Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bridge of Spies/Dr Strangelove 16:28 - Dec 9 with 13685 viewspomanjou

For those of a certain age the name Gary Powers will provoke cold war memories. He was shot down whilst flying at 70,000 feet over Russia in May 1960 whilst on a recce.
At the time I was 22 and for a while thought this may be the end of the world. The new Bridge of Spies film is a very good factudrama of the events. Saw it yesterday.

Today I watched a DVD of Dr Strangelove, or how I learned to stop worrying and Love the bomb. Trific film with Peter Sellars in multiple roles as upper class RAF twit, US president and mad scientist. Played for laughs and a great send up of American typecasts. Creepy fiction based around facts.

Currently residing in Pinner, Centre of the Universe.
Poll: we have a timetable for Brexit, should there be a referendum for the English

Bridge of Spies/Dr Strangelove on 19:26 - Apr 3 with 1252 viewsTacticalR

Bridge of Spies/Dr Strangelove on 19:00 - Apr 3 by PunteR

You dont rate Oldman?

Fifth Element was pants but i thought he was ace in Leon. Yes he's completely over the top in that , but you compare that performance to his George Smiley's and you can see how versatile he is as an actor. Granted there's about 20 years in between the two films though.
I think he's great.

I'm afraid I can't stand him!

I was just thinking that The Fifth Element and Léon were both Luc Bresson films, and maybe Bresson let him do whatever he wanted. Then again, he pretty much did the same thing in The Book of Eli which came out a few years ago.

Air hostess clique

Bridge of Spies/Dr Strangelove on 22:48 - Apr 3 with 1215 viewsPunteR

Bridge of Spies/Dr Strangelove on 19:26 - Apr 3 by TacticalR

I was just thinking that The Fifth Element and Léon were both Luc Bresson films, and maybe Bresson let him do whatever he wanted. Then again, he pretty much did the same thing in The Book of Eli which came out a few years ago.

I still havnt seen The Book of Eli which stars another fav actor of mine .. Mr D Washington.
I thought Oldman became famous through the tv film The Firm and the film Sid and Nancy a couple of years previous? Not a stage actor then Hollywood?
Anyway, we're veering off topic. I still havnt seen either Bridge of Spies or Dr Strangelove.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Bridge of Spies/Dr Strangelove on 12:24 - Apr 4 with 1191 viewssimmo

Bridge of Spies/Dr Strangelove on 19:26 - Apr 3 by TacticalR

To be fair the Book of Eli is also a shite film, but I like Oldman. I think he's a good commisioner Gordon too.

I really wanted to like Tinker Tailor but I was just bored the whole way through, Bridge of Spies is hadly fast paced but is far more engaging.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Bridge of Spies/Dr Strangelove on 12:49 - Apr 4 with 1174 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Bridge of Spies/Dr Strangelove on 19:00 - Apr 3 by PunteR

You dont rate Oldman?

Fifth Element was pants but i thought he was ace in Leon. Yes he's completely over the top in that , but you compare that performance to his George Smiley's and you can see how versatile he is as an actor. Granted there's about 20 years in between the two films though.
I think he's great.

I thought he was very good in TTSS but, like Tactical, would have rated his early work as Rickman-esque!

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Bridge of Spies/Dr Strangelove on 12:57 - Apr 4 with 1172 views18StoneOfHoop

Bridge of Spies/Dr Strangelove on 12:24 - Apr 4 by simmo

To be fair the Book of Eli is also a shite film, but I like Oldman. I think he's a good commisioner Gordon too.

I really wanted to like Tinker Tailor but I was just bored the whole way through, Bridge of Spies is hadly fast paced but is far more engaging.

I really wanted to like Bridge Of Spies..a lot of posters I respect on here rated it. Tried the Dvd again earlier today. Stopped after 15 minutes..dull derivative and slow.

Didn't think that much of the so-so TTSS Oldman film but the iconic meat-for-the-mind BBC Guinness series was different class,groundbreaking and spell-binding.One of the best of british acting talent casts ever assembled.Superb opening and closing credits and theme music.

You post a lot of considered insightful sense on football simmo but different strokes for different folks I s'pose.

'I'm 18 with a bullet.Got my finger on the trigger,I'm gonna pull it.." Love,Peace and Fook Chelski! More like 20StoneOfHoop now. Let's face it I'm not getting any thinner. Pass the cake and pies please.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024