Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
United thru time 12:43 - Oct 18 with 783 viewsbwildered

United Through Time.
This project will celebrate the history of Colchester United Football Club by engaging supporters in sharing their favourite moments. These moments will be crafted into a timeline that will decorate the stadium, honouring the club’s history.
Will end up with all the usual big games, names in the great league and cup campaigns .

So instead let’s have some of your alternative moments, incidents which will not make the timeline but forever in your memory, on or off field in your association with watch the U’s , over the years.

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

United thru time on 15:37 - Oct 18 with 563 viewsTheOldOakTree

As I see it, if you support the U’s, you shouldn’t take football too seriously. For me, it’s as much about the beer, the pies, the experience and atmosphere, as it is about what happens on the pitch. Especially away games, seeing a different part of the country.

Fond memories of Layer Road, like the wonky portacabin toilets behind the Barside, that were so out of level and so leaky, you needed your wellies if you were unfortunate enough to be in line for a position at the low end.

Tearing a page out of your season ticket booklet as you entered the ancient turnstiles.

The ‘Banter’ from the Barside, like when Tony Robinson of ‘Time Team’ fame came along to Layer Road after the only known Roman circus in Britain had just been discovered in Colchester.

I think the idea was to stand in front of the Barside and record a piece about how major spectator events had been going on in Colchester for the best part of 2000 years.

It looked to be going well until the Barsiders broke into a chorus of “Baldrick takes it up the ####” I'm guessing that it was never aired!

Memories, hey Ron ……… jumpers for goalposts. Rush goalie. Two at the back, three in the middle, four up front, one's gone home for his tea. Beans on toast? Possibly, don't quote me on that. Marvellous.
United thru time on 15:37 - Oct 18 with 562 viewsWitham

Standing behind Perry Groves in the queue at Colchester Station as he bought a ticket to Highbury to sign for Arsenal
United thru time on 15:44 - Oct 18 with 559 viewsTheOldOakTree

Annoyingly, I was at ‘the’ Leeds game, but I was so young that I have very little memory of it!
United thru time on 15:50 - Oct 18 with 556 viewsTheOldOakTree

Having successfully delivered the match ball by Lynx helicopter for a U’s v Aldershot game, some plonker thought it would be a good idea to have a Sea King helicopter do a similar thing a few months later.

Everyone in the Barside cowering in fear as they were showered with rust from the roof sheeting, while the ridiculously powerful downdraught nearly ripped the stand apart.
United thru time on 16:16 - Oct 18 with 532 viewsSparkfilmsTV

Colchester United reserves - London Midweek League at Layer Road....l think it was 1970. Myself and Dave Knight in the Barside stand in a sparse crowd ( l seem to recall 97 somehow ).

The linesman does not appear to know the offside law and one of the few spectators in the Barside is repeatedly calling him a fxxxxxx cxxx.

This goes on for about 10 minutes until the spectator comes down from the back of the stand, jumps over the wall, and puts the linesman in a headlock as he wrestles him to the ground.

I don't think anyone else apart from David and l were aware of this for fully a minute or so, eventually one of the players draws the referees attention and the irate fan is finally pulled off a very shaken linesman by a group of players.
United thru time on 16:27 - Oct 18 with 524 viewsSparkfilmsTV

Many fans will be aware of the dog that came on the pitch during a Colchester United v Brentford match at Layer Road around 1971.

What is so incredible about this is the length of time the dog was on the pitch and how the Brentford players were actually passing the ball to one another as the dog chased it - in front of the main stand.

The dog was absolutely determined to make an impression on the match and he makes a 70 yard sprint for the ball only to clash with the Brentford goalkeeper Chic Brodie.

The injury caused to Brodie's knee from the hound's impact finished his professional career.

PS - l think this was on 'Match of the Week'.

😊😊
[Post edited 18 Oct 16:31]
United thru time on 17:05 - Oct 18 with 496 viewsSparkfilmsTV

United thru time on 16:27 - Oct 18 by SparkfilmsTV

Many fans will be aware of the dog that came on the pitch during a Colchester United v Brentford match at Layer Road around 1971.

What is so incredible about this is the length of time the dog was on the pitch and how the Brentford players were actually passing the ball to one another as the dog chased it - in front of the main stand.

The dog was absolutely determined to make an impression on the match and he makes a 70 yard sprint for the ball only to clash with the Brentford goalkeeper Chic Brodie.

The injury caused to Brodie's knee from the hound's impact finished his professional career.

PS - l think this was on 'Match of the Week'.

😊😊
[Post edited 18 Oct 16:31]

I have just watched the 28 second clip of this on YouTube but somewhere on YouTube there is a much longer piece.

The dog actually stood off Micky Cook but went for everyone else in his sight.

Cook plays a long upfield pass to Brian Gibbs and the dog makes an intelligent diagonal run into the box.

Chic Brodie had a colourful career as the Brentford goalkeeper and had a number of items thrown at him over the years. One was a hand grenade at The Den.

He was hit by several meat pies too.

I recall a Colchester player having a turnip thrown at him while taking a corner in a night match at Peterborough.

It gave him quite a whack. We won 1 - 0 though and there were a selection of turnips on the pitch by the end of the match - someone had bought a large bag full into the ground.
United thru time on 18:47 - Oct 18 with 485 viewsbwildered

I was changing ends at half time, behind the main stand, the changing room door opens and U’s goalie Ron Willis is stretchered into a nearby ambulance after earlier being carried off.
Not a pretty sight, looked like he had done several rounds with Ali .

Login to get fewer ads

United thru time on 19:11 - Oct 18 with 478 viewsgerry_us

My wife and I also were at the memorable Leeds match accompanied by our unborn first child who has now turned into Chesterfield supporter ...
Apart from the obvious memories of the match itself, the memories of walking back into town surrounded by Leeds supporters who were surprisingly cheerful and happy to chat with us. I cheekily offered to swap my U's scarf for a Leeds scarf and one of the Leeds supporters happily obliged.
What has happened to football supporters since. More likely to swap punches now, not scarves.
United thru time on 20:14 - Oct 18 with 440 viewsTheOldOakTree

A Friday night away game at the quite unfriendly Racecourse ground, about 25 years ago. I’d driven up very early in the day, because I had matters to attend to in the midlands. At kick off there were about 20 of us in the away end trying to out-sing about 4,000!

Unbeknown to me there had been a very nasty smash up later in the day and the motorways were paralysed. Thankfully the CUSA coach turned up just before half time and it felt like the cavalry had arrived!
United thru time on 20:45 - Oct 18 with 414 viewsSparkfilmsTV

Boxing Day 1968. A single supporters coach carrying 37 of us to Grimsby Town.

About 30 of us went into the Grimsby end and a few of us got whacked including myself.

There was a snow storm. One of our party who had consumed a fair amount of rum on the journey up fell down the terracing and broke his leg.

The result was Grimsby Town 2 Colchester United 4.

We carried the injured onto the coach after the match. Several of us had black eyes and cut lips - which we asked for l suppose. Someone had a dislocated shoulder - another was missing several teeth.

When the coach driver saw the extent of the injuries he had no alternative than to take us to Cleethorpes Hospital.

There must have been about 15 of us in A&E.

Then we see this kid come in with his mother.

He had a saucepan stuck on his head!

His mother said 'He's done it before'.
United thru time on 20:51 - Oct 18 with 416 viewsdurham_exile

Football League Cup 2nd Round Replay at Layer Road, 7 September 1977.

Finished work in London and took the train to Colchester. Blackburn Rovers were the opposition. We won 4-0 with Bobby Gough scoring a brace, Ian Allinson and Colin Garwood. 5,500 crowd still one of the best games that I have seen at Layer Road. John Homewood was the referee and it was a great night.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

United thru time on 20:59 - Oct 18 with 405 viewsSparkfilmsTV

United thru time on 18:47 - Oct 18 by bwildered

I was changing ends at half time, behind the main stand, the changing room door opens and U’s goalie Ron Willis is stretchered into a nearby ambulance after earlier being carried off.
Not a pretty sight, looked like he had done several rounds with Ali .

I remember that injury. It happened at the Layer Road end during an evening match ( l think ).

We were right behind it and actually saw the eye swelling up quickly.

It was accidental and there was a lot of concern from both teams and the officials - and the St John Ambulance guys.
United thru time on 21:04 - Oct 18 with 402 viewsSparkfilmsTV

United thru time on 20:51 - Oct 18 by durham_exile

Finished work in London and took the train to Colchester. Blackburn Rovers were the opposition. We won 4-0 with Bobby Gough scoring a brace, Ian Allinson and Colin Garwood. 5,500 crowd still one of the best games that I have seen at Layer Road. John Homewood was the referee and it was a great night.

Up the U's

I remember that game too!

Colchester played sensational football - not just for passages of the game, but throughout.
United thru time on 21:33 - Oct 18 with 401 viewsdurham_exile

United thru time on 21:04 - Oct 18 by SparkfilmsTV

I remember that game too!

Colchester played sensational football - not just for passages of the game, but throughout.

It was superb.

Can we reproduce such a game tomorrow!

Durham_exile

United thru time on 21:36 - Oct 18 with 400 viewswessex_exile

A few personal recollections that probably won't make the final playlist, but which resonate with me:

Guy Branston goading Sean Devine into the fist fight that resulting in two red cards, probably guaranteeing our play-off final against Torquay.

Aidan Davison's "you shall not pass" masterclass at Kenilworth Road.

Scott McGleish's hat-trick at Sixfields.

Sammie's blistering late winner at Barnet.

Scott Barrett's winner at Adams Park, which by the end of the season effectively ensured our promotion.

Joe Dunne's equaliser in front of the brave "53" at Ninian Park.

Colin Garwood's goal against Derby (that really should make the list).

Mark Yeates' second at Brentford, particularly in the context of what had occurred moments before that.

Scott Vernon's sublime winner after Doogie tore down the wing at Bournemouth, which effectively set up our promotion to the Championship.

I know there are more that will come to me, but here's a few for starters.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

United thru time on 22:07 - Oct 18 with 385 viewsSparkfilmsTV

APRIL 25th, 1969 - Colchester United v Swansea City

'The Swansea Riots'.

I realise that this was the season when other than our time in the Conference l travelled to most matches.

The season had started poorly but Dick Graham began to weave his magic and hundreds of us would cram into the Layer Road end as Colchester climbed the table.

With around four matches to go promotion was very much in our sights but a one nil home defeat to Swansea City was a massive blow to our chances.

This was an evening match.

We didn't plan to have a riot but this is what it was described as by The Daily Express and possibly The Daily Mail the following day.

About two or three hundred of us climbed over the wall and started to run around the pitch like maniacs - l ended up at the front of the pack somehow.

We climbed up into the main stand and started stamping. The players were in the baths and Brian Hall later told me the plaster was falling off the ceiling and some of the white tiles were dropping off the walls.

We didn't stop there. We went outside the ground and tried to turn the Swansea City coach on it's side. The driver was sitting at the wheel and he just tipped over and slide down the steps

There must have been about eighty of us at the side of the coach and we had it in the air at times. There were several girls involved in this.

I remember running into town and we were kicking fences and dustbins - we ( l ) got carried away and it just shows how a mob can briefly become one.

We all had such an adrenalin rush and the whole thing just erupted out of nothing.

All it took was one person to jump over the wall and we all followed.

That season we took blows at Grimsby, Peterborough ( they had bicycle chains ) and Southend to mention just a few.

After the Swansea match l was never involved in anything like that again.

I knew that what we did was wrong but it was exhilarating.
United thru time on 22:27 - Oct 18 with 372 viewsSparkfilmsTV

United thru time on 21:36 - Oct 18 by wessex_exile

A few personal recollections that probably won't make the final playlist, but which resonate with me:

Guy Branston goading Sean Devine into the fist fight that resulting in two red cards, probably guaranteeing our play-off final against Torquay.

Aidan Davison's "you shall not pass" masterclass at Kenilworth Road.

Scott McGleish's hat-trick at Sixfields.

Sammie's blistering late winner at Barnet.

Scott Barrett's winner at Adams Park, which by the end of the season effectively ensured our promotion.

Joe Dunne's equaliser in front of the brave "53" at Ninian Park.

Colin Garwood's goal against Derby (that really should make the list).

Mark Yeates' second at Brentford, particularly in the context of what had occurred moments before that.

Scott Vernon's sublime winner after Doogie tore down the wing at Bournemouth, which effectively set up our promotion to the Championship.

I know there are more that will come to me, but here's a few for starters.

Barry Dominy scoring the only goal during extra time in a sensational League Cup replay at The Dell against a star studded Southampton side including Peter Osgood and Mike Channon.

Roy Massey scoring all three at Reading in a League Cup replay.

Rochdale away pre Leeds United.

West Bromwich Albion 4 Colchester United 4 and Phil Bloss scoring the winning penalty in The Watney Cup Final!

Stratton and McKechie scoring at Chelmsford City in front of 17,000 at New Writtle Street pre West Bromwich Albion epic in 1967.

Robert Scott at Darlington.
United thru time on 22:31 - Oct 18 with 373 viewsnoah4x4

Nothing can ever top Norwich 1 - 7 Colchester United.

Although beating Wolves in the Championship at Layer Road comes close.
United thru time on 22:55 - Oct 18 with 367 viewsgerry_us

How many in the board sung "we want ten" for the last few minutes of a game?
Well, I did at the demolition of Bradford City. 9-1 on 30/12/1961
There, that shows how old I am!
United thru time on 02:19 - Oct 19 with 352 viewsghughes11

Tony Lock sliding tackle vs Wycombe at Layer Road. Resulted in a 20 man brawl on the pitch + numerous others off it!

Hearing Joe Dunne shout at Steve Forbes that he "f'ing wants this" at Layer Road in the Play-off semi-final versus Barnet.

Telling Joe Dunne that I was there at Ninian Park when he scored the late equaliser that Wessex mentioned, moments before he injured himself and I think never played for the club again :-(

Poll: What was the main reason for the Col U win versus Carlisle?

United thru time on 08:11 - Oct 19 with 323 viewsSparkfilmsTV

United thru time on 22:55 - Oct 18 by gerry_us

How many in the board sung "we want ten" for the last few minutes of a game?
Well, I did at the demolition of Bradford City. 9-1 on 30/12/1961
There, that shows how old I am!

Yep, l too sung along with 'We want Ten' - Colchester had just lost to Bradford City a few days before up at Valley Parade by 4 goals to 1.

In the Layer Road encounter Bobby Hill opened the scoring after 40 seconds - scoring off his knee l believe, then it was over to Bobby Hunt and Martyn King to score four goals each.

I recall seeing Accrington Stanley ( the original! ) playing at Layer Road. We beat them by about four goals but all their results were deleted as they went out of business ( possibly before the season's conclusion ).

Hartlepool used to be the whipping boys back then - several six nils recorded in the U's favour l seem to recall.

At least back then you got to see a football match between two teams, these days we see a game between two squads which can unravel into about five different matches and require another ten minutes to conclude.
United thru time on 12:09 - Oct 19 with 299 viewsbwildered

United thru time on 20:51 - Oct 18 by durham_exile

Up the U's

A night of total football. Never missed placed a pass all night. Outclassed from start to finish. Against Jim Smith side that included Bobby Svarc.
[Post edited 19 Oct 12:09]

United thru time on 14:55 - Oct 19 with 256 viewsTheOldOakTree

U's 5 Bristol Rovers 4
United thru time on 15:42 - Oct 19 with 240 viewsMoor_Pinot

* I was also witness to the dog attack yChic Brodie.
* I was one of Wessex' 53 at Cardiff - wonderful Joe Dunne goal.
* But, on balance I think it's the last minute howler own goal at Craven Cottage when we won 1-2 with ten men after a tremendous rear guard performance in torrential rain! Superb goal by Kinsella too.

Moor Pinot

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024