Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
That miss…. 23:04 - Aug 30 with 10287 viewsDoudou87

I can’t stop thinking about it!

Massive shout out to the fans who applauded his every effort after it. Would of been crushing to have given him any stick, save that for behind my computer screen.

Completely shot of confidence. Yes he’s got a good work rate but he’s just not on the same wave length as our attackers. It seems like an intentional move that our fullbacks are playing the ball in low for our attacking midfields to come onto and shoot. He very rarely gets the ball under control or gets a decent flick on, so I’m sat here wondering what exactly he brings to our new system. Not sure we even need a target man and rather a false 9.

Not long left until we find out if there is anyone lined up to take his place.

Hope he comes good, I really do.

Poll: Preferred rumoured CB

That miss…. on 15:14 - Aug 31 with 1852 viewsWatfordR

That miss…. on 12:14 - Aug 31 by gazza1

He is not good enough, I doubt very much that he ever will be and making excuse after excuse for him is just covering up for his poor play. Some of the stuff being said 'he is a confidence player' - what player is not a confidence player?, 'he works hard' - & so he should do because that is his job and that is what he gets paid for!!, won a few decent headers - wow a 6' plus player wins headers, that is his ' bread & butter'!! and so on. Unless he scores goals then he is not what we need as our main striker....it is as simple as that. He isn't even working the keeper very often.

I am not knocking him too much about his last 2 performances because I think he did a reasonable job in both matches, but he never scored again. Last nigh, however, he missed the simplest of chances (because of his confidence apparently!!!) that a schoolboy would score and he also failed to attack a nice cross from the left in the 2nd half - he just watched it rather that get on the end of it. His control of the football leaves a lot to be desired as well.

The sooner we get in a player who will score striker/CF goals the better for QPR.

I don't think that anyone is really putting up an argument that Dykes is the best striker we've ever had, or anything near it. I've suggested elsewhere that I think he is being asked to do various other things for the team, and it looks to me that he is just thinking too much about that and not about doing what most good strikers do, be selfish.

There's another side to the argument here I think. Yes, you expect to see strikers score, but would a selfish striker also do all the other work that's being required for the good of the team? And if we're looking for a goalscoring striker who's going to work that hard as well, how much is one of them going to cost? The answer is probably "more than we can currently afford".

The reaction from his team mates last night suggests they aren't unhappy with the effort he's putting in on their behalf. And if MB is as good a coach as is speculated, maybe he'll actually be able to get enough out of Dykes to serve a purpose.

But over and above all that, we can't expect to get through the season with Dykes and Armstrong as our only strikers. We do need another option, and I think MB has said he's looking to bring in players who can start in the team. So I'd be surprised if we don't have another option through the door in the next day or so.
That miss…. on 15:39 - Aug 31 with 1764 viewsManinBlack

Sure it was a bad miss but it is more disturbing that we don't seem to be able to score second half goals at the Loft end in front of our own supporters. It's as if an invisible shield has appeared around the goal when we attack it.
That miss…. on 15:40 - Aug 31 with 1758 viewsstanistheman

That miss…. on 11:52 - Aug 31 by traininvain

I’ve not completely given up on Dykes just yet. Yes he’s on a barren run and looks very short of confidence in front of goal. But he’s also had a couple of purple patches.

No he is not on barren run. He had a purple patch between March and April 2021 and the rest of the time has been largely awful in front of goal and occasionally scoring a goal.

He scored about 8 goals in maybe 12 games during his good run and 13 including 5 pens in the other 65.

He puts in a shift but as a lone striker he is not going to score many. Maybe would be better in a 2 man strike force, but we don't play that way.

Judging by his performances so far, I doubt that Roberts will do any better in his shoes. Last night there was an attack with Chair going towards the byline and Roberts was gently strolling towards the edge of the area instead of sprinting into it for a cross!
That miss…. on 15:42 - Aug 31 with 1743 viewsbakerloo8

Lots of excuses being made for Dykes but he's the only man that can kick himself out the slump he is in.

Personally I think he's not good enough for us and playing infront of 2 of the best and most creative players in the league he should be filling his boots but he's not. The miss was terrible, why is he even taking a touch there anyway? But what was worse for me an no-one seems to pick up on it was the original cross from a brilliant chair run was on a plate for him and he was goalside of the defender 3 yards out and got bullied out of the header. It's almost like he didn't want to be in that position, like he was afraid to miss. Criminal.

He will always get backing from the fans whilst he is with us and rightly so. But he needs to buck his ideas up because his wastefullness is costing us (but not last night).
That miss…. on 15:59 - Aug 31 with 1682 viewsRs_Holy

That miss…. on 15:40 - Aug 31 by stanistheman

No he is not on barren run. He had a purple patch between March and April 2021 and the rest of the time has been largely awful in front of goal and occasionally scoring a goal.

He scored about 8 goals in maybe 12 games during his good run and 13 including 5 pens in the other 65.

He puts in a shift but as a lone striker he is not going to score many. Maybe would be better in a 2 man strike force, but we don't play that way.

Judging by his performances so far, I doubt that Roberts will do any better in his shoes. Last night there was an attack with Chair going towards the byline and Roberts was gently strolling towards the edge of the area instead of sprinting into it for a cross!

yep Roberts looked a bit dis-interested last night... fingers crossed just a one off?
That miss…. on 16:00 - Aug 31 with 1673 viewskensalriser

That miss…. on 15:39 - Aug 31 by ManinBlack

Sure it was a bad miss but it is more disturbing that we don't seem to be able to score second half goals at the Loft end in front of our own supporters. It's as if an invisible shield has appeared around the goal when we attack it.

I can live with that when we're scoring three at the school end.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

That miss…. on 16:05 - Aug 31 with 1632 viewstraininvain

That miss…. on 15:40 - Aug 31 by stanistheman

Dykes also scored 6 goals between August and end of October last season before getting injured. Not a bad return and I would say another purple patch.

Unfortunately he’s been on a long barren run since returning from injury in early 2022 but I wouldn’t write him off as we’ve seen he can score goals in patches.
That miss…. on 16:16 - Aug 31 with 1599 viewsdenhamhoop2

It was Dean Coney esque it was that bad but overall I thought he had a decent enough game in terms of hold up play. Thought it was quite noticeable how many of the other players spent much of the next 10 minutes trying to tee up another chance for him. Your peers are normally a good indicator of how well or badly a player is thought of at a club.
He will never be a prolific goal scorer but has the potential to be a Ewan Roberts style lump centre forward and is currently the best we currently have so it is what it is
Login to get fewer ads

That miss…. on 16:39 - Aug 31 with 1506 viewsMatch82

That miss…. on 10:05 - Aug 31 by Malintabuk

Superb shout. When I logged on at half time here I was going to mention that but thought that at 3 -0 it might be a little crass
But that one moment sums up Dykes for me
The lad is willing and does a lot of graft but he is in the team to score goals
Apart from a purple patch of 10-15 games he really as not done a lot
He is most likely the best we have at the club and MB may have no option but to play him.... but if Dykes is an answer we are asking the wrong questions
Like a lot on here.... is is one of ours and I hope I'm wrong.

"The lad is willing and does a lot of graft but he is in the team to score goals"

Is he? It's one of his jobs, sure, but he's more Emile Heskey than Michael Owen. He's not a traditional out and out striker where they just have to stick the ball in the back of the net, and yesterday he does the other parts of his job well.

Now granted that isn't always been the case. It IS still a part of his job to score and he has been under delivering there. And he HAS had several games in the last 6 months where the other aspects of his game haven't been where they need to either.

On balance I don't think he's done enough in the last 6-9 months for us to justify his place, but I don't think it's fair to reduce his contribution to just whether he scores goals or not, and I think overall yesterday he had a good game. Awful miss though.
That miss…. on 18:44 - Aug 31 with 1349 viewsthemodfather

bad miss but hopefully dykes gets a few soon , any goal would be a confidence boost for him and us.
That miss…. on 20:01 - Aug 31 with 1264 viewsDamo1962

That miss…. on 00:30 - Aug 31 by QPR_Hibs

Dykes scored against Middlesboro.

My mistake... apologies Lyndon.Still not very good though. Two or three more and we would be four or five points better off. I really want the guy to prove me wrong...but I just don't think he fits our club.
That miss…. on 20:08 - Aug 31 with 1260 viewsdanehoop

That miss…. on 20:01 - Aug 31 by Damo1962

My mistake... apologies Lyndon.Still not very good though. Two or three more and we would be four or five points better off. I really want the guy to prove me wrong...but I just don't think he fits our club.

So that probably explains why you are not a manager

Never knowingly understood

That miss…. on 20:09 - Aug 31 with 1247 viewsDamo1962

That miss…. on 10:17 - Aug 31 by bakerloo8

It's alright missing a few if you're scoring a few.
Problems comes if you're just missing a few.

Is the correct answer.
That miss…. on 20:13 - Aug 31 with 1239 viewsDamo1962

That miss…. on 12:14 - Aug 31 by gazza1

He is not good enough, I doubt very much that he ever will be and making excuse after excuse for him is just covering up for his poor play. Some of the stuff being said 'he is a confidence player' - what player is not a confidence player?, 'he works hard' - & so he should do because that is his job and that is what he gets paid for!!, won a few decent headers - wow a 6' plus player wins headers, that is his ' bread & butter'!! and so on. Unless he scores goals then he is not what we need as our main striker....it is as simple as that. He isn't even working the keeper very often.

I am not knocking him too much about his last 2 performances because I think he did a reasonable job in both matches, but he never scored again. Last nigh, however, he missed the simplest of chances (because of his confidence apparently!!!) that a schoolboy would score and he also failed to attack a nice cross from the left in the 2nd half - he just watched it rather that get on the end of it. His control of the football leaves a lot to be desired as well.

The sooner we get in a player who will score striker/CF goals the better for QPR.

That's all you need to know about him. He can't score even when the rest of the team is playing well. We won't always be three up when he gets a sitter.
That miss…. on 20:17 - Aug 31 with 1229 viewsDamo1962

That miss…. on 15:39 - Aug 31 by ManinBlack

Very good point. Maybe we need to attack the Loft first half, if we get the chance. Worth a try?
That miss…. on 20:19 - Aug 31 with 1220 viewsDamo1962

That miss…. on 15:59 - Aug 31 by Rs_Holy

yep Roberts looked a bit dis-interested last night... fingers crossed just a one off?

Too early to judge. Give him as much time as we have Dykes, and hopefully he will produce.
That miss…. on 20:23 - Aug 31 with 1203 viewsDamo1962

That miss…. on 20:08 - Aug 31 by danehoop

So that probably explains why you are not a manager

Yeah, and probably explains why you are a sanctimonious bore. Another on the ignore list...which is growing. Suggest you do the same.
That miss…. on 21:26 - Aug 31 with 1131 viewscolinallcars

We had a rare report in the Times this morning. It said Lyndon Dykes could, and perhaps should, have made it 4-0. I think the word ‘perhaps’ was a little extraneous there.
That said, he had a pretty decent game I felt.
That miss…. on 22:27 - Aug 31 with 1045 viewsdavman

I have been clear from day one on my thoughts on Dykes; he scored pens and not a lot else during that first few games, so the warning signs were there.

HOWEVER, he is all we have at the moment and until that changes, I'll back him at the ground. The miss was epically Dykes and last night it didn't really matter, but up to that point I think he was doing alright. The problem with replacing him with Willock or Roberts is that we'd be easy to defend against as every time our wide players got to the line, they would pull it back to the edge of the area. Dykes may be woeful at attacking the ball (he is - given a free header he is OK, but he just doesn't challenge in the six yard box), but he is there, which mean that the defenders have to go with him.

So, when he loses the header, there is a chance it will fall to our more reliable players on the edge of the box.

So, I know what to expect with him (VERY low expectations), but I'll continue to support him at the ground.

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

That miss…. on 22:31 - Aug 31 with 1040 viewsM40R

It was indeed a crazy miss but the linesman raised his flag and I think the ref pointed for a free kick. Not that it was offside of course.
That miss…. on 23:59 - Aug 31 with 947 viewsBurnleyhoop

That miss…. on 13:32 - Aug 31 by TramoreRanger

Amazing isn't it that despite a cracking display last night and a comfortable 3-1 win the thing that's being spoken about most of all is Dykes miss........ Yes it was a shocker, but it happens.......

Seem to recall a few seasons ago when we destroyed Cardiff 6-1, instead of talking about the wonderful football we played the hotest topic was Lumley's balls up with the last kick of the game to allow them to score..... seems negativity is highlighted and all the good things fade into oblivion....... as fans we do seem to like a scapegoat and to kick someone when they are down....... Apart from that miss I thought Dykes had a good game and his workrate allowed Willock & Chair to play further forward......

Lets enjoy the way we played last night especially 1st half

Up The R's

With Dykes…..it happens a lot.

What I would like to see from him is some awareness and anticipation. Take the Willock goal at Watford. Laird is bombing down the wing and cuts the ball back four yards to Willock who must have followed him at pace and anticipated the cut back. When do you ever see Dykes anticipating anything?

We now possess two great full backs that will provide bundles of opportunities for the forward players. Dykes needs to get on a wavelength and start attacking the near post, or back post or whatever the hell they work on in training.

There will no longer be excuses for lack of service as he will get plenty of opportunities with the way this team is set up. He needs to stop feeling sorry for himself, get his head in the right place and start banging a few in.

Don’t sulk, get angry.
That miss…. on 08:13 - Sep 1 with 823 viewsMalintabuk

That miss…. on 16:39 - Aug 31 by Match82

"The lad is willing and does a lot of graft but he is in the team to score goals"

Is he? It's one of his jobs, sure, but he's more Emile Heskey than Michael Owen. He's not a traditional out and out striker where they just have to stick the ball in the back of the net, and yesterday he does the other parts of his job well.

Now granted that isn't always been the case. It IS still a part of his job to score and he has been under delivering there. And he HAS had several games in the last 6 months where the other aspects of his game haven't been where they need to either.

On balance I don't think he's done enough in the last 6-9 months for us to justify his place, but I don't think it's fair to reduce his contribution to just whether he scores goals or not, and I think overall yesterday he had a good game. Awful miss though.

A strange comparison that to be honest. As you pointed out he was with Owen at Liverpool, Claridge at Leicester and with England he was always with a strike partner
We don't play 2 up front, perhaps if we did as with Austin, Dykes may fare better..... but we don't
So as the lone striker he does have various roles agreed but he is in there to also score goals and he doesn't
The primary role of a striker is goals..... with Heskey there was an exception as with other strike partnerships, rarely would you have 2 strikers who are both prolific in the same team
As said not knocking his work rate or desire...... but he really needs to score
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024