Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Euro Referendum - What do Loft for Words posters think? 23:08 - Feb 19 with 41932 viewsGloryHunter

I was 22 in 1975, and I voted "No". This was based on my political heroes Michael Foot and Tony Benn warning against the dangers of entering the EU. After that, I softened my opposition somewhat. I like the fact that I can now cross most European borders without being searched and showing my passport, and I have since acquired a German wife, who is free to live and work in the UK (although she is not allowed to vote here, despite having paid UK taxes for 25 years). But, to be honest, I am thinking of voting "Out". What do other posters on here think?
Euro Referendum - What do Loft for Words posters think? on 16:56 - Feb 20 with 2858 viewsQPRDave

Euro Referendum - What do Loft for Words posters think? on 16:48 - Feb 20 by isawqpratwcity

Britain's economy is overwhelmingly skewed towards services. I don't see that sector increasing significantly because of leaving the EU while I do predict manufacturing decreasing.

If we left the EU the whole of Britain wouldn't crumble you know
£24 mill a day we plough manically into the Euro coffers....madness
Euro Referendum - What do Loft for Words posters think? on 17:04 - Feb 20 with 2848 viewsJackFrost

Euro Referendum - What do Loft for Words posters think? on 16:48 - Feb 20 by isawqpratwcity

Britain's economy is overwhelmingly skewed towards services. I don't see that sector increasing significantly because of leaving the EU while I do predict manufacturing decreasing.

Sure, London and financial services are vital to the UK (and will continue to be, if the HSBC example deciding to stay based in London is anything to go by), but we also have skilled and versatile manufacturing work forces across the country. We lost our car manufacturing companies in the 1970's , but foreign companies want their cars built here. At present, our economy is better than any other country in Europe, possibly bar Germany.
Euro Referendum - What do Loft for Words posters think? on 17:13 - Feb 20 with 2823 viewsisawqpratwcity

Euro Referendum - What do Loft for Words posters think? on 17:04 - Feb 20 by JackFrost

Sure, London and financial services are vital to the UK (and will continue to be, if the HSBC example deciding to stay based in London is anything to go by), but we also have skilled and versatile manufacturing work forces across the country. We lost our car manufacturing companies in the 1970's , but foreign companies want their cars built here. At present, our economy is better than any other country in Europe, possibly bar Germany.

It's car manufacturing I'm most concerned about. I suspect that Britain's car industry is strongly premised on Britain's EU status. You may disagree. When a country's car manufacturing goes, a lot of up-stream manufacturing goes with it.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Euro Referendum - What do Loft for Words posters think? on 17:20 - Feb 20 with 2810 viewsQPRDave

Euro Referendum - What do Loft for Words posters think? on 17:13 - Feb 20 by isawqpratwcity

It's car manufacturing I'm most concerned about. I suspect that Britain's car industry is strongly premised on Britain's EU status. You may disagree. When a country's car manufacturing goes, a lot of up-stream manufacturing goes with it.

" I suspect that Britain's car industry is strongly premised on Britain's EU status "

What does that sentence mean?...In stupid terms if you must
Euro Referendum - What do Loft for Words posters think? on 17:24 - Feb 20 with 2799 viewsessextaxiboy

Euro Referendum - What do Loft for Words posters think? on 17:13 - Feb 20 by isawqpratwcity

http://www.smmt.co.uk/2015/06/nissan-presses-on-with-uk-investment-in-37-million

Mike Hawes, SMMT Chief Executive, said, “This is great news for Nissan and its Sunderland workforce and follows more than £1 billion of fresh investment into UK vehicle production already announced this year. June 2015

Up stream manufacturers like like Bosch will be pushing for a trade deal if we leave . We are a big market for them to lose
[Post edited 20 Feb 2016 17:28]
Euro Referendum - What do Loft for Words posters think? on 17:25 - Feb 20 with 2801 viewsJackFrost

BMW have put in a lot of investment into the UK, and made money, because there's a talented work force here. They won't pull out, nor will German companies that have invested in our infrastructure, power etc - because it's profitable for them.

Nissan has indicated it won't pull out of the UK in the event of a Brexit. They'd lose more than they gain.

None of these companies want Brexit because they don't like change. But Britain will continue to be a huge draw for investment, particularly in hard worldwide economic times.
Euro Referendum - What do Loft for Words posters think? on 17:27 - Feb 20 with 2790 viewscyprusmel

Why would anyone vote to stay in a European union when apart from all the other on going problems the auditors have for the last 18 years never signed off the accounts because no one can tell them where the money goes to. 55 million pounds a day is the U.K contribution into the club funds.
Euro Referendum - What do Loft for Words posters think? (n/t) on 17:30 - Feb 20 with 2779 viewsessextaxiboy

Euro Referendum - What do Loft for Words posters think? on 17:27 - Feb 20 by cyprusmel

Why would anyone vote to stay in a European union when apart from all the other on going problems the auditors have for the last 18 years never signed off the accounts because no one can tell them where the money goes to. 55 million pounds a day is the U.K contribution into the club funds.

[Post edited 20 Feb 2016 17:31]
Login to get fewer ads

Euro Referendum - What do Loft for Words posters think? on 17:34 - Feb 20 with 2772 viewsisawqpratwcity

Euro Referendum - What do Loft for Words posters think? on 17:25 - Feb 20 by JackFrost

BMW have put in a lot of investment into the UK, and made money, because there's a talented work force here. They won't pull out, nor will German companies that have invested in our infrastructure, power etc - because it's profitable for them.

Nissan has indicated it won't pull out of the UK in the event of a Brexit. They'd lose more than they gain.

None of these companies want Brexit because they don't like change. But Britain will continue to be a huge draw for investment, particularly in hard worldwide economic times.

From experience, I don't put a lot of stock in what car manufacturers say. Rather their behaviour is best predicted by the availability of government subsidies. It will depend entirely on who has the deeper pockets: the EU, or Britain.

Euro Referendum - What do Loft for Words posters think? (n/t) on 17:38 - Feb 20 with 2763 viewsQPRDave

Euro Referendum - What do Loft for Words posters think? (n/t) on 17:30 - Feb 20 by essextaxiboy

[Post edited 20 Feb 2016 17:31]

55 million pounds a day is the U.K contribution into the club funds.

Euro Referendum - What do Loft for Words posters think? on 17:41 - Feb 20 with 2755 viewsessextaxiboy

Euro Referendum - What do Loft for Words posters think? on 17:34 - Feb 20 by isawqpratwcity

From experience, I don't put a lot of stock in what car manufacturers say. Rather their behaviour is best predicted by the availability of government subsidies. It will depend entirely on who has the deeper pockets: the EU, or Britain.

Isnt it against EU law for a member state to subsidise a private company. On the other hand an independent state can spend their money how they wish .
Euro Referendum - What do Loft for Words posters think? on 17:46 - Feb 20 with 2742 viewsJackFrost

Euro Referendum - What do Loft for Words posters think? on 17:34 - Feb 20 by isawqpratwcity

If an ongoing business has to be subsidised by government, there's something wrong with the business. We've faced that over steel.
Euro Referendum - What do Loft for Words posters think? on 17:55 - Feb 20 with 2723 viewsessextaxiboy

Euro Referendum - What do Loft for Words posters think? on 09:56 - Feb 20 by Mark1

Out.

I see Neil Woodford the investment bod says it'll make no difference economically if we leave.

I have a few bob invested with Neil Woodford I was sent that report yesterday and read it expecting it be be heavily towards staying . I was pleasantly surprised to read that worst scenario on leaving is likely to be neutral .

Woodford is the Don amongst fund managers
Euro Referendum - What do Loft for Words posters think? on 18:01 - Feb 20 with 2717 viewsJigsore

Some of which goes directly into underfunded areas of this country like the West Midlands, North East, Cornwall. I live in the North, do I think the government would put that amount of money anywhere near run down, Labour-supporting dumps? HAH. Only way we're getting that is moving to a postcode inside the M25.

Then more of that funding goes towards bringing the less affluent countries up to scratch and in the long run we're going to benefit from developed trade. And who knows, you might even get (non-retired) Brits emmigrating to countries other than the Central European ones for job opportunities. That'd be nice.

Of course we'd have more say in internal matters if we ever bothered to participate properly instead of just shouting I HATE YOU and slamming doors. You can bet an Anglo-German axis rather than a the Franco-German one we have now would play out differently for lots of things, especially France's overt influence over CAP

If we leave, which I don't believe we will but it'll be close like 55% to 45%, it'll almost certainly trigger another Scottish referendum and this time they'd choose to leave too. I bet Cameron is positively sh*tting himself at the prospect of been remembered as the PM who lost the EU and the Scots.

“The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.”

Euro Referendum - What do Loft for Words posters think? on 18:03 - Feb 20 with 2712 viewsTheBlob

A huge,landslide OUT votr.
But we'll stay in strangely.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Euro Referendum - What do Loft for Words posters think? on 18:09 - Feb 20 with 2697 viewsJackFrost

Euro Referendum - What do Loft for Words posters think? on 18:01 - Feb 20 by Jigsore

Some of which goes directly into underfunded areas of this country like the West Midlands, North East, Cornwall. I live in the North, do I think the government would put that amount of money anywhere near run down, Labour-supporting dumps? HAH. Only way we're getting that is moving to a postcode inside the M25.

Then more of that funding goes towards bringing the less affluent countries up to scratch and in the long run we're going to benefit from developed trade. And who knows, you might even get (non-retired) Brits emmigrating to countries other than the Central European ones for job opportunities. That'd be nice.

Of course we'd have more say in internal matters if we ever bothered to participate properly instead of just shouting I HATE YOU and slamming doors. You can bet an Anglo-German axis rather than a the Franco-German one we have now would play out differently for lots of things, especially France's overt influence over CAP

If we leave, which I don't believe we will but it'll be close like 55% to 45%, it'll almost certainly trigger another Scottish referendum and this time they'd choose to leave too. I bet Cameron is positively sh*tting himself at the prospect of been remembered as the PM who lost the EU and the Scots.

Good point about Cameron. He may play dirty if he thinks he's losing, getting the TV media to favour the establishment etc (after all, he's PR and advertising) - but if he does, he could cause problems in the Tory party for years
Euro Referendum - What do Loft for Words posters think? on 18:11 - Feb 20 with 2696 viewsHollowayRanger

I think the britexit team need boris Johnson to stand a chance of winning they need a major main stream figurehead

if he votes to stay tomorrow then I think we will

NOT because of him but because britexit team just doesn't have enough punch to make an impact

Listen to the band play!
Poll: How much will you pay for adult season ticket next season if in championship

Euro Referendum - What do Loft for Words posters think? on 18:19 - Feb 20 with 2690 viewsisawqpratwcity

Euro Referendum - What do Loft for Words posters think? on 17:46 - Feb 20 by JackFrost

If an ongoing business has to be subsidised by government, there's something wrong with the business. We've faced that over steel.

I think most countries would subsidise whatever car industries they have. It comes down to who will subsidise them more.

Of course it is preferable not to sudsidise the car industry, but a period of transition will be required to develop a new industry (what might that be? who knows?!) without collapsing Britain's manufacturing base.

Euro Referendum - What do Loft for Words posters think? on 19:21 - Feb 20 with 2628 viewsderbyhoop

Euro Referendum - What do Loft for Words posters think? on 11:26 - Feb 20 by ozexile

I'm too far away to have a valid opinion. But fantastic debate guys to listen to all sides. This is why I love this site.

Both sides? 2 pages in and all I read is a few people saying in, while the vocal majority are saying out for disparate reasons. Let me try to redress the balance.

The out lot think our trade won't be seriously affected. Yet virtually every survey predicts a drop, even if they cannot agree on the scale. The best I've seen is a 0.5% fall and the worst 9.8% - double the downturn in 2008/09.

The UK would have 2 years to get trade agreements in place with countries or the EU all of whom would be mighty p***ed off with our decision. There is a precedent. Greenland came in the 1970s as part of Denmark. When they voted to come out in 1982 it took 3 years, with Danish help, to negotiate an agreement for ONEbasic industry, fishing, covering 56,000 people. Who would help us? How much would we lose? How many jobs would be affected?

Yes, we have a trade deficit with the EU, but, while they would be happy to continue selling to the UK, would they be prepared to buy UK goods with tariffs on top of what we sell for now.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Euro Referendum - What do Loft for Words posters think? on 19:34 - Feb 20 with 2603 viewsDiscodroids

after six years of blaming the EU for her failure to deport terrorists, criminals and hate-preachers Theresa May is campaigning to remain. Incompetent fcking self serving bearded hag.

The EU are useful to the likes of Cameron and Corbyn insofar as they provide a lightning-rod to deflect from our home-grown politicians incompetence.

raze them to the ground.

"The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn".

Euro Referendum - What do Loft for Words posters think? on 19:35 - Feb 20 with 2605 viewsQPRDave

Euro Referendum - What do Loft for Words posters think? on 18:03 - Feb 20 by TheBlob

A huge,landslide OUT votr.
But we'll stay in strangely.

And I believe this is a real possibility .....
Euro Referendum - What do Loft for Words posters think? on 19:52 - Feb 20 with 2579 viewsQPRDave

Euro Referendum - What do Loft for Words posters think? on 18:01 - Feb 20 by Jigsore

Interested to know, what exactly have you got to show in the north for all this funding.
In Cornwall the EU are or the govt, are asking for the money back now .

Steve Double, Conservative MP for St Austell and Newquay, said the clawback was "completely being driven by the EU Commission".
Euro Referendum - What do Loft for Words posters think? on 19:55 - Feb 20 with 2572 viewsQPRDave

Euro Referendum - What do Loft for Words posters think? on 19:21 - Feb 20 by derbyhoop

Both sides? 2 pages in and all I read is a few people saying in, while the vocal majority are saying out for disparate reasons. Let me try to redress the balance.

The out lot think our trade won't be seriously affected. Yet virtually every survey predicts a drop, even if they cannot agree on the scale. The best I've seen is a 0.5% fall and the worst 9.8% - double the downturn in 2008/09.

The UK would have 2 years to get trade agreements in place with countries or the EU all of whom would be mighty p***ed off with our decision. There is a precedent. Greenland came in the 1970s as part of Denmark. When they voted to come out in 1982 it took 3 years, with Danish help, to negotiate an agreement for ONEbasic industry, fishing, covering 56,000 people. Who would help us? How much would we lose? How many jobs would be affected?

Yes, we have a trade deficit with the EU, but, while they would be happy to continue selling to the UK, would they be prepared to buy UK goods with tariffs on top of what we sell for now.

Surely the last paragraph is missing the point that we can and will negotiate a free trade deal..
Euro Referendum - What do Loft for Words posters think? on 20:26 - Feb 20 with 2538 viewsJigsore

Euro Referendum - What do Loft for Words posters think? on 19:52 - Feb 20 by QPRDave

Interested to know, what exactly have you got to show in the north for all this funding.
In Cornwall the EU are or the govt, are asking for the money back now .

Steve Double, Conservative MP for St Austell and Newquay, said the clawback was "completely being driven by the EU Commission".

the EU paid for high speed internet for nearly every house in North Yorkshire

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/internet-revolution-under-way-in-rural-yorks

I can guarantee you we wouldn't see a penny of that otherwise

“The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.”

Euro Referendum - What do Loft for Words posters think? on 20:26 - Feb 20 with 2534 viewsessextaxiboy

Euro Referendum - What do Loft for Words posters think? on 19:21 - Feb 20 by derbyhoop

They are not disparate reasons , just reasons .
To compare our economy with Greenland is like comparing Rangers with the Dog and Duck 2nd 11. In 1982 there was nothing online at all . Trade agreements would easily be done in the two years it will take to exit .

They would not be p*issed off with our decision just terrifed of it . Who would help us ? No one..we are the 5th largest economy in the world .

If we have a good product that wil make someone a profit they will buy it.

TBH you need a bit more than that .
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024