Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
MOTD Highlights are a joke 23:55 - Sep 15 with 15255 viewsRanger78

I can no longer stomach watching MOTD.

For so many years playing non Prem League, we have had nothing to compare against but now we are at the games, the MOTD highlights stand out as being so poor!

They are also so biased towards the big teams its embarrassing

MOTD Highlights are a joke on 01:17 - Sep 16 with 2143 viewsJoolzz

MOTD Highlights are a joke on 01:03 - Sep 16 by robfacey

Without listing who EVERY body on the show works for - I can confirm that the editor of the show supports a team from the North of England. Who play in the Championship. But yes, there are Chelsea fans, there are Liverpool fans, there are Spurs fans, there are United fans, there are Crewe fans, there are Shrews fans...

So sadly the whole show being a massive pro Chelsea propaganda tool just is not true.

What and how match action goes into the edits depends on many things and without going into it and boring you all to death time is the biggest constraint. I'm sure you can all agree that a penalty shout is more noteworthy than a lovely flowing move that results in a throw in, say. So when time is tight, which it always is on MOTD, then obviously something has to give.

Like I said, the whole Lineker/pundit thing is out of our hands from the production side of things but we know that they are not everyone's cup of tea.

All I'm saying is when it comes to criticism - which is fine, by the way - the edits/VTs and the chat in the studio are two different things.

I'm sure you can all agree that a penalty shout is more noteworthy than a lovely flowing move that results in a throw in, say. So when time is tight, which it always is on MOTD, then obviously something has to give.

is it an editor or a pundit that decides on that highlights to show?

MOTD Highlights are a joke on 01:20 - Sep 16 with 2143 viewseastside_r

Glad to be corrected about the affiliation of the MOTD editor. I was listening to Radio5 on the way back from the Stoke game last season and they do this thing with the MOTD studio and Hansen confirmed that the MOTD editor was a C****** fan.

If that’s not the case then good, then why are that lot favoured ?

Why is Hansen saying this if it’s not true?
MOTD Highlights are a joke on 01:25 - Sep 16 with 2132 viewsRanger78

Without listing who EVERY body on the show works for - I can confirm that the editor of the show supports a team from the North of England. Who play in the Championship. But yes, there are Chelsea fans, there are Liverpool fans, there are Spurs fans, there are United fans, there are Crewe fans, there are Shrews fans...

So sadly the whole show being a massive pro Chelsea propaganda tool just is not true.

What and how match action goes into the edits depends on many things and without going into it and boring you all to death time is the biggest constraint. I'm sure you can all agree that a penalty shout is more noteworthy than a lovely flowing move that results in a throw in, say. So when time is tight, which it always is on MOTD, then obviously something has to give.

Like I said, the whole Lineker/pundit thing is out of our hands from the production side of things but we know that they are not everyone's cup of tea.

All I'm saying is when it comes to criticism - which is fine, by the way - the edits/VTs and the chat in the studio are two different things.

Rob

What about the 2 possible Chelsea sending offs. These could have been game changing moments. I'd love to know why that kind if thing is not even shown ir considered worthy of discussion?
MOTD Highlights are a joke on 01:53 - Sep 16 with 2106 viewsjo_qpr63

They could of made more of julio cesa debute and the fantastic saves he made to keep it 0-0. Considering he was one of the worlds best keepers and now playing in the prem.I still love the fact we re back on motd and not football league show.
MOTD Highlights are a joke on 02:16 - Sep 16 with 2094 viewsPommyhoop

Good thread.!!
MOTD used to be one of the things I missed about living back in the Motherland.(Up there with real Walls sausages and 'pea souper 'fogs). Looks like I aint missing nothing and am indeed 'living the dream'.!
p.s.. I'd bet you my years salary that tomorrow nights Fox sport Prem highlight show will cover both red card shouts...

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

MOTD Highlights are a joke on 03:28 - Sep 16 with 2085 viewsHanwellHoop

Feck MOTD. Those that were there know the score. ( 0 - 0 but that's not the point ....but it was ......anyway )
MOTD Highlights are a joke on 06:16 - Sep 16 with 2067 viewsBklynRanger

MOTD Highlights are a joke on 02:16 - Sep 16 by Pommyhoop

Good thread.!!
MOTD used to be one of the things I missed about living back in the Motherland.(Up there with real Walls sausages and 'pea souper 'fogs). Looks like I aint missing nothing and am indeed 'living the dream'.!
p.s.. I'd bet you my years salary that tomorrow nights Fox sport Prem highlight show will cover both red card shouts...

I'll have a piece of that action - the FSC coverage is as gash as anything else, with the only saving grace being not having to watch the progressive ravages of retired alcoholism on the faces of the ex pros.

Completely true as a couple have mentioned though - appreciate the MOTD bloke coming on, but how hard is it to show 15 seconds of a skillful player, or 7 seconds of a yellow followed by a should've-been-red-type-talking-point....?

Not as if I've thought of these ideas - happens all the time for some clubs.
MOTD Highlights are a joke on 07:52 - Sep 16 with 2035 viewscollegeranger

Sky Red Button is not much better both from an editing point of view and punditary!

EG: No replay of Zamora thru on goal and and trying to round Cech. However, multiple replays of racist scumbag pulling up with a tweak - but great to hear "let him die" and rangers fans reaction.

Pundit is Dave Bassett who has just said "i was at the game and thought it was a very poor game" WTF!!! I guess he never appreciated ball on the floor and dominating footballing midfielders!

Interesting to see editing and comments on Goals on Sunday later!

Login to get fewer ads

MOTD Highlights are a joke on 08:16 - Sep 16 with 2017 viewssexton

Hard to understand why MOTD wasted the few precious second we were granted showing Park's cross-field ball into touch.
MOTD Highlights are a joke on 08:34 - Sep 16 with 1999 viewsHAYESBOY

The covering on yesterdays game by motd was poor.

Another issue i have is with the stats on the BBC football site.

Every other web site reports us as having more possession than Chelscum and more passes with chances being even,

Yet BBC stats say Chelscum had more possession amd more chances on goal.

Who does there stats and was there seat pointing at the pitch?

Smells like a trout farm in here

MOTD Highlights are a joke on 08:39 - Sep 16 with 1993 viewsSudbury_Hill_R

Very rarely watch MOTD as very long winded and tiresome.

For those of you that want a two minute look at the action download the free ESPN Goals App.

Most games are normally available within an hour of the final whistle.

MOTD Highlights are a joke on 09:19 - Sep 16 with 1954 viewsTheBlob

MOTD Highlights are a joke on 00:22 - Sep 16 by robfacey

Hi folks.

Just wanted to throw in my tuppence... I work for MOTD and often have the honour of editing our games. (I've done the Norwich and Man City games this season if you are interested).

So HOPEFULLY that will kill the myth that everyone at the Beeb/MOTD hates us and edits the games so we look terrible etc etc etc etc.

Now, I didn't do today's game, but I can assure with that there is/was ever a bias to make us look shit/other teams look good because - quite frankly - why on earth would we want to do that?

In terms of what Gary & whoever is in the studio talk about - that is their view. Separate people watch the games with them and help them with their analysis but once again I can confirm that we don't all sit about and decide to gang up on a player/team as a collective.

Understand frustrations of course and happy to answer some Qs - but just wanted to point out that everyone on the show loves their football and, whilst obviously supporting different teams, are all professionals and don't actively set about to shaft clubs/supporters.

Cheers

Rob (@robfacey if you want to abuse me on twitter)

Get Lineker to brush up on his autocue "skills" would you?Stumbled over the Hillsborough lament and completely defused the sentiment.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

MOTD Highlights are a joke on 09:21 - Sep 16 with 1954 viewsNW5Hoop

This thread comes across like a bunch of paranoids.

The big teams tend to go up higher in the programme because they are competing for honours, and they have more fans. More people want to watch them. That's news values - you put your big stories up at the top. It changes later in the season when relegation battles start to get high placings in the running order.

Our game was second last yesterday because it was a 0-0 draw. We all enjoyed it, because we played well, but all the Chelsea fans I know thought it was deathly dull. There were very few good chances, and the biggest talking points were the Chelsea penalty shouts, if we're all honest. Granero and Faurlin were magnificent, but creating space and playing a sideways pass isn't the kind of highlight to get the rest of the world excited.

All football fans think the media conspires against their club. That is one incredible conspiracy, that manages to discriminate against every club.
MOTD Highlights are a joke on 09:35 - Sep 16 with 1940 viewshamptonhillhoop

MOTD Highlights are a joke on 00:36 - Sep 16 by robfacey

Just to clarify the "help with analysis" point... To use an example, say Shearer wanted to talk about Bale in a Spurs game, then at HT & FT he would give us a heads up, I'd go and clip up various bits that Shearer or whoever wanted - a cross, a tackle, goal, whatever.

Different people do the match edits and do the analysis... that's what I mean. Obviously they are all pros and know the game.

Cheers for the clarification
MOTD Highlights are a joke on 10:14 - Sep 16 with 1912 viewsDesertBoot

The SSN app was laughable too. In the news section the game was described as a "damp squib".
I guess every 0-0 is that right?

Wish I could be like David Watts

MOTD Highlights are a joke on 10:19 - Sep 16 with 1772 viewsNeil_SI

Rob —
The problem with the MOTD highlights is that they do not reflect the ebb and flow or the personality of the matches. This doesn't just relate to QPR, I've seen this recurring theme in many different matches I've been to, non-QPR too.

It's a real problem for MOTD now. What used to be an excellent programme that really was on the ball, for the want of a better word, is now very distant from that because of the way the highlights are cut and put together. It's pretty poor. Not from a technical point of view, but from a reportage one.

I think it's a crying shame, but quite often you look at those highlights and you just feel that what's presented was not representative of what *really* happened. This is a mixture of what is edited and shown, what isn't, to even the audio clips used.

I've been to matches with a raucous atmosphere from the home side, but only the audio used from the away end, completely distorting the reality of what the atmosphere was like at certain points in time.

Hope this feedback helps. It's really got to the point over the past few years that I can barely bring myself to watch MOTD anymore and that's a real shame. I only watch it now for factual "goals" and not to get an impression on who played well, or what happened in the match, etc.

There has been many a discussion on here about it over the last year or so. My feeling is the people cutting and putting clips together do not really understand football well enough, or have not been going to enough live matches to really understand the value of what they're putting in or not putting in.

I think one of the key things it lacks is how one side dominates another in terms of possession as they grow in and out of phases. Yesterday QPR built up some good periods of possession where we were clearly on top, or in the second half, for a long, long duration, Chelsea didn't get anywhere near our penalty box. But you could never get that feedback with the way the highlights are done now.

It sadly has a very artificial feel about it.

I also disagree with the balance of the penalty shout versus a lovely flowing move, this is one of the aspects I suppose that relates to personality and research. QPR for example have struggled to get the ball down and play at all this season, but here in this match, we saw the first seeds from defence through to midfield and attack, some cohesion that we've lacked before.

Showing that kind of stuff is reporting on personality, ebb and flow and footballing progress (or lack of progress on the pitch). It is more important for the casual fan to see this than a penalty shout.

There are some penalty shouts that are just not really anything anybody is bothered by. The two penalty appeals were light and lukewarm, nipped in the bud by the referee straight away and not even the players or the fans were too bothered by it.

They were the half hearted attempts by Chelsea to "win a penalty" by playing that kind of game. Had it been a blatant trip when someone was genuinely trying to score or a handball that blocked something that could of been, then of course, it becomes a flash point and an incident worth showing.

Hope this feedback helps and is constructive.
MOTD Highlights are a joke on 10:22 - Sep 16 with 1768 viewsDieByYourSide

watch Football First on Sky!

Poll: And it's hi ho

MOTD Highlights are a joke on 10:40 - Sep 16 with 1743 viewssexton

I wish they would scrap all the 'coming up' features and just the fcuk on with it.
MOTD Highlights are a joke on 10:44 - Sep 16 with 1736 viewsjonno

My question to Rob would be how the BBC justify Hanson's £40k per programme fee when there are clearly people about who could do the same thing far better and for a lot less money.
MOTD Highlights are a joke on 10:46 - Sep 16 with 1732 viewsJamie

They couldn't give two shits about the 'personality' of the game, they just want things people can huddle round the water cooler and discuss on Monday morning.

Football First exists for genuine football fans, ESPN Goals provides a better service than MOTD quicker, for free and with the added benefit of no Linekar, Shearer or Hansen half heartedly 'analysing' what we've already seen.
MOTD Highlights are a joke on 11:53 - Sep 16 with 1666 viewsLewes_r

MOTD Highlights are a joke on 10:19 - Sep 16 by Neil_SI

Rob —
The problem with the MOTD highlights is that they do not reflect the ebb and flow or the personality of the matches. This doesn't just relate to QPR, I've seen this recurring theme in many different matches I've been to, non-QPR too.

It's a real problem for MOTD now. What used to be an excellent programme that really was on the ball, for the want of a better word, is now very distant from that because of the way the highlights are cut and put together. It's pretty poor. Not from a technical point of view, but from a reportage one.

I think it's a crying shame, but quite often you look at those highlights and you just feel that what's presented was not representative of what *really* happened. This is a mixture of what is edited and shown, what isn't, to even the audio clips used.

I've been to matches with a raucous atmosphere from the home side, but only the audio used from the away end, completely distorting the reality of what the atmosphere was like at certain points in time.

Hope this feedback helps. It's really got to the point over the past few years that I can barely bring myself to watch MOTD anymore and that's a real shame. I only watch it now for factual "goals" and not to get an impression on who played well, or what happened in the match, etc.

There has been many a discussion on here about it over the last year or so. My feeling is the people cutting and putting clips together do not really understand football well enough, or have not been going to enough live matches to really understand the value of what they're putting in or not putting in.

I think one of the key things it lacks is how one side dominates another in terms of possession as they grow in and out of phases. Yesterday QPR built up some good periods of possession where we were clearly on top, or in the second half, for a long, long duration, Chelsea didn't get anywhere near our penalty box. But you could never get that feedback with the way the highlights are done now.

It sadly has a very artificial feel about it.

I also disagree with the balance of the penalty shout versus a lovely flowing move, this is one of the aspects I suppose that relates to personality and research. QPR for example have struggled to get the ball down and play at all this season, but here in this match, we saw the first seeds from defence through to midfield and attack, some cohesion that we've lacked before.

Showing that kind of stuff is reporting on personality, ebb and flow and footballing progress (or lack of progress on the pitch). It is more important for the casual fan to see this than a penalty shout.

There are some penalty shouts that are just not really anything anybody is bothered by. The two penalty appeals were light and lukewarm, nipped in the bud by the referee straight away and not even the players or the fans were too bothered by it.

They were the half hearted attempts by Chelsea to "win a penalty" by playing that kind of game. Had it been a blatant trip when someone was genuinely trying to score or a handball that blocked something that could of been, then of course, it becomes a flash point and an incident worth showing.

Hope this feedback helps and is constructive.

Bang on Neil

Unfortunately the dreaded stats have replaced actual reality when it comes to possession and ebb and flow

They will just show a few shots a couple of penalty shouts and maybe a hand shake and a bad tackle.. They will then bang on a lovely little stat like chelsea 51% possession qpr 49% - move along nothing more to see here.

Poll: Who do we want down with us and Burnley?

MOTD Highlights are a joke on 12:23 - Sep 16 with 1630 viewsRoller

MOTD Highlights are a joke on 10:46 - Sep 16 by Jamie

They couldn't give two shits about the 'personality' of the game, they just want things people can huddle round the water cooler and discuss on Monday morning.

Football First exists for genuine football fans, ESPN Goals provides a better service than MOTD quicker, for free and with the added benefit of no Linekar, Shearer or Hansen half heartedly 'analysing' what we've already seen.

I didn't see MOTD, only watched Football First. If you guys think that Hansen and Co are bad, what do you make of Dave Bassett? He couldn’t analysis two flies walking up a wall. He is truly appalling. Can Sky really not find someone with anything interesting or even relevant to say?

On the plus side I thought that Tony Gale co-commentated in a fair and balanced way, and showed that he had some appreciation of modern day football.
MOTD Highlights are a joke on 12:35 - Sep 16 with 1620 viewsdaveB

i'd like to have seen the Bertrabnt two footed lunge again, looked a clear red at the time but seen or read nothing about it since
MOTD Highlights are a joke on 13:00 - Sep 16 with 1603 viewsnadera78

MOTD Highlights are a joke on 10:46 - Sep 16 by Jamie

That's the thing, all they want to do is show the goals and a couple of 'incidents' and then move on. It's not a programme made for football supporters, it's for the armchair crowd who get all of their footballing knowledge from reading the Sun on a monday morning.

Mind you, IIRC in the old days you'd get highlights from 2 or 3 games and just the goals from the other matches. That wasn't much better really.
MOTD Highlights are a joke on 13:04 - Sep 16 with 1598 viewsMonahoop

MOTD Highlights are a joke on 00:39 - Sep 16 by Juzzie

Rob, there may not be a bias to makes us (or anyone) look shit but I know I'll be going into work on Monday with people telling me we were lucky, Chelsea should have had 2 penalties etc etc. No mention on MoTD of how good Granero/Faurlin were, no mention that Ramires and Bertrand should have been sent off etc etc so I'm going to have to explain all this to put straight what people believe when they watch MoTD.

It was the same after our game up at Man City in May. No credit whatsoever that if it wasn't for US, there would never have been that amazing finalé. All they did was go on and on about Barton's sending off. Yes, it warranted discussion because it was so bad but you have to offset that with the good the the rest of the QPR players brought to the game that day.

My tuppence worth: get rid of Hansen, Shearer, Lawrenson. No one gives a monkeys what they think. Save the huge salaries that they don't deserve and use the huge amount of dead air-time while they waffle on and replace it with more footage from the games.

I don't need it explaining to me what I have just seen on the highlights, thank you very much.

edit: appreciate you coming on here :o)

[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

The trouble with football programmes today and not just MOTD, but on all channels, is that the viewer has to endure ' professional analysis' from former players. Many are hopeless and only offer their own contrite opinions or try to stir up some kind of an argument which quite frankly most football fans couldn't give two hoots about. Yes they do take up a lot of time and I agree more time should be spared to showing more highlights or extending them.

Going back in time and for those on here who can remember, I think we can thank dear old Jimmy 'the Chin' Hill for all this analytical clap trap. He first and foremost introduced this concept of adding bullsh*t analysis on games and the way it should be played. MOTD pre Hill just showed two games with about 20 minute highlights dedicated to both games. Now that in itself had its flaws especially if one of those games, say Birmingham v Coventry slogged out a tedious 0-0 draw and was played out on a Somme style pitch. It didn't warrant great watching and left the viewer cursing as to why that particular game was shown. But at least at the end of it all we didn't have to listen to long winded opinions, facts and statistics.

MOTD is stale and lazy, but I would prefer it to Irelands equivalent, Premier Soccer Saturday where the presenters are 900 years old and only about 2 minutes of highlights are shown [ 10 minutes if its Man Utd or Liverpool ] of each game and the rest of the programme is made up of total waste of time opinions and waffle.

Show the games.Cut out the often mind numbing chat and analysis.

There aint half been some clever bastards.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024