robins left red faced after defeat at the JCS 21:32 - Oct 18 with 2475 viewsdurham_exile

It seems an absolute age since our last league games against Carlisle United which ended in a 0-0 draw.

Tomorrow sees 17th place Col U with 11 points from 10 games against 21st place Cheltenham Town with 10 points from 11 games. So, on paper another winnable game and indeed three points are required to start to move up the table.

Michael Flynn brings the Robins, with a possible appearance from Harry Pell. But our nemesis Ryan Bowman and Matty Taylor are amongst the Robins strikers. Bowman whether at Exeter, Shrewsbury or wherever always seems to score against the U’s.

Of course, whenever I think about Cheltenham I automatically think about Steven Gillespie. We signed him for £400,000 from the Robins and he scored 25 goals in 98 appearances despite a wretched injury record. He still watches the U’s when we play in the North West and he was always one of my favourites.

The week off for International break has certainly benefitted the U’s. The players had a couple of days rest and DC will have had several days to prepare for this vital game. I am however not sure whether Edwards and Bishop are fit enough to start at home to Cheltenham.

Taylor, McDonnell and Donnelly should all be back and raring to go after their respective International Matches.

I reckon a home victory and a six-goal thriller with a 4-2 scoreline.

Team:

Macey

Kells Flanagan Iandolo

Egbo Read Woodyard Payne

Gordon Taylor Tovide

Subs

Smith Hopper Scully Donnelly Goodliffe McDonnell Anderson

Weather will be 15 degrees Celsius, a slight breeze but showery.

Attendance just over 4,200 with perhaps 140 from Gloucestershire.

DC says that we should already have 18 points and I’m not going to argue but we have to earn those points and only a decent and positive performance is required tomorrow at fortress JCS.

Enjoy the game

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Robins left red faced after defeat at the JCS on 22:36 - Oct 18 with 1714 viewsSparkfilmsTV

DC must have looked at the league table and thought - there is nothing to be scared of.

In my opinion this is the weakest Division Two has been since we re-entered it and a top seven place should be the minimum requirement.
Robins left red faced after defeat at the JCS on 12:36 - Oct 19 with 1628 viewsMoor_Pinot

Robins left red faced after defeat at the JCS on 22:36 - Oct 18 by SparkfilmsTV

DC must have looked at the league table and thought - there is nothing to be scared of.

In my opinion this is the weakest Division Two has been since we re-entered it and a top seven place should be the minimum requirement.

I understand your sentiment and analysis but possibly, just possibly could it also be that the division is conversely stronger than for some time?

It seems to have no stand out team and everyone seems capable of beating everyone else.

Noah felt that Walsall were the best side and best organised team yet they lost 2-6 four days later.

We shall see. I'd just welcome mid-table security.

AfcWimbledon are potentially best placed to establish authority in our league as they have a good record and games in hand. They were decent against us too.

Moor Pinot

Robins left red faced after defeat at the JCS on 14:17 - Oct 19 with 1583 viewsdurham_exile

Starting XI

Macey

Hunt Kells Flanagan Iandolo

Payne Read Woodyard

Gordon Taylor Tovide

Subs

Smith Goodliffe Anderson Hopper McDonnell Egbo Donnelly

Just one difference from my predicted line up

Hunt instead of Egbo

How does Hunt start ahead of Egbo though?

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Robins left red faced after defeat at the JCS on 15:23 - Oct 19 with 1538 viewsburnsieespana

Distasterous start.
Robins left red faced after defeat at the JCS on 15:28 - Oct 19 with 1534 viewsdurham_exile

Robins left red faced after defeat at the JCS on 15:23 - Oct 19 by burnsieespana

Distasterous start.

Lyle Taylor 1-1

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Robins left red faced after defeat at the JCS on 15:59 - Oct 19 with 1486 viewsnoah4x4

Is this THE worst referee of all time? I’ve seen similar tackles at Twickenham. Cheltenham are an utter bunch of thugs. Zero protection from referee, Tovide already off crippled.

To be fair, their goals have been outstanding. Our response, Tom Hopper. Oh dear, back to one place above relegation, our eternal destiny…..
Robins left red faced after defeat at the JCS on 16:03 - Oct 19 with 1449 viewsthrillseeker

Robins left red faced after defeat at the JCS on 14:17 - Oct 19 by durham_exile

Starting XI

Macey

Hunt Kells Flanagan Iandolo

Payne Read Woodyard

Gordon Taylor Tovide

Subs

Smith Goodliffe Anderson Hopper McDonnell Egbo Donnelly

Just one difference from my predicted line up

Hunt instead of Egbo

How does Hunt start ahead of Egbo though?

Up the U's

How does Hunt start ahead of Egbo?

Absolutely no idea Durham
Robins left red faced after defeat at the JCS on 16:41 - Oct 19 with 1407 viewsTheOldOakTree

Used all our subs with 22mins + added time still to go!

All looks a bit clueless.
Login to get fewer ads

Robins left red faced after defeat at the JCS on 16:52 - Oct 19 with 1380 viewsCrashBandicoot

Cowley needs to turn this shitshow round quickly or leave. Not good enough.

Poll: Who would you like as next Us head coach

Robins left red faced after defeat at the JCS on 17:03 - Oct 19 with 1347 viewsdurham_exile

Robins left red faced after defeat at the JCS on 16:52 - Oct 19 by CrashBandicoot

Grim times indeed

Durham_exile

Robins left red faced after defeat at the JCS on 17:05 - Oct 19 with 1332 viewsCrashBandicoot

IMO the Cowleys can split the taxi fare between them. Time for them to go and RC needs to have one long hard look at how he's running the club.

Robins left red faced after defeat at the JCS on 17:07 - Oct 19 with 1320 viewsTheOldOakTree

Robins left red faced after defeat at the JCS on 16:52 - Oct 19 by CrashBandicoot

6 wins in 31 is enough to get anyone the sack, but no one else is going to do any better with a squad wafer thin on quality. We’re predictably paying the price for selling too many good players.

Big worry that Samson might not be fit for Tuesday and Taylor has played 104 mins today. WE don’t have any back up.

Need a better performance against the Spirites, but realistically its going to be difficult to get anything more than a draw.
Robins left red faced after defeat at the JCS on 17:08 - Oct 19 with 1315 viewsMoor_Pinot

Robins left red faced after defeat at the JCS on 17:03 - Oct 19 by durham_exile

Grim times indeed

Still down where we've become accustomed and that's part of the problem I suppose.
A bunch of players who haven't gelled at all yet and no strikers as usual. As I have often said, with a ground that's never been much of a home advantage mid table will be a real achievement and we must work at picking up some points away from home. Consistent we are not, good enough we are nowhere near. As supporters yes, Durham "grim", but at least we're used to it.

Moor Pinot

Robins left red faced after defeat at the JCS on 17:10 - Oct 19 with 1301 viewswessex_exile

Well that was rubbish by any measure, and against a poor Cheltenham Town too. We just didn't seem to have an idea second half. Chesterfield on Tuesday night is going to be a tough one, which probably means we'll go on and win it.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Robins left red faced after defeat at the JCS on 17:22 - Oct 19 with 1248 viewsfranksic1988

This is what happens you put a PE Teacher that talks Bullshit in charge… To rub salt into the wounds we had Garner who knew his football and RC never backed him…. We got 2 grade a clowns and he gone above and beyond. Has any other manager been allowed to make so many transfers / signings as the chuckle brothers…. This is on their laps….

I’ve been quiet about this as it’s just a matter of time and I sound like a broken record but boys this was easy to see how we finished last season.
Robins left red faced after defeat at the JCS on 17:31 - Oct 19 with 1224 viewsCrashBandicoot

Robins left red faced after defeat at the JCS on 17:10 - Oct 19 by wessex_exile

Well that was rubbish by any measure, and against a poor Cheltenham Town too. We just didn't seem to have an idea second half. Chesterfield on Tuesday night is going to be a tough one, which probably means we'll go on and win it.

I think the only chance we have of beating Chesterfield is if 3 pigs fly past my window and/or the whole Chesterfield team go down with food poisoning.

The fact is we just haven't got enough quality up front - Taylor is ok on his day but not consistent enough and we can't really rely on him. Tovide likewise and his temper can cause us problems. Hopper scores possibly once in a blue moon and none of our management or ownership seem to understand why and never invest in the team properly..

Also our issues in defence have not been rectified.

At the very least we urgently need to invest in a consistent goalscorer or 2 in the next transfer window and pack Jay and Hopper off on loan to an NL club before releasing them.

Robins left red faced after defeat at the JCS on 17:45 - Oct 19 with 1188 viewsCrashBandicoot

Robins left red faced after defeat at the JCS on 17:22 - Oct 19 by franksic1988

This is what happens you put a PE Teacher that talks Bullshit in charge… To rub salt into the wounds we had Garner who knew his football and RC never backed him…. We got 2 grade a clowns and he gone above and beyond. Has any other manager been allowed to make so many transfers / signings as the chuckle brothers…. This is on their laps….

I’ve been quiet about this as it’s just a matter of time and I sound like a broken record but boys this was easy to see how we finished last season.

I think you're correct on all that though I think BG fell out of favour with the rest of the management and the team - though I agree he would have done much better with more backing from RC and more control of the team with no interference from the others which I can only assume destabilised the team.

Unfortunately the Cowleys need to go and we need someone who will take charge and insist on better players and isn't afraid to drop or move non performers on instead of a yes man. We do not want a repeat of the disastrous run last season that ME took us down.

Robins left red faced after defeat at the JCS on 18:07 - Oct 19 with 1143 viewsbwildered

Back to square one for the U’s , no improvement of last season.
Typical away performance, take what you are given, and shut up shop.
More grappling than football in the first half, which the ref strangely did nothing about, and a second half completely devoid of any decent approach play or quality in the box.
Two bad sides making up D2 .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Robins left red faced after defeat at the JCS on 18:13 - Oct 19 with 1124 viewsmfb_cufc

Highlights?

mfb

Robins left red faced after defeat at the JCS on 18:20 - Oct 19 with 1119 viewsMarkyMark47

I don't get Hunt over Egbo. If he was a better defender you could make a case but he isn't, and Egbo poses a much bigger attacking threat. Odd...

I've become converted to Taylor though - an excellent combination with Tovide again and a cool finish. I thought he put in a real shift today, although I'm sure he will be gutted at missing the chance near the end.

What's happening to the midfield??
Robins left red faced after defeat at the JCS on 18:51 - Oct 19 with 1047 viewsfranksic1988

Robins left red faced after defeat at the JCS on 17:45 - Oct 19 by CrashBandicoot

I think you're correct on all that though I think BG fell out of favour with the rest of the management and the team - though I agree he would have done much better with more backing from RC and more control of the team with no interference from the others which I can only assume destabilised the team.

Unfortunately the Cowleys need to go and we need someone who will take charge and insist on better players and isn't afraid to drop or move non performers on instead of a yes man. We do not want a repeat of the disastrous run last season that ME took us down.

You need a footballing man In charge one the board back. Garner made more of an impression of phases of play and football set up than the pe teachers have in nearly a year…. The writing was on the wall early on for dc and nc. They have brung nothing to the club from day one … but lack of knowledge and excuses. They change the team every week. They make stupid subs. They take players in form and manage to take them out of form… Robbie has backed these guys too.

We don’t need a PE teacher obsessed with sill stats and laptops… just a guy that knows how to gel a team of 15 blokes, his strongest team and half an idea how to get the best out of them..
Robins left red faced after defeat at the JCS on 18:52 - Oct 19 with 1044 viewsWitham

When Samson went off our game plan went with him Cheltenham were rugged - does nobody in our management team go and watch teams before we play them - and apart from Samson nobody really wanted to get stuck in. In a game where the ref has demonstrated that anything goes you have to adapt m
Taylor was the only one who showed real desire to win. The two goals we gave away demonstrated the weakness of our defence- despite two defenders the cross's came in for the first, and the second we just watched his twinkletoes as he waltzed past us
Robbie is satisfied that the (to date) increased attendance has paid the Cowley's wages, but I can't see that support continuing at this rate
Robins left red faced after defeat at the JCS on 19:49 - Oct 19 with 954 viewsnoah4x4

I can’t recall a worse home performance since Stevenage trashed us one Boxing Day. Fortunately, Cheltenham were only marginally better.

What baffles me is why the Cowley’s rate Hunt and Flanagan so highly?
Robins left red faced after defeat at the JCS on 21:46 - Oct 19 with 852 viewsmfb_cufc

Danny - well short of what he expects.

mfb

Robins left red faced after defeat at the JCS on 21:52 - Oct 19 with 840 viewsTheOldOakTree

Holy crap DC looks a broken man here, like he's about to give up.

Never mind the last 4 years, the 12 before that weren't too clever either, so we're pretty conditioned to this.

Not much time before Tuesday, and with the injuries it's difficult to see what he can do. We could certainly do with the rub of the green.
[Post edited 19 Oct 22:04]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024