Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Were there any rumours about this game being dodgy? 03:07 - Mar 12 with 7528 viewsMistication92

I was only a kid at the time so don't really remember it, just came across it on YouTube. BTW hilarious commentator.
Were there any rumours about this game being dodgy? on 12:55 - Mar 12 with 1905 viewsTheChef

Were there any rumours about this game being dodgy? on 11:33 - Mar 12 by daveB

I was so nervous before that game, I threw up twice that morning worrying about the consequences. At the time we were only 3 years out of the Premier League, I had grown up with the team pushing for top 6 in the Premier League, getting to cup finals and now this, it was terrifying.

My misses agreed to drive me from Middlesbrough to QPR that morning as there were no trains that weekend I just remember all the way down feeling sick with nerves. She had never seen us win so refused to go to the game, just drove me 5 hours down the motorway, dropped me off and she met up with some mates then drove me back the next day. My Dad had got me a ticket and my seat in the lower loft was pretty much where my season ticket is now. I didn't feel we were safe until the 4th went in, looking back I didn't need to worry but it was such a relief.

Ah yes I remember I had to drive back to Birmingham after the game as my finals were starting the next day, so couldn't really er, celebrate, too hard.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Were there any rumours about this game being dodgy? on 13:12 - Mar 12 with 1880 viewslightwaterhoop

The game was a complete farce but remember having a great time afterwards in the Goldhawk.

I had forgotten Andy Linighan played us.
Were there any rumours about this game being dodgy? on 13:31 - Mar 12 with 1851 viewsfrancisbowles

I didn't get to that game as I had to work that afternoon. I was flying across the Atlantic and asked the pilots to find out the score for me. I thought they were taking the p*ss when they said 6-0. I thought they were saying 6-0 to Palace but no they assured me it was to the Rrrs.
I was dumbfounded but very relieved.
Were there any rumours about this game being dodgy? on 16:14 - Mar 12 with 1761 viewsTomS

Looking at the goals, and the (in)action of Kevin Miller in goal for Palace, you have to be suspicious. It would seem many Palace fans were too:

https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=38844

He was sold that summer to Barnsley.

PS If the link doesn't work, Google cpfc.org did Miller take a bribe
[Post edited 12 Mar 2021 16:17]
Were there any rumours about this game being dodgy? on 16:22 - Mar 12 with 1747 viewsJuzzie

I was so tense about the outcome of the game I was just so relieved that we won and stayed up. A couple of early goals, a couple of Palace sendings off. I just thought it was one of those games where the opposition were on the beach and we were playing as if our lives depended on it (well, it did I guess).
Me and my mate got tiddly down the pub after. It's never really occurred to me it might have been 'pre-agreed'.
Were there any rumours about this game being dodgy? on 16:30 - Mar 12 with 1733 viewskensalriser

6-0 in a fixed game and Steve Slade still didn’t score. Perhaps they thought that really would be taking the piss.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Were there any rumours about this game being dodgy? on 18:16 - Mar 12 with 1678 viewsdavman

My older brother is Palace, a massive reason why I hate them. He was telling me all the way up to the game that we'd win 'cos they had nothing to play for. We went up with plenty of friends, got hammered before the game, then went our separate ways - him and his mates in the away end, me and mine in the Ellerslie.

Apparently he left at 4-0 and claimed that "your lot don' t sing". Then, post game we all end up in the Green and he gets into a fight with a 'Boro fan bizzarely - they were on the box and the Boro fan claimed that Dean Gordon was s**t. My bro disagreed and we had to break up a fight.

Really, really bizarre day.

Frankly, I couldn' t give a flying f**k if it was fixed. 6-0 was good then and its good now.

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Were there any rumours about this game being dodgy? on 18:30 - Mar 12 with 1666 viewsBoston

London clubs not trying too hard, at the end of the season when playing a neighbour, was pretty commonplace when I was a kid.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Login to get fewer ads

Were there any rumours about this game being dodgy? on 18:51 - Mar 12 with 1646 viewsHamptonR

One of my strong memories from the game was the odd behaviour of Morrison, he spent the whole 90 mins being an arse, it was a few seasons later when I realised that he was in fact a total arse!
Were there any rumours about this game being dodgy? on 18:59 - Mar 12 with 1632 viewscyprusmel

You want to see match fixing come to Cyprus.
I don't bother to go anymore.
Were there any rumours about this game being dodgy? on 19:36 - Mar 12 with 1604 viewsCiderwithRsie

Never mind George Kulscar, Tony bloody Scully scored. Kulscar was really, really terrible but Scully was the worst winger I have ever seen
Were there any rumours about this game being dodgy? on 19:47 - Mar 12 with 1587 viewsLeedsR

I was also really nervous that day about needing to get the right result to stay up. Never really occurred to me that it might have been pre-arranged - I just put it down to one club having nothing to play for and us with our divisional survival to maintain.

I took this really nice French lass to the match as she’d never been to the football before and by the time we were 4:0 up, she was saying that she felt sorry for Palace!! I told her that there was no need to be sorry for that lot!!

There was a mass pitch invasion at the end which we joined in with celebrating the fact that we had stayed up. As it started I remember laughing at a whole group of stewards, must have been 7 or 8 of them, chasing after 1 bloke and jumping on him whilst all around them everyone else was piling on to the pitch. There was also another steward giving a young lad in Ellerslie a stern talking to about not going on the pitch at the end whilst all his mates were running on either side of him regardless. Madness!!
Were there any rumours about this game being dodgy? on 20:39 - Mar 12 with 1535 viewsqueensparker

Remember it was a lovely day - bright sunshine and boiling hot.

God that team was sh*t, my worst year supporting Rangers I think. Diabolical. Even worse than the team that eventually went down the next season (at least we had a young Peter Crouch to watch that year).
[Post edited 12 Mar 2021 20:41]
Were there any rumours about this game being dodgy? on 22:45 - Mar 12 with 1441 viewsMrSheen

Were there any rumours about this game being dodgy? on 20:39 - Mar 12 by queensparker

God that team was sh*t, my worst year supporting Rangers I think. Diabolical. Even worse than the team that eventually went down the next season (at least we had a young Peter Crouch to watch that year).

The next season was the Stuart Wardley season. It was the one after we went down.
Were there any rumours about this game being dodgy? on 22:47 - Mar 12 with 1439 viewsMrSheen

Were there any rumours about this game being dodgy? on 19:36 - Mar 12 by CiderwithRsie

Never mind George Kulscar, Tony bloody Scully scored. Kulscar was really, really terrible but Scully was the worst winger I have ever seen

Scully also scored a belter when we were already 4-0 down at Oxford. Too late to save Harford’s job (and his Merc).
Were there any rumours about this game being dodgy? on 23:03 - Mar 12 with 1415 viewsted_hendrix

Were there any rumours about this game being dodgy? on 22:47 - Mar 12 by MrSheen

Scully also scored a belter when we were already 4-0 down at Oxford. Too late to save Harford’s job (and his Merc).

I go me a T shirt with the immortal words printed on it;

I WAS AT THE OLD MANOR GROUND-OXFORD ONE SHIT FRIDAY NIGHT WHEN BELIEVE IT OR NOT ANTHONY DEREK THOMAS SCULLY SCORED A GOAL, HONEST I KID YOU NOT THE ONE AND ONLY AND NEVER TO BE FORGOTTEN ANTHONY DEREK THOMAS SCULLY ACTUALLY PINGED ONE IN FROM A DISTANCE---OH HOW WE LAUGHED.
[Post edited 12 Mar 2021 23:05]

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Were there any rumours about this game being dodgy? on 23:13 - Mar 12 with 1407 viewsqueensparker

Were there any rumours about this game being dodgy? on 22:45 - Mar 12 by MrSheen

The next season was the Stuart Wardley season. It was the one after we went down.

Of course! That was a particularly depressing time I’ve blocked it out. Chris bloody Wright and Tony Scully
Were there any rumours about this game being dodgy? on 06:48 - Mar 13 with 1329 viewscyprusmel

I was at this game and if anyone on this board sees Gerry Francis can they please ask him why in a must win game he picked Tony Scully. From memory which is a bit stretched now he hadn't selected him for a while although he was fit to play.

I always wondered why the ref allowed the kick off to go ahead with all the balloons on the pitch. Thinking about it now after watching that clip again it must have been a time thing, delaying the kick off might have given us an advantage in the fact we would know the other scores before our game ended.
Were there any rumours about this game being dodgy? on 07:47 - Mar 13 with 1297 viewsbakerloo8

Bent as f*** this game. Probably best to delete this thread before the FA see it and retrospectively give us a £100bn fine and relegate us 6 divisions.
Were there any rumours about this game being dodgy? on 08:30 - Mar 13 with 1248 viewsMrSheen

Were there any rumours about this game being dodgy? on 23:13 - Mar 12 by queensparker

Of course! That was a particularly depressing time I’ve blocked it out. Chris bloody Wright and Tony Scully

Even the blue-sleeve kit with the lettering on was awful.
Were there any rumours about this game being dodgy? on 09:01 - Mar 13 with 1223 viewspaulparker

Were there any rumours about this game being dodgy? on 20:39 - Mar 12 by queensparker

Actually the following year we did ok, I think we finished around 11th , Steiner & kiwomya were forming a good partnership and we beat some good teams that year ,our problem was we drew a lot of games that season
It was also the season we had Beck up top for a bit

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Were there any rumours about this game being dodgy? on 09:23 - Mar 13 with 1192 viewsdistortR

Were there any rumours about this game being dodgy? on 19:36 - Mar 12 by CiderwithRsie

I remember when George Kulscar signed, talking to Joe Young about his debut.
I paraphrase him. "Good to see someone put in a tackle at last. Mind you, he got injured, they won't be doing that again"
[Post edited 13 Mar 2021 9:25]
Were there any rumours about this game being dodgy? on 11:07 - Mar 13 with 1143 viewsbollockchops

just spat out my Riciicles reading this so the only time we win big and its all to do with a bung ,that would explain the 86 league cup final,didnt have a ticket for this won so stayed in the british prince till half time then steamed in for the last 20 minutes
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024