Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
great song writers...... 21:39 - May 27 with 7976 viewsqpr_1968

who would you put in your top whatever song writer list....

plenty of obvious choices..
elton john/bernie taupin...
simon and garfunkel
beatles...etc...

anyone we should know about that outways that mob.
would like to know such...

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

great song writers...... on 11:59 - Jun 2 with 1154 viewsPaddyhoops

1. Morrisey a bit of a nob now but despite the misery he sometimes depicted he was mostly comedic in his prose.
2. Niel Young
3 Joni Mitchell.
great song writers...... on 12:08 - Jun 4 with 1034 viewshubble

Kate Bush is an extraordinary song writer, both lyrically and musically, equal to anyone else mentioned here, IMHO.

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

great song writers...... on 14:31 - Jun 4 with 981 viewsconnell10

George Harrison very underrated.

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

great song writers...... on 14:41 - Jun 4 with 977 viewsnick_hammersmith

Fagan and Becker for Steely Dan consistently wrote perfect songs
great song writers...... on 14:57 - Jun 4 with 945 viewsCroydonCaptJack

great song writers...... on 16:59 - May 28 by Woog

Michael Head
Willy Vlautin
Ian Curtis
Dittos for Nigel Blackwell, Kate Bush

I am glad someone mentioned Ian Curtis.
Such sad lyrics but full of meaning, and clever for such a young man.
great song writers...... on 15:45 - Jun 4 with 866 viewsdmm

great song writers...... on 14:41 - Jun 4 by nick_hammersmith

Fagan and Becker for Steely Dan consistently wrote perfect songs

Hear, hear. I continue to listen to Steely Dan and Fagan's solo albums after all these years. Perfection is what they did.
great song writers...... on 08:29 - Jun 8 with 687 viewsSpaceman_P

Adding to the guy who mentioned Mick Head. Although I am not super keen on his solo work, he wrote some of the best songs of the 80s in Pale Fountains and 90s in Shack.

For me Shack's Waterpistol album is about as perfect a Britpop era LP gets.

I definitely feel Mick Head is a way better writer than Lee Mavers for example, but Lee Mavers wrote one of the all-time best songs ever in There She Goes, as much as everyone complains about Mavers not doing much since, this tune is timeless and is definitely one of the best in UK music from 1957-til now.

for me the guys from Liverpool shat over the guys from Manchester if you get me gist, there's something in the Mersey with alters the consciousness.

Another bloke from the same neck of the woods, who I feel also doesn't get the recognition he deserves is Julian Cope.

The guy knows how to knock out a nice melody and writes songs really well, even his more 80s style over-produced work, had great tunes.

I think he's pretty dynamic too, with off-the-wall weirdo pop like his LP Fried, his really a-typical 80s style indie pop with LP's like My Nation Underground, Saint Julian and World Shut Your Mouth. He then made two epic albums in the 90s - Peggy Suicide and Jehovahkill and has since done a load of really cool outsider style stuff not too mention he was the driving force of 70s group Teardrop Explodes and later Brain Donor which were really different heavy but in a good and fun way.

From the South, I'd also add Robyn Hitchcock, I was talking to a mate recently about him, The guy is a great song-smith but his album output has been hit or miss.

Anyone who likes Hitchcock should check out his lesser-known equal The Cleaners from Venus (Martin Newell) the first 4 CFV albums are DIY pop greatness.

Another songwriter I like is Douglas P (Crisis and Death In June), what I like about Douglas P is since the formation of Death in June in the early 80s, he's more or less just sounded the same and done the same thing. In a way its like the opposite of Cope, there isn't variety but he does his own thing really well. I am always interested by groups that kind of stick with their style of writing and go with it for their whole career easily identifiable groups in this vein would be The Fall and Stereolab for example. But Douglas P he's the same but really has some very haunting tunes that make you feel a certain way.

[Post edited 8 Jun 8:33]
great song writers...... on 08:40 - Jun 8 with 678 viewsSpaceman_P

Regarding to Kate Bush.

I would actually elevate her to the weird zone of where songwriters are actual artists. Bush is in that level which seldom any musicians can actually get too.

She's there because she's been inventive, her lyrics are good, her songs have emotional depth, the albums are decent and she started so young and NEVER sold out. For me, Kate is in this strange place of ARTIST MUSICIAN which very few actually get to.

Some songs and albums get into this zone, but its rare for an actual person to be there IMO.

if anyone else can think of other GENIUS' who are like Kate, post them and explain why.
Login to get fewer ads

great song writers...... on 16:24 - Jun 8 with 594 viewsEsox_Lucius

great song writers...... on 08:40 - Jun 8 by Spaceman_P

Regarding to Kate Bush.

I would actually elevate her to the weird zone of where songwriters are actual artists. Bush is in that level which seldom any musicians can actually get too.

She's there because she's been inventive, her lyrics are good, her songs have emotional depth, the albums are decent and she started so young and NEVER sold out. For me, Kate is in this strange place of ARTIST MUSICIAN which very few actually get to.

Some songs and albums get into this zone, but its rare for an actual person to be there IMO.

if anyone else can think of other GENIUS' who are like Kate, post them and explain why.

Ani DiFranco. Owns her own record company and distribution, writes and plays on all her songs. She has released 23 studio albums and 4 live albums since 1980 and has a massive devoted fanbase and still touring.
Fiona Apple is another I would include in that and is also a talented actress and an exhibited artist too.

The grass is always greener.

great song writers...... on 13:22 - Jun 9 with 522 viewshubble

When I was in Penzance recently I was introduced to Daisy Rickman by a friend, who's also a friend of hers. I would put her in the genre of 'deep'. She's just breaking through as both a musician and an artist, fabulously talented at both:

Artwork: https://www.daisyrickman.com/

I think this is Feed the Forest, from her new album Howl:

Full album:

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

great song writers...... on 15:59 - Jun 9 with 486 viewswillesdenr

Apologies if I've missed it but can't see any mention Pete Townshend, probably one of the most prolific writers of pop/rock.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Songs_written_by_Pete_Townshend
great song writers...... on 16:41 - Jun 9 with 470 viewscolinallcars

great song writers...... on 15:45 - Jun 4 by dmm

Hear, hear. I continue to listen to Steely Dan and Fagan's solo albums after all these years. Perfection is what they did.

I'd never have heard Cathy Berberian without Steely Dan…
great song writers...... on 21:44 - Jun 11 with 377 viewsqprxtc

Andy Partridge
Colin Moulding

Shouldn’t take four pages before they’re mentioned you bunch of fecking heathens.
great song writers...... on 00:10 - Jun 12 with 334 viewsDannyPaddox

great song writers...... on 16:59 - May 28 by Woog

Michael Head
Willy Vlautin
Ian Curtis
Dittos for Nigel Blackwell, Kate Bush

Willy Vlautin is also a great novel writer. The Motel Life his debut is a wonderfully understated tome to bad-luck down-at-heel Americana. Tonally it’s Bukowski, Tom Waits, and Bobson Dugnutt in a bar all rueing the fact they’ve missed out on the ten cent beer night.
great song writers...... on 08:12 - Jun 12 with 295 viewsfrancisbowles

great song writers...... on 21:44 - Jun 11 by qprxtc

Andy Partridge
Colin Moulding

Shouldn’t take four pages before they’re mentioned you bunch of fecking heathens.

.....and what band might they be in?
great song writers...... on 10:01 - Jun 12 with 266 viewsEsox_Lucius

great song writers...... on 08:12 - Jun 12 by francisbowles

.....and what band might they be in?

The first one was in the Partridge family I think.

The grass is always greener.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024