Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Berlin 09:45 - Sep 17 with 1914 viewsSuperhoops2808

A week on Sunday, Mrs Superhoops is running the Berlin marathon. Don't worry this is not a sponsorship request, you guys were brilliant when she did the London earlier in the year.

What I do want however are some tips around Berlin. Never been and don't have a clue about the city. We are staying in a hotel in Alexanderplatz. Mrs Superhoops travel is free all weekend and I have purchased a 5 day pass. We are flying into the main airport from City Airport.

After that I don't have a clue.

Places to eat, things to see while we are there would be really welcome please. Pubs etc are pretty useless until at least Sunday night so wouldn't worry about them either sadly.

Any help, tips etc would be much appreciated please.
[Post edited 17 Sep 9:46]
Berlin on 10:11 - Sep 17 with 1830 viewsLandshark

I've been many many times to Berlin, unfortunately I don't really have any proper recommendations apart from just walk around and see the sights, eat a döner (pronounced dooner, not dona) kebab and also get a currywurst.

Döner and currywurst are both said to originate in Berlin. The most famous places you can try are Mustafa's Gemüse Kebap https://maps.app.goo.gl/fyCDLfncVPxGizYi6 (likely to wait up to an hour) and Curry 36 https://maps.app.goo.gl/72h8UBfjgPajpSsdA which are dotted around Berlin but there is also one next to Mustafa's so you could kill two birds with one stone there.
Berlin on 10:53 - Sep 17 with 1761 viewsdsw2509

Have been a few times (also before the wall came down).

The Pergamon Museum is a must see.

If you can spare a whole day take the S Bahn to Potsdam and visit Sans Soucci. There is a frequent shuttle bus from Potsdam Hbf (main station).

Prenzlauer Berg area for the hipster bars.

If you can manage to book it, the dome above the Reichstag (parliament building).

Ed found a really fun bar near Friedrichstrasse station that had a trading room vibe. The beer prices kept changing and every so often there would be a ‘market crash’ with all beers about 2/3 off. Brilliant.

Enjoy!
Berlin on 10:54 - Sep 17 with 1760 viewssixnil

Love Berlin and have done the marathon.
If you want to know the history then go to the Berlin Story Bunker near Anhalter station, just down the road from Potsdamer Platz. It's a lot of reading, but is very informative. That will give you enough information to plan a walk around the city to see the key sights
e.g. Brandenburg Gate, Reichstag, Fuhrer Bunker, Topography of Terror, Jewish Memorial, Berlin Wall, Checkpoint Charlie etc. There's also Sachenhausen camp outside the city.
Food: the kebabs, Currywurst and Frittes are great and there are loads of street vendors for this.
If you want a beer hall, then the Hof Brau haus, close to Alexander Platz, is good for large beers, sing alongs and a mad amount of food (mainly Pork)
Underground is easy, as are local trains.
Berlin on 11:09 - Sep 17 with 1711 viewsrobith

I ate here about 5 times when I was there last

https://www.konnopke-imbiss.de/en

Might not quite be the weather for it, but I love Prater Garten, a giant beer garden in Prenzlauer Berg

The Stasi museum is unbelivably interesting, a bit out of the way and not hugely English friendly (at least when I went) but it's really well done - much better than the
Ostalgie DDR museum which is best avoided imo
Berlin on 11:58 - Sep 17 with 1588 viewsQPR_Hibs

We booked a "free" walking tour for the first morning - you tip the guide some Euro at the end of the tour. I can't remember the exact company we used but there are a few to choose from if you Google it.
The walking tour was very interesting and it also allowed us to spot places worth going back to later in the trip.
As mentioned before, try to pre-book a visit to the Reichstag building, which is free (I think) but extremely popular.
We actually really enjoyed the DDR museum (sorry Robith) but there are loads of other interesting museums too. It is an easy city to walk around.

"Remember to listen to me but look at her. Don't get it the wrong way round. That would be hideous."

Berlin on 12:15 - Sep 17 with 1552 viewsPlanetHonneywood

The Berlin marathon is a great marathon to run, I'm sure she'll love it whether its her first or umpteenth race.

I'll just add the Stasi Museum to the list. Utterly fascinating, and if you can get reading Anna Funder's book, 'Stasiland', you'll thank me later.

Good luck to your missus!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Berlin on 12:55 - Sep 17 with 1410 viewskensalriser

I love Berlin. A few random things:

The department store KaDeWe is great for old school 70s/80s aesthetics.

Museum Island - Nefertiti's Bust is an experience, but the whole complex is a good visit. You can see the very obvious firearm damage on some of the buildings.

Plum cake - pflaumenkuchen is wonderful and it's in season.

Kreuzberg is a good wander.

The wall, what's left of it, is worth seeing.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Berlin on 13:01 - Sep 17 with 1371 viewsT_Block

Breakfast in the Reichstag parliament.Pre-book expensive but worth it.Went about 3weeks ago .Also walk around the park to the rear of the brandenberg gate then have a beer in the hotel on the left in front of it get there about 4.Expensive beer but a view you will remember.
Brie National galleries (Mies van der Rohe) Suprised me in a good way.Plus the TV tower.
Also Museum island in the middle
Login to get fewer ads

Berlin on 13:13 - Sep 17 with 1339 viewsTheChef

Berlin on 11:58 - Sep 17 by QPR_Hibs

We booked a "free" walking tour for the first morning - you tip the guide some Euro at the end of the tour. I can't remember the exact company we used but there are a few to choose from if you Google it.
The walking tour was very interesting and it also allowed us to spot places worth going back to later in the trip.
As mentioned before, try to pre-book a visit to the Reichstag building, which is free (I think) but extremely popular.
We actually really enjoyed the DDR museum (sorry Robith) but there are loads of other interesting museums too. It is an easy city to walk around.

As an aside we often do walking tours when visiting cities - great way to see them especially if you're short of time. Usually the "free" ones where you tip at the end.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Berlin on 13:20 - Sep 17 with 1331 viewshantssi

Loved Berlin, as mentioned above;
Dome of the Reichstag, we did it at night.
Sachsenhausen, terrible but fascinating, was the “model” camp they all followed as was used by the Soviets until the 50’s I believe.
Olympic stadium
Spandau (you can combine with Olympic stadium)
The further east you go in the city the more stark it gets.
Berlin on 13:21 - Sep 17 with 1328 viewshantssi

Berlin on 10:53 - Sep 17 by dsw2509

Have been a few times (also before the wall came down).

The Pergamon Museum is a must see.

If you can spare a whole day take the S Bahn to Potsdam and visit Sans Soucci. There is a frequent shuttle bus from Potsdam Hbf (main station).

Prenzlauer Berg area for the hipster bars.

If you can manage to book it, the dome above the Reichstag (parliament building).

Ed found a really fun bar near Friedrichstrasse station that had a trading room vibe. The beer prices kept changing and every so often there would be a ‘market crash’ with all beers about 2/3 off. Brilliant.

Enjoy!

We did that bar, great fun!!
Berlin on 14:56 - Sep 17 with 1213 viewsSuperhoops2808

Berlin on 13:01 - Sep 17 by T_Block

Breakfast in the Reichstag parliament.Pre-book expensive but worth it.Went about 3weeks ago .Also walk around the park to the rear of the brandenberg gate then have a beer in the hotel on the left in front of it get there about 4.Expensive beer but a view you will remember.
Brie National galleries (Mies van der Rohe) Suprised me in a good way.Plus the TV tower.
Also Museum island in the middle

Unsurprisingly, where food is concerned this interests me and as you did it recently, can you give me a bit more info - How long do we book for breakfast, and what time did you go? We will go on the Monday as thats the main full free day we have and would be great to kill 2 birds, see the Reichstag and get fed

Oh and is there a subway stn nearby
Berlin on 15:21 - Sep 17 with 1171 viewsColesIndyRs

I can't argue with most of this but a couple additinal things:

If you want to see the wall, probably avoid Checkpoint Charlie as it is very touristy, instead go for a walk down the East Side Gallery.

I would also avoid the TV tower as it is really expensive. Hit up Panoramapunkt at Potsdamer Platz instead for a fith of the price and it also has the advantage that you can see the TV tower.

I really liked Hackescher Markt which is a short wallk from Alexanderplatz. Loads of nice shops, bars and resturants and generally a cool vibe.

I quite liked the GDR museum too and I regret not going to the Stasi Museum.

Finally make sure you have Citymapper installed on your phone, it makes navigating around Berlin a breeze.
Berlin on 16:21 - Sep 17 with 1069 viewsSuperhoops2808

Berlin on 15:21 - Sep 17 by ColesIndyRs

I can't argue with most of this but a couple additinal things:

If you want to see the wall, probably avoid Checkpoint Charlie as it is very touristy, instead go for a walk down the East Side Gallery.

I would also avoid the TV tower as it is really expensive. Hit up Panoramapunkt at Potsdamer Platz instead for a fith of the price and it also has the advantage that you can see the TV tower.

I really liked Hackescher Markt which is a short wallk from Alexanderplatz. Loads of nice shops, bars and resturants and generally a cool vibe.

I quite liked the GDR museum too and I regret not going to the Stasi Museum.

Finally make sure you have Citymapper installed on your phone, it makes navigating around Berlin a breeze.

'I really liked Hackescher Markt which is a short walk from Alexanderplatz. Loads of nice shops, bars and restaurants and generally a cool vibe.'

That's exactly what I wanted to know, thank you - Also have downloaded the Citymapper app cheers for that too
Berlin on 23:04 - Sep 17 with 884 viewsBerlinR

This one I can definitely contribute to.

For eating, loads of places to eat around Simon Dach Strasse/Boxhagener Platz in Friedrichshein - quite a trendy area. Alternatively Oranienstrasse or the area around Görlitzer Bahnhof in Kreuyberg - trendy but a bit more edgy. For something less trendy-edgy, Savignyplatz (Near the Kurfürstendamm) is very nice. The 12 Apsotles is a really good Italian/pizza place or there is also die dicke Wirtin for more tradiotional German food. The bar near Freidrichstrasse with the 'stock market' (beer prices go up and down according to demand) is the Berliner Republik - just the other side of the river from Friedrichstrasse station.

Plenty of good recommendations for places to visit/see already on the thread. Unfortunately, the Pergamon Museum is currently closed ling term for renovations. The area around Hackischer Markt is great - especially the Häackishe Höfe. The Tränenpalast (free to enter museum in the old passport control hall next to Friedrichstrasse station) is really interesating. The Topographie des Terrors on the old Gestapo HQ site is fascinating but hard going. The Berlin wall menorial at Bernauer Strasse gives a good indication of what the wall was actually like. It is the only place where the full installation )(double wall and death strip in between) is still standing. There is also a good exhibition in the nearby Nordbahnhof station which had one entrance in the east and one in the west when the city was still split. The TV tower on Alexanderplatz is a main tourist attraction but the views over Berlin are actually better from the Reichstag dome if you can get to visit. There's a very impressive Soviet war memorial/war grave at Treptower Park, whcih is a really nice area by the river. The East Side Gallery is pretty cool. There are really interesting flea markets in Boxhangener Platz or in the Mauerpark (near the Bernauer Strasse wall memorial) on Sundays. There is also an interesting local art market on Museums Island (not too far from Alexanderplatz or Friedrichstrasse on Sundays.

The marathon course runs quite near my flat so I quite enjoy watching from the roadside. Hiope Mrs Superhoops has a great run.

Hope this helps a bit.
Berlin on 23:16 - Sep 17 with 860 viewsA40Bosh

Berlin on 10:54 - Sep 17 by sixnil

Love Berlin and have done the marathon.
If you want to know the history then go to the Berlin Story Bunker near Anhalter station, just down the road from Potsdamer Platz. It's a lot of reading, but is very informative. That will give you enough information to plan a walk around the city to see the key sights
e.g. Brandenburg Gate, Reichstag, Fuhrer Bunker, Topography of Terror, Jewish Memorial, Berlin Wall, Checkpoint Charlie etc. There's also Sachenhausen camp outside the city.
Food: the kebabs, Currywurst and Frittes are great and there are loads of street vendors for this.
If you want a beer hall, then the Hof Brau haus, close to Alexander Platz, is good for large beers, sing alongs and a mad amount of food (mainly Pork)
Underground is easy, as are local trains.

Hof Brau gets a huge thumbs up from me.
I think it was the port knuckle I had in there one night - incredible amount of meat - and of course beer to wash it down.

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Berlin on 03:02 - Sep 18 with 659 viewsdixiedean

I ran the Berlin Half in April and stayed just off Alexanderplatz - had a very nice steak after the race in a steakhouse with nice outside terrace serving draught Bitburger Pils . Can’t remember the name of it but very near A’platz . First went to B in 1981 as a student when it was full on East Germany so if the history interests you , the DDR , Stasi, Terror museums are good. KuDamm of course for shopping- the Half course passes KuDamm and I got a shout of “ come on you Rs” from a local which was a pleasant surprise! Is your other half in the QPR Runners group on Facebook? If not, do get her to join us . Quite a few running the Ealing Half in September 29th . Enjoy Berlin- it’s hard not to!
Berlin on 06:40 - Sep 18 with 607 viewsSuperhoops2808

Berlin on 03:02 - Sep 18 by dixiedean

I ran the Berlin Half in April and stayed just off Alexanderplatz - had a very nice steak after the race in a steakhouse with nice outside terrace serving draught Bitburger Pils . Can’t remember the name of it but very near A’platz . First went to B in 1981 as a student when it was full on East Germany so if the history interests you , the DDR , Stasi, Terror museums are good. KuDamm of course for shopping- the Half course passes KuDamm and I got a shout of “ come on you Rs” from a local which was a pleasant surprise! Is your other half in the QPR Runners group on Facebook? If not, do get her to join us . Quite a few running the Ealing Half in September 29th . Enjoy Berlin- it’s hard not to!

Yes mate she is. She did ask in the runners group on FB (Michelle) but didnt get much response so I thought I would ask here.

Ealing half is the same day as Berlin
Berlin on 07:12 - Sep 18 with 590 viewsdixiedean

Ah Michelle. Of course! Hope your she enjoys the race - at least it’s pretty flat!
Berlin on 08:05 - Sep 18 with 541 viewsnix

Some great suggestions. Bloody love Berlin. I'm sure you'll have a great time. Some fantastic museums, art galleries, night life.

One slightly left field thing if you interested in that kind of thing is a burlesque show. I went to one which was amazing, really talented performers and a pre-war basement club vibe. I think it was this one we went to (much better than the Caberet show on in London at half the price).

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/AttractionProductReview-g187323-d21136675-The_Show

One of the few places I've visited where I feel like I only scratched the surface and despite a very busy weekend there were lots of things in this thread that I didn't get to.
Berlin on 08:15 - Sep 18 with 537 viewsvanrrrr

Was just there during Euros. Great City.

For things to do I would really recommend the Stasi museum. Super interesting and kind of mind blowing that sort of State operated in our life times.

Enjoy and good luck for the run
Berlin on 09:02 - Sep 18 with 501 viewsBrianMcCarthy

God, reading this has made me want to go now!

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Berlin on 09:45 - Sep 18 with 431 viewsT_Block

Dear 2808,

Wife booked online before we got there.
About £25-£30 ,but life is short.

Just go to the Reichstag website.Everyone speaks English so it is like booking a restaurant here.
It is both posh and easy going at the same time.I was in shorts and T-shirt.

Hope you like it
Berlin on 10:05 - Sep 18 with 410 viewsRamseyR

Possibly the best city break in Europe

Don't know what your thing is but we really enjoyed

A cycle tour...it's really flat and you can choose Cold war/WW2 or a mixture of both as your theme. Best way to see the city and with a guide
Eat in the Turkish kebab restaurants...Lots are just take aways with a few table and chairs or a full on restaurant...way better than the UK offering...some of the best meals I've ever had and not expensive
The Stasi headquarters - perfectly original
The Stasi prison - guided by the ex prisoners
Classic Remise if you're into old cars ...in the old tram sheds......Got to be £250m of cars here, many being worked on.
And best of all if you're into bikes is the East German Motorcycle Museum a stone's throw from Alexanderplatz...small but perfect. Can be done in an hour.
Checkpoint Charlie is a tourist trap, but worth spending half an hour there

A fabulous city
Berlin on 12:29 - Sep 18 with 276 viewsbermudabob

Two slightly left field suggestions

Driving tour in Trebis was great fun. You drive yourself in a convoy (traffic nothing like London) and you go round the major sites. http://www.trabi-safari.de/index.php?language=en
We are not a big gaming family but this computer museum was good fun https://www.visitberlin.de/en/computerspielemuseum-computer-games-museum
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024