Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Stuart pearce 23:01 - Feb 23 with 5945 viewssheppetonrs

Just watched his press conference on BBC, have to say I have a lot o time for the bloke. I understand he may not be everyone's cup of tea, But he is better than the previous clown. I always respected him as a player and anybody that omitts fat fW@NK from the squad gets my vote.
Stuart pearce on 15:00 - Feb 24 with 1157 viewstommyg01

Did my City & Guilds Electrical Installation parts A,B and C with Stuart at Willesden Technical College in late 70's early 80's. Despite playing football for Wealdstone FC and travelling up and down the county playing regularly for them he was very down to earth and just one of the lads. He might have liked the Sex Pistols, but he loved the Stranglers and was also very fond of the Lurkers from West London (he is on an inner sleeve photo from one of their albums).

At the time he was torn between his love for Everton FC (he thought Bob Latchford was the biz) and QPR, and was really gutted when the move to QPR didn't work out, as was I. He travelled up to see Jim Smith at Hull with a possible move from Wealdstone and said they put him up in supposedly the best hotel in town. He liked Jim Smith but hated the hotel and the town (who can blame him).

Then out of the blue he had signed for Coventry and I lost touch for a while, but he was lonely there and use to phone when back in London to meet up for a drink. We lost touch once he went to Forest and his career was really taking off then. A top bloke and I thought a brilliant player, but I agree he probably wouldn't want or cope too well with all that goes with the full England job.

As a footnote.

Even when at Coventry he still helped his brother out with his electrical jobs, and one of my Dads greatest memories is when Stuart and his then fiancee (now wife) turned up at my parents house dropping off some electrical equipment I had ordered from his brother. 2 hours later after several cups of tea and cakes, they finally managed to escape, I can't tell you how many people my old man told that story too.

Tom
Stuart pearce on 15:05 - Feb 24 with 1150 viewsJamie

Thought he handled the racism questions from the media desperate to fill column inches perfectly.

'I said something ignorant and apologized to everyone involved at the time. It was a different time then and we've all moved on'...
Stuart pearce on 15:48 - Feb 24 with 1139 viewsBluce_Ree

Pearce will fail. Guaranteed. I like him and all but he's not manager material at all.

Stefan Moore, Stefan Moore running down the wing. Stefan Moore, Stefan Moore running down the wing. He runs like a cheetah, his crosses couldn't be sweeter. Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore.

Stuart pearce on 15:55 - Feb 24 with 1132 viewssheppetonrs

Stuart pearce on 15:48 - Feb 24 by Bluce_Ree

Pearce will fail. Guaranteed. I like him and all but he's not manager material at all.

Just like pretty much every other manager since Robson then?
Stuart pearce on 16:33 - Feb 24 with 1130 viewsAntti_Heinola

Stuart pearce on 12:56 - Feb 24 by sheppetonrs

Like it or not mate, passion plays a massive role in the English game. I was reluctant to bring it up, cos I agree passion is overrated, but fact is we are tactically nowhere near the best teams in the world, but have occasionally competed successfully through sheer guts and determination, ie 1990 in Italy. I am not saying Pearce should get the job, I accept what you say about the last u21 tournament, but I still think many English managers would have done a better job than Capello.

Capello's had the best win percentage since Ramsey. So not sure anyone else would have done much better.

I wonder how old you are, re: 1990. Because passion had very little to do with our success there:
Rep of Ireland - we were awful
Holland - OK, dull game - little passion
Egypt - dull game, narrow win
Belgium - outplayed, only won because of superb goal, not passion
Cameroon - Extremely fortunate, should have lost
Germany - played well - but this was because for practically the only time in the last 30 years we had technically a great first XI, quite European in outlook:

A strong back 5, with Mark Wright in a kind of free role. Then our midfield three was: Waddle, Gazza, Platt. No bloody holding midfielder, just three technically proficient, attacking, skilful players. Then Beardo - another excellent ball player and Lineker - one of the best in the world. Bobby Robson did have passion for football, but that wasn't why we did well - we did well because we had technically good players who Robson belatedly fitted into a decent system that worked. Again - if you want passion, look at Keegan. Passion just isn't enough and besides the idea that somehow we English are more 'passionate' about football than other nations is a really outdated view with no real basis in fact. Croatia in 1998 - now THERE was passion.

Bare bones.

Stuart pearce on 17:04 - Feb 24 with 1119 viewssheppetonrs

Stuart pearce on 16:33 - Feb 24 by Antti_Heinola

Capello's had the best win percentage since Ramsey. So not sure anyone else would have done much better.

I wonder how old you are, re: 1990. Because passion had very little to do with our success there:
Rep of Ireland - we were awful
Holland - OK, dull game - little passion
Egypt - dull game, narrow win
Belgium - outplayed, only won because of superb goal, not passion
Cameroon - Extremely fortunate, should have lost
Germany - played well - but this was because for practically the only time in the last 30 years we had technically a great first XI, quite European in outlook:

A strong back 5, with Mark Wright in a kind of free role. Then our midfield three was: Waddle, Gazza, Platt. No bloody holding midfielder, just three technically proficient, attacking, skilful players. Then Beardo - another excellent ball player and Lineker - one of the best in the world. Bobby Robson did have passion for football, but that wasn't why we did well - we did well because we had technically good players who Robson belatedly fitted into a decent system that worked. Again - if you want passion, look at Keegan. Passion just isn't enough and besides the idea that somehow we English are more 'passionate' about football than other nations is a really outdated view with no real basis in fact. Croatia in 1998 - now THERE was passion.

I was 13 in 1990. I do take your point, I already said keegan was bloody useless. Passion alone will get you nowhere. All I am saying is that passion should be a pre-requisite, and I just think an English manager could tap into that side of the game better than a foreigner who can barely speak English. As for capello's record, well when it counted ie the world cup, his was shocking.
Stuart pearce on 17:21 - Feb 24 with 1114 viewsAntti_Heinola

Stuart pearce on 17:04 - Feb 24 by sheppetonrs

I was 13 in 1990. I do take your point, I already said keegan was bloody useless. Passion alone will get you nowhere. All I am saying is that passion should be a pre-requisite, and I just think an English manager could tap into that side of the game better than a foreigner who can barely speak English. As for capello's record, well when it counted ie the world cup, his was shocking.

Fair do's mate. We were shocking, but a few weeks before that people had anointed Capello the best thing ever and, to be fair, qualification for this tournament was fairly trouble free too - unlike with the last English manager who tried it. I suspect drumming up passion in that squad last world cup (which I think Capello made many mistakes with - the whole goalkeeping farce, for example) may have been virtually impossible.

Bare bones.

Stuart pearce on 20:59 - Feb 24 with 1105 viewsHayesender

Bumped into Pearce (literally) at a stiff little fingers gig at the forum a couple of years ago.

Gave him the old "you r's" and he gave me the thumbs up.

Down to earth lad done good. He'll do for me

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Login to get fewer ads

Stuart pearce on 21:30 - Feb 24 with 1099 viewssheppetonrs

Stuart pearce on 17:21 - Feb 24 by Antti_Heinola

Fair do's mate. We were shocking, but a few weeks before that people had anointed Capello the best thing ever and, to be fair, qualification for this tournament was fairly trouble free too - unlike with the last English manager who tried it. I suspect drumming up passion in that squad last world cup (which I think Capello made many mistakes with - the whole goalkeeping farce, for example) may have been virtually impossible.

To be fair, pretty much all of us were behind Capello before the wc, based on how well we did in quals. I can't argue against that. Mclaren was a tos$er of the highest order, all be it an English tos$er. I still believe though, that our last 2 foreign managers have rarely looked beyond the 'big 4' in the pl, which for me highlights their lack of in depth knowledge of the English game.
Stuart pearce on 21:46 - Feb 24 with 1095 viewsTGRRRSSS

Disagree Errikkson picked more different players than Keegan for example.

Capello less so, but the general consideration is Champs League is helpful for INternational.
Big 4 - Big 3 plus Spurs more likely as Arsenal have only just started having English based players again since 2010 arguably (Walcott aside)
Stuart pearce on 21:58 - Feb 24 with 1094 viewsSpaghetti_Hoops

It's a professional sport. This passion thing is ridiculous.

If you are a McEnroe or a Stuart Pearce and feel the need to explode or wear your heart on your sleeve to get the best out of yourself so be it. Bjorn Borg, Bobby Charlton and the vast majority of top sportsmen just get their heads down and concentrate. Personally I prefer a manager who uses his time sensibly thinking about every aspect of the game rather than rushing up and down mouthing off and kicking water bottles. But everyone to their own.
Stuart pearce on 22:54 - Feb 24 with 1084 viewssheppetonrs

Stuart pearce on 21:58 - Feb 24 by Spaghetti_Hoops

It's a professional sport. This passion thing is ridiculous.

If you are a McEnroe or a Stuart Pearce and feel the need to explode or wear your heart on your sleeve to get the best out of yourself so be it. Bjorn Borg, Bobby Charlton and the vast majority of top sportsmen just get their heads down and concentrate. Personally I prefer a manager who uses his time sensibly thinking about every aspect of the game rather than rushing up and down mouthing off and kicking water bottles. But everyone to their own.

I'm not disagreeing with any of that. But being passionate does not have to be about running round like a headless chicken. I know they are professional, but they are also human, and I do think in the past the England shirt has been taken for granted by a few players. I would just be happier with a good, whole hearted, English manager in there who would give his heart and soul. Not saying it makes him a better manager, but it would make me feel proud to be English, whether we win or lose.
Stuart pearce on 00:08 - Feb 25 with 1074 viewsTGRRRSSS

I'll bet Scott Parker would be passionate but professional as well.

Also though many don't like him I'd say that generally speaking (and yes I may get pilloried for this) I've always felt Ashley Cole has worked hard for England - ithers may not have but I think he gets labelled unfairly when it comes to pulling their weight at the toip table, he actually is good enough.
Stuart pearce on 01:50 - Feb 25 with 1069 viewsBluce_Ree

Stuart pearce on 15:55 - Feb 24 by sheppetonrs

Just like pretty much every other manager since Robson then?

Er... I guess?

Stefan Moore, Stefan Moore running down the wing. Stefan Moore, Stefan Moore running down the wing. He runs like a cheetah, his crosses couldn't be sweeter. Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024